Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

ARMBAR A COP posted:

When was the Ciclope unmasking?

Did it happen before that?

Malenko as Ciclope was Slamboree 1998.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Tony also seems to genuinely love modern wrestling as much as the old stuff, so that makes his work ring as an actual enthusiast who commentates. That also contrasts with modern JR who, at times, audibly sounds like he’d rather be anywhere else in the world.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Tato posted:

Also they wore South Park T-shirts right when it started. Kind of hard to explain just how much that helped with the demographic.

This made me think.

Did WWE have to pay for the use of those T-Shirts? Did they have to pay for having John Tenta carry a Cartman doll to/in the ring? (especially as it was mentioned and an important part of the gimmick)

Did Raven/WCW have to pay Suicidal Tendancies and the other 'edgy' bands that he wore T-Shirts of?

Coz I know Disney will sue the arse hairs off of you if you show their stuff/logos without paying. So I am wondering if other licensees are as litigious. Because on TV I know I have seen instances where corporate logos blacked out with tape, or blurred post production.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

This made me think.

Did WWE have to pay for the use of those T-Shirts? Did they have to pay for having John Tenta carry a Cartman doll to/in the ring? (especially as it was mentioned and an important part of the gimmick)

Did Raven/WCW have to pay Suicidal Tendancies and the other 'edgy' bands that he wore T-Shirts of?

Coz I know Disney will sue the arse hairs off of you if you show their stuff/logos without paying. So I am wondering if other licensees are as litigious. Because on TV I know I have seen instances where corporate logos blacked out with tape, or blurred post production.

You can wear and use that stuff in shows, but some shows don't want to risk possible litigation (however remote) and blur or don't want to promote something on their TV and blur. The WWF stuff with Cartman probably gets closer to the line if you are constantly referencing it but wearing a band shirt is not going to get you sued unless you do something to make it seem like the band is promoting something they don't want to be associated with.

Blankspot
Aug 23, 2007
Would you kindly...

I have a 71 year old father in law who I have gotten into professional wrestling the last few years. Hes mostly watched WWE content since it's easier to access without cable television.
I had him watch some AEW and he really enjoys it. He also reads a lot. Would the Young Bucks book be a good gift? Hes pretty conservative but does watch R movies. I dont want him to read any stories that could turn him off of AEW since they are such big parts.
I'm not sure what it would take to offend him I'm just worried it could. I mean he watches SmackDown every Friday and has only recently said it's bad so it takes a lot.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Part of the Tony story in WCW is that he felt passed over in favour of Bischoff for the job as Executive Producer after Bill Watts left.

Jim Ross was also gunning for that job, and Bischoff getting it was what made JR leave for WWF.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Blankspot posted:

I have a 71 year old father in law who I have gotten into professional wrestling the last few years. Hes mostly watched WWE content since it's easier to access without cable television.
I had him watch some AEW and he really enjoys it. He also reads a lot. Would the Young Bucks book be a good gift? Hes pretty conservative but does watch R movies. I dont want him to read any stories that could turn him off of AEW since they are such big parts.
I'm not sure what it would take to offend him I'm just worried it could. I mean he watches SmackDown every Friday and has only recently said it's bad so it takes a lot.

My understanding is that the Young Bucks come across in their book as Good Christian Boys, and there isn't much objectionable behaviour, but I'll let someone who has read it confirm.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Sometimes I feel the urge to apologize to Tony on Twitter for thinking he was a crappy announcer for the last 20 years until AEW.
Actually it started with Tony tweeting 'It (The Yeti) was a dumb gimmick so I made a dumb call'

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Blankspot posted:

The Young Bucks are conservative Christians with a strong sense of personal and religious ethics but basically accepting of other people's differences, there's nothing in the book that's likely to offend.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

MassRafTer posted:

You can wear and use that stuff in shows, but some shows don't want to risk possible litigation (however remote) and blur or don't want to promote something on their TV and blur. The WWF stuff with Cartman probably gets closer to the line if you are constantly referencing it but wearing a band shirt is not going to get you sued unless you do something to make it seem like the band is promoting something they don't want to be associated with.
This is true, and the other reason you don't see this sort of thing much anymore (specifically in WWE, but also across TV) is on the principle that why give a show like South Park free product placement when it might discourage other programs/products from giving you money for paid product placement, like RC Edge or Shasta McNasty?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
who's the most successful/most-loved shooter/MMA fighter who pivoted into pro-wrestling? I don't count people like Minoru Suzuki or Katsuyori Shibata, who are more wrestlers than shoot fighters.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Ken Shamrock I imagine

Blankspot
Aug 23, 2007
Would you kindly...

Thanks guys on the Young Bucks book info. I think he will enjoy it.
I also thought the Christian AF thing was just a funny BTE skit. My wife caught an episode and was dying laughing over it. She is a Christian who also happens to have the initials AF. She had me buy the shirt for her.

Blankspot fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 19, 2020

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Schneider Heim posted:

who's the most successful/most-loved shooter/MMA fighter who pivoted into pro-wrestling? I don't count people like Minoru Suzuki or Katsuyori Shibata, who are more wrestlers than shoot fighters.

bob sapp and dan severn both deserve a decent shout also.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Sakuraba too

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Blankspot posted:

Thanks guys on the Young Bucks book info. I think he will enjoy it.
I also thought the Christian AF thing was just a funny BTE skit. My wife caught an episode and was dying laughing over it. She is a Christian who also happens to have the initials AF. She had me buy the shirt for her.

i havent read their book but from their promotional interviews it sounded more like they were in a cult as kids, talking about 6 hour church services and poo poo. but now they dont attend at all so

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Schneider Heim posted:

I dunno. If we're not including Suzuki who started in pro wrestling & went on to found Pancrase with Masakatsu Funaki after leaving Pro Wrestling Fujiwara Gumi then you surely can't count Ken Shamrock, who also started in pro wrestling, and had a spell in Newborn UWF & then PWFG before appearing on the first Pancrase show. And there's also guys like Yoshihiro Takayama & Kazuyuki Fujita who started in UWF-I & New Japan respectively. The next obvious name to me would be Kazushi Sakuraba, who started in wrestling (UWFI-I & then following Takada to Kingdom), became the biggest MMA star in what was at that point the biggest MMA promotion in the world, then went back to wrestling. But of course he was never as big in wrestling. The GHC Tag Titles he won this year was the first wrestling title he's held.

Strictly looking at guys who didn't have a start in pro-wrestling I'd say the first name that comes to mind is Don Frye, going from one of the biggest stars in the early UFC to joining New Japan & quickly establishing himself as a top heel act there. But the answer is probably Ronda Rousey.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRAdWcfpM_Y

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Looks like you all forgot about Tank Abbott

https://youtu.be/6tsAW8jGukY

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

FakePoet posted:

Uranage: how do you (personally, and definitionally) pronounce this, what are its origins, and why is the one Jay White does so much better than all the others? Is anyone else even close?

Seriously, it's like a super in one of the more cartoonish wrestling games.

Jay White is just great.

(I've always said "your a nah ghee", but my brain isn't confident in that).

hiroshi hase's is the original (in pro wrestling) and best. the version where it's just a slam like bray wyatt and akitoshi saito and others do is a different move and only called a uranage by english speaking announcers. japanese announcers call it an ura otoshi

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
shamrock and sakuraba were both pro wrestlers before they were mma guys

edit betean

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
No mention of Ogawa?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Spermgod posted:

shamrock and sakuraba were both pro wrestlers before they were mma guys

edit betean

Sure but the op didn't say that they had to have done mma first, only that they were more shoot guys than pro wrestlers and personally i would say that shamrock and sakuraba made their names primarily in mma.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Spermgod posted:

hiroshi hase's is the original (in pro wrestling) and best. the version where it's just a slam like bray wyatt and akitoshi saito and others do is a different move and only called a uranage by english speaking announcers. japanese announcers call it an ura otoshi

Omega has used a Uranage now and again, I remember it in the G1 match where he accidentally concussed EVIL

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Yeah what I meant was "is more well-known as an MMA fighter than a pro wrestler" in spirit, I looked up Sakuraba's career and guy did start as a wrestler in high school, but from what I understand his pro-wrestling stuff is more of a thing he does out of love rather than an actual job.

Ronda Rousey checks out, I guess. Her being a good wrestler, though..... I'm just curious because a lot of shooters who go into wrestling are known to, well, shoot on their opponents.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

This just sort of popped in my head, but what happened to sour Rene Dupree on working for WWE? Before I stopped watching I thought he was really gonna be a star but then nope.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
He had some kind of falling out with Sylvan Grenier. I think both wanted to be pushed as singles wrestlers, even though Grenier was nowhere near as talented as Dupree. Rob Conway was the real casualty in this as he was a better wrestler than both and got lumped in as the replacement in La Resistance.

Dupree had that short run on WWECW where he looked gold but was promptly jobbed to CM Punk and disappeared.

Dupree also got punched by Bob Holly on a house show and WWE didn't do anything to discipline that jerk Holly. Imagine pulling that kind of poo poo in a real job - that probably pissed Dupree off.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

God what a toxic business.

I live in the same town as Bob Holly and see him around sometimes and he's just a tremendous rear end in a top hat. I knew all the other stories about him but never knew he personally assaulted Dupree. When it's this late at night I get a bit wistful about how WWE in the future will really be seen as a place where lots of talented wrestlers went to do almost nothing. It's incredibly sad from an artistic standpoint. Then again I might just be quite stoned currently.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

my favorite bob holly story is the time he sandbagged brock on a powerbomb so brock just shoot powerbombed him and broke his back.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Attitude Era Podcast's review of Bob Holly's documentary is really good imo. While he's a dick and tries to act like his being a bully is more a myth he has interesting stories about his interactions with Vince. He talks about how Vince legit bought him somewhere in the park of 250k in race car poo poo for the Sparky Plug gimmick since Holly was actually into stock car racing. Claims he tried to help Vince resell the stuff when the gimmick didn't get over and Vince literally gave all of it to him for 20 bucks.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Yeah I enjoyed listening to their book review, Holly's book was quite well received.

I have a question: Paul Heyman quit WWE in 2006 when Vince McMahon made changes to the December 2 Dismember PPV. Has Heyman ever said what his original plans were?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ItohRespectArmy posted:

my favorite bob holly story is the time he sandbagged brock on a powerbomb so brock just shoot powerbombed him and broke his back.

Yeah, apparently this is a myth.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Yeah I enjoyed listening to their book review, Holly's book was quite well received.

I have a question: Paul Heyman quit WWE in 2006 when Vince McMahon made changes to the December 2 Dismember PPV. Has Heyman ever said what his original plans were?

The main one I've heard revolves around the main event. Heyman basically could read the room with the ECW fanbase, and his plan was basically something along the lines of - start with Punk vs Big Show in the Elimination Chamber. Punk taps out Big Show in a couple of minutes, taking the defending champion out, and then outlasts the rest of the competitors (I'm assuming RVD would have had a bigger role to play, and Sabu, well, would have had a role to play). Big Show as apparently all for it, but then Vince basically I'M VINCE loving MCMAHON'd all over it, and we ended up with Punk going out first, Sabu getting taken out of the match for Test or Hardcore Holly, RVD doing gently caress all before getting eliminated by Test, and Big Show being the final boss of the match for Bobby Lashley to overcome.

The event sucked poo poo, as did the rest of the event, Heyman got blamed for it, and ECW basically became the red-headed step-child brand until it became a prototype for what NXT was before it became its own brand.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 23, 2020

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, apparently this is a myth.

we live in a post truth society and I choose to believe it.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

we live in a post truth society and I choose to believe it.

It honestly adds to the Bob Holly mythos so much that it takes him from "bullying dickhead" to "oh he's just very dumb" so I'm inclined to agree with your reality.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

TheKingslayer posted:

This just sort of popped in my head, but what happened to sour Rene Dupree on working for WWE? Before I stopped watching I thought he was really gonna be a star but then nope.
At least according to Dupree, the final thing was that he failed a drug test, got sent to rehab in March 2007, came out of rehab, the Benoit murders/suicide happened in June 2007, he relapsed, and after the second stint in rehab he didn't want to be in wrestling anymore and Vince didn't want another dead wrestler on his hands so they voided his contract at Dupree's request in July 2007.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

He had some kind of falling out with Sylvan Grenier. I think both wanted to be pushed as singles wrestlers, even though Grenier was nowhere near as talented as Dupree. Rob Conway was the real casualty in this as he was a better wrestler than both and got lumped in as the replacement in La Resistance.
Dupree got drafted to Smackdown in 2004, leaving Conway/Grenier as La Resistance on Raw. Dupree got a decent initial push on Smackdown, feuding with John Cena (and Booker T and Rey Mysterio) for the US title through the summer. Then he got stuck in a tag team with Kenzo Suzuki, who actually won the tag titles though the team itself were chickenshit heels treated like modern heel beltholders. Then he was a Heat/Velocity mainstay for a year or so, went to ECW, had one TV match with a reunited La Resistance, then rehab. Whatever heat they had is presumably squashed because they started tagging on the indies about five years ago.

quote:

Dupree had that short run on WWECW where he looked gold but was promptly jobbed to CM Punk and disappeared.
I looked it up and I remember early WWECW was very promo/vignette heavy, but the entirety of his in-ring WWECW run was:

September 11 2006: Squashes Balls Mahoney in 3m24s
October 3 2006: Jobs to CM Punk in 3m26s
October 10 2006: Jobs to CM Punk in 2m12s
December 19 2006: Jobs to Bobby Lashley in 2m35
February 20, 2007: La Resistance squashes local jobbers in 47s

So I'm not really sure what (besides steroids) made him look golden in this run.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

karmicknight posted:

It honestly adds to the Bob Holly mythos so much that it takes him from "bullying dickhead" to "oh he's just very dumb" so I'm inclined to agree with your reality.

For what it's worth, Bob Holly's book confirms he didn't intentionally sandbag Brock but also confirms that he agreed to not sue WWE over his near-death experience because Vince promised him that he'd be a major part of the Vince vs Trump Wrestlemania match, so there's the same amount of Bob Holly being a loving dumbass in the world.

EDIT: Not the near-death experience from getting his neck broke, the later near-death experience from having an infection be ignored by WWE's doctors.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 23, 2020

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Does Bob explain whether he was happy in his book about tagging with Crash and/or Cody? I mean, those things kept him on TV, but I can't imagine he enjoyed either (for different reasons, obviously).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tagging with Crash was the closest he ever got to being really over, what wouldn’t he have liked about it?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TheKingslayer posted:

I live in the same town as Bob Holly and see him around sometimes and he's just a tremendous rear end in a top hat. I knew all the other stories about him but never knew he personally assaulted Dupree. When it's this late at night I get a bit wistful about how WWE in the future will really be seen as a place where lots of talented wrestlers went to do almost nothing. It's incredibly sad from an artistic standpoint. Then again I might just be quite stoned currently.

The Holly/Dupree thing was a really weird situation. From what I understand, Dupree was driving a rental that was in Holly's name (possibly to just return it) and ran a red light or something illegal. Because it was in Holly's name, he was the one who had to deal with it, which was a tremendous pain in the rear end because it meant having to go back to that town and spending several days there to sit through the legal poo poo. It was brought into wrestler's court and the judgment was that the two would have a house show match where Holly was allowed to go hog wild. He messed Dupree up hard and Dupree ended up escaping to the back.

It's still an extremely hosed up situation, but I can at least understand where Holly was coming from. It wasn't like he was being a dick for the sake of it like Dynamite Kid punching Jacques in the back of the head for laughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TheKingslayer posted:

Well, drat. I thought I remembered hearing stories about how he had softened over the years and wasn't a big rear end in a top hat anymore. Maybe I'm thinking of a different rear end in a top hat.