Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

For a thread primer/refresher on Canola and Rapeseed oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDP9t65PVsY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

large hands posted:

e::I think canola (Canada Oil) was just a more appealing name for rapeseed invented by Canadian farmers for marketing purposes

It's also a different cultivar of rapeseed that's lower in a chemical that was once thought to be toxic. But the canola name is indeed a Canadian branding thing given the uh, unfortunate original name.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I still stir-fry my alligator pears in rapeseed oil :colbert:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

A while back I remember seeing Lizi Qi making a kind of red oil which included fresh green peppers, sichuan peppercorn and pine nuts. I also seem to remember soy sauce going in. Does anyone know anything more about this? I'm thinking about whipping up a batch since I got pine nuts for cheap and I have green chilis I need to use.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Low wasnt low enough and two hours in my hong shao rou became carbon sauce. :(

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Brutal. That lovely smell for a while then... wait a second... what a disappointing timesink.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i lived like down the street from a hot pot place with that cygnet name (and the same name in Chinese) for literal years and had no idea it wasn't just a one-off rando hot pot place in chengdu.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

ive been making a lot of sanbeiji cuz chicken is cheap and its easy + delicious

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Before I drive myself nuts, are wood ear mushrooms usually sold dried, or is this something if I hit up a chinese grocery it might be there fresh?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

You can buy them fresh.

e; dried is way more common tho, even in China. They last basically forever when dried and you can just use what you need. IDK the shelf life of fresh ones since I always use them immediately in mu shu pork or whatever im making.

e2: if you're afraid of having to rehydrate them, wood ears rehydrate really fast compared to other things. its like 45min-1hr and they're good to go. most chinese recipes that use them actually warn people to not let them sit in water for more than 2 hours lest they get weird.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 11, 2020

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Magna Kaser posted:

You can buy them fresh.

e; dried is way more common tho, even in China. They last basically forever when dried and you can just use what you need. IDK the shelf life of fresh ones since I always use them immediately in mu shu pork or whatever im making.

e2: if you're afraid of having to rehydrate them, wood ears rehydrate really fast compared to other things. its like 45min-1hr and they're good to go. most chinese recipes that use them actually warn people to not let them sit in water for more than 2 hours lest they get weird.

Sounds good. I'll look into getting dried if there isn't a material difference between fresh and dried

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jhet posted:

Okay, the erjingtiao seeds are all drying out and I should be able to mail them out in a few days. I also may have some Chi-Chien and a few Bird Aji seeds to toss in as well. The people who asked for the Chi-Chien already get first dibs in the other thread, and I have about 12 Bird Aji seeds that I can share around too. So that I can mail them, you must first tell me where to send them. https://forms.gle/XXQdpi8HSq144v3s9 I'll double check versus the PMs I got in November and send follow ups before I send things out too. If you didn't PM me earlier but want some seeds now, feel free to fill out the form still. I'll have plenty of erjingtiao seeds, but can't promise enough of the bonus seeds.

These are all the hand pollinated ones I'll be getting this year, but that's because I'm a) lazy, b) the plants are getting too big and trying to eat me, and c) there's a furnace vent blowing pollen around now, but I have 4 Bhut Jolokia pods getting nice sized and I'm looking forward to eating them in a cold month of the year.

X-post from the Gardening thread.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jhet posted:

X-post from the Gardening thread.

Awesome - I realize I forgot to follow up via PM before, but I went ahead and filled out the form now. Thanks for offering to do this!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Is there a non seafood version of braised pomelo rinds? Gf saw the video on CCD and was interested, but isn't big on shrimp or most fish.

https://youtu.be/HQomVDn4XA4

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm trying to put together a list of what to make for a Traditional Jewish Christmas of Chinese food next week. Difficulty is I'm cooking for two family members who cannot handle the chilies and don't want tofu, so my list of stuff I like is pretty barren. Hit me with your favorite non-chili Chinese stuff. It'd be great to have some braised options since I just got one wok and doing more than two or three things in there is rough, even with keeping it warm in the oven.

I'm thinking a fish, two vegetables, and at least one other thing. Vegetables I'm inclined towards qingchao baicai, ganbian sijidou, and/or ganguo huacai. I can just minimize peppers in those and they're still good. Fish recipes I'm not sure about since every fish I had in Sichuan was basically "take fish, just loving drown it in chili oil and doubanjiang". Some kinda fish braise would be good. Idk, throw ideas at me please.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

We made these fish tiles from Fuchsia Dunlop's Every Grain of Rice and really loved them. Not sure if that's what you had in mind, but they're really nice.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
It’s Christmas so you really ought to do a roast duck something or other. That’s neither spicy nor tofu.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I roasted a duck for Thanksgiving so not doing anything along those lines.

Carillon posted:

We made these fish tiles from Fuchsia Dunlop's Every Grain of Rice and really loved them. Not sure if that's what you had in mind, but they're really nice.

This sounds good. Looks like squirrel fish but way less fiddly.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Maybe just do whole steamed fish? Ginger and scallions and a simple sauce go a long way. I prefer to make it with chiles still, but when you're dealing with heat adverse people, it'll still taste great. (And I can just make a chile oil dipping sauce).

But yeah, duck for the holidays is a great move. Sweet and savory (and fatty) and you can pick the carcass clean for duck fried rice as a treat for the cook. Favorite of mine for when we don't have to go to a family gathering holiday.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Every Grain of Rice has a recipe for chicken braised with chestnuts that's been a mainstay for me, fwiw.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Flipping through Yan Kit's Classic Chinese Cookbook, what about crystal sugar pig's hock, roast pork belly, braised beef with garlic, rustic steamed beef, or a classic char-siu? I can post any recipes if you like.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Maybe skip the pork for the Jewish meal.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

LOL whoops. :doh:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

We're not Jewish, it's a joke about Chinese restaurants on Christmas. I would take that char siu recipe, I've never been happy with any of the ones I've tried.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

At the bottom they suggest swapping in spare ribs, another classic Chinese menu item.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm in the UK. Is there a decent Sichuan-style chili oil that can be bought, ideally online (though at a Chinese supermarket, at a push)? I have made it before but it was a lot of work to de-stem and de-seed all the peppers for an amount that didn't even last particularly long, so I want to be lazy!

I routinely use chiu chow chili oil and love it, but I assume this is not the same thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Do you want with sediment or not? Laoganma is technically Guizhou style but it's good and will do what you want, and it's available everywhere.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I would ask Fuschia Dunlop, she's in London or close and regularly answers pretty much everything on Instagram.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

Do you want with sediment or not? Laoganma is technically Guizhou style but it's good and will do what you want, and it's available everywhere.

Can vouch, I currently have 4 different kinds of Laoganma here and they all make food good.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Anjow posted:

I'm in the UK. Is there a decent Sichuan-style chili oil that can be bought, ideally online (though at a Chinese supermarket, at a push)? I have made it before but it was a lot of work to de-stem and de-seed all the peppers for an amount that didn't even last particularly long, so I want to be lazy!

I routinely use chiu chow chili oil and love it, but I assume this is not the same thing.

Im in the uk as well, you can get a bunch of varieties of laoganma in most chinese supermarkets and online, and lee kum kee make a really solid chili oil as well

If youre not near a supermarket, these guys sell everything https://www.wingyip.com/

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
Gonna display my ignorance a bit here - is "yellow bean sauce" a different thing from say, Koon Chun ground bean sauce? I've seen that before, but the internet seems to think that might not be the same thing as what is mentioned in the charsiu recipe above.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Morality_Police posted:

Gonna display my ignorance a bit here - is "yellow bean sauce" a different thing from say, Koon Chun ground bean sauce? I've seen that before, but the internet seems to think that might not be the same thing as what is mentioned in the charsiu recipe above.

Yellow bean sauce usually refers to 黄豆酱 (sometimes translated as "soybean sauce") which is not the same as ground bean sauce (磨豉酱)。 Yellow bean sauce is more commonly used in Beijing and northern cooking, where ground bean sauce is used almost exclusively in Cantonese cooking. Baidu'ing a bit people say they're similar but not exactly the same. I have never actually cooked with ground bean sauce so I can't really sayt what the difference is.

That said, Lee Kum Kee actually makes and sells both of these so there must be some difference???

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 21, 2020

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Does anyone know of a good fix for roasted chili oil that's a bit too salty? Or just make more chili oil to dilute the salt? I couldn't really find anything online that would work for it. I made my first batch yesterday and should have used about half of the salt I threw in there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Diluting with more is the only thing I can think of that would actually work.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kalit posted:

Does anyone know of a good fix for roasted chili oil that's a bit too salty? Or just make more chili oil to dilute the salt? I couldn't really find anything online that would work for it. I made my first batch yesterday and should have used about half of the salt I threw in there.

You can always add more salt, never get it out in cooking. Diluting will make it work well.

But it’s not really a problem, because you probably didn’t make enough anyway.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Jhet posted:

You can always add more salt, never get it out in cooking. Diluting will make it work well.

But it’s not really a problem, because you probably didn’t make enough anyway.

:hmmyes:

Grand Fromage posted:

Diluting with more is the only thing I can think of that would actually work.

Thank you both for the feedback. After a burned attempt, I got another batch to turn out similar-ish to that first batch, so it worked out. I do need to get a thermometer though, it would make it a lot easier :v:

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I used to work at a strip-mall place that made their char siu by roasting pork shoulder with a pretty standard marinade/coating, then when cold they'd slice it and heat each order up in a cast-iron skillet with a bunch more marinade/sauce (which also had ketchup and sweet bean sauce added) that would thicken up and almost char when cooked quickly over high heat. It sounds weird but it was so good. I've tried to recreate it but it's never quite right. Now I usually make it more or less the "regular" way because any char siu is good char siu.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A classic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ljL3KBNyA

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
a dish for young people with good teeth lol

e: that was rude of me he is just looking out for his uncle

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Anybody got a good read on where to pick up a lacqeur hors d'oeuvers box? Searching for those terms, five color box, cuanhe, or appetizer tray yields a ton of non-related stuff