Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh good 2020 saw Pence introducing Guardians, as seen on Handmaid’s tale.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

This reminds me of the Big Ten announcing they were going to have conferences with names and wound up with loving Legends and Leaders instead of literally anything else.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Man it's like they're actively trying to make space force cringe-inducing

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I will vote for any candidate that will shut down space force.

Edit: I will settle for one that will shut down the Marines, though.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I need to hear more about the rich and glorious heritage of... *checks watch* the previous 363 days

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Man it's like they're actively trying to make space force cringe-inducing

Well isn't the Air Force (it's direct lineage)....the branch with the biggest numbers of Super Christ Guys and Weebs?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

A Bad Poster posted:

I will vote for any candidate that will shut down space force.

Edit: I will settle for one that will shut down the Marines, though.

Space Force will probably be silently killed in a few months with zero presidential fanfare.

But anyways, here's the first explanation of the vaccine cutbacks that I actually believe:

https://twitter.com/GovInslee/status/1340114523013828608

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It bugs me that I read that tweet and think "oh, so that's how the billionaires are buying their doses."

"Quality control." :jerkbag:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Does this mean the seniormost space force personnel will be guardians of the galaxy?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

This reminds me of the Big Ten announcing they were going to have conferences with names and wound up with loving Legends and Leaders instead of literally anything else.

Yeah but the Big Ten fixed that whereas I would be shocked if they change this dumb thing

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Soylent Pudding posted:

Does this mean the seniormost space force personnel will be guardians of the galaxy?

https://twitter.com/JeffMartinFL/status/1340067063449210883

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Well let’s just be happy he didn’t reference anime.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm getting tired of people claiming gas prices are going to go straight through the roof under Biden Because Democrats while simultaneously forgetting they started to climb under W and were almost $4 per gallon before the economy tanked.

I had hoped that handing out 30 day sentences to CBJ's Facebook Prison for Political Idiots would be a one-time thing in November.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 19, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm getting tired of people claiming gas prices are going to go straight through the roof under Biden Because Democrats while simultaneously forgetting they started to climb under W and were almost $4 per gallon before the economy tanked.

The people who spout this poo poo believe whatever the rwm tells them because they haven't the memory to recall it and even when they do they won't go against the party orthodoxy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

Space Force will probably be silently killed in a few months with zero presidential fanfare.

Congress has tied the executive’s hands on this.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Platystemon posted:

Platystemon posted:

And due to institutional inertia, it will take more effort to change it to be anything else than to just keep it as-is.

I honestly expect a cyber force in a similar way in 5-10 years. Space was already it's own thing within the Air Force, the Space Force is mostly just Air Force Space Command carved off. The Cyber Mission Force is its own thing already in the same way. The bigger change to me in the space domain is the (re-)creation of USSPACECOM as its own authority.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hannibal posted:

And due to institutional inertia, it will take more effort to change it to be anything else than to just keep it as-is.

I honestly expect a cyber force in a similar way in 5-10 years. Space was already it's own thing within the Air Force, the Space Force is mostly just Air Force Space Command carved off. The Cyber Mission Force is its own thing already in the same way. The bigger change to me in the space domain is the (re-)creation of USSPACECOM as its own authority.
The problem is that Space Force, if they're actually going to treat it as a separate branch and not something along the lines of a USAAC, is going to need a bunch of its own infrastructure stood up. Training pipelines and facilities...yes, some of that will be carved off the AF, but BMT for example won't be. It'll be duplicated. Same with training pipelines for poo poo that the AF isn't losing: personnelists, finance, etc. And of course we can't forget the staffs, which are, for the moment, billets pulled from the other services to avoid increasing the number of AD officer billets and specifically GO billets. Yet. That will change. And suddenly we'll have further duplication of effort with no tangible improvement in capability.

As I've said since the first time this came up, a COCOM was a good idea. I'm glad they implemented that. There IS a tangible improvement that will come along with that. But a separate branch? I don't see it. Not for the next couple of decades, at least.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Stravag posted:

Oh poo poo did i miss the traveller appearing over mars?

Moon's haunted

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

US says it is shuttering last 2 consulates in Russia

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration has notified Congress that it intends to shutter the last two remaining U.S. consulates in Russia.

The State Department told lawmakers last week that it would permanently close the consulate in the far eastern Russian city of Vladivostok and temporarily suspend operations at the consulate in Yekaterinburg just east of the Ural Mountains.

The notice was sent to Congress on Dec. 10 but received little attention at the time. That timing predates by three days the public emergence of news about a major suspected Russian computer intrusion into U.S. government and private computer systems that has raised grave cybersecurity fears.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I would say that's a pre-emptive move before the US shuts down a Russian consulate or two in retaliation for the big hack....but I don't think Trump cares about doing absolutely anything at all except watching OANN and shitposting on Twitter these days.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1340300277178621953?s=19

Break DHS back into nothing and have Coasters go back to Treasury

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

He's running.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1340300277178621953?s=19

Break DHS back into nothing and have Coasters go back to Treasury

I’d be completely onboard with this.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/calibreobscura/status/1336984574484746240?s=21

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Putin getting a couple extra stocking stuffers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tired: 80% lower

Wired: 80° lower

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

Tired: 80% lower

Wired: 80° lower

:thurman:

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Godholio posted:

The problem is that Space Force, if they're actually going to treat it as a separate branch and not something along the lines of a USAAC, is going to need a bunch of its own infrastructure stood up. Training pipelines and facilities...yes, some of that will be carved off the AF, but BMT for example won't be. It'll be duplicated. Same with training pipelines for poo poo that the AF isn't losing: personnelists, finance, etc. And of course we can't forget the staffs, which are, for the moment, billets pulled from the other services to avoid increasing the number of AD officer billets and specifically GO billets. Yet. That will change. And suddenly we'll have further duplication of effort with no tangible improvement in capability.

As I've said since the first time this came up, a COCOM was a good idea. I'm glad they implemented that. There IS a tangible improvement that will come along with that. But a separate branch? I don't see it. Not for the next couple of decades, at least.

While this is largely true, IIRC from when I worked on this, they're still going to use AF members for most of the support roles, and then going to maintain use of certain AF training facilities for specialties that haven't changed that much. The redundancy might still exist in a few places it doesn't make sense (I think Space Force is still arguing for separate IDE and SDE, which is loving stupid) but if they stay around the 10-12k personnel threshold I don't think it'll make a huge difference. One hopes they stick to the general low number of members as it stands, but we'll see if institutional creep sets in.

I'll argue that one positive here is similar to the Army back in the 40s, the AF wasn't focusing on space-oriented needs from a programmatic standpoint, and in my experience largely deprioritized vital space warfare needs in favor of airbreathing platforms (hello F-35!). Separating off a new service would hopefully get those issues addressed more readily and allow for a focus on space warfighting as an emphasis point rather than just a thing the AF feels obliged to do against its will.

Whether or not it comes to fruition effectively or is just another boondoggle is yet to be seen. It certainly will cost more than the like $2 billion they were calling for originally.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
So did the government shut down?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mr. Nice! posted:

So did the government shut down?

Nah, they did another CR through Sunday.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1340333619299147781

not suspicious tweets at all

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A stopgap was approved

E: holy poo poo Russia still loving with the elections

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I am just so very tired and want that motherfucker gone from the public forever

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Nick Soapdish posted:

This times infinity. A toddler is less exhausting.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Nick Soapdish posted:

Gonna be waiting a long time, sadly. I've been working most weekends recently and haven't had time to read the national news. It's been kind of alright.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
They really do just need to make his grave marker a toilet with a pipe leading straight to his dead face.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A Bad Poster posted:

They really do just need to make his grave marker a toilet with a pipe leading straight to his dead face.

They can put Thatcher there too

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Space Force officer ranking structure details

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

A Bad Poster posted:

I would pay at least $100 to use this.