Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
It certainly took a hard right turn away from anywhere I could have predicted it was going.

I suppose that's not quite true in that I have been thinking that Heather's approach to saving Maisie hasn't seemed like something that could work and the surprise twist was introducing a character telling Heather that explicitly, but I certainly didn't see any other aspect of it coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

It's a big mark in Katalepsis' favor that I keep hoping for less eldritch horror and more dumbass dumpster fire slice of life stuff.

I'm glad someone explicitly told Heather that her rescue plan is either nonexistent or insane though- that'd been bugging me for ages.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TWI Patreon: Who are these new people? Everyone is terrified of them.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm only halfway through this chapter so far but gosh pirateaba is so good at writing a world which is densely saturated with magic then introducing things which somehow seem absolutely magical even by the standards of such a world.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Peachfart posted:

The "dead" gods. They are trying to get people to start worshipping them again.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Peachfart posted:

The dead gods, who apparently are not entirely dead. The same beings that visited Erin at the inn during winter solstice offering “gifts”. The same beings Ryoka ran into while on the road that offered her her missing fingers.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Also, the the "6 not 4" means that two have found/almost found someone to act as an "avatar" - the god of Knowledge is with Aaron and the Traveler is trying to take over Erin's still living but "empty" body.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 21, 2020

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Yo that's spoilery

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Narmi posted:

Also, the the "6 not 4" means that two have found/almost found someone to act as an "avatar" - the god of Knowledge is with Aaron and the Traveler is trying to take over Erin's still living but "empty" body.

TWI still
Should one more have chosen Laken?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

asur posted:

TWI still

Laken showed up to bail Ryoka out a bit earlier, so they were done and Tamaroth was among the four.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Omi no Kami posted:

It's a big mark in Katalepsis' favor that I keep hoping for less eldritch horror and more dumbass dumpster fire slice of life stuff.

I'm glad someone explicitly told Heather that her rescue plan is either nonexistent or insane though- that'd been bugging me for ages.

Oh right, I need to catch up on it.

but at the time i left off i was wanting much more eldritch horror and less dumbass dumpster fire slice of life :colbert:

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Oh right, I need to catch up on it.

but at the time i left off i was wanting much more eldritch horror and less dumbass dumpster fire slice of life :colbert:

Well you'll get more of that recently too. It's a good balance.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

asur posted:

TWI still

I'm kinda on the fence about that. It seems that while Tamaroth chose Laken, Laken didn't give his consent to their deal. Rather, he was coerced by being isolated and made helpless, and Tamaroth forced him again the second time to stay.

Plus the story cut off with Tamaroth dictating terms, again without Laken's agreement, and with Laken being forced to listen while he's trying to leave. So wether the deal holds like with Aaron is debatable.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 21, 2020

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Narmi posted:

I'm kinda on the fence about that. It seems that while Tamaroth chose Laken, Laken didn't give his consent to their deal. Rather, he was coerced by being isolated and made helpless, and Tamaroth forced him again the second time to stay.

Plus the story cut off with Tamaroth dictating terms, again without Laken's agreement, and with Laken being forced to listen while he's trying to leave. So wether the deal holds like with Aaron is debatable.

My take is that active consent is NOT a requirement for being an avatar of the gods, simply that you take their hand even if unwittingly.

- Tamaroth tricked Laken due to him being blind and looking for his stick, and Laken is NOT happy about it.

- Luan rejected the first god, and the second god tried to trick him into taking his hand which Luan didn't fall for (Luan dropped his Oar, went to grab it and looked down just in time to realise that the Oar had been replaced with the gods hand).

- The only one that has had active consent is Aaron and he doesn't know what he agreed to.

The current fan theory is that Aaron and the god of knowledge are hijacking Rhir's rituals to bring more earthers to innsworld.

Maladictus
Feb 22, 2013
This evening's PGtE is up and it is a triptych that appositely resolves three characters' storylines. Callow shall forever remember the ancient and noble house of Lesser Footrest :cry: Looks like Erraticerata will continue posting over the holidays.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That's a rough chapter.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Maladictus posted:

This evening's PGtE is up and it is a triptych that appositely resolves three characters' storylines. Callow shall forever remember the ancient and noble house of Lesser Footrest :cry: Looks like Erraticerata will continue posting over the holidays.

Fffff that may be the first spoiler I’ve ever TRULY regretted mousing over. Not even sure if I want to read the chap now. Definitely gonna put it off till tomorrow

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

navyjack posted:

Fffff that may be the first spoiler I’ve ever TRULY regretted mousing over. Not even sure if I want to read the chap now. Definitely gonna put it off till tomorrow

I wish I’d done the same.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
Top web fiction has updated their UI (since I lasted looked) and is accepting submissions again. Using it, I was pointed towards two web serials I hadn't yet read.

SUMMUS PROELIUM

Super hero genre serial, with competent writing. If your into the genre, definitely worth giving it a go. I find the action sequences pretty enjoyable, and their spread out enough that they're never exhausting.

https://ceruleanscrawling.wordpress.com/2019/03/04/discovery-1-01-summus-proelium/

Technically Abroad

Transported To A Fantasy World with LitRPG leanings. It's honestly just... poorly written. Constant grammar mistakes, bland prose. Not really worth reading. Skip.

edit: the "prove your human" questions top web fiction now makes you solve if you try and upvote a serial are truly fiendish. If you make a mistake, it punishes you with even more "where are trains" questions. It took me a good 30 seconds to get certified as human.

Rob Filter fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 22, 2020

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Yesterday's Pith was just brutal with the way Grace steamrolled over Florence and Isaac. is there anyone left who's capable of taking her on?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think one of my favorite things about PGtE is that the protagonists never have a clean victory. I've read a lot of serials where every conflict comes out entirely in the protagonists' favor, or if it does end in defeat it isn't very costly and only sets things up for a future victory down the line. This is perfectly alright and a lot of them have been entertaining and engaging reads for other reasons, of course, but a story where actions have consequences just feels so much meatier.

Take the current siege of Hainaut, for example. It was talked up as the most important battle of the entire war so far. The Grand Alliance played every possible piece that they had to defend the city, and the Dead King committed hugely important resources to take it. And, as one would expect of that scale of battle, it's costing everyone hugely. Major players on both sides are dying or being seriously wounded. Big strategic resources are being destroyed. It's huge! I love it!

I think I'm ready for it to be over, though. We've had a lot of fighting lately and I'm really hoping we're going to get a few chapters about picking up the pieces. The last chapter felt very conclusive and I'm looking forward to, hopefully, going back to Catherine's POV and seeing how it all gets resolved.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
i have bad news if you thought pgte was about to end; there is a book seven starting in january (maybe february)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PracGuide: So I guess the narrative consequences of Dead King including the Crab in the fight and bringing "overwhelming force" to bear is that Catherine's side could use angel power. I guess that he considered "potentially taking Sve Noc's power" to be worth the risk.

Hard to really say who came out of this better, since as far as I'm aware we don't know how many Crabs the Dead King has. I think it kind of has to be the case that this force was a very big portion of the Dead King's army, because the Grand Alliance is in kind of bad shape right now.

It was interesting seeing Pilgrim's perspective earlier in the chapter. It basically ended any ambiguity over "is Akua's change genuine" (though IMO it pretty obviously has been for a while and it would have been lame for her to suddenly pull a betrayal of some sort - Akua is much more interesting as a character dealing with the consequences of having done something unforgivable, and her change is kind of the realistic and obvious consequence of someone with her hosed up background spending a lot of time with Catherine and the Woe). I don't think anyone else has mentioned this, but Akua's willingness to sacrifice herself is probably one of the bigger things to come of this chapter, and we were essentially given Pilgrim's perspective as a sort of guarantee that "what you're seeing here is genuine."

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

i have bad news if you thought pgte was about to end; there is a book seven starting in january (maybe february)

Oh drat I've been waiting for it to end to read through the final push. Is book 6 done now? I might catch up.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 23, 2020

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Oh drat I've been waiting for it to end read through the final push. Is book 6 done now? I might catch up.

It has a week or two left based on erratas comments

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

38,700 words written in a single day is a bit much imo.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm telling you, pirateaba isn't human, they're some sort of robot or alien. It's the only reasonable explanation for their sheer output.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I wanted to put forward the theory that pirateaba died in the future, reincarnated in the past, and is just recanting the story of some popular franchise from 2050, but 1. the human race isn't going to live that long, and 2. if i had the entire story memorized by heart word for word i still couldn't type that much of it out in a day. Hell, I'm not sure I could type that many randomly selected words in a day.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

what the gently caress was the last 7 chapters out of nowhere in innsworld?

what a loving series of chapters, incredible chapters.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Argue posted:

I wanted to put forward the theory that pirateaba died in the future, reincarnated in the past, and is just recanting the story of some popular franchise from 2050, but 1. the human race isn't going to live that long, and 2. if i had the entire story memorized by heart word for word i still couldn't type that much of it out in a day. Hell, I'm not sure I could type that many randomly selected words in a day.
Re:Trailer Trash. It all fits. Even the goblins. My god.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

tithin posted:

what a loving series of chapters, incredible chapters.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
From the latest (e2:patreon) Wandering Inn chapters: I hope this story ends with everyone burning the blighted kingdom to the ground.

e: I guess this confirms that Laken isn't Tamaroth's avatar?

Narmi fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 24, 2020

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Just finished reading the final update of the year and holy god, poo poo is loving WILD. This might be TWI's most insane volume-ender yet.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
As a non-patreon reader all I can really say is that I;m thinking about that corn.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The corn bit was really funny.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Nobody103 (of Mother of Learning fame) has decided on Zenith of Sorcery for their next story: https://www.patreon.com/posts/merry-christmas-45402989

For those who forgot what this is:

quote:

Story Idea 3: Zenith of Sorcery

The basic premise of the story is that we are following a mighty archmage in a classical D&D-style fantasy world, watching him grow his own powerbase and take on various established powers. He tackles various crises, gathers a bunch of students and followers, and explores the limits of his abilities. 

Eventually, the story will progress into (spoilered in case anyone doesn't want to see the long term trajectory) some kind of ‘multiversal’ plot where the protagonist’s planet comes into conflict with other planets and the higher realms of existence (D&D-style outer planes). I am still not sure how I want this to play out, so I won’t go into details on this.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

On one hand I'm disappointed he isn't going with the slice of life sequel to MoL he apparently considered at one point, but I'm relieved that he didn't end up doing the VRMMO or LitRPG... I really hope he has fun with it, but holy poo poo I'm not committing to another years-long epic from that dude.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
He's pulling in enough money from his Patreon now, since he lives in Croatia it's plausible that he goes full time on writing. That'd be a big improvement over one chapter every three weeks.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

TWI Patreon Chapter is available to everyone now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So we have the direction of the next PracGuide book layed out for us now. Dead King being able to open the hell portals in response to summoning the angel makes sense, and Catherine is very lucky that the Gigantes had a deus ex machina ready for her. The reasoning for needing to go to Praes seems a little goofy to me (I don't get how thousands of diabolists binding all the devils that come out is going to somehow be better than whatever Akua - literally the best diabolist alive - could cook up), but it's a good excuse to find out what's happening with Black and finally get revenge on Malicia. Kind of confused about how this plus dealing with the Dead King will all happen in one book; I won't be surprised if it ends up needing to be extended again.