Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/AndrewBartletta/status/1340622641506492418?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Why would an anti semite try cancel Christmas?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Absolutely dire but also why isn't this whoever the new shadow education secretary is?

https://twitter.com/RespectIsVital/status/1340611357188698113?s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
For his mates in Hamas I suppose

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The Perfect Element posted:

Question for the thread : if a neighbour or whatever is breaking the rules, is it OK to shop them to the pigs (note: I live in a very white area)?
Late to the party but I'm genuinely disappointed that people haven't been painting plague crosses on rulebreakers' doors this whole time, I reckon it'd be much more effective than narcing & not nearly as morally iffy

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

stev posted:

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1340595985597288448?s=19

Shut the gently caress up Sunak you patronising billionaire oval office.

Or what, they'll take our money away? gently caress off, Sunak.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Angrymog posted:

Or what, they'll take our money away? gently caress off, Sunak.

My interpretation of this is 'negative interest rates is icumen in. Lhude sing cuccu'

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The only issue really is that my flat is tiny and there are just two windows - one in the living room, one in the bedroom, and I'm thinking about litter tray smells! There's no door direct to the outside so no chance of a cat flap.

You really need to keep on top of the litter, but it's okay if you do. Also, I know they're expensive, but you can get windows with cat flaps fitted if you're ground floor.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ha ha!

https://twitter.com/StephenMangan/status/1340580910434029568?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Angrymog posted:

You really need to keep on top of the litter, but it's okay if you do. Also, I know they're expensive, but you can get windows with cat flaps fitted if you're ground floor.

That would be against the lease for sure. All the outside is 'conforming'. In my London flat, I overlooked the back garden and had a small lower window specially fitted in the kitchen so they could get in and out, then I had the cat flap in the door between my kitchen and living room. My flat lacks doors except to bathroom and bedroom (I didn't notice til after I moved in!) And the positioning is very awkward for putting other doors in. I've hung curtains temporarily between kitchen / living and hall / living. There were other more important things to sort first.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Dec 20, 2020

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
On the first day of Christmas my Prime Minister gave to me, a mutant virus and a lock down.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That would be against the lease for sure. All the outside is 'conforming'. In my London flat, I overlooked the back garden and had a small lower window specially fitted in the kitchen so they could get in and out, then I had the cat flap in the door between my kitchen and living room. My flat lacks doors except to bathroom and bedroom (I didn't notice til after I moved in!) And the positioning is very awkward for putting other doors in. I've hung curtains temporarily between kitchen / living and hall / living. There were other more important things to sort first.

It'll get used to asking you to let them in and out in that case.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

As predicted the regulations don't actually stop you leaving t4 so good luck with that, Hancock.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Are they even going to try to pass this one into law before Christmas?

e: answering my own q: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1611/pdfs/uksi_20201611_en.pdf

josh04 fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 20, 2020

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Lungboy posted:

As predicted the regulations don't actually stop you leaving t4 so good luck with that, Hancock.

Last week he was crying in relief that his job was safe again.
Today he's sweating on Sky News how everyone must do their thing to protect his rear end again

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

stev posted:

A large proportion of government debt is actually household savings, so this is basically saying that the government isn't going to be looking to borrow its way out of the coming recession.
Austerity is coming back. Want that new train station in Blyth? Better put your hands in your pockets then.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

stev posted:

i can see them scheming up some weird tax that just brutalises people and robs them of their savings.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

gh0stpinballa posted:

i can see them scheming up some weird tax that just brutalises people and robs them of their savings.

That would be a big benefit to all the landlords too, since the people lucky enough to still be working/paid the same over covid might be closer to actually buying property so better to keep them renting given that buying property doesn't always turn you Tory any more.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

stev posted:

Does attempting to get on the housing market in this insane country count?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Endjinneer posted:

A large proportion of government debt is actually household savings, so this is basically saying that the government isn't going to be looking to borrow its way out of the coming recession.
Austerity is coming back. Want that new train station in Blyth? Better put your hands in your pockets then.

A goldman sachs creature... Insisting on austerity?????

LOL I'm so tired of replaying the same poo poo but more and more farcical

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Communist Bear posted:

Does attempting to get on the housing market in this insane country count?

It counts if you want to make your way to the wall.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

gh0stpinballa posted:

It's called austerity. Again.
Low interest rates on government bonds means banks can't pay higher interest rates on savings so inflation gnaws them away.
Same thing happens to your savings in that defined contribution pension pot that's meant to cover your retirement, except you get hit twice. While you're paying in, low rates of interest vs inflation eat away at the growth. When you cash out, you're meant to buy an annuity to provide regular retirement income. Low interest rates mean they pay out less too.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

stev posted:

"Please go to Pret and buy 200 sandwiches when the pandemic is over"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

"Please go to Pret and buy 200 sandwiches when the pandemic is over"

"But do not try to leave the country with them, or you will be fined"

Seriously, I always buy a ham and cheese sandwich at St Pancras Pret before I get on the Eurostar :(

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

forkboy84 posted:

It counts if you want to make your way to the wall.

Lol what?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobstar posted:

"But do not try to leave the country with them, or you will be fined"

Seriously, I always buy a ham and cheese sandwich at St Pancras Pret before I get on the Eurostar :(

There's a non-Pret sandwich shop there that does really nice croque monsieur. Makes you feel right proper French before crossing over.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Endjinneer posted:

When you cash out, you're meant to buy an annuity to provide regular retirement income. Low interest rates mean they pay out less too.

This hasn't been the case for some time now, there's all sorts of options on what to do with your pension pot on retirement.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

stev posted:

So, gearing up for negative interest rates?

(I'm guessing, the article is paywalled)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

*If you want to buy a house you've got to save huge deposits, to keep banks stable*

Help, people are saving money and not spending it!

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Lungboy posted:

This hasn't been the case for some time now, there's all sorts of options on what to do with your pension pot on retirement.

Fair point, but all of those options though involve you, or an agent on your behalf, holding onto a sum of money. In a climate of austerity, there's very little return on that so you're losing out one way or the other.
Unless you stick it in the housing market, of course!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

stev posted:

I mean, anyone with any money in the bank is going to go on a spending spree when the pandemic ends, that's guaranteed. Everyone's changed their lives to avoid any kind of indoor events, once the pandemic's over they'll all come flocking back to the pubs, restaurants and cinemas en masse.

Likewise people have put house buying on hold, a lot of people have no reason to buy a car since they don't commute any more, loads of stuff to spend on when the pandemic's over.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I heard that old jermany corbins man spends his days on his allotment trying to grow turnips that sing IRA songs :mad:

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Endjinneer posted:

It's called austerity. Again.
Low interest rates on government bonds means banks can't pay higher interest rates on savings so inflation gnaws them away.
Same thing happens to your savings in that defined contribution pension pot that's meant to cover your retirement, except you get hit twice. While you're paying in, low rates of interest vs inflation eat away at the growth. When you cash out, you're meant to buy an annuity to provide regular retirement income. Low interest rates mean they pay out less too.

Low interest rates on government bonds inflates stock prices though, so in theory most people’s pension pots should increase (ignoring Brexit-related drops on the LSE).

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

re: savings, I'm still pondering becoming massively Bad With Money in the new year and getting a horse.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Those videos of people fleeing London last night has properly boiled my piss. Never have I felt the desire to see machine gun nests blocking roads and train stations before.

Seriously though why are people so desperate to see their family at Christmas? Can they bit just wait a bit until they have a vaccination? I love my family but can easily accept the idea of not seeing them in the flesh for a long time, and now I'm worried that I'm emotionally deficient for not wanting to risk the lives of myself and others to see my parents.

it seems like a lot of adults really buy into the whole thing about it being a special day. I think some people have never been alone for christmas before and think of it as a horrible prospect

not me i'm fine getting hammered on my own :dance:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

stev posted:

There's a non-Pret sandwich shop there that does really nice croque monsieur. Makes you feel right proper French before crossing over.

(points at croque monsieur) "Brexitised"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bobstar posted:

You buy a ham and cheese sandwich before you get to France? Do yourself a favour and buy one on arrival next time :colbert:

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

blunt posted:

So, gearing up for negative interest rates?

(I'm guessing, the article is paywalled)

Full article:

quote:

Home workers who have saved heavily during the coronavirus lockdown need to start spending heavily next year to restore the UK's economy, Rishi Sunak has said.

The news came as Parliament's spending watchdog warned that nearly three million people may have been excluded from the Treasury's two schemes to support the employed and self-employed during the coronavirus crisis.

Mr Sunak, the Chancellor, told an online event for Conservative party members last weekend that he "felt good" about the prospects for the UK recovering strongly after the coronavirus pandemic has eased.

He said: "I feel good about the bounceback – I think people have been sitting at home, building up some savings hopefully and we would like to go and spend them when we get back."

The Chancellor also used the event to appeal to the party's grassroots to bear with ministers as they imposed restrictions on England to ease the country through the pandemic.

ADVERTISING

He added: "It is very difficult for us. We are Conservatives, we believe in freedom. This is very difficult but this is unfortunately necessary at the moment – we have just got to get through these next few difficult months."

A report earlier this month from the Centre for Business and Economic Research found that households are estimated to have saved 19 per cent of their disposable incomes in 2020.

This is more than double the savings ratio of seven per cent in 2019 and equates to £7,100 per household, or £197 billion across all households.

The CEBR said: "The £197 billion question, therefore, is what will households do with this money that they have accumulated in 2020 when restrictions ease?

"Of course, a large chunk of these savings will have gone into pensions, which will not be available for spending for some time."

But it added that households might look to spend their savings on holidays while the CEBR detected "considerable pent-up demand" to spend on "the arts, entertainment and live sports".

However it warned that "spending behaviours will depend on how confident consumers feel about the economy next year.

Advertisement

ADVERTISING

"A combination of Brexit and the end of the furlough scheme ... could damage economic output and the labour market early next year, meaning consumers would rather hold on to much of the extra cash they have accumulated in 2020, rather than spend it."

Douglas McWilliams, the CEBR's deputy chairman, told The Telegraph: "The money is there. What’s critical is whether consumers have enough confidence to spend it."

Last week Mr Sunak announced that the Budget will be held in early March where he will outline the next stage in the Government's economic response to the Budget, while the furlough scheme would be extended by a month to the end of April.

Julian Jessop, a leading independent economist, added: "This is a welcome change of tone from the Chancellor.

"Just a few weeks ago he was warning that our 'economic emergency has only just begun', which sent exactly the wrong message to consumers and businesses.

"But if he wants people to spend their increased savings – and companies to invest more – he also needs to stop worrying them with talk of tax hikes."

Separately, MPs on the Public Accounts Spending Committee said that "a combination of policy decisions, limitations in HMRC data and the prioritisation of speed means that as many as 2.9 million workers may have been excluded" from the two schemes.

The two schemes are estimated to have cost the taxpayer £76 billion by the end of April. However the MPs added: "HM Treasury is unable to provide even a ballpark official figure for extending the schemes, or explain how it will determine whether the money has been well spent.  

"HMRC still does not know the actual level of fraud and error in the schemes and will not have a complete estimate until the end of 2021 at the earliest."

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jose posted:

Absolutely dire but also why isn't this whoever the new shadow education secretary is?

https://twitter.com/RespectIsVital/status/1340611357188698113?s=19

lol that she's asking for Boris to take personal charge of the situation, that will definitely help

also you'd have thought they'd have learnt after the first time they said they wanted kids back in school no ifs no buts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
So I was just having my yearly shower and had an idea. I was thinking about that John Rentoul tweet about not wanting an inquiry that will assign blame, and it got me to thinking that there almost certainly won’t be one - that is to say that whole there’ll be an inquiry it will, like all inquiries by the establishment into the establishment, say that mistakes were made lessons should be learned but they tried their best and let’s all forget about it.

This is a bit pie in the sky but what if there was some sort of People’s Inquiry? Called exactly that. Not in the way we’d all want with walls and a choice of Marlboro’s, but some sort of organisation set up with the sole purpose of producing a report into the failings of the government and their buddies, apportioning blame in an evidence based way. If it got traction, even calling on experts and ministers to explain themselves then empty chairing then if they don’t. Extremely transparent, evidence based stuff. I literally thought of this twenty minutes ago so apologies if it’s a bit fluffy right now but does anyone think it might have legs and it’s something people might get behind? And inquiry by the people, for the people?