Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Danger - Octopus! posted:

N:A also lets you jump up while on ladders to climb them faster, which is great.

There were some terrible but also unintentionally hilarious misogynist redditor types ranting about how bad Jesse's face looked when the game released and how it was a super unrealistic face except they hadn't realised that she looks just like the actress but that's obviously not the standard of generic beauty they wanted in a game. It's a really good recreation of her, having seen the YT video where she gives a tour round the remedy HQ

TBF I could see it falling into the Uncanny Valley for some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I think it looks pretty fantastic in cutscenes, but a bit off sometimes in the character model when you're using photo mode. But it feels more like a weird lighting issue than something about the model itself, it highlights strangely sometimes in ways that make it look weird.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

N:A also lets you jump up while on ladders to climb them faster, which is great.

There were some terrible but also unintentionally hilarious misogynist redditor types ranting about how bad Jesse's face looked when the game released and how it was a super unrealistic face except they hadn't realised that she looks just like the actress but that's obviously not the standard of generic beauty they wanted in a game. It's a really good recreation of her, having seen the YT video where she gives a tour round the remedy HQ

I really liked how all the people in Control looked like real people since they are, in fact, based on real people. It makes regular video game models seem kinda soulless in a way I can't really put my finger on.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Is bloodborne the game where at one of the gdqs the guy got super hyped about every ladder hr climbed? It was silly and fun

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've just finished playing Monkey King: Hero is Back on PS4 based off a chinese movie that I haven't seen. It's a lot of fun.

While it has obviously got a budget that it sticks to, it knows quite well how to use it, so while for example there are a lot of palette swaps for normal enemies, they get different attacks (or elemental variations) and the actual BOSSES are pretty cool and varied. The story is well paced so Sun Wukong learning to be a better person while unlocking his powers again doesn't feel too abrupt and while the primary villain is low stakes the story isn't ABOUT him. He's just the catalyst for the character development.

The cutscenes are often slide-show style but they have a lot of impact due to how they are done which helps the tone of the scene and they save the animation budget for only the most important cutscenes so the whole ending sequence is mostly completely animated which helps the emotional aspects shine through.

Also while the first DLC, summarising the war on heaven that resulted in Sun getting sealed by Buddha in the first place, is incredibly short, it makes use of a mechanic only seen normally in the story's final boss and gives you other things to fight in that mode and that's fun.

I am hoping the Mind Palace DLC will be longer than Heaven War DLC is though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tagichatn posted:

I really liked how all the people in Control looked like real people since they are, in fact, based on real people. It makes regular video game models seem kinda soulless in a way I can't really put my finger on.

Games are getting a lot better at making realistic environments but there's just something about people that is still missing.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

ilmucche posted:

Is bloodborne the game where at one of the gdqs the guy got super hyped about every ladder hr climbed? It was silly and fun

Yes (at 1:04:22)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Smash Bros Ultimate is doing a really neat thing for their new DLC character. Sephiroth unlocks as a regular DLC character on the 22nd, but they're currently running a boss fight event against him. If you beat him on the highest difficulty, you can just play him right now. It's an extremely fun idea, and I'm really hoping they do it more, because drat is it a great way to learn the character before playing as him.

Sephiroth himself is extremely fun, too, and has some really interesting quirks. I've actually learned that R.O.B. of all characters can counter his counter, which... doesn't feel like it should work, but when you break down how both characters' moves work makes complete sense.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

christmas boots posted:

TBF I could see it falling into the Uncanny Valley for some.

Yup. Control hits me right in the uncanny valley.
I cant stand the close-ups they do of jesse because it just sets me off.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Cleretic posted:

Smash Bros Ultimate is doing a really neat thing for their new DLC character. Sephiroth unlocks as a regular DLC character on the 22nd, but they're currently running a boss fight event against him. If you beat him on the highest difficulty, you can just play him right now.

Beat him on any difficulty.

It's still awesome and I love it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Probs because she’s a ginger

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I think it's exacerbated by they don't show the shoulders in those super close-ups. It's... A bit claustrophobic? No, like when someone is standing too close to you unnecessarily.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Sephiroth’s arcade mode in Smash Bros is a boss rush. Something is funny to me about how they introduce a third party character by having him clown one of the final bosses of Smash’s story mode (Which is itself introduced obliterating the entire Smash roster) in the trailer, and then have him beat up other games’ final bosses.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Games are getting a lot better at making realistic environments but there's just something about people that is still missing.

It's light. They've gotten really good at faking realistic light on environments (and/or using raytracing) but it's not there on people yet.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

It's light. They've gotten really good at faking realistic light on environments (and/or using raytracing) but it's not there on people yet.

Yeah, I once saw a video on this (I think it was a Corridor Digital one where they break down movie cgi) and there's a ton of stuff you don't notice consciously but makes huge difference. Things that are hard to get right even when you have a big budget, a team, and lots of super powerful computers that don't have to render real time, but make all the difference.

Things like how skin is stretchy, which the brain picks up on not just because of wrinkles and whatnot, but the actual position, movement and even shape of the pores.
Or like how real skin is slightly translucent, and it feels off if that's not rendered right.

Tons of stuff that's super hard to do, and we're just not there yet to do that kind of thing in a game that has to be rendered real time.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Haha, as an autist with mild prosopagnosia I barely look at faces anyway, so the technology is useless to me! Just give 'e, all the face parts, that's all I care about.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ray tracing will probably help a lot with that when it's a real thing and not just a proof of concept (yes, I have a 3070 and have played Metro Exodus, it's very cool but still more of a proof of concept than anything)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
For some reason I've never really had an issue with faces falling into the uncanny valley, but you know what always really feels off to me in games? Hands.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

christmas boots posted:

For some reason I've never really had an issue with faces falling into the uncanny valley, but you know what always really feels off to me in games? Hands.

VR puts a weird spin on this too, it feels simultaneously more natural (because of the tracking) and further off (when you start doing things like playing with individual finger movement and how that interacts with level geometry).

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Weird walk or run animations stick out to me the most, when it comes to third person games at least.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's a well worn one and no I don't have any clever ideas as to how to deal with it but what always gets me is in first person games when you walk up against stuff and it turns out your hands and gun are the size of e.g. a keyhole

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
One of the keywords to look for in terms of skin translucency and related opaque-but-penetrable materials is Subsurface Scattering.

Full raytracing is great but if you don't model how those materials interact with the rays correctly it's still gonna look off.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Attestant posted:

Weird walk or run animations stick out to me the most, when it comes to third person games at least.

Man once I noticed how over-the-shoulder game characters crouch walk with no arm support and thought about how loving uncomfortable that'd be, I could never ever unsee it in any game afterward.

edit: Like, Joel from The Last Of Us gets comically low.

Not even taking a knee or anything, christ. That dude's center of gravity has got to be like a cat's.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:47 on Dec 18, 2020

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I always wonder why hair tends to look like rubber wigs. For some reason beards look good half time and the other half it looks airbrushed on their face.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

I always wonder why hair tends to look like rubber wigs. For some reason beards look good half time and the other half it looks airbrushed on their face.

Hair is one of those things that is incredibly hard to model well especially realistically, and usually the amount of time and effort needed to make hair look good is not remotely even with the actual benefit of it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm getting flashbacks to DOA Volleyball 2 where they tried for hair physics and they... well...

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

grittyreboot posted:

Hair is hard. If you have it move all as one piece it looks unnatural, if you have it move independently but don’t do it properly you get wacky waving inflatable arm-flailing tube hair going every which-a-way. Then if it doesn’t move at all you get the rubber wig situation.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Leal posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to DOA Volleyball 2 where they tried for hair physics and they... well...

I played the poo poo outta DOA Volleyball

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Attestant posted:

shepard's weird little elbows-in jog-waddle is iconic

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Hair is one of those things that is incredibly hard to model well especially realistically, and usually the amount of time and effort needed to make hair look good is not remotely even with the actual benefit of it.

TressFX wins again :shepface:

Though in all honesty it really does help. Even in the first Tomb Raider where it makes Lara's hair look salon fresh despite literally rising out of a pool of blood, it looks so much better

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

VR puts a weird spin on this too, it feels simultaneously more natural (because of the tracking) and further off (when you start doing things like playing with individual finger movement and how that interacts with level geometry).

You want weird in VR? Try looking at one of those 3D-rendered photographed models in VR. It's really disconcerting.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Attestant posted:

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
Both an inhuman character animation and a favourite little thing:

Gabe Logan’s sexy hip wiggle in Syphon Filter.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The most unnatural movement for me in games is when someone sinks halfway into the ground and then rockets at mach 4 into the horizon.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Push El Burrito posted:

The most unnatural movement for me in games is when someone sinks halfway into the ground and then rockets at mach 4 into the horizon.

Uh... you mean, people don't do that normally?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Attestant posted:

It also stands out when they're really good! LA Noire had an amazing "walking quickly downstairs" animation. It was legit some of the best walking animation I'd ever seen in a game, there was no floating across steps awkwardly or feet hanging in the air and it just looked incredibly realistic.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

hell yeah some of GTA IV's animation stuff I've only seen matched/beaten in The Last of Us 2

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

verbal enema posted:

I played the poo poo outta DOA Volleyball

The actual volleyball in those games is shockingly okay.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Been replaying BOTW with my 5 year old, and she and I came across a little thing I’d never seen or heard before, but made us laugh a ton.

We just unlocked the Akkala Tower, and having snagged a horse from an angry Bokoblin, we started headed towards a shrine near the place where Tarry Town is eventually built .

In front of the shrine, theres a Korok puzzle - a set of three goddess statues with offering plates in front of them. 2/3 of them had apples, so we pull up the inventory, and drop our only apple on the empty plate.

Only to discover that it is no longer the only empty plate, since our new horse companion has eaten one of the other apples :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Attestant posted:

Staircases are just slopes with fancy textures on them