Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I lied in my last post. My favorite thing was sleeping.

The Coast Guard flag thing was pretty cool tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Dorstein posted:

When I was in, I was a QMSN on an FFG with a Coast Guard LEDET on deployment. My favorite thing was running up the Coast Guard flag during boarding ops... Because we were a Coast Guard ship for the duration?

I'm still not clear on the legalities there. If anyone knows better, please contribute.

Yes, it's an authorities thing.

When it's going down the ship officially chops under the OPCON of a USCG admiral and operates just USCG authorities vice USN's Title 10 authorities.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’m being bad at be a reservist again. I volunteered for 4-5 extra months to help out on the ship. Tax-free at least and the vaccine.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ManMythLegend posted:

Yes, it's an authorities thing.

When it's going down the ship officially chops under the OPCON of a USCG admiral and operates just USCG authorities vice USN's Title 10 authorities.

I remember when DHS didn't even exist, and the Coasties (and all the interdiction mission USN ships chopped to them) operated under Transportation.

Simpler times.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m being bad at be a reservist again. I volunteered for 4-5 extra months to help out on the ship. Tax-free at least and the vaccine.

Honestly I don't blame you for staying on a USNS longer when things are going to be bleak this winter

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Honestly I don't blame you for staying on a USNS longer when things are going to be bleak this winter

My germaphobe wife is ok with it. Tough choice due to the kids alone.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

My germaphobe wife is ok with it. Tough choice due to the kids alone.

Just be careful not to push that "ok" to its limits. I've seen more than a few people go back to that well too many times and it was always ok until it was suddenly very, very not ok.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Is there a free dead reckoning simulator that anyone knows of? All I wanna do is simulate whiskey course and speed of a few contacts and be able to get bearings and distances from each, and I'm almost to the point of commissioning it on fiver

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

Just be careful not to push that "ok" to its limits. I've seen more than a few people go back to that well too many times and it was always ok until it was suddenly very, very not ok.

Yeah that was a concern but I got an extremely independent wife with strong help from her parents who in turn both had career military parents.

I’m done though when these orders are up. They carry me through April and I’ll have the best months of the year off in Washington to spend with my family.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

piL posted:

Is there a free dead reckoning simulator that anyone knows of? All I wanna do is simulate whiskey course and speed of a few contacts and be able to get bearings and distances from each, and I'm almost to the point of commissioning it on fiver

Like an ARPA simulator? Try this:
https://www.nauticalalmanac.it/en/navigation-astronomy/radar-navigation-maneuvering-board.html

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

That, but the reverse. I want true positional data and headings so I can have a fake real time, adjustable interaction to make students solve maneuvering boards for, instead of something that, given information, solves it.

I was hoping to split a class into two and have them solve moboards for each other's vessels, and solve ROR questions based on each other. I can do it with the simulator, but the other objectives was to make a student group be red cell (does a moboard), blue cell (does a moboard), and white cell (returns bearings and ranges) so I could observe and support all three individual groups. I can do it with the ECDIS simulator, but all the participants are remote, so I'd have to operate the simulator and because it's Navy owned, the only airgapped way to share the info from it would be to point a camera at the screen.

CMO would be ok for this purpose, but they want $1,000 a year if you're using for educational purposes, plus $50 per seat. That's a bit of overkill for tracking 2+ points on a hypothetical latlong grid and measuring relative bearings, and while I could use it for other things, that's a whole process.

I can do this non-real time also, but that's less fun.

I did finally find the right combination of words to get a list of open source "chart viewers", so this might be the way to go.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Hey goons, I gotta vent.

Getting the Strike Warfare team certified has been a nightmare. Long story short, the ship is old as gently caress, getting repair parts takes longer because of COVID, the equipment refused to stay fixed, systems that we don't own but need to interface with haven't been certified and don't work, there doesn't seem to be any amount of noise that I can make to anyone that will listen to get traction on the issues preventing us from moving forward, and in the mean time my chain of command insists on continuing to have my team come in early and stay late to "train" despite not being able to configure the system to support the training, or "troubleshoot" despite the issues being the systems and equipment of other divisions that either will not or can not support. ATG has been practically living in CIC watching us poke and prod the ITs and ETs for hours each day no to avail. The timeline is so hosed that everyone on the Strike team that's taking the second holiday leave period has to cut their leave short by 3 days because that's the only available time for ATG to come back.

On Thursday the ship received a telephonic bomb threat. Hours later after sheltering in place or evacuating the ship, one the bomb-sniffing dogs have reasonably concluded that there's not actually a bomb on board, when the division regroups Senior tells us to run an in-house strike scenario because we need the practice.

At 1500. Immediately following a bomb scare. The day before half the ship goes on holiday leave. When there's no indication at all that the issues halting our progress will have been even remotely addressed by the time ATG comes back in two weeks. All I can say is thank Christ I've been taking Adderall so I was able to calmly soft-ball the laundry list of reasons that perhaps the team would not necessarily benefit from any training that was conducted at this time, respectfully, Senior Chief.

"Are you saying there's no point to training?"

Jesus gently caress how are you this out of touch. Thankfully I didn't have to answer because my senior FC2 beat me to it. He had just spent the last two hours sweeping the ship as a SRF member so he pretty much got a free pass for snapping at her, "NO THAT'S OBVIOUSLY NO WHAT HE'S SAYING AT ALL."

So I took that opportunity to break up the group discussion and get things moving, the sooner we start, the sooner we finish, yadda yadda. Really though, I just wanted her gone so my team could decompress. One of them actually thanked me for trying to stand up to her, not something that happens very often. I muttered that I wasn't sure it had even registered that way to her. I left them to it and followed Senior into the p-way were we could have a nice little face-to-face. I told her she was making a bad call. That no one's head was in the game after the day we had had. I told her that I hoped she could recognize that I was telling her this one-on-one because it was important and I wasn't trying to just disrespect or undermine her because I wanted to go home.

I actually did a double-take when she interrupted me not even half-way through what I had prepared to say (I was ready for a full-on shouting match, my restraint is medically-induced, it has a limit)

"Ok. It's your call."

So I told her we'd do a scenario the next morning when everyone was fresh. Then she clapped me on the shoulder and said she was glad to see me growing into the LPO role. She can go gently caress herself.

The next day we were collapsed to 3 Section duty to support the holiday stand-down. The personnel that were taking the first leave period, but were technically on duty that day (like me) had to muster at 1600, because our leave didn't start til then, which I've never seen done in 11 years. An email got sent out late Thursday after the Force Protection hubbub had died down, a reminder to take the Command Climate Survey, with a link to it.

Made sure to remind my sailors.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Um, are you posting from 2009 because I definitely would have been the FC2 in this scenario.

Also, gently caress the practical implementation of ATG.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
poo poo being broken and everyone has to stay late even if they cannot help fix it in any way? Wow sounds like the navy to me.

No really I had to do the same poo poo 20 years ago. At times we had to stay till 3am sitting on our rear end. The bonus for the next day? Oh muster at 0900.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

There's a reason why I burned out of the Navy after hitting IT1, and that's part of it. poo poo just chews you up and spits you out.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Thats an extremely toxic environment set up for failure.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
My roommates got COVID test swabbed and put on pre deployment ROM THURS. They were called back in that day. The Mission is only happy if there's suicide attempts

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Say, I wonder if the enlisted system for advancement being totally idiotic and senior enlisted being largely people who made it that far because decent people got the gently caress out has anything to do with this? Hmmm...no, it's probably just kids are weak and they have too much liberty

Too much liberty, a thing we heard firsts and chiefs say my last deployment was causing low morale and suicide attempts

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Culture promotes culture in between naval gazing and pondering why things are hosed.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

lightpole posted:

Thats an extremely toxic environment set up for failure.

"The ship is going on deployment in [Month]. Thats not changing. Every missed deadline, every failed cert event just compresses our timeline. So an entire work center getting put on ROM for two weeks is not something to celebrate."

- My CO

Meanwhile junior sailors are desperately spitting in each other's mouth to escape this hell dimension.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

"The ship is going on deployment in [Month]. Thats not changing. Every missed deadline, every failed cert event just compresses our timeline. So an entire work center getting put on ROM for two weeks is not something to celebrate."

- My CO

Meanwhile junior sailors are desperately spitting in each other's mouth to escape this hell dimension.

Know what happens when you put even more heat and pressure on a diamond? it turns back into carbon dust.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Holiday leave? Must be nice, must be nice

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Call ProPublica, their editorial team has been sensing blood in the water of Navy leadership for a year or two now and they keep hunting for good content.

Because the Navy needs a swift kick in the rear end to change this because its already unsustainable.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Call ProPublica, their editorial team has been sensing blood in the water of Navy leadership for a year or two now and they keep hunting for good content.

Because the Navy needs a swift kick in the rear end to change this because its already unsustainable.

Think I'll wait for the post-holiday-leave suicide to really seal the deal. Don't kill yourself, talk to someone.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Lmao that basically could be the ship I was on when I was undes, we got hosed similarly around Christmas since we were super behind schedule but were just waiting for contractors to do poo poo, then with an exhausted, depressed crew from working 16 hour days and no weekends for 2 months into the new year we failed LOA hard.

It’s always the same story with a few details changed.

Yeah and god that Christmas duty day was the start of the most depressed I’d ever been or will be. Definitely get help, and don’t go to your ship, go straight to the ER if things are getting really dark.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 20, 2020

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Now I remember what I was going to post. Got a job offer for a contracting position, it’s a pretty good foothold into cyber security which I want to get into and pays more than I’m making as an E4 so that’s rad. I’ll be on a navy base as a dirty civilian so hell yeah. I mean since I’ve been on the hospital floor I haven’t worn a uniform save once a month but I don’t even have to pretend to kinda do the occasional navy song and dance, I can wear jeans, just do my job and go home and also grow a beard.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 20, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Now I remember what I was going to post. Got a job offer for a contracting position, it’s a pretty good foothold into cyber security which I want to get into and pays more than I’m making as an E4 so that’s rad.

Be careful, the incidental benefits and allowances of the military are actually surprisingly big. Until I was making 70k+ pre-tax I was not on the same financial steady ground as I was when I was an E6 making 40k, because I didn't factor in those costs (housing, food, and utilities are surprisingly expensive). Don't pick up a gig where you're going to gently caress yourself into living in a cardboard box. Contracting companies know this, and they thrive off of dumbasses fresh out of the military who will accept a job for 15% over what they were making base pay in the military, and gently caress themselves over.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 20, 2020

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010
a

rentilius fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 20, 2020

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
A bibliography

2010: Navy, you made a bunch of changes and have failed to analyze them. You lack performance measures for your training and data on qualificatiom timeliness. You don't know what your workweek looks like, but you changed it from 67 hours/week to 70 hours/week.

2015: when you create too much tasking without analysis, relief or priority in large organizations, you incentivise mutual disinformation throughout the chain of command and, effectively, give up your command over subordinate forces who are thus forced to make uninformed risk "decisions" implicitly

May 2017: hey, its been 7 years, do you know what your Sailors are doing?

Sept 2017: Navy, you don't know what kinds of hours your people are working. Some sailors are working in excess of 100 hours per week.

the Navy workweek and manning

October 2017: The Comprehensive Review

2019: "during group discussions in November 2018 with ship crews and interviews with Navy officials in Japan, we learned that the Navy’s methods for tracking fit and fill do not account for sailor experience and may be inaccurately capturing the actual presence of sailors onboard and available for duty on its ships. Moreover, sailors consistently told us that ship workload has not decreased, and it is still extremely challenging to complete all required workload while getting enough sleep."

A 2019 all hands call inspires satire.

2020: Manning Still Matters: A Fleet Perspective By Master Chief Paul Kingsbury, U.S. Navy (Retired)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

orange juche posted:

Be careful, the incidental benefits and allowances of the military are actually surprisingly big. Until I was making 70k+ pre-tax I was not on the same financial steady ground as I was when I was an E6 making 40k, because I didn't factor in those costs (housing, food, and utilities are surprisingly expensive). Don't pick up a gig where you're going to gently caress yourself into living in a cardboard box. Contracting companies know this, and they thrive off of dumbasses fresh out of the military who will accept a job for 15% over what they were making base pay in the military, and gently caress themselves over.

That’s a good point- I’m talking about my combined BAH and salary. Given that I don’t spend a ton I’ve also built up enough money that as long as I live frugally is gently caress you money, I’m not nervous about that aspect of getting out. My other job option so far paid far, far lower and would have been effectively a pay cut.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Think I'll wait for the post-holiday-leave suicide to really seal the deal. Don't kill yourself, talk to someone.

Please don't make jokes about suicide, particularly around the holidays.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

It isn't a joke with the USN it's a statement of goddamn fact

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

maffew buildings posted:

It isn't a joke with the USN it's a statement of goddamn fact

It's also a statement of goddamn fact that my wife committed suicide around the holidays.

Please don't make jokes around suicide, particularly around the holidays. I don't understand why this is a difficult request.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

McNally posted:

It's also a statement of goddamn fact that my wife committed suicide around the holidays.

Please don't make jokes around suicide, particularly around the holidays. I don't understand why this is a difficult request.

turns out Grover had a better understanding of this subforum / the navy / the mil.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Message received, time to burn down this thread.

You Navy guys ought to be used to that this year, right?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

So a few people gently caress up and you punish us all.

Got it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

LingcodKilla posted:

So a few people gently caress up and you punish us all.

Got it.

And they say I don't understand the military.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

McNally posted:

And they say I don't understand the military.

It’s an emotional response that does nothing to further the discourse we had going on but go ahead do what you want.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

LingcodKilla posted:

It’s an emotional response that does nothing to further the discourse we had going on but go ahead do what you want.

I think the fact that we're actually talking in the thread right now should suggest that I was joking about burning down the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

You guys really want to fight for your rights to make suicide jokes in a forum made of broken vets where we've had multiple suicides.

What the gently caress.