Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Christmas with cats could be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Well, that and "Well the government arent abiding by the rules so why should we?"

Seriously. I wonder how much different this situation would have been if the Tories had fired Cummings after his jolly.

yeah. that's a pretty big thing people have to cling on to. sets a terrible standard for what's a reasonable exception to judge yourself against.
I think even if they'd fired him, the damage was still done. criminal sanctions were required to send the message that he was out of line. people outside the small set of those in the public eye know that they won't get sacked even if they are caught breaking the rules.

bring back the stocks is what I'm saying. it'd be a way to use up all the food waste from constantly reopening and closing restaurants at least.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Cerv posted:

yeah. that's a pretty big thing people have to cling on to. sets a terrible standard for what's a reasonable exception to judge yourself against.
I think even if they'd fired him, the damage was still done. criminal sanctions were required to send the message that he was out of line. people outside the small set of those in the public eye know that they won't get sacked even if they are caught breaking the rules.

bring back the stocks is what I'm saying. it'd be a way to use up all the food waste from constantly reopening and closing restaurants at least.

Public flogging of MPs would be great.

Good money maker too, £5 to throw a bit of rotten fruit at this week's disgraced MP. All proceeds go to charity.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

crispix posted:

Could do an updated Chris Rea song like poooooosssstiiiiiiin onliiiiiiiiine foh chriiiiiiiistmaaaaaaaaaaas dooo doooo dooooooooooooo doooodoooooooo

Staying home for Christmas...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

Caput gerat lupinum is vastly underused these days.

Just say "you want to be outside the rules? ok, you're outside all of the rules" and see how long they enjoy that for.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Public flogging of MPs would be great.

Good money maker too, £5 to throw a bit of rotten fruit at this week's disgraced MP. All proceeds go to charity.

Get Dave Benson Phillips out of retirement and reboot Get Your Own Back on BBC Parliament.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Get Dave Benson Phillips out of retirement and reboot Get Your Own Back on BBC Parliament.

Except instead of sliming them we dunk them out the back of Parliament into the Thames.

Rig every commons seat with a trapdoor that leads directly to a chute out the back.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
If the Government really didn't want the virus to spread they should have made restrictions legally binding rather than advisory. It's like a suggested speed limit, the majority are going to ignore it unless there is a realistic chance of getting punished.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Except instead of sliming them we dunk them out the back of Parliament into the Thames.

Rig every commons seat with a trapdoor that leads directly to a chute out the back.

Depending on what way round the chamber is organised that might make it tricky to get people on one side all the way to the river. Fortunately the Northern Interceptory Sewer goes right under the Palace of Westminster and leads to the river... eventually.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Worth remembering that a lot of people will have made quite expensive plans for meal arrangements, accommodation, and care for kids and grandparents while the government was telling them 'yep, sure, this will be fine', and now they're shutting everything down while folks are already on the road and offering no kind of support or compensation to help people deal with their plans being disrupted so massively. It's not too surprising that there's a mad, crowded rush out of London at the moment.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Vigil for Virgil posted:

everyone in England thinks that if you don't vote Tory you have to vote labour

This is a very weird and annoying thing.

"These people are bad for voting Tory"
"Yeah, but they didn't like Jollity Crumbum"

And that makes you vote Tory how, exactly? Sure, it's a logical reason for not voting Labour, but there's a whole load of other options on the paper, in addition to not voting at all. Hold people responsible for their Tory votes, dammit! :argh:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Darth Walrus posted:

Worth remembering that a lot of people will have made quite expensive plans for meal arrangements, accommodation, and care for kids and grandparents while the government was telling them 'yep, sure, this will be fine', and now they're shutting everything down while folks are already on the road and offering no kind of support or compensation to help people deal with their plans being disrupted so massively. It's not too surprising that there's a mad, crowded rush out of London at the moment.

Yeah, the supermarkets will have done really well out of this (while the already stressed shop floor staff will now have to deal with millions of people who suddenly need to buy and prepare for a Christmas dinner in the next four days).

Train tickets too. People will have given Virgin et al hundreds to get their families home. Will they get a refund?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

stev posted:

Yeah, the supermarkets will have done really well out of this (while the already stressed shop floor staff will now have to deal with millions of people who suddenly need to buy and prepare for a Christmas dinner in the next four days).

Train tickets too. People will have given Virgin et al hundreds to get their families home. Will they get a refund?

I've looked at policies and the answer is basically no, you won't get a refund unless whoever sold you the thing offers free refunds or are feeling generous.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

"Consumer Rights? Jeeves hold my phone as I chortle into my orphan tear soup"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

When's brexmas?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The trains and planes will still run to accommodate people with legit reasons to travel, so mass refunds would just hit* the train companies and airlines. Ideally it should be the government reimbursing everyone since they wot done hosed everyone up.

*however they get massive government grift anyway so my sympathy is limited

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

mass refunds would just hit* the train companies and airlines.

This is fine.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Are they making a biting comment about Boris always turning up late by having Kieth hold conferences at incredibly specific times.

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1340587804531826688

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Red hot live abstention

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tarnop posted:

Red hot live abstention

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1340596293324992513?s=21

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

check with your operator cos most are offering changes without admin fee and/or 12 month rail travel vouchers if government rules change after you've booked.

as far as the train companies are concerned they are still running the service, so they've fulfilled their part of the contract.
if you don't travel, for whatever reason, that's something you should claim on travel insurance & not up to them to refund. the fact that it's impossible to get insurance cover for pandemic restrictions now is not their problem.
this is textbook situation where the government needs to step in *tumbleweed*

stev posted:

good news! there is no such thing as Virgin trains anymore. they lost their last franchise this time last year.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobstar posted:

This is a very weird and annoying thing.

"These people are bad for voting Tory"
"Yeah, but they didn't like Jollity Crumbum"

And that makes you vote Tory how, exactly? Sure, it's a logical reason for not voting Labour, but there's a whole load of other options on the paper, in addition to not voting at all. Hold people responsible for their Tory votes, dammit! :argh:

Didn't someone post on here some evidence that there wasn't actually a mass switch from Labour to Tory votes, but that usual Labour voters did not come out and vote last year?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Every time I see Labour schedule some announcement or something nowadays I just think ‘who loving cares’?

I stumbled across this article earlier: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/29/panic-britain-public-debt-government-borrowing-pandemic

It’s a good explanation of why borrowing is fine, written in October of this year. Given the turbo austerity we’re about to get, it’s important that everyone with a functioning mind and sense of empathy starts shouting very loving loudly about poo poo like this. They got away with it last time on the back of outright, provable lies about the economy. Let’s try not to let them do it again.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The government doesn't actually care about whether people follow the rules, them creating new rules and tiers by pulling them out of their arse is entirely performative at this point.
"Look at us, being tough because we're so worried about the pandemic :coronatoot: [prances off to a party hosted by a hedge fund]"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Reminder: if you are or know of a labour party member who has been suspended, there's a zoom call at noon:

SOS Legal Advice Session with Mark McDonald QC

https://www.facebook.com/events/2784916841751921/

(On that page, click the link after the word 'online' - obviously not on this image!)

As far as I know you can see this page without a FB account and the call is on zoom not FB.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Cerv posted:

I'm intrigued by the ambiguity there.

I'm looking after the absent flatmates' cats. So dunno if that counts as xmas alone or not.

Pro-tip: Cats love Turkey. The smaller and thinner the pieces the better.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jakabite posted:

Every time I see Labour schedule some announcement or something nowadays I just think ‘who loving cares’?

I stumbled across this article earlier: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/29/panic-britain-public-debt-government-borrowing-pandemic

It’s a good explanation of why borrowing is fine, written in October of this year. Given the turbo austerity we’re about to get, it’s important that everyone with a functioning mind and sense of empathy starts shouting very loving loudly about poo poo like this. They got away with it last time on the back of outright, provable lies about the economy. Let’s try not to let them do it again.

The left needs to put even more work in than rebutting austerity I'm afraid, even though we failed to even do that last time. Winning the argument that it's okay for the government to spend money will just let the Tories continue the corrupt tendering practices they've been getting familiar with during the pandemic and so give more millions to their local pub landlords new business importing construction equipment or something. We need to offer a qualitative argument about the society that we want to have after the pandemic and demand that funding and regulation is provided to make that a reality, put the monetary figures at the very end of the argument. So all high streets are dead now - let's turn empty units into social housing with decent building regulations rather than let the owners create slum domitories, hell let's just demolish them and create new public parks to create green public spaces and help the environment. Nationalise all public transport under regional hubs with oversight from local government so it's democratically accountable and co-ordinated with each other. Push for the regional investment banks that Labour proposed with strict criteria about supporting businesses that are based in each area rather than larger national or international corporations. Cancel all pandemic related debts and arrears because it's the definition of odious and onerous debt. There's probably a ton of other good concepts about rebuilding each local area and that's where the argument needs to start.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Cerv posted:

I'm intrigued by the ambiguity there.

I'm looking after the absent flatmates' cats. So dunno if that counts as xmas alone or not.

For 17 years it was me and my kitties until they shuffled off this mortal coil.
Lovely times were had by all.
Mind you, they didn't think much of the special 'christmas dinner' cat food!
And they never wanted to eat that large box of guylian praleins I got them*, so I had to eat them all - what a crying shame. :cryingiconicanneverfind:

*for anyone not sure, this is a joke - never tried to feed my cats chocolate as it can be fatal for cats.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Cerv posted:

good news! there is no such thing as Virgin trains anymore. they lost their last franchise this time last year.

Are they now called Chad trains?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
You gonna get some new catte?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

namesake posted:

The left needs to put even more work in than rebutting austerity I'm afraid, even though we failed to even do that last time. Winning the argument that it's okay for the government to spend money will just let the Tories continue the corrupt tendering practices they've been getting familiar with during the pandemic and so give more millions to their local pub landlords new business importing construction equipment or something. We need to offer a qualitative argument about the society that we want to have after the pandemic and demand that funding and regulation is provided to make that a reality, put the monetary figures at the very end of the argument. So all high streets are dead now - let's turn empty units into social housing with decent building regulations rather than let the owners create slum domitories, hell let's just demolish them and create new public parks to create green public spaces and help the environment. Nationalise all public transport under regional hubs with oversight from local government so it's democratically accountable and co-ordinated with each other. Push for the regional investment banks that Labour proposed with strict criteria about supporting businesses that are based in each area rather than larger national or international corporations. Cancel all pandemic related debts and arrears because it's the definition of odious and onerous debt. There's probably a ton of other good concepts about rebuilding each local area and that's where the argument needs to start.

Absolutely agree. Simply winning the factual argument is the sort of thing comfortable liberals equate to winning the game totally, but as you said it’s not the end or the beginning of it, just something that ultimately needs to happen at some point. I’d add that fostering a culture of direct action and mutual aid, whether or not you believe electoralism can make a difference, is important. Ultimately if the powerful feel like voting is the only tool the public feels it has in its arsenal, then there will always be a million Keir Starmers there to neuter even that. Diversity of tactics etc. etc.

I’m due to speak to someone from Zero COVID on Monday by the way - pretty sure it was you who posted them in here? They’re a bit light on the website about what financial support they want to see and whether I put anything towards helping the campaign will hinge on that but I think it’s a decent idea and seems to have some fairly sensible thinking behind it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

You gonna get some new catte?

The lease on my flat says no pets. But.... I had to go see the Treasurer last week and noticed a used litter tray. Didn't say anything. Then a couple of days later saw a catte in her window..... so I'm thinking it might be a little flexible - especially since the lessees are also members of the management company which is the freeholder and I'm the Chair and a director!

I was thinking - covid permitting - I might do some of the long distance 'bucket list' traveling I want to do first though eg Antarctica and Canada if I can ever afford to - bearing in mind my advancing years. Then look into getting a catte (maybe an older catte).

The only issue really is that my flat is tiny and there are just two windows - one in the living room, one in the bedroom, and I'm thinking about litter tray smells! There's no door direct to the outside so no chance of a cat flap.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The lease on my flat says no pets. But.... I had to go see the Treasurer last week and noticed a used litter tray. Didn't say anything. Then a couple of days later saw a catte in her window..... so I'm thinking it might be a little flexible - especially since the lessees are also members of the management company which is the freeholder and I'm the Chair and a director!

I was thinking - covid permitting - I might do some of the long distance 'bucket list' traveling I want to do first though eg Antarctica and Canada if I can ever afford to - bearing in mind my advancing years. Then look into getting a catte (maybe an older catte).

The only issue really is that my flat is tiny and there are just two windows - one in the living room, one in the bedroom, and I'm thinking about litter tray smells! There's no door direct to the outside so no chance of a cat flap.

In my experience no pets really means 'no dogs' and cats can sometimes get a pass but I guess it wildly varies.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1340614181385592832

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I'm seeing a lot of assumptions (not just here but also on FB and Twitter) that people 'fleeing' London last night must be second home owners.
Many of them, I'm sure, will be youngish people in their 20s living in cramped flat shares, possibly even having to share a bedroom with a stranger.

I fully understand why non-Londoners are pissed off with 'the rats fleeing a sinking ship', as I have seen it referred to, on the Covid Express, but also can understand why so many were trying to leave last night.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1340595985597288448?s=19

Shut the gently caress up Sunak you patronising billionaire oval office.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

peanut- posted:

Realise I’m appealing for logic where there is none, just the desperation to get a “legal” train out to get to where you’re staying illegally is properly weird to me.

Strangers and possibly police can judge you when you're on the train. Once you get to your illegal destination you're mostly sitting around at home with extended family.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/679981954066956288?s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

SpicePro posted:

In my experience no pets really means 'no dogs' and cats can sometimes get a pass but I guess it wildly varies.

Agreed. And better to ask for forgiveness than permission in this case I think. Cats can always poo poo outside, they like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

So it begins.