Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

kingcobweb posted:

Ahh you’re right, I forgot how old DotA was. How about “predates the rise of MOBAs as a genre outside of the original custom map”

:goonsay: um actually the original was Aeon of Strife, DotA was just the one that got all popular.

But yeah MOBA as a genre wasn't really a thing when GW came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Lord_Magmar posted:

Problem is there’s never been a PvE oriented MMO that successfully escaped the trinity. Guild Wars 2 tried to have it be that you didn’t need those things and whilst you could do group instances with all dps it wasn’t very well balanced for it. It creates a solid framework for encounter design that allows players to enjoy playing the game in different ways.

You could make a pretty solid argument that FF11 escaped it for most of its run, being designed as a tank/sustained DPS/burst DPS/heals/buffer pentagon and settling into its own sustained DPS/burst DPS/buffer triangle, ironically pretty similar to a League bruiser/mage/enchanter triangle where the bruiser has one tank ability and that's enough/enchanter has one heal and that's enough.

OTOH this is not the kind of structure you'd hire Ghostcrawler to build, the kind of structure that plays well with data-driven balance, or the kind of structure that has any chance of balanced PvP in a game where spamming the Arathi Basin-alike as someone ~on the Institute of War shortlist~ or whatever the replacement lore is will presumably be a big part of the fantasy for a lot of people.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

lol at anyone comparing nidalee and zoe. imagine if your teammates could walk up to an enemy and remove most of the damage ratio from nidalee Q with a single AA

i do agree with the guy who said you should never get hit by a nidalee spear, that's why she's been unplayable in pro play for her entire existence

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mandoric posted:

You could make a pretty solid argument that FF11 escaped it for most of its run, being designed as a tank/sustained DPS/burst DPS/heals/buffer pentagon and settling into its own sustained DPS/burst DPS/buffer triangle, ironically pretty similar to a League bruiser/mage/enchanter triangle where the bruiser has one tank ability and that's enough/enchanter has one heal and that's enough.

OTOH this is not the kind of structure you'd hire Ghostcrawler to build, the kind of structure that plays well with data-driven balance, or the kind of structure that has any chance of balanced PvP in a game where spamming the Arathi Basin-alike as someone ~on the Institute of War shortlist~ or whatever the replacement lore is will presumably be a big part of the fantasy for a lot of people.

if you're designing a game to have good/interesting pvp it should absolutely NOT have holy-trinity style healers and tanks

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The hit box on a Nidalee spear will hit you halfway across the map.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Healing is in one way or another basically the entire reason why WoW pvp has been as much of a mess as it has been for 15 years, I expect Riot will take steps to avoid that problem especially since they've had their own struggles with healing in LoL for so long.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it is also why overwatch sucks rear end

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Healing is in one way or another basically the entire reason why WoW pvp has been as much of a mess as it has been for 15 years, I expect Riot will take steps to avoid that problem especially since they've had their own struggles with healing in LoL for so long.

i suspect they wont because theyve bungled every attempt at curtailing it

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

if you're designing a game to have good/interesting pvp it should absolutely NOT have holy-trinity style healers and tanks

Totally agreed, just not how FF11 did it (which was essentially "pick any other build in the game, get everything but its ult at rank 3" in LoL terms.)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've finally found a decent AP jungle I enjoy.

Spooking everyone to death as Fiddlesticks is fun as gently caress.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

SirSamVimes posted:

I've finally found a decent AP jungle I enjoy.

Spooking everyone to death as Fiddlesticks is fun as gently caress.

I think people are sleeping on Fiddlesticks tbh. Now that his ult cast time is so low he can just walk into a lane to cast it and still get good ganks off, never mind the terrifying "over the wall from your own jungle pentakill" thing he can sometimes do at lower elos.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really dig that a bunch of his voicelines seem to be him just repeating the last words of his various victims. "See? Nothing more than a scarecrow."

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

SirSamVimes posted:

I really dig that a bunch of his voicelines seem to be him just repeating the last words of his various victims. "See? Nothing more than a scarecrow."

"Fiddlesticks is just a fable. A story to scare children."

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
It can't possibly be worse than Neverwinter, so, gently caress it, I'm on board.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

SirSamVimes posted:

I really like that all of his new voicelines are him mimicking his victims.

The one about him being in the house... :gonk:

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I think I've have jhin'd 6 times since the item patch and every time I've just absolutely stomped. Once you get 3rd item RFC you just kinda sleepwalk right clicking people, occasionally bothering to mash R when theres a big engage

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Fiddlesticks is in a really good place right now and was one of my favorites last season too, run predator on him if you really want to get some saucy ganks going, otherwise dark harvest or electrocute if people keep walking away with 2% health.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 19, 2020

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

fid has a lot of good build options to suit different friendly and enemy compositions as long as you always stick a zhonyas somewhere in there

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
It doesn't hurt that Fiddlesticks' VA can do some unholy vocal contortions to crank that voice out

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

this is now a fiddlesticks appreciation thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjdkHVwysJE

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The only thing about the League MMO that matters to me is the animals that vastaya can be.

Because I don't see how they wouldn't have vastaya as a playable race considering how popular a bunch of them are.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Human, Vastaya, Yordle seem like shoe-ins to me.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

human, furry, pedobait. the three standard mmo races

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
can't wait to play world of warcraft but as an anime girl with huge dobonhonkeros

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ungulateman posted:

can't wait to play world of warcraft but as an anime girl with huge dobonhonkeros

Final Fantasy 14 exists already.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

njsykora posted:

Final Fantasy 14 exists already.

The anime girls in FF14 do not, in fact, have huge dobonhonkeros.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
there's mods for that

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I just want to boast about how many games I've won :colbert:

...for the enemy team. :c00lbert:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

there's mods for that

Could also play Phantasy Star Online 2 which recently added an even bigger version of its giant bazonkas accessory.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
giant bazonkas should belong to the PEOPLE
making the only source of them cash-shop lootboxes is a grave, evil, horrible sin
even if the whales can trade them to other players for ingame money

(that's how PSO2 cosmetics work right? I didn't play it much)

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 20, 2020

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Step 1: Go 0/5 at 15 minutes
Step 2: FF 15
Step 3: Spam in chat that the game is unwinnable even though our darius is 6/2
Step 4: Start inting into their Katarina
Step 5: Quit the game

Why does anyone at all ever play this game

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Some people are incapable of looking beyond themselves, so if they have a bad game, they are going to make sure everyone else will too.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Vino posted:

Step 1: Go 0/5 at 15 minutes
Step 2: FF 15
Step 3: Spam in chat that the game is unwinnable even though our darius is 6/2
Step 4: Start inting into their Katarina
Step 5: Quit the game

Why does anyone at all ever play this game

oh hey, it sounds like we've been queuing together, but you left out step 0, which is madly pinging everyone and everything under the sun nonstop for the first 5 minutes of the game

strong bird
May 12, 2009

the new tech is just going afk before 10 minutes which starts a 4 person surrender vote which almost always passes and then u can just immediately queue again with no penalties :cheersdoge:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm sitting on 160 prestige points but I don't play any of the champions with prestige skins all that much, so I'm thinking of picking up a grab bag.

That limited time Senna skin though....

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm sitting on 160 prestige points but I don't play any of the champions with prestige skins all that much, so I'm thinking of picking up a grab bag.

That limited time Senna skin though....

They're extending them out to May this year and adding some more skins in between now and then so may want to hang on to 100 in case they add one for a champ you do play. Just in case you thought they were ending in January like they usually have done.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I played yuumi mid and out farmed the enemy pantheon, but our botlane kog/senna went legit 4-12 in the first fifteen minutes of the game lol.

Did solokill pantheon once though

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

strong bird posted:

the new tech is just going afk before 10 minutes which starts a 4 person surrender vote which almost always passes and then u can just immediately queue again with no penalties :cheersdoge:

this system is so moronically stupid
somebody tell riot to steal the abandon system from dota instead

if one person disconnects or AFKs for more than X minutes, they get marked as "abandoned" and lose MMR/LP no matter what, and then the game is marked as "safe to leave" and everyone else can disconnect with no penalty
whereas in league when someone AFKs from minute 0 or even actually disconnects from the game server you still have to wait up to 10 minutes and then vote to surrender

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If someone AFKs or disconnects from minute 0 you actually get to remake at minute 3, counting as a loss for the person who left while leaving the rest of their team untouched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
OK fine, from minute 0.5

I had a game recently where a Rell walked to lane and then stood AFK under tower until she was level 1 and the rest of the game was level 4-5
I don't think we even got the 10-minute afk vote because she stopped being AFK before the timer kicked in