Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Reading the reviews of Conquest of Go, the summary of what I got is that it's excellent for casual and new players to the game of Go, and also good for people who can use a campaign as motivation to play. It is not meaty enough for Go experts. Also has incredibly limited reviewing options, so using it as a learning tool outside of its campaign is not the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gonna applaud Haven for having a pretty dang bleak as hell ending (dunno about the other). I did not like you Kay and Yu, and the map is goddamn liar regarding one of the islands, but not bad. Would play someone elses take on this concept.

Edit: I also forgot about a major setting point thats dropped on you like 5 minutes from the end so Im the dum dum. The ending is ruuuuuushed

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 8, 2020

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

TACD posted:

I was looking forward to this for ages but now it only has ‘Mixed’ reviews I’m not sure if I should jump on it or not 😕
I like Per Aspera, it consumed my entire weekend, but it is painfully unbalanced right now. The game is pure logistics, everything is inputs and outputs (even colonists: dump water and food on them, get research in return), but you can find yourself painfully short of certain materials through no fault of your own. Ironically for me, water was a major problem because the randomly placed ice deposits were almost entirely under the terraformed seas I created and the only way to get water is to mine ice deposits. Deposits themselves are also too small, obviously to force players to constantly expand, but currently, it is all too easy to run out of a vital material when it is too costly to expand to other mining sites. The end game is also somewhat lacking, too slow and with too little feedback.

I have hopes that the game can be patched up to a better state, the developers seem to be already on it, but I wouldn't really recommend the game right now.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Has anyone been playing Shadow Empire? I'm a civilization guy but civ VI was too much like Civ V so I didn't play it much, but the focus on logistics in shadow empire looks like a new mechanic that might be interesting but then again it appears like that's basically all there is to it from watching a few lets plays.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Washout posted:

Has anyone been playing Shadow Empire? I'm a civilization guy but civ VI was too much like Civ V so I didn't play it much, but the focus on logistics in shadow empire looks like a new mechanic that might be interesting but then again it appears like that's basically all there is to it from watching a few lets plays.

There's actually a thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926377

There's a very in depth military sim paired with the logistics/economy side as well. It's a very grognardy game. Good if that sort of thing is to your taste though, and actively being updated - just before the steam release, airplanes were added.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Wind and Wilting Blossom just dropped, it's a - lemme quote a review:

quote:

It's partly FTL-clone, with classic HoMM1-style tactical battles on hexes, about nightmarish japanese folklore.

perc2
May 16, 2020

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Conquest of Go - I need someone to play this and tell me if it's actually good at teaching you how to play Go

It is, yeah, and a fun way to learn the basics of the game. Once you get into it and want to get serious online rank and start getting reviews, you can move to OGS, KGS or Tygem. (KGS and Tygem are gross clients but well established playerbases, OGS has a nice browser client but as you get closer to 1d you'll probably want to start playing insanely agressive Korean players on Tygem).

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Wind and Wilting Blossom just dropped, it's a - lemme quote a review:

I picked up this and have been playing it for a couple of hours. It's fun, but it's definitely rough around the edges here and there.
The UI doesn't always feel responsive, and it's not always obvious when and what resources you get (What did I get from that chest, game?)

It also feels like it has some serious balance issues, particularly with stage modifiers, like wind, earthquakes and cold. There's nothing really you can do about it, so it's just gonna tear your squad down over time.
Also stuff like not being able to do quests if they spawn in nodes you've already been to.

All that said, this is all stuff that is fixable, and the core gameplay is solid, so it gets a recommendation from me.

Edit: Ok, beat it. Get the weapon that causes disarm if you ever see it, it's the most OP thing in the game.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 13, 2020

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Rebel Blob posted:

I like Per Aspera, it consumed my entire weekend, but it is painfully unbalanced right now. The game is pure logistics, everything is inputs and outputs (even colonists: dump water and food on them, get research in return), but you can find yourself painfully short of certain materials through no fault of your own. Ironically for me, water was a major problem because the randomly placed ice deposits were almost entirely under the terraformed seas I created and the only way to get water is to mine ice deposits. Deposits themselves are also too small, obviously to force players to constantly expand, but currently, it is all too easy to run out of a vital material when it is too costly to expand to other mining sites. The end game is also somewhat lacking, too slow and with too little feedback.

I have hopes that the game can be patched up to a better state, the developers seem to be already on it, but I wouldn't really recommend the game right now.

I keep seeing this criticism but does it not occur to people that every landing site comes with one of every resource (most of the time) and that there is no limit to them? It kinda broke the game for me having spaceports constantly churning out new landers and just dropping them next to my existing bases.

My criticism is definitely the endgame grind, drags on too long and I think I might just ditch it now with hyperloops encircling the planet and infinite resources but still having to wait 20 minutes for every new technology to be researched.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 14, 2020

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
I haven't played it yet but Calico was pretty much an instabuy for me. It's the first game my wife has been interested in in a while.

In a sentence, magical girls rebuild a cat cafe.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So I kept seeing stuff about American Truck Simulator and a new release of the Colorado state expansion. Why would anyone want to pretend to be a truck driver. Why would anyone care about Colorado. Hey, this looks kinda popular, sure are a bunch of rednecks buying games I guess. They have a demo, lets fire up some Willie Nelson and find our cowboy hat and crash 40 tons into an unsuspecting Prius driver and make his day!

33 hours played over four days later and every expansion bought I am a big dumb rear end in a top hat. You know what they say about assumptions, etc.

This is probably one of the best games I've come across in a while. It has enough RPG type mechanics available to keep a lot of people happy from customizing your truck(s), starting your own business(es) and hiring drivers to drive for you and make money while you drive your own, or take out loans to buy even more stuff. The driving itself is like zen. The scenery at some points is no-poo poo I can't believe it looks so real right now.

Try the demo, you might get a new addiction. KB/M kinda suck bad, but my 360 controller after getting it all set up is the bee's knees. It's so smooth for driving. People with steering wheel and head tracking setups are gunna love this if they haven't played already.

It's an old game, yeah, but the amount of new stuff coming out is amazing. I feel like I've been missing out for so long because who the hell wants to drive a big rig around? yeah. I DO.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 16, 2020

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its pretty good when you have a backlog of podcasts to get through too yea

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Euro/American Truck Simulator with Podcasts/Audiobooks is pure bliss

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It and Euro Truck Simulator have their own thread as well if you wanted to talk truckin' some more.

I haven't played ATS but assuming it's basically the same as ETS they're great games for chilling out.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

It's one of the reasons I bought my g25 steering wheel setup.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Tenebrais posted:

It and Euro Truck Simulator have their own thread as well if you wanted to talk truckin' some more.

I haven't played ATS but assuming it's basically the same as ETS they're great games for chilling out.

Thanks, my half-assed search came up empty.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Philthy posted:

Thanks, my half-assed search came up empty.

Check out Snowrunner as well if you wish to disappear completely from the material world

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sometimes I think I would like a steering wheel but a large part of me is quite sure that if I did get one I would start driving my actual car like it's a videogame.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This indie game Airborne Kingdom just came out and seems real neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfr9PHKb_RI

Its a city builder like Sim City or Caesar but your city is floating so you can move it around to gather resources, but you also have to manage how you build it so it stays floating

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Oh poo poo, ATS and ETS are all on sale for like $5 ea.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Zaphod42 posted:

This indie game Airborne Kingdom just came out and seems real neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfr9PHKb_RI

Its a city builder like Sim City or Caesar but your city is floating so you can move it around to gather resources, but you also have to manage how you build it so it stays floating

you can get this for ten bucks on Epic right now and then get a ten dollar off coupon thanks to their holiday coupon loop deal, fyi

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Failed/salvaged Kickstarter project Unsung Story is apparently actually coming out. Just got a Steam key in my email from a different company than the one I remember backing six years ago? As a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy Tactics, I expect profound disappointment.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol they really mean it when they say early access. apparently only two classes are in and even those have wonky rear end balance.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Karma Tornado posted:

you can get this for ten bucks on Epic right now and then get a ten dollar off coupon thanks to their holiday coupon loop deal, fyi

This is a good game- it’s kind of short for a city builder (I beat it in 9 1/2 hours) but it feels “just right” in the way all of the gameplay elements come together. Highly recommend, especially at $10.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Yeah, it's a very good ten dollar game, I'd say it's a pretty good twenty dollar game, but it's an extremely good ten dollar game that also knocks ten dollars off something else game

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Epic store showed it as a $20 game to me.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Epic gives you a ten dollar off coupon for logging in during these sales, and then another one when you buy something. Gotta be things over 14.99, though

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It's basically just a tricky way to make everything in the store $10 off without having to actually negotiate $10 off sales with all the publishers.

AFAIK Epic is paying the difference out of their own pocket instead of paying the devs less, too. They're probably losing money on this and treating it as an expense to increase their customer base.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Alamoduh posted:

This is a good game- it’s kind of short for a city builder (I beat it in 9 1/2 hours) but it feels “just right” in the way all of the gameplay elements come together. Highly recommend, especially at $10.
I just completed Airborne Kingdom and I second this. It took me just under 12 hours to beat, the game has a definitive end-state though you can keep playing past that if you want. I'd say the game has just the right amount of complexity, it takes some thought to fulfill the needs of your airborne city without being overwhelming. Plus a few interesting mechanics around being airborne, such as the city's balance (too much tilt makes the inhabitants unhappy), making building placement important. Your city is always on the move as resources deplete quickly, but slowly regenerate, so there is constant advancement to fresh nodes of resources.

It also has a nice photo mode, as you are obviously meant to show off your cities. Here is my end-game city, self-sufficient when it comes to water and food.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Are there any recent chill managment/tactics-games? I've been in a Pikmin/Dungeon Keeper/Settlers-mood the last few days.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you want FFT style tactics games, Fell Seal and Fae Tactics are both good. If you're willing to use EGS, there is a Battletech-style mecha SRPG called Phantom Brigade that is currently in Early Access. Then there is Troubleshooters, an anime-themed SRPG that is notorious for being insanely complex and continuously introducing more and more game mechanics. Finally we have Gears (of war) Tactics which is currently 50% off, but which is supposedly not really anything special except for the Gears of War license.

On the building sim side, we have Airborne Kingdom, which is apparently fairly short (10 hours for a full playthrough) but otherwise supposedly very chill and fun. Otherwise I can't think of much in that genre right now aside from Cities: Skylines, but there's more slated to come out sometimes next year I think.

Hope this helps.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Isn't there a genre of (anime) fiction where a large world changing event is a metaphor of the relationship between two persons? This feels like part of that sort of stories

Sekai-kei, for the record.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

If you want FFT style tactics games, Fell Seal and Fae Tactics are both good. If you're willing to use EGS, there is a Battletech-style mecha SRPG called Phantom Brigade that is currently in Early Access. Then there is Troubleshooters, an anime-themed SRPG that is notorious for being insanely complex and continuously introducing more and more game mechanics. Finally we have Gears (of war) Tactics which is currently 50% off, but which is supposedly not really anything special except for the Gears of War license.

On the building sim side, we have Airborne Kingdom, which is apparently fairly short (10 hours for a full playthrough) but otherwise supposedly very chill and fun. Otherwise I can't think of much in that genre right now aside from Cities: Skylines, but there's more slated to come out sometimes next year I think.

Hope this helps.

That's a few to look into. Thanks.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Cardiovorax posted:

Hope this helps.

Huh I had heard quite a few people say Gears of War Tactics was surprisingly good?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ms Adequate posted:

Huh I had heard quite a few people say Gears of War Tactics was surprisingly good?
:shrug: I've mostly heard people say that it's okay but nothing special and that the story is completely forgettable. I guess it depends on who you're talking to. At a 7/10 average, you'll always get a lot of mixed opinions.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

If you're here for X-Com its pretty good but honestly has maybe too much/too slow content.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Anyone try this early access Neolithic city builder? I love that period of history, so I've been looking forward to this, but I don't know if I'll ever find the time these days.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/667610/Ancient_Cities/

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Charlz Guybon posted:

Anyone try this early access Neolithic city builder? I love that period of history, so I've been looking forward to this, but I don't know if I'll ever find the time these days.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/667610/Ancient_Cities/

I think it was posted earlier itt and its not good, not yet anyway. Premise is fine, but the content is not there yet

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ms Adequate posted:

It's not bad, but it's also not great. It does a really good job of translating Gears style combat(oohrah big beef hulkmans chainsawing monsters) to a turn based strategy game, and it has some really cool mechanical ideas, but it falls down because it's a completely linear campaign with little variance or reason for replay, the generic troops are utterly replaceable/forgettable, and the loot system loving sucks rear end(literally loot crates with random items with % bonuses to random poo poo bolted to them).

It's not a waste of money but it's pretty far down the list of turn based strategy games I'd spend AAA money on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I picked this up at the Steam Sale and its a nifty asymmetrical card game. The main hook is defeating enemies cause them to drop "data" that when you then play your "reprogram" card you can add and upgrade cards in the middle of the match. But the game has a lot of nifty ideas, like you can execute an entire row of cards causing them to all activate from left to right (which has some neat synergies like cards that give +2 attack that you want to put at the very left) and remove them from the row.

It kinda throws you into the deep end after the first few tutorial matches but this thing has a lot of neat ideas.