Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If making a living from home on a computer is a thing you can do then gently caress off with complaining about your work life balance and embrace how loving privileged you are.

The bad things about rona year are manyfold and “I work from my home office” is so far far down the list it’s laughable gently caress off

I mean there are definitely tradeoffs, especially if you happen to have a personality that tends toward the more pathological sort of isolation. But yeah, without question, working from home is an incredible luxury in so many ways.

My biggest COVID-related peeve is COVID. I 'got over' it a month ago and still have times where I'm only functional for half the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

docbeard posted:

My biggest COVID-related peeve is COVID. I 'got over' it a month ago and still have times where I'm only functional for half the day.

It took me about 6 weeks before I was all the way functional again, it sucked a lot.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If making a living from home on a computer is a thing you can do then gently caress off with complaining about your work life balance and embrace how loving privileged you are.

The bad things about rona year are manyfold and “I work from my home office” is so far far down the list it’s laughable gently caress off

Everyone's struggles are real and valid. Nobody should compare their trauma to anyone else's.

I'm not ignoring my privilege, but just because I have some perks in life doesn't mean I don't have issues and that I need to "sit down and shut up" because some folks have it worse.

I'm genuinely sorry you are having struggles, that sucks, but I'd never belittle your issues because I could point to some of the homeless addicts panhandling outside the LCBO who have it worse than you, but that would be useless and lovely.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I still have no sense of smell! I miss smelling fresh bread, fruit, spices...

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I definitely feel privileged that 1) I didn't get laid off in March and 2) That I've been able to work from home since then. It took me a little bit of time to get used to it but now I have totally adapted to it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People posting about stray pets on Facebook.

Call the council. They will come and collect the animal, and if someone owns it they can also call the council and have it returned. Why are there a billion Facebook groups/pages reinventing this particular wheel? The system for reuniting lost pets with their owners already exists. :stare:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

People posting about stray pets on Facebook.

Call the council. They will come and collect the animal, and if someone owns it they can also call the council and have it returned. Why are there a billion Facebook groups/pages reinventing this particular wheel? The system for reuniting lost pets with their owners already exists. :stare:

I think ideally if I lost a pet I'd rather it be cared for at someone's house instead of "the pound", but yeah facebook shares are way too unreliable especially now where more and more people aren't using it.

What I don't get is the people who share the facebook posts for lost pets in a place they live 2000 miles from. I guess it's possible in theory it could help, but in reality it just clogs up my feed with generic looking pitbulls in states i've never been in (often missing for over a year or two).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Pit bull discourse is a peeve. They’re not inherently monsters or anything but the breed does have bad traits and there’s no reason to breed specific breeds at all unless it’s a working dog breed. Take care of the existing ones bc they did nothing wrong but stop breeding them.

Also, they are ugly as gently caress and I have never wanted to see a pic of someone’s pit bull. And hell I basically never see anyone actually mad about pit bulls, it’s always someone posting their doughfaced little monster dog and going “UNFRIEND ME IF U HAVE ANYTHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT THE BEST AND SWEETEST BREED”

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:41 on Dec 19, 2020

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"Hey guys let's really gently caress up some wolves."
-John Dog, inventor of dogs 38.000 BC

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 17:45 on Dec 19, 2020

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
better "pibble" fans, imo, than pug apologists. it should be illegal to purposefully breed dogs and cats without faces, like the drat things' airways are all hosed up and malformed, on purpose, that's cruelty

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Pit bull discourse is a peeve. They’re not inherently monsters or anything but the breed does have bad traits and there’s no reason to breed specific breeds at all unless it’s a working dog breed. Take care of the existing ones bc they did nothing wrong but stop breeding them.

Also, they are ugly as gently caress and I have never wanted to see a pic of someone’s pit bull. And hell I basically never see anyone actually mad about pit bulls, it’s always someone posting their doughfaced little monster dog and going “UNFRIEND ME IF U HAVE ANYTHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT THE BEST AND SWEETEST BREED”

agreed. i feel like people try way too hard to like those ugly fuckers

InediblePenguin posted:

better "pibble" fans, imo, than pug apologists.

pugs don’t regularly tear people apart

nishi koichi has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Dec 19, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ugly dogs are amazing.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Ugly pets are fantastic, but the practice of pedigree breeding should absolutely go. There was something on telly a few months ago about people getting duped out of thousands of pounds cos they were buying moggies who they thought were Persians or whatever, and all I could think was just 'good. gently caress em.'

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Hella shiny license plate frames that reflect the sun in your eyes when you're driving behind them.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

nishi koichi posted:

pugs don’t regularly tear people apart
Neither do pitt bulls. There's only 10-20 dog attack deaths per year in the US. More people die from getting hit by lightning.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Foxfire_ posted:

Neither do pitt bulls. There's only 10-20 dog attack deaths per year in the US. More people die from getting hit by lightning.

there were 48 dog bite fatalities in 2019, 33 of those deaths were caused by pits, never mind injuries.

from 2005 to 2019, 346 out of 521 deaths were caused by pits

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

InediblePenguin posted:

better "pibble" fans, imo, than pug apologists. it should be illegal to purposefully breed dogs and cats without faces, like the drat things' airways are all hosed up and malformed, on purpose, that's cruelty

Love to breed animals that will eject their eyeballs from their sockets if they sneeze too hard. Mutts and moggies all the way.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

nishi koichi posted:

there were 48 dog bite fatalities in 2019, 33 of those deaths were caused by pits, never mind injuries.

Couldn't this just mean that the US has a shitload of pitbulls?

I don't think they're poo poo, I don't think they're the sweetest things ever, to me they are just default dogs. It seems like most of the dogs I encounter around town are pitbulls.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dip Viscous posted:

Couldn't this just mean that the US has a shitload of pitbulls?

I don't think they're poo poo, I don't think they're the sweetest things ever, to me they are just default dogs. It seems like most of the dogs I encounter around town are pitbulls.

I work at a vet's office (less so no bc of rona, I barely ever go in), but more than half of the serious dog bite injuries on dogs and cats we see are pits. They're not particularly mean or whatever but when they go off, they go off hard.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I don't think the point being made was that all pits are bad, more just that the majority of injuries are from pits, which is fair. Statistics don't lie but they don't really tell the whole story either. I'd argue that it has more to do with a higher percentage of pits being owned by absolute assholes who want them to be killers and treat them like poo poo. You don't see dog fighters buying up pugs or korgies and chaining them up with no real interaction whatsoever.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

There are definitely a lot of Americans that are uniquely bad at caring for and training their dogs, but I just mean that most dogs I see are pitbulls. So it tracks that most dog attacks would be pitbulls, regardless of a particular breed's traits.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 00:16 on Dec 20, 2020

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Most dogs you see are pitbulls? I live in Oregon and at least in my neighborhood it's mostly tiny dogs or labs. Occasionally there are danes or something more exotic I guess but I don't see pits around all that much. I have a couple friends that own pits (who are awesome, sweet doggies) but I don't see a ton of them out and about.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I went down a rabbithole of CDC death statistics. https://wonder.cdc.gov/ucd-icd10.html
2001 had a surge of deaths from crocodile/alligator (it has its own code). Sleeping in a bed instead of on the floor is also much more dangerous than dogs, about 1000-2000 deaths per year between falls and accidental suffocation

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Those don't have anything to do with dogs, though.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I just clicked into my twitter tab on my browser and saw a cool tweet i wanted to click on, only for it to auto-refresh with newer ones not once, but twice. It's like those tweets are lost to history now because someone who designed twitter thought this was desirable behavior for their website. Let me push a button.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

nishi koichi posted:

I've never been bit or harmed in any way by a pit bull.

Chihuahuas have bitten the crap out of me many times but I've never had a pit bull be anything but rambunctious, loving, and happy.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've been bitten by one dog in my entire life.

It was an affenpinscher.

Make of that what you will.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

mostlygray posted:

I've never been bit or harmed in any way by a pit bull.

Chihuahuas have bitten the crap out of me many times but I've never had a pit bull be anything but rambunctious, loving, and happy.

This is my peeve, people tossing out data in favor of their own anecdotal experience. I have nothing against pit bulls, I'm sure your experience is similar to that of many other people, but the data tells us that pit bulls are responsible for many deaths and maimings. It is an unfortunate combination of their genetics and stereotype.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

sephiRoth IRA posted:

This is my peeve, people tossing out data in favor of their own anecdotal experience. I have nothing against pit bulls, I'm sure your experience is similar to that of many other people, but the data tells us that pit bulls are responsible for many deaths and maimings. It is an unfortunate combination of their genetics and stereotype.
Data does not say that. Data says that dogs of any kind are responsible for a negligible amount of deaths and maimings. Of that very tiny amount, more are reported as being from pits.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Foxfire_ posted:

Data does not say that. Data says that dogs of any kind are responsible for a negligible amount of deaths and maimings. Of that very tiny amount, more are reported as being from pits.

Yeah. No poo poo. That's another peeve. The topic under discussion is the data surrounding dog attacks. Not "how do dog attacks stack up against deaths related to eating too many burgers". People are bad at connecting datasets as if they are easily and immediately comparable. Like people comparing influenza and SARS-CoV-2 mortality.

You're right of course; dog attacks are an infinitesimally small proportion of total deaths, and of course we shouldn't be banning pit bulls due to their disproportionate share of this extremely small number. But that doesn't mean the data doesn't support that pit bulls, when discussing dog-related danger, are a problem.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Foxfire_ posted:

I've been attacked by dogs before. Often. People here suck at owning dogs and often adopt a dog and then never interact with it again apart from leaving food out for it. I can't walk to the grocery store without pepper spray on me.

Your numbers on mattresses don't make me any safer. I don't know what you're doing here, but I'm done with it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What is data but a bunch of anecdotal experiences gathered together when you get down to brass tacks?

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
I get bitten by dogs all the time. And every single time it is actually my cat because she is done being petted for now.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

None of the shelves in my kitchen can fit a box of cereal upright

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The thing is poorly socialized chihuahuas struggle to seriously damage a toddler, while a pit bull can easily kill one if they decide to. Again it’s more a problem of what they were bred for than whether or not they are more inclined to violence.

E: and worth noting the yappy bitey toy breeds are like that because they’re terrified of the enormous strangers. They’re basically never going to be triggered to be offensive against a human-sized thing.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Dec 21, 2020

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

oldpainless posted:

What is data but a bunch of anecdotal experiences gathered together when you get down to brass tacks?

More like oldrigorless

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
My parents park their cars in their driveway like this, with an entire car length of space between the house and their cars (pardon the crude ascii art):

House
|.............................|
|...______...______..|
|...|.........|..|........|...|
|...|_____|..|_____|...|
|_________________|
Road

This leaves just barely enough room for me to park behind them when I visit. If they have multiple people over, which happens frequently especially during holidays, I often have to park in the street even though there's enough room for two more cars in the driveway if they would just pull up more. Even if they're expecting guests, they won't move their cars forward. This is especially annoying in the winter when the roads haven't been plowed. They claim that they park this way so my dad has room to maneuver their snow plow out of the garage. This is clearly bullshit because:

1) they park this way year-round;
2) they have a little snow blower, not a big professional thing, how much room could they possibly need??;
3) when they are expecting snowfall, they rearrange their cars and park LIKE THIS:

House
|........|..........|........|
|........|______|........|
|........_______........|
|........|______|........|
|............................|
|________________|
Road

I do not understand what is going on in my parents' boomer brains.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Aww, I like your ascii art :unsmith:

also yeah, gently caress parking all weird like that

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Townsends saying "paste" instead of "pastry". When he's reading out old recipes that say it, fine, that's accurate. But why does he consistently say it in all contexts? He's not speaking 18th century English otherwise, it's pretty much just this one word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

That they named the planet Uranus instead of Caelus.