Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Antigravitas posted:

Fuel is the minority of nuclear waste.

Not entirely true, most states do not reprocess fuel, especially in the United States where spent fuel is casked dry and stored.

France and Russia are the only two that actively recycle spent fuel, even then, a large portion of waste isotopes have uses or can be burned up in reactors.

It makes up 3% of waste by mass, but 95% by radioactivity.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Most nuclear waste is junk like dirty lab coats, robots that have been in hot cells too long and dosimeters that are fully exposed. Low level waste is just that, low level, but it can’t be sent to landfill because if it’s gets incinerated or recycled it can end up in all kinds it really isn’t safe to be.

urzaserra256
Nov 29, 2009
The low level waste like that is also gets safe in a relatively short time, its not so hard putting it somewhere and waiting a few tens or years. The stuff thats of concern has time to be safe of hundreds or thousands of years which is why its hard to store somewhere.

I would bet that even the low and medium nuclear waste could be made safe by very carefully processing it and seperating out the elements of concern, but this would be incredibly expensive.

And as mentioned the "waste" thats being talked aboutt being buried still has a lot of potential use.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

We've all been there: your fire extinguisher is on fire. Well, now there's a solution, with my new Fire Extinguisher Extinguisher, the only product on the market specifically designed to put out flaming fire extinguishers!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/ht6fmKM.gifv

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
fighting fire extinguisher with fire

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

urzaserra256 posted:

The low level waste like that is also gets safe in a relatively short time, its not so hard putting it somewhere and waiting a few tens or years. The stuff thats of concern has time to be safe of hundreds or thousands of years which is why its hard to store somewhere.

I would bet that even the low and medium nuclear waste could be made safe by very carefully processing it and seperating out the elements of concern, but this would be incredibly expensive.

And as mentioned the "waste" thats being talked aboutt being buried still has a lot of potential use.
Low level especially isn't worth the money in a capitalist economy to process. It's literally paper and gaskets and pipes and packaging and pallets from inside a hot zone. Its nuclear waste because its not economic to scan and separate anything actually hot out so its 95% cold trash.

At least the US has a low level waste plan but also because its so cold a low level waste plan is "a garbage dump we pay slightly more attention to incursion/excursion"

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Sirotan posted:

Pretty sure it's just a dummy and they've got the motorcycle on a track?

Nope:

quote:

The final part of the chase where the motorcyclist crashes was one magnificent stunt with no dummies. Stuntman Duffy Hambleton rode his police motorcycle full speed into a fallen paint stand, flew over the handlebars, was hit by the airborne motorcycle, landed in the street on his back, and slammed into the crashed car. According to the film's commentary, everyone at the location was stunned, and immediately ran in to ensure Hamilton was alright. According to George Lucas, it turned out Hamilton was perfectly fine, apart from being angry with the people who had run into the shot to check on him. He was worried that they might have ruined the amazing stunt he had just performed by walking into frame.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qlnktdY9so1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qlnp2i7TsD1r0uzl6.mp4

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 20, 2020

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Wasabi the J posted:

IDK why we're sending it to heavenly bodies when the vast emptiness of space is a much broader target.

Efb gently caress

Way to be loving rude to our interstellar neighbors! Gonna star a galactic war or mutate some poor species with that attitude.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

At what point was this going to end in any other result?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I mean...they all look demiled, have the pins/tabs already removed, unless the EOD team did that...

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

had a drilled out grenade as a kid, it was cool and fun to play with. these are full of mud not RDX.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Duds or not, it's kinda poo poo to dispose of them in a lake.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Kith posted:

Car batteries go in the ocean but grenades don't go in a lake? This is all so confusing!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Someone had a very disappointing day of explosive fishing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Luckily all that snow broke his fall.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

Way to be loving rude to our interstellar neighbors! Gonna star a galactic war or mutate some poor species with that attitude.

What if some alien species' nuclear waste caused humans on earth?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Eulogistics posted:

What if some alien species' nuclear waste caused humans on earth?

Congratulations! You just invented a new denomination of Scientology..

The one I invented involves humanity being created by aliens taking a poo poo.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

The top thread on r/metaldetecting is a guy who dug up a WWI grenade and it blew up on him. https://www.reddit.com/r/metaldetecting/comments/c5wjfl/i_was_detecting_in_a_forest_looking_for_coins_i/

Actually when I went to get the link the top thread is now some guy who found a concrete slab in his backyard that contained human bone and a handgun.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Wasabi the J posted:

IDK why we're sending it to heavenly bodies when the vast emptiness of space is a much broader target.

Efb gently caress

Then the giant ball of radioactive waste will come back in a thousand years. The futurama documentary did an episode about this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

I've had to do this one when I was in highschool. Ugh. Just get a tow.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Propaganda Hour posted:

I've had to do this one when I was in highschool. Ugh. Just get a tow.

Was the car dangling off the side of a cliff in the Himalayas too?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

The top thread on r/metaldetecting is a guy who dug up a WWI grenade and it blew up on him. https://www.reddit.com/r/metaldetecting/comments/c5wjfl/i_was_detecting_in_a_forest_looking_for_coins_i/

Actually when I went to get the link the top thread is now some guy who found a concrete slab in his backyard that contained human bone and a handgun.
lol this post rocks, it just keeps getting better and better

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

honda whisperer posted:

This was both cool and terrifying.

Yeah. Then you think about the flip side of this, like that one golfer whose private jet lost pressure at like 30k and just flew halfway across the US full of dead people until it ran out of fuel. Or that one 747 that had a similar failure and the fighter jets sent to intercept actually saw one of the flight attendants, masked up, trying to get control of the plane before it crashed.

Hypoxia's terrifying. (I'm also morbidly compelled by stories of mountaineering accidents, which is another good way to punch your ticket via lack of breathable air.)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Kith posted:

Or the Atlantic Ocean off of New Jersey & Delaware...where the Army dumped tons of ordnance after WWI and WWII:

Hand grenades? In MY driveway??!

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/using-clam-shells-to-pave-driveways-becomes-explosive-issue/article_79156ae6-f456-5318-a25a-ea8d75dd3bc7.html

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

kazmeyer posted:

Yeah. Then you think about the flip side of this, like that one golfer whose private jet lost pressure at like 30k and just flew halfway across the US full of dead people until it ran out of fuel.

Hadn't heard of this story, it's loving gnarly: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/199...%20of%20oxygen.

The report from the two F-16s that made the third interception/inspection is :stare:

wiki article posted:

At 1711:26 CDT, the NODAK 32 lead pilot reported, "The target is descending and he is doing multiple aileron rolls, looks like he's out of control...in a severe descent, request an emergency descent to follow target." The TULSA 13 pilot reported, "It's soon to impact the ground; he is in a descending spiral."[1]

Impact occurred approximately 1713Z, or 1213 local, after a total flight time of 3 hours, 54 minutes, with the aircraft hitting the ground at a nearly supersonic speed and an extreme angle.[6] The Learjet crashed in South Dakota, just outside Mina in Edmunds County, on relatively flat ground and left a crater 42 feet (13 m) long, 21 feet (6.4 m) wide, and 8 feet (2.4 m) deep. None of its components remained intact.[1]

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

wesleywillis posted:

Congratulations! You just invented a new denomination of Scientology..

The one I invented involves humanity being created by aliens taking a poo poo.

No, that's a Stanisław Lem story (Eight Voyage from The Star Diaries, IIRC).

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/Russia_NC/status/1340630527980789760

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/kenhrubin/status/1340957230078676995

https://twitter.com/kenhrubin/status/1340960054934007808

Memento fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 21, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Doesn't that volcano erupt all the time

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://i.imgur.com/GgUlPvS.gifv

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Azhais posted:

Doesn't that volcano erupt all the time

Technically it's been erupting for decades now, but a slow trickle of lava. It erupted in 2018 and there were 100+ foot lava fountains for four months. It's doing the same thing now.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Zopotantor posted:

No, that's a Stanisław Lem story (Eight Voyage from The Star Diaries, IIRC).

Reminds me of Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky brothers. It's the book that Stalker was based on.

A character tries to explain the stuff the aliens left behind with this metaphore:

quote:

A picnic. Picture a forest, a country road, a meadow. Cars drive off the country road into the meadow, a group of young people get out carrying bottles, baskets of food, transistor radios, and cameras. They light fires, pitch tents, turn on the music. In the morning they leave. The animals, birds, and insects that watched in horror through the long night creep out from their hiding places. And what do they see? Old spark plugs and old filters strewn around... Rags, burnt-out bulbs, and a monkey wrench left behind... And of course, the usual mess—apple cores, candy wrappers, charred remains of the campfire, cans, bottles, somebody’s handkerchief, somebody’s penknife, torn newspapers, coins, faded flowers picked in another meadow.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sounds like a hell of a picnic/mechanics’ shop.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

That kind of digging would worry me, explosives remain explosve for really long periods of time. In 2008 a guy in Virginia found a Civil War cannonball, brought it home and proceeded to try to clean it in his driveway. It exploded, killing him. Given the size of WW1 munitions (up to 420mm) and the high dud rate, no loving way would I dig in a WW1 battlefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

kazmeyer posted:

Yeah. Then you think about the flip side of this, like that one golfer whose private jet lost pressure at like 30k and just flew halfway across the US full of dead people until it ran out of fuel. Or that one 747 that had a similar failure and the fighter jets sent to intercept actually saw one of the flight attendants, masked up, trying to get control of the plane before it crashed.

Hypoxia's terrifying. (I'm also morbidly compelled by stories of mountaineering accidents, which is another good way to punch your ticket via lack of breathable air.)

There's a scene in Krakauer's Into Thin Air where just after making it back alive to the lower camp he has a full conversation, complete with direct quotes with someone who, at the exact moment he was having said conversation, was probably nowhere near the camp and actually in extreme distress.

He concludes it by saying that the understands intellectually that the conversation could not possibly have happened, yet to this day he retains full memory of it having happened exactly as he outlined.