Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i always assume that means i was in with a group of 3 who couldnt commend anyone else

comm-bombing people in trial/raid roulette with a mostly-premade group is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

A Moose posted:

I just started playing again after being away for like, 6 months. I'm mostly sticking with crafting right now, and I have a couple of questions. If I want to just craft whatever the highest tier of crafting gear is, should I just buy a set of the handsaint gear?

Also, when I'm gathering from a legendary node, I have a 0% chance for HQ, so I checked my Preparation skill, and it says I should be able to get HQ with 1400something Perception. I have over 2k perception, why can't I get HQ stuff? I've also noticed that when I use skills to raise my chance of gathering, they're only half as effective. Is that just how legendary nodes are? The nodes I was gathering from are Duskbloom and Solstice stones, so I think its the materials for the latest tier.

the new legendary gathering nodes require 2404 perception to be able to gather high quality. duskbloom is an old node and requires 1440 so you should be able to get hq there if you dont use pick clean or something.

the new scrip crafting set doesnt look terrible. you could probably craft aesthetes with it with enough hq mats. tally up the stats and play around in teamcraft and see what you can do.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

A Moose posted:

I just started playing again after being away for like, 6 months. I'm mostly sticking with crafting right now, and I have a couple of questions. If I want to just craft whatever the highest tier of crafting gear is, should I just buy a set of the handsaint gear?

Also, when I'm gathering from a legendary node, I have a 0% chance for HQ, so I checked my Preparation skill, and it says I should be able to get HQ with 1400something Perception. I have over 2k perception, why can't I get HQ stuff? I've also noticed that when I use skills to raise my chance of gathering, they're only half as effective. Is that just how legendary nodes are? The nodes I was gathering from are Duskbloom and Solstice stones, so I think its the materials for the latest tier.

If you're not interested in melding the Hand/Landsaint gear is better than Aesthete's. Aesthete's is slightly better with even the two 100% odds materia slots melded and way better overmelded though. Also I think legendary nodes have modifiers where if your Perception or Gathering are beneath a certain threshold your HQ chance is set to 0; If you're not hitting a 100% chance to get items from the nodes your stats are probably too low.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Awesome! posted:

the new scrip crafting set doesnt look terrible. you could probably craft aesthetes with it with enough hq mats. tally up the stats and play around in teamcraft and see what you can do.

It's definitely possible to do Aesthete's with the full scrip set. I was even able to do Exarchic stuff with the addition of a pentamelded Aesthete's Belt + Ring, but it requires full HQ mats and a bit of prayer that your 98% quality'll turn out HQ.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So hit 50 with DRK. That was a good job quest. That said, probably going to take a break and revisit the rest of it later.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

OddObserver posted:

My secret to getting commendations is to be slow to leave.

This.

Alternatively, run a bunch of guildhest roulette as tank. You queue fast, they take a minute or two, and you usually get three comms.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

wow, it looks like Facet gear is basically free now, other than the sublime solutions. I wonder if its faster to finish up my facet set and meld it, than it is to grind out white scrip to buy professionals/handsaint and craft aesthete's.

I'll have to look into getting a relic too, but it looks like it might be doable in facet gear

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Rejoice!

There's a plugin coming soon to turn everyone into a Lala

(except for people with the Legend title, those are the poop mud blobs in that picture)

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I've been opening every roulette I do with a /laliho for a long while now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

GuyUpNorth posted:

Eureka discord is apparently still organizing Castrum Licorice runs so lurking there for announcements could be worth.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don't commend anyone who doesn't /laliho Giott in Heroes' Gauntlet.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Castrum Lacus Litore sadly suffers from exactly what I guessed Bozja would suffer from: to do it, there NEEDS to be zone activity that you can't always count on.

The rest of Bozja handles mostly through being a Deep Dungeon equivalent, there's at least always people there. But the Castrum's rewards just aren't enough, especially with the biggest pressure point being right at the start; you can't even do an equivalent of BA frag runs, because if there's any part that'll get you, it's the very first boss(es).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't commend anyone who doesn't /laliho Giott in Heroes' Gauntlet.

drat, and here I've just been /pet-ing the amaro!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I "/respect" on each of the platforms in E12

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i get commendations every time i type 'no items, pope only, final destination' in the knights of the round fight during the phase change

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Cleretic posted:

Castrum Lacus Litore sadly suffers from exactly what I guessed Bozja would suffer from: to do it, there NEEDS to be zone activity that you can't always count on.

The rest of Bozja handles mostly through being a Deep Dungeon equivalent, there's at least always people there. But the Castrum's rewards just aren't enough, especially with the biggest pressure point being right at the start; you can't even do an equivalent of BA frag runs, because if there's any part that'll get you, it's the very first boss(es).

It absolutely doesn't help that they removed the only real reason to do Castrum, which was the coins. No one gives a poo poo about the lost skill fragments you get because you'll have more then you ever need after a handful of clears, and the augment items were so rare as to be effectively nonexistent. Doubly so now, since there isn't even a stable population running Castrum so that you can fail to get augment drops from what must be a 1-5% drop rate at best.

Adding coins to skirmishes and CEs killed the entire point of the capstone raid and was incredibly stupid. It's going to really suck when we get to the next Bozja area and a bunch of people will be stuck waiting for a Castrum to spawn, fill, and actually complete. I'm hoping they know better in subsequent tiers.

And to hedge against in case they don't I'm definitely going to be grinding out the next Bojza in the first week or two.

E: Thinking about it a little more adding the coins to normal Bozja content was probably a response to how SoFro was ending up in weeks 2-3, which was hordes of wandering nomads moving from instance to instance looking for Castrum runs because that was the only thing worth doing, with skirmishes and CEs starting to become ignored. They effectively traded one kind of dead content for another, when the answer is probably to put unique, valuable things in both halves.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 20, 2020

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The current Bozja situation is unfortunate, but they'll rework to make it viable with less than full instances (see: Eureka).

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Managed to get in one with 31 people this afternoon. We wiped twice on the first boss and got kicked out due to the timer...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Meiteron posted:

It absolutely doesn't help that they removed the only real reason to do Castrum, which was the coins. No one gives a poo poo about the lost skill fragments you get because you'll have more then you ever need after a handful of clears, and the augment items were so rare as to be effectively nonexistent. Doubly so now, since there isn't even a stable population running Castrum so that you can fail to get augment drops from what must be a 1-5% drop rate at best.

Adding coins to skirmishes and CEs killed the entire point of the capstone raid and was incredibly stupid. It's going to really suck when we get to the next Bozja area and a bunch of people will be stuck waiting for a Castrum to spawn, fill, and actually complete. I'm hoping they know better in subsequent tiers.

And to hedge against in case they don't I'm definitely going to be grinding out the next Bojza in the first week or two.

E: Thinking about it a little more adding the coins to normal Bozja content was probably a response to how SoFro was ending up in weeks 2-3, which was hordes of wandering nomads moving from instance to instance looking for Castrum runs because that was the only thing worth doing, with skirmishes and CEs starting to become ignored. They effectively traded one kind of dead content for another, when the answer is probably to put unique, valuable things in both halves.

I do think it was right to add coins to skirmishes and CEs to avoid exactly that problem you mention in your edit. But in the process they also needed to add additional rewards to the Castrum; not unique rewards, just enough that it's no longer a minus to people who have already done it. Make it give good XP/tomestones, to really invest the 'Deep Dungeon replacement' audience.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

they should've made an upgrade piece guaranteed at 6 prisoners is my take

but also move the prisoner chests behind the last boss

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

If I were to redo the current system, I'd make it so that skirmishes and CEs went towards filling up some kind of "Preparedness" meter that unlocked access to the Castrum after it was filled. You could track individual contributions to Preparedness and increase the reward for completing Castrum based on that, so you'd give people a strong incentive to both do skirmishes/CEs and stick around in a single instance instead of instance hopping.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

dangit i was probably gonna get to bozja some time this week and now its all messed up?

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Nah, just the dungeon part of it. The remaining 80-90% is still fine. As for the castrum the problem was really something they made right from the start by reducing the playercount compared to eureka, if it had even 24 more players per instance it probably would have helped a lot to avoid the whole waiting for the dungeon problem.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
There are 3 main problems with CLL
1)It spawns on a timer but nothing prevents Critical Engagements from spawning before it comes up. So half the instance could be stuck fighting a robot fox for the entirety of the queue timer.
2)The rewards aren't worth it. Some of the abilities you can get are worthwhile, but they're just slightly better versions of the bread and butter engrams you can get from mettle 3 mobs(they'll definitely be in demand once not-BA gets patched in I'm sure). The only other thing you can get are coins and there are now much more efficient ways to get those. You don't even get mettle on a win. You get treasure chests for sure but the variance on Bozja chests is hilariously huge. The cheapest thing you got out of eureka boxes were mats for XP Potions. And you got a *lot* of chests in eureka. In bozja you get one for a CE and it's probably a purple star you can sell for one gil.
3)You still lose mettle for dying in there, and you lose a lot if there's a wipe. So people are hesitant to join and encouraged to drop out if you aren't basically full and guaranteed a completion.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Meiteron posted:

They don't even need to do that much, make castrum give 100 coins instead of 20, boom done. It is consistently a thorn in my side how they have to make their side content so loving grindy all the time. See: ARR and HW relics, Diadem, Eureka, Launch blue, Bozja, faux hollows, Frontlines achievement rewards, big fishing, mentor roulette achievement, and honestly mount drop rates on extremes. Even at 100 coins per that's still 26 castrums, which is still a loving lot of castrums.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 20, 2020

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It sucks that there’s basically no incentive to do castrum because structurally its a real nice change from the rest of the dungeon encounters in the game, and I wish they would do more stuff that was slightly less on-rails.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I don't want to keep harping on the not being healed thing, but:

https://twitter.com/GundamJoe/status/1340520632698757122

Just 1 solid minute of not being healed as the main tank. Also, when I got rezed they didn't even throw a regen or Tetragrammaton on me. I didn't Bolide cause I just didn't expect them to heal me after the effect ended too. That Alex was super bad in general, but man, I just get bugged cause I have a complex that I'll be a lovely tank and these kinda dungeons are loving with me.

I also got back into Bardams and did the two tough pulls fine without dying.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Kurieg posted:

In bozja you get one for a CE and it's probably a purple star you can sell for one gil.

I levelled dancer 71-80 in Bozja and found a garuda couch with particle effects, a gundam mount that converts to ground/flying mode, a chandlier that projects a snowflake onto the ground and a sick lance with the Nidhogg particle effect. I'm 100% satisfied with that all of that from ~60 chests. Also you get 2 from a CE I'm pretty sure.

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 20, 2020

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Anora posted:

Just 1 solid minute of not being healed as the main tank.

That sucks. It doesn't excuse them but there were a bunch of dead and they were decently low on mana. I've zoned out and let a tank die at full mana before because I forgot I was supposed to be healing.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Anora posted:

Just 1 solid minute of not being healed as the main tank. Also, when I got rezed they didn't even throw a regen or Tetragrammaton on me. I didn't Bolide cause I just didn't expect them to heal me after the effect ended too. That Alex was super bad in general, but man, I just get bugged cause I have a complex that I'll be a lovely tank and these kinda dungeons are loving with me.

It looked like they both missed healing you because both healers were trying to pick up dead people. It probably wouldn't have helped much there, but it also looked like you ate that tankbuster without any cooldowns. I feel like it should also be noted that you didn't immediately get healed after taking the rez because they were on the literal opposite end of a large arena. Also, based on how you got healed as two people died to a stack marker, I'm gonna say don't worry about it cause it was just a messy duty all around.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It sucks that there’s basically no incentive to do castrum because structurally its a real nice change from the rest of the dungeon encounters in the game, and I wish they would do more stuff that was slightly less on-rails.

It reminds me of City of Heroes. Basically all of the CoH endgame 'raids' were designed like the Castrum once the game got into the more modern 'raids are more than just a big scary whatsit in a corner of the map'.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Anora posted:

Also, when I got rezed they didn't even throw a regen or Tetragrammaton on me.

Many things were going wrong in that clip, but at that part the white mage did the right thing. The white mage had aggro and the boss turned on him so he healed himself to survive, he and the AST both healed you almost immediately when you got aggro, you can see benefic II and afflatus solace land. It's kind of hard to judge just how bad your healers were at that point since it already looked like things were going very wrong. Both healers made the mistake of trying to save the floundering DPS instead of keeping you up, which is a mistake you are going to see very often. Also, while panic healing, it's very easy to lose focus and not notice your tank is about to eat a tankbuster.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Anora posted:

I feel like you're taking things way too personally here. You have a messy run with overwhelmed and possibly not super experienced healers trying to keep things together but you keep focusing on how you specifically don't get the healers full attention. Then you purposefully don't use all your skills because you're too upset about that. It's kind of a lovely attitude.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Anora posted:

So, first and foremost, you're pointing the boss with a murder cleave away from the party. That automatically disqualifies you from "lovely tank" territory, so don't worry: confidence comes with time.

That being said, there are some things to improve upon. The move that killed you was Punishing Heat, (one of) Alexander's tankbusters. Now, I have no idea how much you've actually paid attention to the different types of moves and all that as opposed to just generalizing it all as "damage". I was playing for years before I actually started connecting "move that does big damage" and "move with fancy name/animation". So if this isn't news to you...sorry, but your video makes it looks like it is.

Bosses (at least normal raid and below) in FF14 are fair: they'll always throw a raidwide and a tankbuster early on when there's nothing else going on so you can learn the name that goes with it and about how much damage it'll do. So, at that point in the fight, you absolutely should have been able to see "Punishing Heat" and know that it was going to eat, roughly, a half of your HP bar. You could and should have used Reprisal. Of course, that alone wouldn't have saved you...but Aurora was also sitting there. Aurora, used ahead of time, when combined with Reprisal would have saved you. Or, yes, you could have Superbolided. Yes, it feels like a waste at 40% but you've got a White Mage and an Astrologian in the party: if a Superbolide gets followed up by a Benediction or Essential Dignity then it doesn't really matter as much what your HP was beforehand.

Of course, this was a team effort. The Astrologian should absolutely have thrown out an Aspected Benefic on you when they saw Punishing Heat start to cast, because why are you in Nocturnal if not to throw out instant speed beefy shields. The White Mage could have slipped a Regen in on you. Either of them could have thrown a party-wide heal in there around Mega Holy, and if you look...they did. Specifically, the Astrologian used both Aspected Helios and Celestial Opposition and just clear missed you with both and just decided to not do anything about it. More importantly, trusting you or their cohealer to do something about it is no excuse: in story level content, it's always better to overmitigate than undermitigate, because the loss of a GCD of healer DPS here or there won't add up to much but losing 2500 MP to raise will.

So my opinion is this: You can, and should have, attempted to mitigate the tankbuster in some way. Aurora should never be just sitting there off cooldown like that, and certainly not for twenty full seconds, and you should have used Reprisal. You also shouldn't have used Rampart and Camouflage side by side like you did, and this is a great example of why: stacked damage reduction has diminishing returns because they multiply upon themselves, so doubling up on cooldowns means you get less damage reduction as opposed to using them separately, and it means you don't have one when you might need it. Had you held off on Rampart twenty seconds before that video started, you'd have been able to Reprisal the Mega Holy (reducing everyone's damage taken) and been able to Rampart the Punishing Heat, and would have cleanly survived. Equally so, however, the healers should have attempted to mitigate: the Astrologian, in particular, had the means and failed three separate times (Aspected Helios and Celestial Opposition missing you, not using Aspected Benefic in response to the tankbuster cast). This was a shared screw-up, and definitely one to learn from.

(and yes, the DPSes not being magnetically attracted to floor tanking would have helped lower the pressure on the healers. Let them without a gold parse cast the first stone)

That's not to say you should feel demoralized, if you're the type to get anxious about that. It's just worth analyzing what could have been done differently, and that you've got a video there means there's a great opportunity for doing just that. Honestly, if this were some anime world and I was teaching a class on playing FF14, then this is the sort of video I'd use as a "We're going to watch this, and then we're going to identify every mistake that was made by everyone there" because honestly? No one comes off looking too great in that minute long clip, except for the Whit...wait, no, they went that entire time having MP trouble and never used Lucid Dreaming.

EDIT: Like, I'm not meaning this to come off as judgmental. Every screwup is a learning experience, and I've learned what I've learned to be able to type the above the only way you can: one dead body hitting the floor at a time (usually my own).

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 20, 2020

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I've made decent money deliberately searching for those mistakes before.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Meiteron posted:

I actually don't think there is going to be a "next Bozja". It really looks like it's just another dungeon.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't be surprised to see a Dalmascan Southern Front in 5.5 since they renamed the haste bonuses.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

It's funny because this video is from 3 weeks after Bozja came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
A much more quick and straightforward fix would be to simply scale the boss difficulty to number of players in Castrum. Sure, players will cry foul because bootstraps but it will at least make those instances where there are only 20 people total and it pops doable