Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

They are going to try to make isekai fantasy harem anime mainstream

Reborn as the The Weakest Class "Monk," but I'll Prove it the Strongest... Wait, No, Nevermind it's Terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Die is fine but they really should just adapt his Darth Vader run. Best piece of Star Wars media and it isn't even close.

A Disney+ series starring Chloe Bennett as Dr. Aphra or nothing. :colbert:

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
She Kills Monster is an independent stage play about a woman who, after her family dies, seeks to learn more about her insular little sister by playing through the Dungeons and Dragons adventure she wrote. I say it at the Flea and was blown away.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Meinberg posted:

She Kills Monster is an independent stage play about a woman who, after her family dies, seeks to learn more about her insular little sister by playing through the Dungeons and Dragons adventure she wrote. I say it at the Flea and was blown away.

I haven't seen it, but I read the script. It's solid, heartfelt and authentic.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Meinberg posted:

gently caress this makes me wish I was still active in theater. I would be hammering doors in to try and stage this. (If/when it's safe, obviously.)

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

Meinberg posted:

Thank you so much for sharing this! I'm going to try to get ahold of this to read as soon as I can.

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling

Meinberg posted:

I saw a friend in a zoom production of this a few months ago, they did a cute bit by having a "stage hand" In a blacked out room wearing black gloves moving miniatures in dioramas for in game bits and made sure their costumes matched the minis.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Meinberg posted:

I had the good fortune to see a production of this a couple of years ago, and it was great! Really sincere, heartwarming, and funny. It was done in the round with hexagonal risers of "terrain tiles" in the center making up this cool multi-leveled fantasy stage, with some "real world" locations spread around the perimeter of the space.

They also had a good time poking fun at the monsters that show up in the adventure, like a Beholder that was a balloon with eyes drawn on it and some other stuff taped on. Really enhanced the suspension of disbelief that the protagonist was learning throughout the show.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 18, 2020

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
https://mobile.twitter.com/WeisMargaret/status/1340350657690292224

Dragonlance lawsuit dismissed without prejudice.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

That’s surprising. It looked like an open and shut case

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
"Without prejudice" means they're free to refile. Without prejudice often means that a case is missing a key pedantic component and the judge wants to allow it to be refiled, or more likely, a settlement was reached.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

CitizenKeen posted:

"Without prejudice" means they're free to refile. Without prejudice often means that a case is missing a key pedantic component and the judge wants to allow it to be refiled, or more likely, a settlement was reached.

Exactly. I would reckon that they reached a settlement, there's an NDA involved, and we'll hear more details about the forthcoming books.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I got my author lawsuits mixed up and thought that was news on Disney's "we bought the property without buying the obligation to pay royalties" shenanigans.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh no that case would be trending on Twitter in big numbers because of how far ranging it would be.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

thetoughestbean posted:

That’s surprising. It looked like an open and shut case

Given the tone of the Tweet, it sounds like WotC came to an agreement with Weis and co. with the licensing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It is 100% a settlement, yeah.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
An early and easy settlement is probably the best for everybody involved but I kinda hoped that WotC would be publicly shamed in court and then taken to the cleaners

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

thetoughestbean posted:

An early and easy settlement is probably the best for everybody involved but I kinda hoped that WotC would be publicly shamed in court and then taken to the cleaners

The worst that would have happened is some executive would just sigh and shrug a little as they wrote a check.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The worst that would have happened is some executive would just sigh and shrug a little as they wrote a check.

I also imagine that whomever in their GC office who has decided that failure to approve work isn't a constructive breach of contract has also gotten a talking to.

(See also Gale Force Nine's suit.)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

DIE would make a great TV series IMO

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

WotC is just a department of a much bigger, pissier machine, isn't it?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

WotC is just a department of a much bigger, pissier machine, isn't it?

Doesn't even matter. 99 percent of filed lawsuits resolve the exact same way, machine or delicate person or thing in-between.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Memnaelar posted:

Doesn't even matter. 99 percent of filed lawsuits resolve the exact same way, machine or delicate person or thing in-between.

Yep. Cheaper for everyone involved that way, mostly the filing is just a matter of 'no, we're serious'.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

DIE would make a great TV series IMO

Yeah, it'd be a fantastic limited series. Or even an anthology, with different groups getting pulled into different facets.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
This explains a lot
https://www.wired.com/story/dungeons-dragons-diversity/

Wired Article citing Orion Black posted:

“On a business level, Jeremy Crawford and Chris Perkins [D&D’s senior story designer] make all the decisions,” they say. “Those two praise this god of D&D, and the image they have of this god is very specific and they can not anger this god. Anything they can change, they have to work through their concept of faith and do some mental gymnastics.”
[...]
“They know that things in D&D, if you take them out of that specific context, are wrong,” they say. “But because it’s inside of D&D, they will not touch it. Because, in that world, that’s the way things are, and it has to be right because it’s the deity’s world.”

Those are two quotes that discuss rules aspects, but there's a lot more going on in the article. It's a great read.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

So I'm always three steps removed from discourse. Based on just insults and context clues, did Mercer... .tweet a fantasy scenario where magic cops from his D&D game would be helpful in ending the Capitol occupation?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

theironjef posted:

So I'm always three steps removed from discourse. Based on just insults and context clues, did Mercer... .tweet a fantasy scenario where magic cops from his D&D game would be helpful in ending the Capitol occupation?

https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1347357973379567617

Sure seems like it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lmao that sure is dumb of him.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

It is very much like the first ten minutes of a movie about a character that needs to learn to live in reality. Except those movies usually star children.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

https://twitter.com/TheDovetailor/status/1348082068434034689

I'm not very familiar with Pandey but signal-boosting.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Hostile V posted:

https://twitter.com/TheDovetailor/status/1348082068434034689

I'm not very familiar with Pandey but signal-boosting.

This Pammu person is using some very harsh language and denouncing Ajey Pandey over some very minor things. To wit, the specific things Pandey is accused of:
  • Mentioning the name of an abuser to one of Pammu's Twitter mutuals
  • Performatively apologizing without consent for the above
  • Behaviour towards a different person, Daniel Kwan

These are the specific things Pammu here are using to show that Ajey Pandey "engaged in harmful & triggering behaviour". The first two are not really bad behaviour in any way in my eyes, and the third is horribly unspecific. It could be weeks of abuse, it could be a single instance of rudeness.

Which makes a Twitter denounciation thread seem a bit excessive. Like usually when someone's done something bad you lead with how they made you watch while they kicked your puppy, not how they talked to one of your acquaintances about a puppy-kicker's work in flower arranging. In fact, the omission of anything substantial makes this seem like an attempt to get Ajey Pandey cancelled by using very harsh language to imply that he's an emotional abuser when he's actually not done anything.

So honestly I'd recommend holding off on signal-boosting anything until there's any evidence Ajey Pandey did more than write a tweet mentioning an abuser in a reply to someone Pammu follows on Twitter and then not apologize in the way Pammu wanted.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...
Ajey also made an apology thread that mentions some of that a few months ago.

https://twitter.com/AjeyPandey/status/1330241992203309065

He deleted a post specifically talking about Pammu after she protested that he didn't talk to/apologize directly to her first.

I recall that, after saying he was going to stop aggressively self-promoting and reviewing other people's work for a while, he started doing so again the same day. (When people pointed it out, he deleted that too.)

Disclaimer: This is just some additional information related to the above, and not me saying Ajey has done anything particularly terrible or that he should be cancelled or anything. I do not know or follow anybody involved in this drama, just saw a bunch of other people talking about it when it came up back then.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LatwPIAT posted:

This Pammu person is using some very harsh language and denouncing Ajey Pandey over some very minor things. To wit, the specific things Pandey is accused of:
  • Mentioning the name of an abuser to one of Pammu's Twitter mutuals
  • Performatively apologizing without consent for the above
  • Behaviour towards a different person, Daniel Kwan
It's not in the initial post, but someone said something about being obnoxious in a Discord.

I used to say that a big problem in the RPG business is people refusing to name names. Now people arenaming names, but more often than not, I have to play Internet Detective to get to the bottom of the controversy.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 10, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Halloween Jack posted:

It's not in the initial post, but someone said something about being obnoxious in a Discord.

I used to say that a big problem in the RPG business is people refusing to name names. Now people arenaming names, but more often than not, I have to play Internet Detective to get to the bottom of the controversy.

Yep. Please name names if someone is a problem, but also name the actual problem, not just skating around it, especially if you're going to disable most people's replies so no one can actually clarify what you're even talking about.

Holding off on making a judgment on this one but it ain't a promising opening.

e: also, can I get one thing clarified real quick on their chain? I get content warnings and appreciate them when they're present, but is there really much of a point to "CW: Ben Flowers" when the entirety of the relevant content is just saying the name again? You put the entirety of the content you're warning about in the content warning...

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 10, 2021

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I think that's part of the Pandey apology thread, he was promoted to a mod in Kwan's Asians Represent discord and was somehow so bad at it that it required a public apology(which honestly sounds like an interesting story).

theironjef fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 10, 2021

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

SkyeAuroline posted:

e: also, can I get one thing clarified real quick on their chain? I get content warnings and appreciate them when they're present, but is there really much of a point to "CW: Ben Flowers" when the entirety of the relevant content is just saying the name again? You put the entirety of the content you're warning about in the content warning...

Content warnings on Twitter are almost wholly useless in general, to be honest -- tweets are so short that by the time my brain has processed the warning my eyes have already taken in the rest of the tweet. They're even less useful on image posts.

The Mastodon solution (which I think involves hiding CWed content behind spoiler bars) would be much better.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

potatocubed posted:

Content warnings on Twitter are almost wholly useless in general, to be honest -- tweets are so short that by the time my brain has processed the warning my eyes have already taken in the rest of the tweet. They're even less useful on image posts.

The Mastodon solution (which I think involves hiding CWed content behind spoiler bars) would be much better.

Sure, I mostly only find them useful on long threads or whatnot (but I also follow people who do those, which isn't the majority). Just trying to figure out why a CW as long as the content is an idea at all, let alone a good one.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It presumably involved discussing the actually triggering events in greater, explanatory detail for people who were not originally involved. Like, putting up a content warning of Zack S. before going into the litany of triggering ways he loving sucks.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

It presumably involved discussing the actually triggering events in greater, explanatory detail for people who were not originally involved. Like, putting up a content warning of Zack S. before going into the litany of triggering ways he loving sucks.

quote:

CW // Ben Flowers

The biggest offense Ajey commited was deliberately mentioning, to a mutual, how he wanted to "steal Ben Flowers' aesthetic" for himself for a game he was designing, knowing full well that Sin and I are primary victims of this abuser.

There's not really further details on the abuses of Ben Flowers. It's literally a "Watch out, I'm about to mention a name, here is that name, here it is again" usage.

My best guess is that it's to head off twitter wags saying "Well you are also saying it."

Or, less disingenuously, it's just that she is very committed to safety-based discourse and not as bothered with concerns about if it makes linguistic sense on a case by case basis.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

potatocubed posted:

For what it's worth, you can mute terms on Twitter, so to a certain degree Content Warnings could be used to just prevent you from seeing those tweets at all. Like if a rape victim wanted to just mute the words/phrases "rape", "sexual assault," etc.