Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Party Boat posted:

No, to the contrary

The final clause in the sentence is treating someone you live with as equivalent to someone you're in a support bubble with, which is the whole point of them. If it was the way you're interpreting it, it would be worded:

This includes staying in a second home or caravan, staying with anyone you do not live with, or staying with anyone you are in a support bubble with

Eh...no it says those things aren't allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think we're getting to the root of the problem with these nonsensical rules.

I can't believe how many times these things have been tweaked and changed in the last year. Remember that second lockdown? Or the original tier system?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Eh...no it says those things aren't allowed.

Yes, it's saying you're not allowed to stay with anyone that you do not "live with or are in a support bubble with"

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The point of a support bubble is that single people can be "added" to another household for the purpose of anti-household mixing laws. So anything you could do with people you live with, you could do with someone in a support bubble.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

This is why most gov.uk guidance takes the form of bullet pointed lists

MagicalCarp
Jan 19, 2008

A Well Respected Fish

stev posted:

I can't believe how many times these things have been tweaked and changed in the last year. Remember that second lockdown? Or the original tier system?

Remember the Five Tests? :allears:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

stev posted:

Track and Trace? Remember how it was best in the world too.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

MagicalCarp posted:

Remember the Five Tests? :allears:

The jokes about the Tories adopting the Five Pillars and banning alcohol sales meaning they'd converted to Islam were pretty funny tbf.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It's been nothing but half measures since the initial lockdown and it's turning into a boy called wolf situation for a lot of people, even though there is definitely a wolf and it has eaten a significant number of people in plain sight. I am bad at analogies but hope this makes sense in some way

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
A huge part of the confusion is that Boris et al announce all sorts but then never make them law, case in point being the "you can't go from tier 3 to a lower tier" rule, which was announced but never put into the regulations. They did this constantly, another one being the single hour of exercise in the first lockdown, it was reported everywhere but was never a legal thing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Then Cummings decided to test his eye sight by driving 200 miles to a tourist attraction.
Which was fine by Boris.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The law is only that which is willing to be enforced, until challenged, in which case the law is only that which can be successfully challenged.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If you accept the premise that the government has been treating this as a PR problem, then their contact tracing effort makes a lot more sense.

It allowed them to funnel money to Serco and pals (again) while giving them a source of statistical data that they could use at a time when people were starting to realise that maybe keeping open plan offices, meat packing plants, and other high density workplaces open was a bad idea. "Our contact tracers have found that most transmission occurs in [place we were going to close anyway] and a negligible amount in workplaces."

It won't surprise me in the slightest if at some point in the future we find that there was an internal policy to avoid tracing workplace contacts, because they're already covered by the "if someone you work with tests positive then self isolate" rules.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Convex posted:

It's been nothing but half measures since the initial lockdown and it's turning into a boy called wolf situation for a lot of people, even though there is definitely a wolf and it has eaten a significant number of people in plain sight. I am bad at analogies but hope this makes sense in some way

The wolf is now having cubs, who are even better at catching people in the South East.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Lungboy posted:

A huge part of the confusion is that Boris et al announce all sorts but then never make them law, case in point being the "you can't go from tier 3 to a lower tier" rule, which was announced but never put into the regulations. They did this constantly, another one being the single hour of exercise in the first lockdown, it was reported everywhere but was never a legal thing.

Eh, the difference between guidance and law is kind of iffy because enforcement of the written law is always down to the polices judgement. In most cases if the filth come and break up your gathering you aren't going to win the argument on the day or risk getting done for assault over it if the copper really deserves it. The only distinction is if they issue a fine or something and you take it to court and that's probably well within their remit.

It is important to see the difference but it makes almost no difference day to day.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
New thread title :discourse:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Question for the thread : if a neighbour or whatever is breaking the rules, is it OK to shop them to the pigs (note: I live in a very white area)?

Today alone I saw two houses on my street with a whole bunch of people who don't live there going in, laden down with presents and such. And I'm not like, sat by the window twitching my curtains, this is just me happening to notice.

Ordinarily I'd find this kind of snitching abhorrent, but otoh I feel like now we're in tier 4 there is literally no excuse for getting it wrong, people like this ARE spreading the virus and killing more people, and, more pettily, it loving sucks to be dutifully following the rules when your neighbours dgaf.

I am torn.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

Question for the thread : if a neighbour or whatever is breaking the rules, is it OK to shop them to the pigs (note: I live in a very white area)?

Today alone I saw two houses on my street with a whole bunch of people who don't live there going in, laden down with presents and such. And I'm not like, sat by the window twitching my curtains, this is just me happening to notice.

Ordinarily I'd find this kind of snitching abhorrent, but otoh I feel like now we're in tier 4 there is literally no excuse for getting it wrong, people like this ARE spreading the virus and killing more people, and, more pettily, it loving sucks to be dutifully following the rules when your neighbours dgaf.

I am torn.

My student neighbours had a big party last Friday and I had that same dilemma. I decided to ignore it and found out during the week that two of them had symptoms the day after and everyone at the party is now isolating and couldn’t travel home for Christmas during the week, lol

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

I am torn.

There's no good answer here. If you know the households beforehand and could talk to them about their rule breaking in a way that they'll respect and listen then that's the place to start but it won't guarantee they do anything differently. If you don't know them and show up on the doorstep then you'll most likely get a hostile if not violent reaction because you've just barged into their lives. Escalating it to the cops is even worse because the cops won't really do anything unless they want to hassle the household anyway and that's enabling systemic oppression.

The entire system is broken. Really the only solution is uniting your street into a revolutionary unit to overthrow capitalism.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The point of a support bubble is that single people can be "added" to another household for the purpose of anti-household mixing laws. So anything you could do with people you live with, you could do with someone in a support bubble.
It also says at multiple points that the rules for support bubbles are different to standard tier advice, and the support bubble advice doesn't say you can't. It also says the following:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/making-a-support-bubble-with-another-household

gov.uk posted:

A support bubble is a support network which links 2 households. You have to meet certain eligibility rules to form a support bubble. This means not everyone will be able to form a support bubble.

Once you’re in a support bubble, you can think of yourself as being in one ‘household’. It means you can have close contact with the other household in your bubble as if they were members of your own household. This means you do not need to maintain social distance with people in your support bubble.

You should continue to follow social distancing guidance with people outside of your household or support bubble. This is critical to keeping you, your family and friends as safe as possible.

If you form a support bubble, it is best if this is with a household who live locally. This will help prevent the virus spreading from an area where more people are infected.
Although I freely admit that this kind of rules lawyering is pointless because fundementally most people don't understand or care about the finer legal points of bubbles, they just want to use it as a general catchall for 'but I want to see them.'

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Convex posted:

Boy: "there's a wolf out there but bringing all the sheep in would be devastating for the sheep industry, so instead I'm going to recommend bringing the sheep in if you can but don't actually"

*sheep die in droves*

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Boy: "there's a wolf out there but bringing all the sheep in would be devastating for the sheep industry, so instead I'm going to recommend bringing the sheep in if you can but don't actually"

*sheep die in droves*

Also boy: What the gently caress? The sheep are all dead now because of you.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

My wife did literally have to call the police today because of a belligerent customer, it took her 25 minutes before they even answered, and they said they wouldn't be turning up because her workplace was closing 20 minutes after they did get through. So don't stress too much about dobbing people in cos the pigs are probably too busy for such frivolity anyway.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Calling the police is a tough one. Ordinarily I'd say no, but this is such an unusual situation and people breaking these rules are part of the reason we're in the mess we are right now so I lean towards saying yes, but only if there's loads of them doing it. If they were only putting themselves at risk then it's not nearly such a big deal but they aren't.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Checked his timeline and sadly he hadn't tweeted about Gove being a Jabroni as far as I could see

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I am torn.

what tier of oval office are they - this is important information on whether to tout

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
why not just go out and gulder at them and threaten to do their windas if they don't gently caress up

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
common decency imo

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The reason we are in this mess is not individual behavior, and that entire individualistic mindset that Bad Things happen because of Bad People is what right-wingers thrive off. The reason we are in this mess is the government has repeatedly failed to systematically manage this pandemic and destroyed, defunded, and dismissed the institutions that are supposed to protect against these things. Rage against the individual is a pointless directin of from the rage against the person responsible for this mess - Boris Johnson.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Of course I sympathise with everyone struggling to make Christmas plans right now, but you're far more likely to get a clear answer from poking at some sheep intestines than from the government's guidelines.

It is a waste of time trying to work out what you should or shouldn't be doing this way.

The readers of this thread are smart, sensible, and not to mention, extremely good-looking. Use your common sense instead.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Don't call the police on your neighbours unless they're being violent or sex trafficking or something.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

stev posted:

Don't call the police on your neighbours unless they're being violent or sex trafficking or something.

Yeah, don’t call the pigs.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Wow its like we're rebelling but we don't have to do anything

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
This thread is great, is there a thread just for Brexit or is this pretty much it? And yes I looked:)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
oh yay the return of the brexit rubberneckers OH HEY IS SOMETHING HAPPENING ARE PEOPLE DYING YET IS IT REALLY BAD

ARE THERE PEOPLE SUFFERING

ARE THEY GOING ALL LIKE EEEEEEEUUUUUUUUURRRRRRGH HELP like that

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

crispix posted:

oh yay the return of the brexit rubberneckers OH HEY IS SOMETHING HAPPENING ARE PEOPLE DYING YET IS IT REALLY BAD

ARE THERE PEOPLE SUFFERING

ARE THEY GOING ALL LIKE EEEEEEEUUUUUUUUURRRRRRGH HELP like that

I'm a British rail rubbber necker

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

This thread is great, is there a thread just for Brexit or is this pretty much it? And yes I looked:)

There's one in CSPAM that is essentially a viewing area for American leftists to have a giggle at poor people suffering. Depends what you're after.

I assume there will be a GBS thread when the first food riots start.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Yeah some rubbernecking but also I like when posters can post multiple things and compare it with what is going on or post things from other sources.

I used to live in England and it bums me out that Brexit is happening so I am just trying to pay attention.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
you didn't live in England for very long if you go around saying things bummed you out, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I'm lurking the thread as I'm a Brit who is now Australian but my family all live in the UK and this thread gives a wider perspective than they have on the situation.