Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well that's the Bethesda aesthetic and Obsidian didn't have the time to make all new assets of the Adobe sandstone buildings that the NCR is known for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jamie Faith posted:

I believe the accusation was that Dany Ordinary (who is Todd's co host in Todd in the Shadows' podcast "Song vs. Song" and was also in a ton of older Lindsay Ellis vids) kissed the person against their will at a party. They accused Todd of supporting Dany by having him in their podcast IIRC.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong.

:yikes:

Mr Phillby posted:

Yeah probably as I said I don't know the circumstances. Didn't want to minimize assault, its just we're talking about someone still being friends with someone who is still friends with someone who alegedly assaulted someone and like at a certain point you have accept that people aren't going to sever their friendships completely over what to them is essentially hearsay.

Also like a ton of other creators posted in this thread are friends with and do colabs with Todd. I know Dan was lovely about it itt but like why aren't we on everyone elses case about this?

I dunno sorry if I'm being lovely still. I don't know anything so I'll shutup about it forever now.

Well from what I see here, Dan's only involved because he inserted himself in with his replies in the last thread, and like maybe he does have more context to what is going on but phrasing it the way he did does make it look more like he's saying "Well they won't believe me anyway because everyone always takes the minority's side!!" And there's no context that looks good in.

Archer666 posted:

So he's going to release a video every month now? I recall him tweeting he was going to release something every month from October onwards lol

He said somewhere that he got horribly sick, so apparently some dark specter of misfortune heard him bragging about that.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 20, 2020

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFIs6LsV0a4

Super Eyepatch Wolf has made a fascinating video about the Undertale fan community. I had no idea it was THAT big.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
dangit bobbeh, beat me to it

yeah there's a ridiculous amount of undertale fanworks and there's a variation of the main monster crew in every possible formulation. it's a bit out there.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Undertale is legitimately at the level of the Sonic or MLP fandoms where it has just sprawled out into an unimaginably huge beast that intersects with and incorporates basically any type of fanwork you can imagine.

Like Deltarune is a two hour demo that may never even be completed into a full game and it by itself has more fanworks than a lot of full series.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oh my god. I guess I know why he had less and less to do with the channel.

And speaking of Inspector Gadget, here’s the newest from poparena:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFqzJKxPkOg

An education as always. When I was a kid, DIC always seemed like they made the b-grade cartoons, like the Ghostbusters when they had Dave Coulier as Peter Venkman or the post-movie GI Joe.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Those Mine(crap) and Elmo videos...good god.

Those were from the dark days of the channel when James wasn't around much because he was working on the movie and it was all left in Mike's capable hands. Somehow it survived.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Everybody shut up because its time to learn some sick dishwashing tech!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rBO8neWw04

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I came across this video where a dude ranked all the AI trainers in Pokemon Red by Elo by matching them against each other: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yUPhRJtNJM&hd=1

It's pretty interesting in terms of methodology and just unwrapping how stupid the AI for those games were.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

achillesforever6 posted:

It's amazing how it just barely scratches the surface of NV; it doesn't even go over the DLC (which unfortunately have too much involvement from Avellone)

I like how that's an issue in more than one way these days because, IIRC, they designed the DLC specifically to gently caress with people who played the game in certain ways by doing things like spawning enemies behind you if you were sniping (which is really petty and lovely) or building the enemies with certain stats to be more resistant to popular damage types to basically force people to play them certain ways which I'm never a huge fan of. The DLCs are neat experiences all the same, but I really don't like the whole "well now you have to lose all your gear and do what we want you to" approach most of them took.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Old World Blues is way better than the others.

hbomberguy's video was good as hell and explained why I've been able to play the game so many times despite usually not doing that with games. I did like the dig at FO4 when he said it'd be ridiculous not to build upon the systems and poo poo New Vegas put in place.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Dead money is absolute trash and i have never played it after the first time i completed it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

StealthArcher posted:

Dead money is absolute trash and i have never played it after the first time i completed it.

I did like outsmarting the game and getting a bunch of gold out at the end but apart from that yeah.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I was actually angry enough i left all the gold, locked elijah in and threw away every item i got on the ground to explicitly take nothing from it with me.

Also i didnt play nv for a few weeks after.

Then i came back, played owb and was happy again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And then I went on a vacation to Zion with a pair of Mormon extremists to hunt radioactive grizzly bears.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Dead Money is the best DLC out of the four fight me. :colbert:

I like Honest Hearts and appreciate how much side content there is, but I wish the main quest were longer and that you can never go back after finishing it sucks because it's a cool area that feels ripe for exploring. OWB really only has the incredible VA performances and clever writing for the Think Tank + Mobius going for it and otherwise it's a big, grey crater that doesn't have much interesting to explore outside of a handful of weird areas. Lonesome Road is a long, boring corridor shooter where you occasionally have Avellone's requisite mouthpiece character call you up on the radio to whine about you picking a faction you never actually picked and tell you how sick Avellone is of the universe stagnating.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Hey online creators thread, has anyone heard anything on the horn about this years Spacey Christmas vid? Is it delayed due to Covid or something?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SimonChris posted:

Super Eyepatch Wolf has made a fascinating video about the Undertale fan community. I had no idea it was THAT big.

Its original outgrowth was from the Homestuck community, a collective that had at that point nearly a decade's experience in creating their own fan characters, comics, music, alternate universe settings, fan games, fanfics, and memes, so it was kind of inevitable that this would befall Undertale as well given Toby Fox's standing in the Homestuck community and his direct relationship to Andrew Hussie himself.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Sydin posted:

Lonesome Road is a long, boring corridor shooter where you occasionally have Avellone's requisite mouthpiece character call you up on the radio to whine about you picking a faction you never actually picked and tell you how sick Avellone is of the universe stagnating.

I hated that it tried to force a backstory onto the protagonist right at the last second, when they didn't need one and when it was far too late to actually establish anything and make said backstory interesting. Instead we just got some typical crap right out of the Bethesda playbook where someone is trying to launch a nuke because according to Bethesda it's not Fallout if it doesn't end with a nuke going off.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's not really a backstory in the strictest sense. You delivered something in the past and moved on unless I'm forgetting something. You also didn't know what the platinum chip you were delivering was and it got you "killed" and set off the whole game.

I thought the point of Lonesome Road was you had no idea what happened or what you'd "done" because it was a just a seemingly inconsequential delivery job you'd done.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bakeneko posted:

Instead we just got some typical crap right out of the Bethesda playbook where someone is trying to launch a nuke because according to Bethesda it's not Fallout if it doesn't end with a nuke going off.

Like a lot of New Vegas it draws on Van Buren which would have ended with the player choosing which places got nuked.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

SimonChris posted:

More than the color palette, my main problem with the Fallout aesthetic is that everything has to be so grimy and run-down all the time, even though it's supposed to be generations after the apocalypse. Even in supposedly wealthy areas, people still live in filthy rooms with cracked walls, paint peeling off, etc. Why don't people clean their homes and give the walls a fresh coat of paint? It makes no sense.

Yeah this is pretty annoying, does anyone know of a good mod that fixes this?

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's not really a backstory in the strictest sense. You delivered something in the past and moved on unless I'm forgetting something. You also didn't know what the platinum chip you were delivering was and it got you "killed" and set off the whole game.

I thought the point of Lonesome Road was you had no idea what happened or what you'd "done" because it was a just a seemingly inconsequential delivery job you'd done.

Well, yeah, the character may not have known about it at the time but it's still this hugely important incident that only gets brought up at the very end of the final dlc. It feels tacked-on, designed to force in some extra drama, and it just isn't a very compelling story to begin with.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQxOLpkRWzw
Started laughing like crazy before they even started.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hbomberguy's New Vegas video is very good. The 84 MC score joke was great. I never did play the DLC so I should give it a whirl. Time to take a gander at the modding topic and see what to get.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Sydin posted:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQxOLpkRWzw
Started laughing like crazy before they even started.

It's always great when Rich gets revenge on Mike for the way Mike treats him. Rich knows where to hit Mike where it hurts :allears:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Groovelord Neato posted:

It’s still a ton more than in the base game, where the backstory you’re given amounts to “you are a courier who was hired to deliver the Platinum Chip and got shot over it.” Everything else is left up to you including how long you have been a Courier, where you came from, what the job means to you, and so on.

Then at the eleventh hour Lonesome Road comes along and is like no, you’re THIS courier and you ran this VERY SPECIFIC AND IMPORTANT route and you made this FATEFUL DELIVERY and yadda yadda ya. It’s easy enough to ignore, but it just seems so odd to me that they would do that after giving you such an open-ended start and then not addressing your backstory at all for the entire base game and three DLCs. Very strnage choice.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
My ranks for Fallout New Vegas DLC is:
Honest Hearts (because I spent 3 months in Utah working in the conservation corps hoping to end up in Zion, but ended up in Bryce, though after I was done my parents did take me to Zion while we stayed a week in Vegas)
Dead Money (Love the characters and the background and the Holorifle; I can never kill Dean even though objectively he is a horrible horrible person)
OWB (again love the characters and dialogue)
Lonesome Road (just bored with it)

For Main New Vegas really wish there was a way to do Kings and Followers ending (not independent); hell that's another thing hbomb missed, the two best factions in the game!

Also for something completely different;
I've been thinking how intoxicating it is to get to get in those online youtube/podcast/streaming bubbles, because it seems so attainable to contact these folks to get on their stuff. I guess it comes from how back in the CA days I somehow got involved in Lordkat's justin.tv stream and there is something about how having access to that kind of circle of people when you don't have a social life whatsoever becomes addicting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Old World Blues is way better than the others.

hbomberguy's video was good as hell and explained why I've been able to play the game so many times despite usually not doing that with games. I did like the dig at FO4 when he said it'd be ridiculous not to build upon the systems and poo poo New Vegas put in place.

i liked zion more but old world blues is also fun. dead money has really cool themes and ideas but mechanically it sorta sucks.

Groovelord Neato posted:

and that breaks Ulysses brain even more because he wants to understand how history works or something. i used the missile to kill the poo poo out of more legion fuckheads.

Sydin posted:

Lonesome Road is a long, boring corridor shooter where you occasionally have Avellone's requisite mouthpiece character call you up on the radio to whine about you picking a faction you never actually picked and tell you how sick Avellone is of the universe stagnating.

i always put the whole "fallout stagnating and society level difference" to which got hit by the most nukes. SW got hit by some but Vegas avoided it because house stuff and the west coast/NCR is functioning small US which got by because it had mostly better vaults and poo poo and were able to rebuild. the east coast got loving leveled and the vaults were mostly wacky dumb poo poo. so its mostly small enclaves and towns and dead wastes, bigger powers try to come in and take poo poo. etc.

i am talking in universe reasons, reality is Bethesda doesn't fully understand what made the first games click and just settled on oblivion with guns with retro futrism, there are some cool small stories and ideas and i think 4 has some cool ideas but maybe we will get a NV 2 now that Microsoft is trying to buy good games/ips now instead of making them.

also hot take, i liked outer worlds though i wish it had been more new vegas like.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 21, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I very much appreciate that, while he did get some digs in there, it stayed focused on why New Vegas is cool and good and not why Fallout 3/4 are bad. I guess it helps that he already talked for 2~ hours about Fallout 3 already. He even gave some (minor) praise to 3! And acknowledged that Bethesda's overall design approach isn't inherently invalid! :monocle:

It did put me in the mood to play some NV. But I'm dreading needing to faff around with mods to get it working and stable, even if it's relatively straightforward. Also I still need to finish 4 first...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SimonChris posted:

I don't think I cared for this one. SEW lets his enthusiasm for the game get in the way of his point.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The correct way to play Bethesda games is:
Years 0-6 post release - play as much as you want
Year 7 - reinstall vanilla to finally finish the campaign
Year 8 - finish the campaign
Year 9+ - install and configure mods. Zero actual playtime.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I really like the dlcs because its all messy little personal stories that never quite resolve while the main campaign is all big decisive geopolitics. lonesome road in particular is basically just a guy trying to make you stop and think about how youve been forest gumping through world history without a care for the last 100 hours

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 21, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

John Murdoch posted:

It did put me in the mood to play some NV. But I'm dreading needing to faff around with mods to get it working and stable, even if it's relatively straightforward. Also I still need to finish 4 first...

This'll be wild considering I posted my Steam screenshot where I have almost 200 hours played - I've never used mods.

achillesforever6 posted:

For Main New Vegas really wish there was a way to do Kings and Followers ending (not independent); hell that's another thing hbomb missed, the two best factions in the game!

My two problems were ignoring those factions (Kings being the best) and not mentioning the best vault - the Lottery one.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 21, 2020

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

StealthArcher posted:

I hated it the first time but every time I replay it I love it more and more and now it's my favorite of the DLCs. Its challenging in the best way imo

Sydin posted:

:yeah:

Groovelord Neato posted:

I hated this at first, but then fuckin fallout 4 forces you to be straight with a spouse and kid. Now, just saying "hey once you delivered a package here a long time ago" doesn't seem like a big deal to me as far as forcing stuff on your character goes.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Why do they key doing that poo poo in games with player created characters?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

SimonChris posted:

More than the color palette, my main problem with the Fallout aesthetic is that everything has to be so grimy and run-down all the time, even though it's supposed to be generations after the apocalypse. Even in supposedly wealthy areas, people still live in filthy rooms with cracked walls, paint peeling off, etc. Why don't people clean their homes and give the walls a fresh coat of paint? It makes no sense.

When they make stuff pretty in the fallout engine it all looks like lego.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bakeneko posted:

I hated that it tried to force a backstory onto the protagonist right at the last second, when they didn't need one and when it was far too late to actually establish anything and make said backstory interesting. Instead we just got some typical crap right out of the Bethesda playbook where someone is trying to launch a nuke because according to Bethesda it's not Fallout if it doesn't end with a nuke going off.

The thing too is it was as simple to fix as giving the player a consistent option of saying "I have no loving clue what you're talking about and you have the wrong guy", which IIRC you can kinda say at first but gets dropped after the Divide reveal. Letting you roleplay as somebody with a completely different backstory who is clueless at the one Ulysses is trying to thrust on you both preserves player role playing and still feeds into Ulysses' issues of needing someone to pin the blame of what he sees as the failure of the wasteland on.

Ghostlight posted:

Year 9+ - install and configure mods. Zero actual playtime.

Earlier this year I spend the better part of 2-3 days installing mods, generating LoD's, tweaking ENB settings, and getting everything right for Skyrim, and then playing maybe an hour of it before remembering I why I stopped playing the last time and uninstalled all of it. :shepicide:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also hot take, i liked outer worlds though i wish it had been more new vegas like.

Outer Worlds was a perfectly competent loot and shooter, nothing really stood out to me about it though. It doesn't really have anything interesting to say, the party members are pretty flat and what depth they do have gets explored and dropped incredibly quickly, and the combat works and is fun but also lacking in depth or meaningful challenge. From what I understand though the game was more of a proof of concept to investors that Obsidian still had it after all their financial troubles a few years ago, and through that lens it makes me excited about what's to come from them in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Groovelord Neato posted:

This'll be wild considering I posted my Steam screenshot where I have almost 200 hours played - I've never used mods.

I am strictly talking about the stuff that makes the game not run out of memory and crash and a basic bug fix fan patch. Unless the need for those has been overexaggerated?

I've never fallen down that "install 100 mods to completely reinvent the game and then never play it" rabbit hole.