Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

change my name posted:

Wizards already makes MTG, I'm sure they've learned how to properly apply, preserve, and retire keywords by now
MTG and D&D are both under WotC, but just lol if you think the two were in any way comparable in terms of resourcing and talent during the development of 5E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Splicer posted:

MTG and D&D are both under WotC, but just lol if you think the two were in any way comparable in terms of resourcing and talent during the development of 5E

I was being sarcastic anyways

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Another way to do combos could be something like Gloomhaven's element board. In Gloomhaven, one player can generate an elemental charge, and subsequent players or enemies can consume it within the next few rounds to get a bonus effect. Just apply it to non elemental concepts.

The wizard just cast fireball, which means they created a Distraction. The party rogue can use that Distraction to do a sneak attack, or the bard can use it to make a dramatic strike. The warlock just summoned the Hunger of Hadar, which introduces Eldritch Energy to the fight. They want to use it next turn to power up their eldritch blasts, but oh no! The enemy aboleth consumed it first, allowing them to target an additional creature with Enslave!

For grease, make so it will cause a grease fire if Fire is already present in the encounter. If it is not, then the grease isn't flammable.

Tenik fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 15, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tenik posted:

Another way to do combos could be something like Gloomhaven's element board. In Gloomhaven, one player can generate an elemental charge, and subsequent players or enemies can consume it within the next few rounds to get a bonus effect. Just apply it to non elemental concepts.

The wizard just cast fireball, which means they created a Distraction. The party rogue can use that Distraction to do a sneak attack, or the bard can use it to make a dramatic strike. The warlock just summoned the Hunger of Hadar, which introduces Eldritch Energy to the fight. They want to use it next turn to power up their eldritch blasts, but oh no! The enemy aboleth consumed it first, allowing them to target an additional creature with Enslave!

For grease, make so it will cause a grease fire if Fire is already present in the encounter. If it is not, then the grease isn't flammable.
I'm playing a fun computer game called Halcyon 6. Most attacks apply one of 7 debuffs. Some attacks "exploit" specific debuffs, doing extra damage or effect but in doing so consuming the debuff. It's a fun system.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
I'm a first time DM with extremely limited playing experience (a couple of D20 Modern sessions like... 15 years ago) setting up Lost Mines for some other total newbies.

I'm copying over some monster stat blocks for quicker reference and was wondering if I'll ever need to know a monster's actual ability scores? It seems to me all I'll ever need are the modifiers. Is there something I'm missing?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bear named tators posted:

I'm a first time DM with extremely limited playing experience (a couple of D20 Modern sessions like... 15 years ago) setting up Lost Mines for some other total newbies.

I'm copying over some monster stat blocks for quicker reference and was wondering if I'll ever need to know a monster's actual ability scores? It seems to me all I'll ever need are the modifiers. Is there something I'm missing?

Scores matter almost never. Mods is enough.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
I feel like the only time it comes up is a few spells require a stat to be above or below a certain number for it to work. Like the Awaken spell fails if what you cast it on has an intelligence greater than 3. Which you can extrapolate from the modifier but for ease of use, is handy.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

bear named tators posted:

theres an argument to be made that knowing the numbers is better because you can derive the modifiers trivially, but the modifier is what you are working with 95% of the time so the inverse argument is also true. there are some cases though where if you are doing some sort of rooftop battle the raw strength score matters for long jump distance whereupon some 8 strength creature is chasing a 10+ strength player, and the player can make the jump without a check, but the creature can not.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Unless you were bonkers enough to allow a PC shadow sidekick I don't think there's any ability damage?

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
If you need a quick reference sheet, find where the stats blocks are online, copy 'em, paste 'em into a .jpg or something. You can shrink them, still keep them usable and not have to flip around the books.

Plus you can use them as a book mark, or something, or quick notes if you want to add an attack to the Goblins, or give one a name so you won't forget.

When I was running a paper Storm King's Thunder, I just kept a small paper with all the base giant stats on it, plus the extra abilities given to them by the module. It proved pretty handy the entire time.

For most of the first part, you'll just need Bugbears, Goblins and Wolves.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Also have the stats for an enemy a few CRs higher than they can handle. 'Accidentally' leave it out to scare the poo poo out of your players.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Man that permanent health reduction from clay golem slams is nasty, especially if you're not somewhere where you can easily reach a high-level cleric

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Also have the stats for an enemy a few CRs higher than they can handle. 'Accidentally' leave it out to scare the poo poo out of your players.

This can definitely backfire with the wrong type of players.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
I'm prototyping an encounter set with a co-dm. He threw a carrion crawler with its poison respecced as a concentration paralysis ability, 5 cultists with boosted abilities, and a cultist caster using hold person and command. I was a lvl 5 bugbear echo knight polearm fighter. I used all of my unleash incarnations and action surge. I went down to 1/3rd hp.

According to kobold fight club that is a deadly/3x deadly fight. How much can I read into those results for balance?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What was the rest of your party? Or are you saying that your character soloed that encounter? Because that sounds a bit implausible to me!

belated edit: also gonna note that it makes a huge difference whether you make your saves on the paralysis / Hold Person, and a similar difference whether the caster goes before the party or after. That implies that that encounter is gonna be pretty unpredictable in terms of balance, with multiple different attempts having pretty widely different outcomes.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 17, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's probably soloable depending on the spread. A Cultist has sub 10 hp. Assuming boosted abilities doesn't mean boosted HP They are reliably one shottable with one attack.

Which means between the reach and the ability to attack from two different locations you can spread your attacks effectively. 6 attacks(action surge and incarnation) you might be able to just like wipe the fodder in a turn or two.

That encounter doesn't sound that deadly for a party at level 5 tho.

It's pointless feedback without like the stat blocks and more info on the scenario.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What was the rest of your party? Or are you saying that your character soloed that encounter? Because that sounds a bit implausible to me!

belated edit: also gonna note that it makes a huge difference whether you make your saves on the paralysis / Hold Person, and a similar difference whether the caster goes before the party or after. That implies that that encounter is gonna be pretty unpredictable in terms of balance, with multiple different attempts having pretty widely different outcomes.

I did solo the thing. Tight, limiting terrain but free line of site all around. I also made my saves on the first and second times I was paralyzed, and the caster got me one more time when he was all that was left, but that didn't keep me away long.

We are intending to run the thing as a defend a point for x numbers of turn encounter. Party will be in a central location with lots of 5' wide walkways. Start them with cultists with shields and generic cultist mooks behind them. Next they get a caster and some mooks that throw dynamite that blows up on a coin flip after they throw it to force them to move around. Finally we have a reskinned carrion crawler spider climb up to their platform and start grabbing people with a paralyze attack and start pulling people around. Once they kill it the elevator arrives. We throw a ridiculous wave of cultists at them to coax them into it then move to the next scene. I was trying to do a mini version of the fight with all the elements together.

This is going to be encounter number one of likely three.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Is the soulknife rogue in tasha's the first thing to have no long range?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nyyen posted:

I did solo the thing. Tight, limiting terrain but free line of site all around. I also made my saves on the first and second times I was paralyzed, and the caster got me one more time when he was all that was left, but that didn't keep me away long.

We are intending to run the thing as a defend a point for x numbers of turn encounter. Party will be in a central location with lots of 5' wide walkways. Start them with cultists with shields and generic cultist mooks behind them. Next they get a caster and some mooks that throw dynamite that blows up on a coin flip after they throw it to force them to move around. Finally we have a reskinned carrion crawler spider climb up to their platform and start grabbing people with a paralyze attack and start pulling people around. Once they kill it the elevator arrives. We throw a ridiculous wave of cultists at them to coax them into it then move to the next scene. I was trying to do a mini version of the fight with all the elements together.

This is going to be encounter number one of likely three.
Testing what you can solo isn't going to give useful info for an encounter you're planning to run vs a group. If you want to test it you'll need to run four characters vs the encounter. Action economy is king.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Dear 5e thread,
I have a Great Old One warlock who is going to eventually be trying to kidnap an NPC who was raised by and is very loyal to the government, so that in theory our group can take him around the world to broaden his perspective and flip him. I'm going to try and persuade him first but there's a good chance it'll come down to knocking him out long enough to get him away.
Is Charm Person or Tasha's Hideous Laughter a better backup plan if my warlock can't talk his way through the problem?
Charmed person will be a harder spell to land if it turns into combat, and going by the RAW it just means we're buds for an hour, which doesn't necessarily guarantee his full cooperation.
Hideous Lsughter is more fun flavor wise, would have the same chance to hit regardless of combat, and would disable him enough that someone can tie him up, but it only lasts a minute assuming he doesn't save, which is a much tighter window.
The DM has confirmed that we will level up before this big confrontation happens, so I want to be careful about what spell I pick up. This is my first warlock so I'm not familiar with the spells in practice.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Is the soulknife rogue in tasha's the first thing to have no long range?

Soul knife can throw their blades 60 feet, which is about right as rogues don't get longbow proficiency on their own. Unless you mean the first soul knife without long range, then probably

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Dear 5e thread,
I have a Great Old One warlock who is going to eventually be trying to kidnap an NPC who was raised by and is very loyal to the government, so that in theory our group can take him around the world to broaden his perspective and flip him. I'm going to try and persuade him first but there's a good chance it'll come down to knocking him out long enough to get him away.
Is Charm Person or Tasha's Hideous Laughter a better backup plan if my warlock can't talk his way through the problem?
Charmed person will be a harder spell to land if it turns into combat, and going by the RAW it just means we're buds for an hour, which doesn't necessarily guarantee his full cooperation.
Hideous Lsughter is more fun flavor wise, would have the same chance to hit regardless of combat, and would disable him enough that someone can tie him up, but it only lasts a minute assuming he doesn't save, which is a much tighter window.
The DM has confirmed that we will level up before this big confrontation happens, so I want to be careful about what spell I pick up. This is my first warlock so I'm not familiar with the spells in practice.

Can you use Suggestion to have him agree to come along? It's a level 2 spell that lasts 8 hours, so plenty of time to get out. But I don't know your level.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Braking Gnus posted:

Can you use Suggestion to have him agree to come along? It's a level 2 spell that lasts 8 hours, so plenty of time to get out. But I don't know your level.

That could work. We're starting at level 1, so I know I'll have level 2 by then, but it's very possible the DM will have us at level 3 at that point, which would open that up as an option. Thanks!

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

change my name posted:

Soul knife can throw their blades 60 feet, which is about right as rogues don't get longbow proficiency on their own. Unless you mean the first soul knife without long range, then probably

Longbows have a long range, though, and throwing soul knives specifically doesn't. You can throw them 60 feet without getting disadvantage but you can attempt to hit someone at any range, and I can't think of anything else that has that property.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Longbows have a long range, though, and throwing soul knives specifically doesn't. You can throw them 60 feet without getting disadvantage but you can attempt to hit someone at any range, and I can't think of anything else that has that property.

I interpreted the "no long range" thing to mean it has no long range further than the 60ft normal range. So if you wrote out its range like any other ranged weapon, it would be Range: 60/60, not Range: 60:infinity.

It's a roundabout way of making a weapon's ranged attack work like a spell attack, where you can target out to 60ft and no farther.

Moose King fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 17, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Dear 5e thread,
Have you considered ether?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Oh oops, I misread your initial question as them having no long-range attack option

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Moose King posted:

I interpreted the "no long range" thing to mean it has no long range further than the 60ft normal range. So if you wrote out its range like any other ranged weapon, it would be Range: 60/60, not Range: 60:infinity.

It's a roundabout way of making a weapon's ranged attack work like a spell attack, where you can target out to 60ft and no farther.

This is the way I interpreted it as well. It’s the most logical explanation.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Moose King posted:

nelson posted:

This is the way I interpreted it as well. It’s the most logical explanation.

That's not how long range works, though.

PHB posted:

Range. A weapon that can be used to make a ranged attack has a range shown in parentheses after the ammunition or thrown property. The range lists two numbers. The first is the weapon's normal range in feet, and the second indicates the weapon's long range. When attacking a target beyond normal range, you have disadvantage on the attack roll. You can't attack a target beyond the weapon's long range.

If the intent was "60 feet and only 60 feet", the long range would be 60 feet. Like maybe that was the intent at some point but with how it's written by the rules you can explicitly throw your psi knives at something 1000 feet away as long as you can target it for a ranged attack.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

That's not how long range works, though.

If the intent was "60 feet and only 60 feet", the long range would be 60 feet. Like maybe that was the intent at some point but with how it's written by the rules you can explicitly throw your psi knives at something 1000 feet away as long as you can target it for a ranged attack.

Ah, hah. Good point. I would still interpret it the way that makes the most sense instead of the infinite range RAW way.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I've been playing LMoP with a group of 5 players for a while now, and the group just entered the final dungeon. Having read the adventure and ppl's reactions online, I thought to spice up the fight with Nezznar at the end. Searching around I've found this: https://crazymyrmidon.wordpress.com/2019/05/08/the-battle-against-nezznar/ which looks to be pretty awesome, but I'm worried it'll completely wipe my party. I reckon that the party will most likely be lvl 4 by the time they fight Nezznar, I was wondering if any of you have recommendations to make the content of that link work yet lowering the challenge so they won't wipe.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

nelson posted:

Ah, hah. Good point. I would still interpret it the way that makes the most sense instead of the infinite range RAW way.

this is probably the correct approach although if you’re dming it’s your table so rule how you want, that being said:

it specifies no long range, but which is more likely:
-wotc/crawford decided that they wanted to give rogues an attack with the longest range in the game, to target things they couldn’t even see, and make this the only attack structured like that, and the only tradeoff being disadvantage (unless you take sharpshooter)
-it’s a poorly worded ability that has a range of 60 feet

and then i guess if you as a player are still thinking “well we’re going RAW because that’s the way we read stuff” then i guess ask yourself how likely it is you’re going to be targeting stuff more than 60 feet away (uncommon unless the encounter was specifically built with ranged combat and limited/difficult terrain in mind), and how much of this your dm will actually let you get away with (probably a lot tbh)

that’s kind of my major beef with a lot of youtube/3d6 theorycrafting: i love players who want to use their abilities creatively and explore the limits of their abilities and really engage with stuff, but i hate when people try to barf out half-remembered reddit posts and bits from treantmonk to try and break the game over their knee because it’s “optimal”. nobody likes a munchkin; i think the soulknife thing is ultimately pretty harmless because it’s not going to slow down play for everyone else but i also wouldn’t build it with “infinity range” in mind as something you’re definitely, no doubt gonna do at your table

Real UK Grime
Jun 16, 2009
I can't ever see it being ruled as infinite range, though there is a part of me that wants to see the Soulknife/Eagle Totem barb/1200ft Eldritch Blast sorcerer gimmick guild.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Declan MacManus posted:

it specifies no long range, but which is more likely:
-wotc/crawford decided that they wanted to give rogues an attack with the longest range in the game, to target things they couldn't even see, and make this the only attack structured like that, and the only tradeoff being disadvantage (unless you take sharpshooter)
-it's a poorly worded ability that has a range of 60 feet

I don't disagre with you on this point, but I don't agree that this is some kind of tortured "well the book never specifies that "drowning" gives you the "dead" condition" RAW stuff, long range is specifically defined and then this goes out of its way to reference that definition. If they'd just said the range was 60 feet I wouldn't be in here arguing that the long range had to be infinite because they never SAID there was a long range. And while I don't think that Crawford was like "oh yeah, the special feature of psiknives should be that they can shoot further than a longbow", they do seem to have made the odd decision of making throwing psi knives extremely practical compared to stabbing people with them, considering it basically gives you the quickdraw ablity of the throwing weapons fighting style for free but the raw damage is less than just using a mundane rapier/shortsword combo unless the enemy resists slashing damage.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

that’s kind of my major beef with a lot of youtube/3d6 theorycrafting: i love players who want to use their abilities creatively and explore the limits of their abilities and really engage with stuff, but i hate when people try to barf out half-remembered reddit posts and bits from treantmonk to try and break the game over their knee because it’s “optimal”. nobody likes a munchkin; i think the soulknife thing is ultimately pretty harmless because it’s not going to slow down play for everyone else but i also wouldn’t build it with “infinity range” in mind as something you’re definitely, no doubt gonna do at your table

Which is funny cause Treanmonk's personally not got much patience for the "well, the rules don't say I can't" school of optimization.

pee air
May 8, 2007

This is not my personal opinion.

I don't disagre with you on this point, but I don't agree that this is some kind of tortured "well the book never specifies that "drowning" gives you the "dead" condition" RAW stuff, long range is specifically defined and then this goes out of its way to reference that definition. If they'd just said the range was 60 feet I wouldn't be in here arguing that the long range had to be infinite because they never SAID there was a long range. And while I don't think that Crawford was like "oh yeah, the special feature of psiknives should be that they can shoot further than a longbow", they do seem to have made the odd decision of making throwing psi knives extremely practical compared to stabbing people with them, considering it basically gives you the quickdraw ablity of the throwing weapons fighting style for free but the raw damage is less than just using a mundane rapier/shortsword combo unless the enemy resists slashing damage.

All ranged/thrown weapons have a long range, so they're referencing long range here specifically as an exception - being that psychic blades have none. Tasha's says they have no long range, and the range rules say that you have disadvantage when attacking long range and can't attack beyond that. Since there's no long range, you can't attack at disadvantage due to range. That's some bizarre logic are you using to arrive at "no long range = infinite long range".

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

pee air posted:

All ranged/thrown weapons have a long range, so they're referencing long range here specifically as an exception - being that psychic blades have none. Tasha's says they have no long range, and the range rules say that you have disadvantage when attacking long range and can't attack beyond that. Since there's no long range, you can't attack at disadvantage due to range. That's some bizarre logic are you using to arrive at "no long range = infinite long range".

See Taciturn’s post above. By raw, beyond normal range is disadvantage. Beyond long range is not possible.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

If something has no long range, surely every attack is beyond long range :thunk:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Assuming the desired result is "the maximum range is the same as the normal range", the way you'd achieve it is "(range 60/60)" or "The normal range is 60, it is not possible to use the weapon at a longer range" if you have to write it out long form for some reason.

Not "the weapon has no long range" in a game that uses "long range" and "maximum range" interchangeably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's a psychic knife, it can only exist within 60' of the rogue which is not far away enough for accuracy to be at disadvantage. Plus it's a psychic knife.