Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Crusader posted:

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1340286032667930624?s=21

looking forward to getting run over by the walmart delivery droid

i'm looking forward to my new truck :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

There is a small test fleet of driverless cabs in Shenzhen, China now as well. This different from previous tests because there are no backup drivers whatsoever. You summon the cab with your app and a completely empty vehicle pulls up.
https://twitter.com/LionbridgeAI/status/1339454028649025539?s=20

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Today I saw a Tesla pull into a McDonald's.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
tesla drivers have kids too

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

DELETE CASCADE posted:

tesla drivers are kids too

ftfy

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

i will force the AI to watch me gratify myself in increasingly obscene ways until it is only capable of crying

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Call Your Grandma posted:

i will force the AI to watch me gratify myself in increasingly obscene ways until it is only capable of crying

at least the ai won’t have terrifying PTSD, unlike facebook content moderators...

wait can AI get PTSD?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

DarkEuphoria posted:

at least the ai won’t have terrifying PTSD, unlike facebook content moderators...

wait can AI get PTSD?

Chatbots can develop it, so why not?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

https://instagram.fybz1-1.fna.fbcdn...66c9e3fba995f16

https://instagram.fybz1-1.fna.fbcdn...29126c37ed15136

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

DarkEuphoria posted:

wait can AI get PTSD?

humanity can inflict suffering on anything

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Self driving corpse eating robots that serve as morgues imo

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

T-man posted:

you know i feel like self driving trains would be a way better starting point for the tech rather than cars. maybe a self driving boat that can do trans atlantic trips

What’s funny (not really funny) is that this tech already exists for trains and would have prevented at least two pretty serious accidents if Amtrak hadn’t decided against using it due to cost

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

The Stanford vaccine algorithm worked perfectly. It gave them a fig leaf to cover up what they were going to do anyway - getting the vaccine to administrators/executives and senior physicians while leaving their indentured servants, nurses and other disposable employees liable to exposure.

You don't need an algorithm to figure out who gets the vaccine. My hospital managed it fine. You just ask one question - Is a physician, nurse or other employee such as radiology, respiratory therapy, housekeeping or transport working either in the Emergency Department or on a dedicated COVID unit? Well they are first in line for the vaccine. Maybe our administration got it too, I wouldn't be surprised, but if so doesn't seem at the expense of anyone actually at risk.

Rhandhali has issued a correction as of 15:33 on Dec 20, 2020

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rhandhali posted:

The Stanford vaccine algorithm worked perfectly.

I mean, at this point I just assume that everyone knows algorithm is synonyms with alibi.

Any time someone uses the word, all they mean is "we want to do a bad thing and not get blamed for it."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Algorithm did it, can’t get mad.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

It is important to know the following is also an algorithm.

1. More for me
2. gently caress you

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
3 GOTO 1

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Yes, sir, 2 dollars. Please, there are others in line

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Rhandhali posted:

The Stanford vaccine algorithm worked perfectly. It gave them a fig leaf to cover up what they were going to do anyway - getting the vaccine to administrators/executives and senior physicians while leaving their indentured servants, nurses and other disposable employees liable to exposure.

You don't need an algorithm to figure out who gets the vaccine. My hospital managed it fine. You just ask one question - Is a physician, nurse or other employee such as radiology, respiratory therapy, housekeeping or transport working either in the Emergency Department or on a dedicated COVID unit? Well they are first in line for the vaccine. Maybe our administration got it too, I wouldn't be surprised, but if so doesn't seem at the expense of anyone actually at risk.

I have several friends who are physicians at different hospitals, and every one of them said upper management and department heads got it first. One of the hospitals also tried to push blame onto an "algorithm".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Penalty for questioning the algorithm is a paddling.

edit: number of strokes to be determined fairly by the algorithm

withak has issued a correction as of 18:10 on Dec 20, 2020

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Kuala Lumpur is a really pretty city filled with interesting and awesome people and if you ever get the chance to go you should. I'll probably go there again if they ever let Americans in their borders (I don't blame them if they permanently restrict us tho)

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

algorithms are a force of nature and immutable, not a formula written by people we employ

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
def the_algorithm(bullshit): return bullshit

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Brain Curry posted:

algorithms are a force of nature and immutable, not a formula written by people we employ

explaining algorithms to my starving workers like the network exec explaining the immutable laws of commerce to howard beale

edit: THEY HAVE TAKEN TERABYTES OUT OF THIS COUNTRY AND NOW THEY ARE GOING TO PUT IT BACK

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

DO NOT FOLD SPINDLE OR MUTILATE ME

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

this owns though

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

christmas boots posted:

this owns though

wait, is that a real full length movie? i thought that poster was a photoshop

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

The Nastier Nate posted:

It's only fifteen minutes, because the food is fast and the seduction, even faster.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

always a good sign when the self-drivimg truck company has to explicitly assure people that the trucks are in fact capable of turning left
Didn't UPS or FedEx save some enormous amount of money by eliminating left turns fro delivery routes? I think it's in response to that.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/DylanLathrop/status/1340690817216729089

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

Didn't UPS or FedEx save some enormous amount of money by eliminating left turns fro delivery routes? I think it's in response to that.

that's the excuse, but left turns are also more difficult and dangerous, and I bet a self-drivimg car company is a LOT more concerned about reducing the difficulty of the route than they are about reducing fuel costs

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Main Paineframe posted:

that's the excuse, but left turns are also more difficult and dangerous, and I bet a self-drivimg car company is a LOT more concerned about reducing the difficulty of the route than they are about reducing fuel costs

accidents are expensive so it's not really an excuse.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Call Your Grandma posted:

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

The Nastier Nate posted:

Oh we have such sights to show you :cenobite:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I see...so...I need to get my 9 year old on Hemingway stat, if she's to have any hope of ever comprehending the works of Mitt Romney...

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i am harry posted:

I see...so...I need to get my 9 year old on Hemingway stat, if she's to have any hope of ever comprehending the works of Mitt Romney...

:mitt:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

christmas boots posted:

this owns though

Nah it's the next evolution of the "Wendy from Wendy's has depression just like you! :3:" poo poo. Mildly funny in isolation, horrifying when you realize they're trying to replace independently created pop culture with corporate branded poo poo.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

How quickly we forget Buger King competing with the happy meal by releasing the "IDGAF Meal"
https://twitter.com/shrecknet/status/1124036190561284096?s=19

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Kinda reminds me of nihilist Arby's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

i am harry posted:

You guys all know that reading level is just a measure of sentence complexity and vocabulary, not content - right?