Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

stev posted:

I feel like a complete loving idiot for making plans to see my family now. Here me and my partner are with a bunch of wrapped presents we can't give and nothing to eat or drink on Christmas day. We've even held back on seeing our families for the last few months because we thought it'd be safer to have just one safe, socially distant visit at the end of the year.

After losing both my remaining grandparents this year and not being able to mourn with my family this was just the last thing we needed.

You may as well just wait to have some kind of summer Christmas. Well Autumn. It is shite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm sure this new strain will bode well for Brexit and the willingness of other nations to allow anyone or anything to come from Plague Island.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/JP_Biz/status/1340304830389243906?s=20

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

stev posted:

I feel like a complete loving idiot for making plans to see my family now. Here me and my partner are with a bunch of wrapped presents we can't give and nothing to eat or drink on Christmas day. We've even held back on seeing our families for the last few months because we thought it'd be safer to have just one safe, socially distant visit at the end of the year.

After losing both my remaining grandparents this year and not being able to mourn with my family this was just the last thing we needed.

I'm in a similar situation. After losing my dad this year we were looking forward to Christmas with my mum + my brother and sister-in-law. 5 people, none of whom are going out anyway, we thought we should be safe and low-risk. Now my mum is being placed into Tier 4 and we're trying to figure out if she can go to my brother's tonight (to avoid her technically bringing her Tier 4 restrictions with her) or my fiance and I stay home.

It would have just been a little nice thing to see out a poo poo year. Hopefully 2021 is better.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm sure this new strain will bode well for Brexit and the willingness of other nations to allow anyone or anything to come from Plague Island.

It won't make a difference because it's bullshit. Peston is on twitter now talking about how the new strain spreads faster between kids. So a new strain comes along just in time to give them a perfect excuse to u-turn on Christmas and a perfect excuse to say they were right to keep schools open but they should stay closed in the new year.

It's like the genetically engineered bio weapon conspiracy theory except this one was made by a PR firm.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

I'm in a similar situation. After losing my dad this year we were looking forward to Christmas with my mum + my brother and sister-in-law. 5 people, none of whom are going out anyway, we thought we should be safe and low-risk. Now my mum is being placed into Tier 4 and we're trying to figure out if she can go to my brother's tonight (to avoid her technically bringing her Tier 4 restrictions with her) or my fiance and I stay home.

It would have just been a little nice thing to see out a poo poo year. Hopefully 2021 is better.

if she's going into tier 4 then she's already in tier 3 and shouldn't

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the Guardian not Johnson, but lmao at "the bulk people"

quiet bulk people

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

stev posted:

You're not the only one. I was going to meet my nephew for the first time this Christmas.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tarnop posted:

It won't make a difference because it's bullshit. Peston is on twitter now talking about how the new strain spreads faster between kids. So a new strain comes along just in time to give them a perfect excuse to u-turn on Christmas and a perfect excuse to say they were right to keep schools open but they should stay closed in the new year.

It's like the genetically engineered bio weapon conspiracy theory except this one was made by a PR firm.

its absolutely insane that even now they're still loving covering for the tories/boris

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

We've got a guy who's entire career was just making wealthy people richer who's quite happy to watch tens of thousands die for it as the Treasurer. Can't wait for the BBC to portray him as Goku fighting a Freeza labelled "Debt".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Oh poo poo, this might affect some of my Christmas ordering. I never thought this Brexit thing would affect ME :negative:

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Welsh Tories are despicable. Crawling little bootlickers.

Johnson's a loving useless oval office. If he had any sense of decency he'd lock himself away with a revolver and a bottle of whiskey and do the honourable thing. Fat useless coward can't even do that.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Tarnop posted:

This is exactly right, its a load of bollocks that lets both the government & a bunch of senior medical people off the hook for their earlier lies about children not spreading the virus. Its a lie to cover for the previous lie, I'm sure a further lie will be along shortly. No worries though I'm sure all these lies will give people confidence in taking the vaccine

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Jose posted:

if she's going into tier 4 then she's already in tier 3 and shouldn't

Yeah we've just found that in the guidance. Guess we're staying home for Christmas.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A new variant of coronavirus, at this time of year, in this part of the country, localized entirely within southern schools?

Yes.

May I see it?

No.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I know it's pathetic, but I feel really sad about this news. Lockdown has been by no means horrendous or anything like that, but I've not seen my family in months, and Christmas was genuinely keeping me going. Neither of my parents have seen my daughter for three months, and in toddler terms that's ages, they just develop so much.

It's definitely the right decision. I just wish they'd made it weeks or months ago so hopes hadn't risen, plans not made and presents not bought. Or at least ordered to the right place!

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

My brother lives in Cardiff, so it looks like we won't be able to meet this year :(

And if they had had a proper lockdown earlier in the year (everyone stay at home unless it's an emergency, none of this tier nonsense, wear your mask and stop complaining) then they wouldn't have to do all this at the last minute.

Still, imagine if we lived in Corbyn's Britain, eh?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Glasgow_Live/status/1340351629506306051?s=19

Gotta protect ourselves from this "English Flu".

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Yeah we've been able to rearrange plans so we're seeing my brother and his kid on Christmas day, how I'm gonna get by other brother's presents to him i don't know...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The Perfect Element posted:

I know it's pathetic, but I feel really sad about this news. Lockdown has been by no means horrendous or anything like that, but I've not seen my family in months, and Christmas was genuinely keeping me going. Neither of my parents have seen my daughter for three months, and in toddler terms that's ages, they just develop so much.

It's definitely the right decision. I just wish they'd made it weeks or months ago so hopes hadn't risen, plans not made and presents not bought. Or at least ordered to the right place!

It's not pathetic, a lot of people feel that way. My mum and aunt are both at the end of their tether over it despite being very disciplined all year.

I've been prepared for this since February and it's still getting to me too

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's not pathetic, a lot of people feel that way. My mum and aunt are both at the end of their tether over it despite being very disciplined all year.

Yeah my Mum has been in tears over it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

A new variant of coronavirus, at this time of year, in this part of the country, localized entirely within southern schools?

Yes.

May I see it?

No.

I hear they got it by eating this awful thing from their "English Markets" called "Jellied Eels".

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Currently thinking about how some London schools wanted to finish term 1 (one) single solitary week early as COVID transmission was spiralling and were instead met with legal action by the government.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I texted my mum to commiserate over her plans being hosed up, and received a full-throated defense of the government in response. I'm OK with a small christmas .

Noxville posted:

Currently thinking about how some London schools wanted to finish term 1 (one) single solitary week early as COVID transmission was spiralling and were instead met with legal action by the government.

Oh did you not hear? Schools and daycare stay open in tier 4

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
He had this coming, the idiot should have never suggested this whole "Football with The Germans" idea in the first loving place.

Tarnop posted:

I texted my mum to commiserate over her plans being hosed up, and received a full-throated defense of the government in response. I'm OK with a small christmas .

So when you say full throated does that mean with racial/social epithets and everything?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It sucks.
But it's best to do this instead of having to plan for a funeral in New Years.

Must be in a minority here, Christmas is waaaaay overrated.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I don't quite understand why 3 households meeting up for one day is less risky than 2 households for five days :confused:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Queen Nic did her whole thing of making a speech basically announcing what evee bojo just said as if it's her plan

drat shame we have this new strain that can infect children, utterly unlike the previous strain

Fwiw the strain probably is real cause that's what happens when you do herd immunity, the more people with it the more mutations and we've had hundreds of thousands of cases

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

happyhippy posted:

It sucks.
But it's best to do this instead of having to plan for a funeral in New Years.

Must be in a minority here, Christmas is waaaaay overrated.

I was relieved to be honest. So many people doing the whole "but it won't happen to us!" mentality despite winter being the worst for this poo poo and the virus clearly out of control. Family are upset about it and I feel bad, but as I keep saying: "which of your loved ones are you willing to kill so you don't have to use video chat?"

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Convex posted:

I don't quite understand why 3 households meeting up for one day is less risky than 2 households for five days :confused:

I did think the same but actually, if you’re in the early stages of infection but aren’t infectious yet then 1 day of contact when you’re not virulent is better than 5 days at the end of which you are.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ConanThe3rd posted:

So when you say full throated does that mean with racial/social epithets and everything?

"Other countries have made last minute changes too, it's worse in Germany and Italy, you always blame the government but they're doing their best"

It would be easy to reply but the years have taught me it wouldn't be worth it.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

:sever:

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Ugggh my mum wants me to leave London tonight and drive across the country so I can stay with her over Xmas. I feel really bad about not going, but even apart from the virus everyone else will have the same idea so it'll be carnage on the roads.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Noxville posted:

I did think the same but actually, if you’re in the early stages of infection but aren’t infectious yet then 1 day of contact when you’re not virulent is better than 5 days at the end of which you are.

Oh that makes sense, wasn't aware that there was a difference in how contagious you are.

Also is this true that the new strain can infect children much more easily? :ohdear:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

spiderbot posted:

Ugggh my mum wants me to leave London tonight and drive across the country so I can stay with her over Xmas. I feel really bad about not going, but even apart from the virus everyone else will have the same idea so it'll be carnage on the roads.

London is currently T3, so if she cares about following the rules you can't do this

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

spiderbot posted:

Doing that tonight as opposed to next week will still be breaking the rules since you're not supposed to go into lower tier areas so I don't see what difference it makes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm pleased my family (despite there being a new babby tempting us otherwise) agreed with pretty much no dissent* that a traditional Christmas would be impossible this year, even if it does mean I had to drive up and down the country twice last week picking up and dropping off presents**. We've got Easter penciled in for a big blowout meal and mini present-swapping as a family knowing it's extremely optimistic but also with the hope that by then - between vaccine rollout*** and probably a long and proper lockdown over winter - the risks to all will be pretty low.

I'm also again weirdly (and slightly guiltily) glad my mum and dad (both of whom would have been extremely vulnerable) died a few years ago. Flu season was basically one long panic attack for me, particularly as there was no means short of chains to stop the silly old buggers jumping on a bus at the slightest provocation.

* The one dissenting voice was my sister-in-law - "Oh I really wanted to see you all it's important for the family", translated "I want to eat whichever of you can't come up with an excuse out of house and home". She's not a *bad* person but gently caress me 2-3 hours is a looooong time with her and last year she and my brother turned up on Christmas Eve and I had to threaten to turn off the heating to get them out before New Years.
** loving terrified myself getting back from that second trip dropping off things that I'd handled to all of my family when I started to develop URT symptoms, then remembered that for like the third time I'd absent-mindedly thrown my mask in with the normal washing, not the towels, and I was having an allergic reaction to the fabric softener. TBH I probably shouldn't use it on anything if it has that effect on me when I breathe it in, but it smells so lovely...
*** Johnson said 300k people have been jabbed so far, which sounds like an impressive number in 10 days, but obviously that will half once the second doses start up, 15k/people a day means we should have half the country dosed by... 2026.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ConanThe3rd posted:

He had this coming, the idiot should have never suggested this whole "Football with The Germans" idea in the first loving place.
Yeah it didn't work out well in 1996 either.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

There is a distinct strain getting passed around and it seems to be getting dominant quickly so the idea that it is more infectious than other types is legit. However it is getting passed around and might only exist at all because our tiers have always been inadequate to contain the spread of the virus which is why we're rushing to a third lockdown already.

Join the Zero Covid campaign so that this next lockdown doesn't just delay the spread by three weeks. Instead we eliminate the spread of the virus by getting everyone to stay home, paying them enough to do so rather than wasting it on corrupt friends of the Tories and having a proper test and trace system in place to keep cases low and contained until we complete vaccination.

https://zerocovid.uk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Just been reminded of this gem.

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1247565360431280140