Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Chainclaw posted:

Does that version support mods? It's hard to play vanilla Minecraft, we usually play heavily modded.

Unfortunately not, Bedrock is the gated multi-console version you have to buy "add-ons" for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Chainclaw posted:

Will probably skip
    Battlefield 5
    Ghostrunner
    Bright Memory
    Amid Evil
    Fortnite
    Mortal Shell - I'm seeing mixed answers on google if this has ray tracing
    Pumpkin Jack
    Ring of Elysium
    Maneater - Have it on Xbox, ray tracing there does look good

Battlefield 5 uses the old version of DLSS and the RTX is underwhelming after seeing it done better in other games.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

SuperTeeJay posted:

I felt smug for getting £75 more for my 1080Ti in early October than the going rate immediately after the 3080 announcement. The same model is now routinely selling for another £75 on top - I should have left it under the bed and watched it magically increase in value.

Edit: Thoughts and prayers with the panic sellers.

I sold a 1080 to someone right when the new ones came out and since the 3070 came out to crazy good reviews i actually dropped the price for him, assuming the bottom was about to fall out of the market :v:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SuperTeeJay posted:

I felt smug for getting £75 more for my 1080Ti in early October than the going rate immediately after the 3080 announcement. The same model is now routinely selling for another £75 on top - I should have left it under the bed and watched it magically increase in value.

Edit: Thoughts and prayers with the panic sellers.

I’m thinking seriously about selling my 1080 Ti but I don’t know if it’s worth the risk with Redditors outright endorsing loving with anyone they see as a “scalper”. It’s really raised public awareness on how little protection sellers get if anything goes wrong.

I don’t really want to sell it on SA either though because it’s a blower, which isn’t desirable and I’d probably make more on eBay.

It’s up on Craigslist for now.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

jisforjosh posted:

Battlefield 5 uses the old version of DLSS and the RTX is underwhelming after seeing it done better in other games.

It’s also only really worth the fps hit in single player, RTX doesn’t make sense for competitive shooters imo.

Battlefield V is also really broken in multiplayer (they don’t even have working autobalance so games end up 32v8 and there are an immense number of quality of life issues) and is essentially abandoned at this point as they move on to BF6. Maybe worth $5 at this point but it’s not something I think people are going to become super attached to and spend tons of hours in.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

I’m thinking seriously about selling my 1080 Ti but I don’t know if it’s worth the risk with Redditors outright endorsing loving with anyone they see as a “scalper”. It’s really raised public awareness on how little protection sellers get if anything goes wrong.

I don’t really want to sell it on SA either though because it’s a blower, which isn’t desirable and I’d probably make more on eBay.

I've also decided not to sell stuff used because what a scam eBay basically is for sellers.

I'm still surprised there isn't a social app just for selling physical games since the markup on digital games is still so absurd. Obviously social distancing increases the feasibility of that at the moment, though.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

SourKraut posted:

So is the 3070 Ti a sure thing?

If it is, that is what I am going to wait on.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Paul MaudDib posted:

Let me know how it goes. I'm 100% in the same boat. eBay just seems like so easy to scam poo poo going "oh i received it broken" and paypal going ne-ner-ne-ner and then not getting money but somehow getting a broken card back or something.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Zil posted:

It just showed up in AIDA64 data, so that's a pretty decent indication. Probably won't show up until sometime in Jan, though, given that NVidia has another "RTX Event" on 12 Jan.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

DrDork posted:

It just showed up in AIDA64 data, so that's a pretty decent indication. Probably won't show up until sometime in Jan, though, given that NVidia has another "RTX Event" on 12 Jan.

I am fine with waiting, currently have a 2070 super so I am good for now.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Xaris posted:

Let me know how it goes. I'm 100% in the same boat. eBay just seems like so easy to scam poo poo going "oh i received it broken" and paypal going ne-ner-ne-ner and then not getting money but somehow getting a broken card back or something.

There really isn't. If you're in a large city, Craigslist, FB Marketplace, etc, can all be decent options, but nothing provides the visibility and exposure to the mass of buyers that eBay does--which at this point is pretty much the only reason anyone should be selling stuff on eBay in the first place, considering their policies.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

OfferUp exists

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheCoach posted:

So uh, would anyone be willing to hunt down and ship a 3080 to Europe for me? I'd pay a 100$ upfront for the hunting effort and would cover shipping costs, the budget would be ~800$

hey so i have some other options for you. You dont have PMs but do you have a discord i can message you at?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Some Goon posted:

Maybe the console crowd are right for expecting relatively bug-free games at launch and pc owners are too tolerant of buying things that aren't really finished / ready.

Or maybe the game actually is just fine on PC? I'm 45 hours in and the only bugs I've run into are not being able to pick some random junk items up off the ground and a character having a gun stuck to their forehead in one cinematic.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Regrettable posted:

Or maybe the game actually is just fine on PC? I'm 45 hours in and the only bugs I've run into are not being able to pick some random junk items up off the ground and a character having a gun stuck to their forehead in one cinematic.

40 hours in on pc and I've had a similar experience. Some weird graphical glitches but those are rare and not all effecting my enjoyment.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Anyone get an Asus Strix 3080 order through on B&H?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Digital Foundry did an interesting video on Raytracing in CP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bqA8F6B6NQ

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Regrettable posted:

The game is very much NOT fine on PC. I’m like 60 hours in and honestly if it wasn’t for staggered quick/auto saves I would have bricked my save a dozen times by now. Calls/mission overlap, controls locking through dialogue, quest flags straight up not triggering basically locking quests from completion, combat UI bugging out and staying on the screen, weapon description glitching from existence, the map layer detaching from the map icon layer, and tons and tons of glitches around the world. Game runs well enough and loading times are negligent so poo poo’s easy to ignore but the idea that game is anywhere near Fine on PC is pretty loving funny.

This game is incredibly fun from a let’s break poo poo and become a god angle because the RPG portion is pretty hosed and unbalanced no matter what way you choose to play. I’m treating it as New Vegas 2.0 and basically looking past all the hosed up poo poo because the city is gorgeous and dicking around quick hacking people is fun every time.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 19, 2020

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

air- posted:

Anyone get an Asus Strix 3080 order through on B&H?
I had the opportunity. Was on the last click and decided I didn't want a 3080 OC for $850. Someone else wants it more.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

gary oldmans diary posted:

I had the opportunity. Was on the last click and decided I didn't want a 3080 OC for $850.

Also got to the last click and then end up with a timeout/empty cart - hearing the same for hundreds of others and I haven't seen a single confirmation

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The game’s pretty buggy even on PC and CDPR stated they’re releasing two major patches in January and February so I think they should have just delayed the launch.

I don’t think it’s a given that a open world game has to be as buggy as a Fallout 4 and W3 at launch. Hopefully Sony going nuclear on them gets developers to rethink launches.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That CP2077 is buggy surprises no one, I think, at least in this thread.

I also think the wailing and gnashing of teeth that happened the last time they delayed it probably pushed them to release it even earlier than the usual "let beta testers pre-order at a premium price" dynamic that seems to have become normalized in the industry.

That latter dynamic is something I'm not sure we'll see change since it is apparently still working, and the number of us who always wait for a game to be out for a while and go on sale before purchasing is probably a minority. Hell, now that I think of it, I guess letting people pay top dollar to be beta testers indirectly benefits me, since I get more polished games at a lower price that way.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

shrike82 posted:

The game’s pretty buggy even on PC and CDPR stated they’re releasing two major patches in January and February so I think they should have just delayed the launch.

I don’t think it’s a given that a open world game has to be as buggy as a Fallout 4 and W3 at launch. Hopefully Sony going nuclear on them gets developers corporate executives to rethink launches.

All the developers were pushing to delay the game as well but normal developers down on the food chain have no say if it should be released or not.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
you know the funny thing is up until launch i was sick of all the hype around it but i figured i'd pick it up just to check out the RT effects and i've got about 50 hours in so far, enjoying just wandering around and taking in the atmosphere of the city while doing side quests

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Zil posted:

I have a ASUS TUF 3070 that is still new in the box, but it's what I've been able to get. I've. Been trying to decide between going for a 3080 and returning/selling the 3070, or just using the 3070, but I feel like for my purposes, a 3070 Ti would be a nice sweet spot if it's real.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That CP2077 is buggy surprises no one, I think, at least in this thread.

I also think the wailing and gnashing of teeth that happened the last time they delayed it probably pushed them to release it even earlier than the usual "let beta testers pre-order at a premium price" dynamic that seems to have become normalized in the industry.

That latter dynamic is something I'm not sure we'll see change since it is apparently still working, and the number of us who always wait for a game to be out for a while and go on sale before purchasing is probably a minority. Hell, now that I think of it, I guess letting people pay top dollar to be beta testers indirectly benefits me, since I get more polished games at a lower price that way.

I have a feeling the CP2077 getting pushed out the door could also be due to investors demanding the game be out for the holiday shopping season and/or the execs at CDR made a lot of promises to the investors about the launch date that could get them in hot water if they failed to meet said promises.

As a general rule I always wait a month or two before buying any game. Especially open world games. Hopefully by March 3080s will actually be available and I can get one for CP2077.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Paul MaudDib posted:

ive seen the term a lot but havent really inferred - what is a blower?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Verviticus posted:

ive seen the term a lot but havent really inferred - what is a blower?

It's a cooler design that sucks air from inside the case and blows it out the PCI-E bay slots:

As opposed to open air coolers which blow air down onto the heatsink+PCB and exhausts it out everywhere, relying on the case to have good airflow:

Blowers tend to be louder and move less air, but they make sense in more constricted case designs. If you have a big case with a lot of fans you're better off with open air.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 20, 2020

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Regrettable posted:

I summoned my car and stood in the street waiting for it to stop and honk the horn. It ran me over and continued down the road. Had to run after it, only caught up because it stopped at a red light.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

it dont matter posted:

I summoned my car and stood in the street waiting for it to stop and honk the horn. It ran me over and continued down the road. Had to run after it, only caught up because it stopped at a red light.

It was in Uber mode and still on the way to pick up fares

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

shrike82 posted:

I don’t think it’s a given that a open world game has to be as buggy as a Fallout 4 and W3 at launch. Hopefully Sony going nuclear on them gets developers to rethink launches.

I don’t see the trend of launching half-finished games changing, unfortunately. ME:A or AC:U being loving train wrecks didn’t change anything previously, the same pressure to get it out the door and start making money will always exist.

To be very honest AAA gaming has kinda turned into a shitshow due to unethical publishers chasing the buck instead of focusing on putting out a fun game and letting profit stem from that. Everything is “live service”, everything is micro transactions, games are designed to be grindy so that you’ll buy micro transactions to make the pain go away (paying for a game and then paying not to play it).

And of course everything is launched half finished. The single player offline game segment is actually running well above the curve there, at least there studios understand they do have to actually have the game mostly finished before they can ship it. Maybe half of them actually ship in some kind of semi reasonable finished state where if you look at the rest of the market it’s probably less than 10% of games shipping reasonably finished.

Just look at all the big names that have flopped horribly in the last couple years - marvel avengers, battlefield V, anthem, ME:A, the new Ghost Recon, COD:Blackops Cold War, etc etc. And nothing has changed, nobody ever learned from those.

To be honest Titanfall 2, COD:MW, and maybe BF1 were the only recent multiplayer games that were reasonably complete. I seriously think it is like 10% of multiplayer games. And in contrast Hellblade was fine, Death Stranding was fine, Far Cry 5 was fine, Metro Exodus was fine, RDR2 had some bugs but was mostly fine, TLOU1/2 (ignoring whether you liked it, the game worked), Horizon Zero Dawn, etc etc. what’s the common thread? Single player, mostly-offline experiences. If you launch it half finished it’s immediately apparent, there’s nowhere to hide like you can with multiplayer and live-service content. And particularly console exclusives/ports seem to get it right a lot.

(Not that single player games are bulletproof of course, there’s still the No Man’s Sky and AC:U and ME:A and CP2077 and so on, it’s still maybe a 50% hit rate, but it is a lot better than in the rest of the market.)

The decline in AAA gaming makes me feel a little bad about wanting to dump $1000 into a 3080 Ti. Like, increasingly I just am paying less and less attention to AAA games, I don’t like where most of them are heading, and I spend a lot of time in games that are older and run reasonably well on most hardware. But then you get the Cyberpunks and the Witcher 3 RTX remaster that need some serious hardware to push.

(Sorry for the “old man yells at cloud” moment/thanks for coming to my TED talk)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 20, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

SCheeseman posted:

It's a cooler design that sucks air from inside the case and blows it out the PCI-E bay slots:

As opposed to open air coolers which blow air down onto the heatsink+PCB and exhausts it out everywhere, relying on the case to have good airflow:

Blowers tend to be louder and move less air, but they make sense in more constricted case designs. If you have a big case with a lot of fans you're better off with open air.

ahh cool thank you

shrike82 posted:

sony blowing up in a single instance isnt going to cause anyone else concern. as long as its easier for a studio to release a game a year earlier than it should have and make it up with post-launch patches than it is for them to do it 'correctly', these games are always going to launch this like

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I mean this isn't exactly new - didn't kotor 2 ship with 40% of the game missing to make Christmas?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Verviticus posted:

sony blowing up in a single instance isnt going to cause anyone else concern. as long as its easier for a studio to release a game a year earlier than it should have and make it up with post-launch patches than it is for them to do it 'correctly', these games are always going to launch this like

I’d actually go as far as to say that Sony wouldn’t have pulled it from the store if CDPR hadn’t asked them to do refunds. I read that as “if you think it’s bad enough that we need to be giving refunds then you aren’t going to sell it in the store at all” moment.

As others have said - not like they did this for No Man’s Sky or any of the other umpteen games that launched broken and premature. Releasing a buggy game, or one that is lame and fails to meet promises, or one that performs like poo poo on base tier hardware, isn’t sufficient to be kicked from the store.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 20, 2020

ufarn
May 30, 2009

VorpalFish posted:

I mean this isn't exactly new - didn't kotor 2 ship with 40% of the game missing to make Christmas?
That’s just the Obsidian way of doing things.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Verviticus posted:

ahh cool thank you

no, less cool :pseudo:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

The decline in AAA gaming makes me feel a little bad about wanting to dump $1000 into a 3080 Ti.

you just gotta get into flight sims man

they're absurdly expensive, always broken, and so poorly coded that they run like crap no matter how fancy a computer you have. it's great

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Chainclaw posted:

Does that version support mods? It's hard to play vanilla Minecraft, we usually play heavily modded.

bedrock version doesn't support it, but there's RT supporting shaders around, and honestly i think the modded ones are tuned better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qoPC6DyCSQ

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

you just gotta get into flight sims man

they're absurdly expensive, always broken, and so poorly coded that they run like crap no matter how fancy a computer you have. it's great
I just did a full rebuild and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 still destroys my frame rates on max. Looks completely photorealistic at times though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Paul MaudDib posted:

The decline in AAA gaming makes me feel a little bad about wanting to dump $1000 into a 3080 Ti. Like, increasingly I just am paying less and less attention to AAA games, I don’t like where most of them are heading, and I spend a lot of time in games that are older and run reasonably well on most hardware. But then you get the Cyberpunks and the Witcher 3 RTX remaster that need some serious hardware to push.

This is very much where I'm at. The money is trivial to me, but so much of the time I'm just asking myself why? When I look at the list of games I actually want to play, very few of them give me anything for a high-end GPU. The next published game I might actually want to play at release is Deathloop, and aside from that, there isn't a single game coming out in 2021 that I'm excited for (Hitman 3 doesn't count because I won't buy it on EGS).

The death of multiplayer FPSs is really what's done it for me more than anything else. I used to get into a game and buy a new system for it on a regular basis, now I just look at 5 minutes of gameplay of a multiplayer FPS and think "well that's obviously garbage". The industry just does not give a gently caress about making good games. AFAIK the majority of AAA budgets are advertising, it's literally about selling hype rather than a product. Thank gently caress for the indies. There are always a few out of nowhere small budget projects every year that really get me and make it clear to me that it's not me that's changed and lost my passion, it's the industry.