Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

hatty posted:

There’s no gyro apparently if that’s a dealbreaker

If you’re crazy like me you can have a normal joycon attached on the left side, that gets you gyro support w/ a good right stick with the Hori. Great for FPSers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Nope I'm just a short dude. I wouldn't expect the four inches or so that make average height, 5'7 or something right?, would make people's hands immediately unwieldy.

If 5'7 is average, that means that half of all people are taller than that so it's probably not just 4 inches. Fwiw I'm 5'7 and feel much shorter than average compared to your average white dude but right in the middle amongst Hispanics so I bet that average accounts for ethnicities that are shorter across the board

Then there's the topic of is there a correlation between hand size and height? Probably but I have no idea

Man my switch thread posts keep getting weirder and weirder

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 19, 2020

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

KingSlime posted:

If 5'7 is average, that means that half of all people are taller than that so it's probably not just 4 inches. Fwiw I'm 5'7 and feel much shorter than average compared to your average white dude but right in the middle amongst Hispanics so I bet that average accounts for ethnicities that are shorter across the board

Then there's the topic of is there a correlation between hand size and height? Probably but I have no idea

Man my switch thread posts keep getting weirder and weirder

I'm 4'11 and have tiny hands.

FF6 chat: When I first played the SNES version, I thought Terra was this badass magical spy girl who captured by the Empire after a long fight. I got it half right I guess

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

5' 7" is the global average. In the US average male height is 5' 9".

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I aced most of my spelling/vocab tests all through grade school. I attribute most of my success to playing JRPGs and PC RPGs. FF6, 7, 8, Chrono trigger, Diablo 1/2, Fallouts, and many more games I'm probably forgetting all gave me context with which to instantly remember definitions.

Video games made me smart regardless of how poorly they told their stories.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
For sure, for me video games helped me understand that my family kept making poor financial/strategic decisions. I always tell my brothers okay turn this scenario into a video game, what steps would you take to protect your character and/or his assets. They then proceed to call me a dumb sci fi nerd, steal my 3ds stylus and snap it in half, punch me in the stomach, and do the absolute worst possible thing as they sink themselves and their loved ones further into debt

actually this might not have anything to do with video games and my family is just stupid. But yeah video games definitely create all sorts of neural connections and expose you to different ways of thinking/reacting. Only downside is gaming seems to turn a lot of people into little nazi bastards but that is less the games themselves and more the communities

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 19, 2020

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The Kingfish posted:

Exited to pick up Hades tonight. Looks real fun.

Poque posted:

I've dropped like 80 hours on it in 2.5 weeks, it's real good

trip report: Hades is very good. Accidentally stayed up playing till almost 4:00

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Immortals Phoenix Rising is down to $40 at Walmart plus apparently 5% bonus points back for some chase credit cards? I dunno I'm not interested in the game but some people need a novel BOTW-alike fix.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

The Kingfish posted:

trip report: Hades is very good. Accidentally stayed up playing till almost 4:00

I finally booted up another game after 9 days. It's loving crack. I love it. I tried bastion and didn't hate it but wasn't in love with it. I'm worried about the face buttons on my lite tbh

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Is there gyro in both? I thought itmwas just the right side for some reason.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Both joycons have gyro, but only the right one has the IR sensor.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ragequit posted:

I should have linked the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCeN2KjRHZk

It's a 13-part series of videos, ranging from 10-60 minutes each.
been watching it and uh, yeah..... yeah that makes a pretty big difference doesn't it :v:

i've only played to the end of disc 1 and didn't feel like playing any more because the last bits (especially the temple of the ancients) had so much nonsense dialogue, so it's neat that these videos go up to that point. it has cleared up some stuff that really annoyed me

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

video games are good

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Tenik posted:

The issue is the mushiness of the dpad makes it easy for people to accidently press diagonals. I don't have any issue with it either, because I return my thumb to the center of the dpad before I change my direction with a precise press on the edge, but my friend who rolls his thumb around on the pad has a ton of issues with it. He has also has some issues with his wrist/thumb because he is constantly pushing down on the pad.

I easily get diagonals when I’m holding an orthogonal directly. Happens all the time in picross, causing mario to slap my hand and penalize my time

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
:toot:

Sent a left joycon to Nintendo's Syracuse repair facility on the 9th. It was repaired and this afternoon delivered to my house. Pretty impressive turn around for pandemic + mail system fuckery + holidays.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Chronojam posted:

Immortals Phoenix Rising is down to $40 at Walmart

...and amazon and best buy

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Chronojam posted:

Immortals Phoenix Rising is down to $40 at Walmart plus apparently 5% bonus points back for some chase credit cards? I dunno I'm not interested in the game but some people need a novel BOTW-alike fix.

Is Immortals a good BOTW knock-off or a mediocre one

debating between this and Pokemon

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 19, 2020

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

bull3964 posted:

5' 7" is the global average. In the US average male height is 5' 9".

Good thing the Switch was released globally and not exclusively in the US then.

But really, if the console's not comfortable for you whatever size you may be I'm glad that alternatives exist to enjoy this delightful system.

I just wrapped Wandersong. Just a touch too much dialogue at times, but otherwise excellent. I really liked the platform puzzles they were rather well implemented.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wildtortilla posted:

:toot:

Sent a left joycon to Nintendo's Syracuse repair facility on the 9th. It was repaired and this afternoon delivered to my house. Pretty impressive turn around for pandemic + mail system fuckery + holidays.

They shipped mine UPS, I'm half expecting them to mangle my box and blame me for improper shipping. Fuckers.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

We're gonna need somebody to try it out and report back

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

KingSlime posted:

For sure, for me video games helped me understand that my family kept making poor financial/strategic decisions. I always tell my brothers okay turn this scenario into a video game, what steps would you take to protect your character and/or his assets. They then proceed to call me a dumb sci fi nerd, steal my 3ds stylus and snap it in half, punch me in the stomach, and do the absolute worst possible thing as they sink themselves and their loved ones further into debt

actually this might not have anything to do with video games and my family is just stupid. But yeah video games definitely create all sorts of neural connections and expose you to different ways of thinking/reacting. Only downside is gaming seems to turn a lot of people into little nazi bastards but that is less the games themselves and more the communities

Sorry about your stupid family and your broken 3DS stylus.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Chronojam posted:

We're gonna need somebody to try it out and report back

if anyone actually buys it they might not put any more discounts on it so its probably best we just forget about it for a year and then give it a go

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hedrigall posted:

You .................. don’t have to get the adventure time pack

Like, it’s your option as a consumer

Anyway game is fine. It’s a little rote tbh. Discovering stuff doesn’t feel quite so cool and rewarding as BOTW. The game world just feels like a big explorable 3D checklist.

There’s only like 7 different overworld enemies that are repeated a bunch. Granted that may be because I haven’t explored beyond the south west quarter of the isle yet :shrug:

I got to the first major dungeon and was a bit disappointed to find the theme, tile set etc to be the same as the vaults (shrines), just longer

Upgrading my character’s gear and moves and stuff is still fun though. It’s just a bit repetitive to get all the resources to be able to do that. You just do the same 5 or 6 kinds of overworld puzzles over and over and do a bunch of vaults (which are admittedly about as diverse and interesting in terms of puzzles as BOTW’s shrines could be, so far anyway)

Tbh with so many games on my backlist (Luigi’s Mansion 3 was going to be next before I decided to grab this) I’m not sure I’ll see this one through to the end. I’ll keep playing until I’ve stopped having fun, then I’ll move on

But they could literally be talking about BotW

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ragequit posted:

Weren’t FF6 and FF7 each translated to English by one person? I know Ted Woolsey did FF6 but I think a single Square Enix employee did FF7. I can forgive a lot of faults because that is an insane amount of work for one person.

Tim alleges something like that for FF7. It's in one of the first couple videos, around when Cloud meets Sephiroth in the Cave of the Ancients. Apparently one person had under a month to translate the entire script to meet the US release date.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

debating between this and Pokemon
I am enjoying it a lot. I like the Greek myth theme and there's a lot of finding stuff and puzzles, which I enjoy except the 'move tiles to make a picture' ones. The map is large and there's plenty to discover. The narrators kind of start talking out of nowhere pretty often and that can get distracting, but I don't really mind that too much. Combat has a lot of levels to it, I think.

I don't know what makes this kind of game good vs mediocre, but I like it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Why is everything so expensive in BotW?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Len posted:

Why is everything so expensive in BotW?

One of the complaints about past Zelda games is that there's nothing to blow your rupees on and BotW has a lot of rupees.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

One of the complaints about past Zelda games is that there's nothing to blow your rupees on and BotW has a lot of rupees.

I'm probably playing wrong because were it not for snowball bowling I wouldn't have the 6k needed to buy the ancient armor set

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just beat Super Mario Sunshine.

Jesus Christ, what were the reviewers smoking when reviewing this game? The controls and game design is just straight up broken at times. It makes "Spring Mario" from Galaxy play like a dream.

I don't like to "score" games but if I had to give Sunshine a score it would 5 out of 10 tops.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Just finished acension 20 on slay the spire on all characters and now I need a new comfort game to play. Any suggestions?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just beat Super Mario Sunshine.

Jesus Christ, what were the reviewers smoking when reviewing this game? The controls and game design is just straight up broken at times. It makes "Spring Mario" from Galaxy play like a dream.

I don't like to "score" games but if I had to give Sunshine a score it would 5 out of 10 tops.

It was a dark time, and for some, bad Mario was better than no Mario.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

It makes "Spring Mario" from Galaxy play like a dream.

Oh my gently caress, I think I suppressed the memory of those levels.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Len posted:

I'm probably playing wrong because were it not for snowball bowling I wouldn't have the 6k needed to buy the ancient armor set

A lot of people recommended snowball bowling to me as a money making thing and even once I got the hang of it and didn't flub shots it seemed way more profitable by the time I got access to the northwest of the map to just grab a horse, go hunting the gourmet and premium meat around there and then just sell that cooked x5 en masse

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

I miss the days we could have nightly rooftop parties.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
gently caress i havent played botw in like 3 years i think its time again

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

this may be obvious but you can sell gems for $$$$

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Haven't seen merchants yet, I'm still stuck on the starting plateau.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Gyshall posted:

Just finished acension 20 on slay the spire on all characters and now I need a new comfort game to play. Any suggestions?

People say that Dicey Dungeon has a similar feel to it. Isn't Monster Train or whatever coming out? It's the Deck-building game atm.

Maybe the Steamworld Deckbuilder? I don't care for the genre but Steamworld is quality.

If you just need a feel-good comfort game the messages in A Short Hike, Wandersong, and Celeste are all rather uplifting.

If you just want to zone out and chill Picross or Voxelgrams.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

b_d posted:

this may be obvious but you can sell gems for $$$$

But what if I need them for something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
What's the uplifting message of Celeste? "You can always turn on handicaps"?