Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Glad you managed to spread a little tier 4 love around the country before you left.

Bristol is tier 2, something something you prick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

gently caress SAKE i checked the tv guide because offentimes there will be something cool on BBC2 England and BBC2 NI will instead have something on with old lads in wellies looking at fish or something in Irish I can't understand a word of AND

21:30

Documentary
Keepin 'er Country

At Christmas

Nathan and Jake Carter host a festive country music celebration with special guests.

59 mins
Available for 11 months
22:30

History
In the Name of Peace: John Hume in America

Documentary about the late John Hume and the Northern Ireland peace process.

BASTARDS :mad:

BBC NI: Worse than S4C

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Private Speech posted:

Bristol is tier 2, something something you prick?

He said he escaped London, went to Bristol and then went to Scotland.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

gently caress SAKE i checked the tv guide because offentimes there will be something cool on BBC2 England and BBC2 NI will instead have something on with old lads in wellies looking at fish or something in Irish I can't understand a word of AND

21:30

Documentary
Keepin 'er Country

At Christmas

Nathan and Jake Carter host a festive country music celebration with special guests.

59 mins
Available for 11 months
22:30

History
In the Name of Peace: John Hume in America

Documentary about the late John Hume and the Northern Ireland peace process.

BASTARDS :mad:

What TV package you have? They might have the other versions listed in the high hundreds, like Sky does.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Still blows my mind that with all the hundreds of iterations of anti-COVID rules and guidelines we've never approached anything resembling an actual lockdown.

We could've had this poo poo sorted in loving May if we'd locked down properly, country-wide, pubs closed, schools closed, places of work closed unless you're on this list, in March.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

vodkat posted:

In a negative interest rate situation what is to stop people from moving their money into a currency with a positive interest rate?

Cost, reflected in the exchange rate, because everyone else will want to do the same thing.
Also potentially currency export controls which is something I think Thatcher abolished in the UK so we're mostly unused to it. If you go to Morocco or India though, you can only legally buy and sell the currency in country.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/20/conservative-mps-threaten-rebellion-on-brexit-deal

Honestly this is the kind of thing that, out of everything leads me to hope there will be a deal. If they don't like it, it must be something.

Of course they could just be against any chance of a deal.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Hmm Ireland has stopped pretty much all travel from the UK for the next few days, some people are gonna poo poo themselves over this.

My sister and her kids just came back to Cork from their home in London yesterday lol. Apparently they're isolating in their summer-house on the west coast and then getting tested on Xmas Eve, so here's hoping they don't kill my mum :coronatoot:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
:coronatoot:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

MonkeyLibFront posted:

He said he escaped London, went to Bristol and then went to Scotland.

Ahh okay I didn't catch the bit about London, phoneposting sorry.

He's the prick then.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Yeah lads I know the Tories hosed it, and the devolved nations didn't do much better. However being under self imposed house arrest since March, and having seen my family once in that time, fills me with rage to see cunts cramming into shops and trains to continue spreading this poo poo around.

And that guy who dashed through London, Bristol and Scotland to leave the country gently caress him as well.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/1340487827457519617?s=20

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah I just ordered all the Christmas stuff online this year and have only been out for essential stuff like groceries or medicine. I remember during the first lockdown the roads were dead and it felt like a ghost town, however since that one ended it's been business as usual out there by the looks of it. People did seem to take it seriously until the Dominic Cummings thing which is just infuriating after seeing him get sacked for slagging off Boris' girlfriend

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ugh London in tier 4. I'm working there for 10 days over Christmas.

Had a shift last night and while we had some downtime one of the lads was flashing his headlamp at nearby house windows. One of the older lads told him not to do that which I thought was pretty good, but then he turned to me and said "you can get into trouble for doing that now. Women have all sorts of rights these days." Oh yeah, how terrible that you may face consequences for sexually humiliating a woman.

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would say the ubiquity of people being a bit clueless or wilfully skirting the rules on COVID control would suggest that it's a fairly common mental blindspot, and just raging about SELFISH FFFFFFFUCKERS is simplistic, divisive nonsense of the sort that the Tories would dearly love for you to buy into.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Private Speech posted:

Ahh okay I didn't catch the bit about London, phoneposting sorry.

He's the prick then.

He also said he's "going home" so he's probably exempt (though I'm not certain). But running around the country to do so... yeah not great.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Buy this song

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I can't bring myself to be angry at desperate people rushing to try to salvage Christmas when they're only doing so because of the ridiculous situation we've all been put in by the shower of cunts in charge.

It hurts knowing that we're making sacrifices and others aren't but I'd prefer to channel that hurt towards the people who willingly created this situation to trick people into buying food, presents and travel tickets.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Failed Imagineer posted:

Hmm Ireland has stopped pretty much all travel from the UK for the next few days, some people are gonna poo poo themselves over this.

My sister and her kids just came back to Cork from their home in London yesterday lol. Apparently they're isolating in their summer-house on the west coast and then getting tested on Xmas Eve, so here's hoping they don't kill my mum :coronatoot:

their summer house eh

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

bessantj posted:

Had a shift last night and while we had some downtime one of the lads was flashing his headlamp at nearby house windows. One of the older lads told him not to do that which I thought was pretty good, but then he turned to me and said "you can get into trouble for doing that now. Women have all sorts of rights these days." Oh yeah, how terrible that you may face consequences for sexually humiliating a woman.

how does flashing a headlamp at random windows sexually humiliate anyone?

genuine question - I've never heard of this before

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Necrothatcher posted:

I also don't understand what's going on here.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Grey Hunter posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/20/conservative-mps-threaten-rebellion-on-brexit-deal

Honestly this is the kind of thing that, out of everything leads me to hope there will be a deal. If they don't like it, it must be something.

Of course they could just be against any chance of a deal.

They're just reminding their boy so he doesn't bottle it at the last minute. From the point of view of your average brexit nutter like Ian Duncan Smith, the game's won. It's no deal brexit, or a deal so bare it amounts to the same thing.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

bessantj posted:

Ugh London in tier 4. I'm working there for 10 days over Christmas.

While it's not the greatest motivation... It's still bettet to have than perception that not. Similar to the Parable of the Racist tree.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

their summer house eh

Everyone is such a rich bouj except me

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lots of people updating spreadsheets today

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Necrothatcher posted:

I assumed he was looking through people's windows with his headlamp on his head.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Those videos of people fleeing London last night has properly boiled my piss. Never have I felt the desire to see machine gun nests blocking roads and train stations before.

Seriously though why are people so desperate to see their family at Christmas? Can they bit just wait a bit until they have a vaccination? I love my family but can easily accept the idea of not seeing them in the flesh for a long time, and now I'm worried that I'm emotionally deficient for not wanting to risk the lives of myself and others to see my parents.

people have followed every stupid loving rule and new set of rules that contradict the old rules for months now, they were promised that at least xmas would be alright and then even that was snatched away from them. they're at the end of their rope.

all of this, every single bit of it, is this governments fault.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1340636917566717952

yo wtf

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

shocked that people have finally said gently caress it after nine months of "stay protect, home safe, preserve the distance, have 50% off nandos"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

I assume the idea is that people might be changing in the dark. Though yes that was also extremely not the thing I was thinking of rather than just generally annoying people.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

We were up the same place last week and one of the lads flashed his light into a window and there was a woman undressing in her bedroom, she hadn't done a great job of closing her curtains. He was trying for the same this week. I don't know if "sexually humiliate" is the right phrase was just a bit miffed by his reasoning.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

While it's not the greatest motivation... It's still bettet to have than perception that not. Similar to the Parable of the Racist tree.

I suppose every cloud.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 20, 2020

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Sounds like you should kick that lad in the headlamp

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Necrothatcher posted:

YOU'VE HIT THE HAZARDS, LYN!!

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Blueshirt posted:

I would say the ubiquity of people being a bit clueless or wilfully skirting the rules on COVID control would suggest that it's a fairly common mental blindspot, and just raging about SELFISH FFFFFFFUCKERS is simplistic, divisive nonsense of the sort that the Tories would dearly love for you to buy into.

Except everyone builds their own simplification of this complicated world from a patchwork of information that includes their desires as well as laws, peer pressure and about a million other inputs. What other people do doesn't make sense to us because we're not seeing the world from their eyes. What we do, probably doesn't make sense to them for the same reason.
Denying this blind-spot for your own actions and pretending that you are a rational fully-aware-of-every-possible-consequence individual is a key component of conservative thought because it leads to fewer "infantilising restrictions" which gives more latitude to the powerful, and allows a sense of self-righteous superiority when you observe failings in others.
It's not infantilising to enforce smoking bans, sugar taxes, speed limits, travel restrictions or mask wearing. It's humbly recognising that adults are fallible.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Blueshirt posted:

Yeah can we all bare this in mind? So many of you are falling into the exact trap they want you to and I’m surprised to be honest. I can’t really blame people who’ve reached the end of their rope and just aren’t down for having their plans changed last minute, on a personal level. You also don’t know anyone’s circumstances. I daresay there’ll be a solid raft of suicides this Christmas from people who’ve stayed alone at Christmas because of these new rules. Shaming people doesn’t help at all, doesn’t convince the wankers, hurts people who really need to go home/have taken enough precautions that it’s actually not that bad in their case, and plays directly into the government’s hands. Knock it off you gullible twats.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
being mad at individuals instead of the government is wrong but it’s ok to be mad at home counties gammon in principle

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

bump_fn posted:

being mad at individuals instead of the government is wrong but it’s ok to be mad at home counties gammon in principle

Always be mad at Home Counties gammon, obviously, but I’d bet a vast majority of the people fleeing London are young people living alone who’ve been stuck working minimum wage key jobs this whole time.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jakabite posted:

Always be mad at Home Counties gammon, obviously, but I’d bet a vast majority of the people fleeing London are young people living alone who’ve been stuck working minimum wage key jobs this whole time.

It's like blaming young people for spreading covid because they've been going out to pubs, and parties without caring about the consequences... rather than acknowledging that the economic conditions in big cities mean that most people in the first 0-10 years of their careers can't actually afford their own place (to rent solo, or buy (lol)) and so they have to flat-share in a cramped hovel with a bunch of other people.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

gh0stpinballa posted:

shocked that people have finally said gently caress it after nine months of "stay protect, home safe, preserve the distance, have 50% off nandos"
HANDS FACE SPACE, JEREMY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
What this?

A link to this just popped up on my Facebook. Haven't absorbed it enough to see what its take is and who is behind it:

https://labourbuzz.com/about/

quote:

About
Labour Buzz is a new type of news platform reporting truthful, accurate and balanced news, covering everything to do with the Labour party, while also holding the Conservative party, and others to account.

The last election showed that the Labour party faces an uphill battle against a shockingly biased media. Government lies went unchallenged, Labour policies were misrepresented with even respected broadcasters happily, or perhaps unwittingly (unconscious bias) guilty of spreading fake news.

etc