Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That listing mentions us only. I'd be interested in 3060ti Fe / UK, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

What's the goonsensus on 3060Ti performance relative to the 1080Ti? I haven't been able to find any direction comparisons.

Trying to decide if I treat my partner to a NIB 3060Ti and put the 1080Ti on the shelf, or just hand down the 1080Ti to them. The idea of having a spare GPU for troubleshooting is really appealing given my increased tinkering tendencies.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
unless you are wealthy the 1080ti is way overpriced right now on the used market if that influences your decision

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
NPR did a bit last night about Cyberpunk being a disaster, saying that it even runs poorly on the nicest hardware available, the PlayStation 5.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

denereal visease posted:

What's the goonsensus on 3060Ti performance relative to the 1080Ti? I haven't been able to find any direction comparisons.

Trying to decide if I treat my partner to a NIB 3060Ti and put the 1080Ti on the shelf, or just hand down the 1080Ti to them. The idea of having a spare GPU for troubleshooting is really appealing given my increased tinkering tendencies.

Having a gpu in an easily accessible second computer counts as having one on a shelf, they're as easy to swap in and out as components get.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

bus hustler posted:

unless you are wealthy the 1080ti is way overpriced right now on the used market if that influences your decision
Fair point but I have no interest or intent to resell it. Don't want to deal with shipping and scammers. There is no loving way I am having a close, in-person reaction with a stranger during :coronatoot: so local resale is off the table too.

Some Goon posted:

Having a gpu in an easily accessible second computer counts as having one on a shelf, they're as easy to swap in and out as components get.
True, but the goal for my partner's build is to have a super stable system that never has downtime.

Really I think my mind's already made up, just not sure if I should try to get a 3060Ti or 3070 for the casual gamer in my life who plays Borderlands 3 or Rocket League sometimes but is really more of a Stardew Valley person at the core.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Rolo posted:

NPR did a bit last night about Cyberpunk being a disaster, saying that it even runs poorly on the nicest hardware available, the PlayStation 5.

Its weird on some console heavy forums the pitchforks are out baling for CDProject blood, calling it the worst release in literally decades (!)

PC side its just another mildly buggy open world RPG release, likely fine in a few months :yawn:

I mean even with all the returns they will probably make a tasty net profit on the old consoles but PR wise they should have just passed on that poo poo

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 19, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I mean it's cliche to say "console gamers are immature/ignorant/don't understand gaming", but it's also true to some significant extent. There are always more extreme reactions coming from console gamers, either irrationally defending or hating on a game. This is particularly common with cross-gen releases, people always freak the gently caress out saying THIS GAME WILL BE REMEMBERED AS THE WORST OF ALL TIME but I honestly can't think of a game looking back that was PS3/360 > Bone/PS4 cross-gen and is still looked down on for the shittyness of the last-gen release. I think CP2077 is going to take some big lumps for quite a while, but is the game doomed? No. Is it going to make less revenue than it might have if they had done a full year delay 6 months ago? Maybe.

I haven't played it so I don't know how good it actually is/will be, but I think in the long run it will probably get whatever public perception that it deserves.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It's legit much much better on PC than consoles though. It's quite good on PC! Not a masterpiece but probably a better game than Fallout 4. But on consoles the performance issues are real and the bugginess is a lot more of an issue.

I don't think it's fair to say the console owners are overreacting, their experience is straight up worse than the average PC experience, even PCs without high-end hardware.

They should have just not released a PS4/XBO version but I understand why that was not going to fly as a business decision.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Yeah i don't really blame the console crowd either. It's more CDPR rational greed got the better of them here. The performance was perhaps not quite there to make it work gameplay experience wise. Cue explosive dissatisfaction.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It's an ok game, but the wheels come off very easily. I don't even think it's a better game than Fallout 4, that actually had some semblance of decent combat gameplay with the VATS, and better variety in handling combat situations. Fallout 4 has vastly superior gameplay, crafting (ESPECIALLY crafting), character customization, stats, RPG elements, etc etc etc. The only thing Cyberpunk has going for it is its story - the VA, setting, set pieces and pacing are amazing. Everything else? Blandly mediocre.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Oof, a friend of mine went to a Microcenter a couple hours away and said they had a 3070 there, but they would only sell it to you if you paid them to build a computer for you.

This is getting frustrating. I need to build a new desktop, but I wanted to do it on my own terms and not just get some shitbox a third party threw together using whatever bullshit was on the parts bench.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

DeathSandwich posted:

Oof, a friend of mine went to a Microcenter a couple hours away and said they had a 3070 there, but they would only sell it to you if you paid them to build a computer for you.

This is getting frustrating. I need to build a new desktop, but I wanted to do it on my own terms and not just get some shitbox a third party threw together using whatever bullshit was on the parts bench.

Hmm that sounds odd since it seemed like Micro Center was getting more product in stock lately - my brother got extremely lucky when he went yesterday and scored a 3080 cuz someone in front of him couldn't afford the Asus variant that was available

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Maybe the console crowd are right for expecting relatively bug-free games at launch and pc owners are too tolerant of buying things that aren't really finished / ready.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

air- posted:

Hmm that sounds odd since it seemed like Micro Center was getting more product in stock lately - my brother got extremely lucky when he went yesterday and scored a 3080 cuz someone in front of him couldn't afford the Asus variant that was available

This is the one in Kansas City, and it's apparently the last one they have. :shrug:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I should also mention there's even a discord for discussion about stock at every Micro Center: https://discord.gg/W438Vz2

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

denereal visease posted:

Go watch the Gamers Nexus review of the 3060 Ti here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9H2PfYDFok
It has direct comparisons against the 1080 Ti.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Is there a useful list of ray tracing games available right now? While I wait in the Cyberpunk patch, I want to play something else. Most of the lists I'm finding on google are things like "List of ray tracing games you can play right now" and then half the games aren't out yet.

So far I've played Cyberpunk and World of Warcraft with ray tracing. WoW's support seems more like a non-useful novelty more than anything else. I've got Control, I'm waiting on that for now, though.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Chainclaw posted:

Is there a useful list of ray tracing games available right now? While I wait in the Cyberpunk patch, I want to play something else. Most of the lists I'm finding on google are things like "List of ray tracing games you can play right now" and then half the games aren't out yet.

So far I've played Cyberpunk and World of Warcraft with ray tracing. WoW's support seems more like a non-useful novelty more than anything else. I've got Control, I'm waiting on that for now, though.

Metro Exodus

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like putting RT in WOW would be completely pointless. That game is ancient.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like putting RT in WOW would be completely pointless. That game is ancient.

I assume it wasn't hard to implement, that's why Blizzard did it. There are comparison shots on the WoW site: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/23494819/engineers-workshop-enabling-ray-traced-shadows-in-shadowlands

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Shadow of the Tomb Raider has pretty shadows with RT.

Control, Cyberpunk, and Metro Exodus are the ones that are most transformed by RT. I have a feeling that adoption will become better after the success of the new 30x0 cards and the masses experiencing it in CP, plus the new generation consoles supporting it.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Chainclaw posted:

Is there a useful list of ray tracing games available right now?
Doom Eternal, Minecraft, Metro Exodus, Shadow of the Tomb Raider. There are others but there's not very many.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well they did it for Quake II.

That's beyond the point, though, since WoW isn't actually a video game, just a warcraft-themed slot machine

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's only for shadows. Self shadows end up the most noticeable. But all it really ends up doing is making you notice how most light sources don't cast shadows, and your shadow is usually cast from a non-existent light source.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, really tanks performance on my 2080 Super (but, then again, enabling ray tracing in any game will really tank FPS with that card)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fame Douglas posted:

I assume it wasn't hard to implement, that's why Blizzard did it. There are comparison shots on the WoW site: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/23494819/engineers-workshop-enabling-ray-traced-shadows-in-shadowlands
Must be, because it's extremely subtle except in maybe one of those pictures

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Doom Eternal, Minecraft, Metro Exodus, Shadow of the Tomb Raider. There are others but there's not very many.

Doom Eternal doesn't have RT, they floated the idea of maybe adding it before release but they still haven't committed to anything

Maybe they were waiting for Vulkan raytracing to be finished though, which has happened now

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Ghostrunner has RT too

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

repiv posted:

Doom Eternal doesn't have RT
Whoops you're right. For some reason I thought it was in already.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

id did promise it at one point but I think it got sidelined.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

with what you guys shared and what I found online, here's I think all the options. I think I'll buy Metro Exodus.

Have
    Cyberpunk
    Call of Duty Something Something - came with GPU
    Minecraft
    Control
    World of Warcraft for some pointless ray tracing
    Quake 2
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Game Pass
    Mechwarrior 5 - Game Pass
    The Medium - Game Pass - hard to verify if this has ray tracing from google, I'm seeing mixed answers
    Deliver us the Moon - Game Pass - I really want to play this, but it makes me very motion sick
    Wolfenstein Youngblood - Game Pass
    Gears 5 - Game Pass

Will get
    Metro Exodus is on sale nearly everywhere right now, picking it up

Thinking about
    Watch Dogs Legion
    Dirt 5

Will probably skip
    Battlefield 5
    Ghostrunner
    Bright Memory
    Amid Evil
    Fortnite
    Mortal Shell - I'm seeing mixed answers on google if this has ray tracing
    Pumpkin Jack
    Ring of Elysium
    Maneater - Have it on Xbox, ray tracing there does look good

Other
    Final Fantasy 15 doesn't have ray tracing, but it does support DLSS for some reason. I have this already on PC.

I really don't like that a majority of the ray tracing games are first person or actiony. I would love a good meaty 3rd person turn based RPG or something.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

FF15 uses the first iteration of DLSS which isn't very good so it's not worth looking into if you're after something that takes advantage of your shiny new GPU properly. It's still a decent game though.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Sorry if this was answered already and I missed it, but has anyone definitively figured out what DLSS Auto is doing in Cyberpunk? Some posts online say it changes depending on your screen resolution, while others say it dynamically changes in-game to maintain performance.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

After trying CP 2077 on Geforce Now with all RT settings maxed including GI at 1080p alongside non-RT @ 3440x1440, I have to say the higher-fidelity lighting makes a big difference to the atmosphere. I miss it when going back to non-RT though the clarity and ultra-wide is a big differentiator too. But happy with GFN as a service - will be great to be able to play while on the road.

It does feel like reflectivity on non-mirror materials is amped up a bit too much when RT is active. They need to turn it down a bit in places.

Wrote this up for the settings I'm using with CP on GFN, case it's useful to someone else: https://imgur.com/gallery/x0ETpUE

Already got the downvotes because lolz look at this 1080p poo poo - seems like cloud gaming isn't well known outside of Stadia.

E: RT reflectivity is high on glass in general. There was one mission where I couldn't see clearly through glass doors in a few spots until opened because of the reflections overriding the transparency or however it's modeled. Moved beyond cool to unrealistic distraction in that building.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 19, 2020

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

bus hustler posted:

I felt smug for getting £75 more for my 1080Ti in early October than the going rate immediately after the 3080 announcement. The same model is now routinely selling for another £75 on top - I should have left it under the bed and watched it magically increase in value.

Edit: Thoughts and prayers with the panic sellers.

SuperTeeJay fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 19, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Chainclaw posted:

I really don't like that a majority of the ray tracing games are first person or actiony. I would love a good meaty 3rd person turn based RPG or something.

It's on your list as you tried already, but Minecraft is probably the game with the biggest game-play impact of RT. It does make the game itself different with RT on.

In a very Microsoft-way they make you go through the creator worlds instead of just giving you easy access to the sandbox.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lockback posted:

It's on your list as you tried already, but Minecraft is probably the game with the biggest game-play impact of RT. It does make the game itself different with RT on.

In a very Microsoft-way they make you go through the creator worlds instead of just giving you easy access to the sandbox.

It should also be mentioned that it's Bedrock edition only, so if you have the Java version you need to buy the game again

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lockback posted:

The sandbox works fine, you just need to use a resource (texture) pack with PBR channels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

change my name posted:

It should also be mentioned that it's Bedrock edition only, so if you have the Java version you need to buy the game again

Does that version support mods? It's hard to play vanilla Minecraft, we usually play heavily modded.