Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The covid response in quite a few states has not been serious from the local governments, but Disney's response has been better than many states. Disney taking things more serious than most of the rest of Florida has helped some people realize the pandemic is real, or at least take it more seriously. I'm on the other end of the country and I've barely left my house since March, but then I hear about what's going on in Florida from families and it's like an entirely different planet over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Disney is at 35% capacity with 4 separate checkpoints to get in and cast members empowered to respond to people unmasking. There’s probably no other business remaining open with as many restrictions as they have.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

Disney is at 35% capacity with 4 separate checkpoints to get in and cast members empowered to respond to people unmasking. There’s probably no other business remaining open with as many restrictions as they have.

I'm sure that will comfort the 80 year old grandmother who dies from the covid that their son gives them after he catches it on the plane to Orlando because they couldn't wait 6 more months to ride the tea cups.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its too bad the name is edited out because I would just send that post to guest services so they get blacked out on entry

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jose Valasquez posted:

I'm sure that will comfort the 80 year old grandmother who dies from the covid that their son gives them after he catches it on the plane to Orlando because they couldn't wait 6 more months to ride the tea cups.

So the problem isn’t actually Disney, it’s the airlines?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

People would be less inclined to use airlines to fly to Orlando if Disney were closed. Disney and Universal are the driving forces of tourism in those areas. They shouldn't be giving people incentives to act in an unsafe way.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

The problem is a lack of a safety net that would allow businesses to close while people were still getting paid, so that they could eat and pay rent. Absent that, places need to stay open in order to generate revenue, putting them in an impossible position. If a place is open but no one goes, it’ll close anyway, so they’ll do what they can to keep people safe

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

Replace "on the plane to Orlando" with "during dinner at Be Our Guest" and it is still true

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The only positive to Disney being open is that cast members (that weren't laid off) still have a paycheck since our government (especially state) don't give a poo poo, but there's really no way to frame traveling there as a guest as anything but selfish and dangerous to yourself and others.

California cast members are much better off given the unemployment support they get and Disneyland isn't a vector for spreading so they're not at personal risk and tourists there aren't killing grandpa back home.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

because my endless concern for the general population needs to be shaking constantly

I like you but you were literally advertising to try to get people to go during a pandemic so I dunno. That kinda feels like telling folks that they should go because there's good deals.

:yeah:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bottom Liner posted:

The only positive to Disney being open is that cast members (that weren't laid off) still have a paycheck since our government (especially state) don't give a poo poo, but there's really no way to frame traveling there as a guest as anything but selfish and dangerous to yourself and others.

California cast members are much better off given the unemployment support they get and Disneyland isn't a vector for spreading so they're not at personal risk and tourists there aren't killing grandpa back home.

Disney could almost certainly afford to close the parks and keep paying everyone their salaries (probably for many years, really - they were sitting on, like, $20bn in cash at a recent earnings report, and their stock price is somehow higher than it was a year ago), but that might make Number Go Down and we can't have that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Boxman posted:

Disney could almost certainly afford to close the parks and keep paying everyone their salaries (probably for many years, really - they were sitting on, like, $20bn in cash at a recent earnings report, and their stock price is somehow higher than it was a year ago), but that might make Number Go Down and we can't have that.

If you compare the park division’s operating costs to its gross profit, more than 50% of their gross goes back into paying operating costs. You also would have no choice but to maintain a crew to keep the parks and resorts cleaned and maintained because they would crumble to the point of needing full refurbishment or replacement otherwise. poo poo surprisingly gets a lot more complicated the more you know beyond Twitter hot takes about capitalism!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So how bad would it be to go to Hollywood studios say Monday the 28th? I’ve had Covid and fully recovered so I’m ok, at least for a little bit.
Is it going to be a poo poo show or will it be fine to roam around Star Wars land and maybe get on Rise?

I’m debating it.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

If you compare the park division’s operating costs to its gross profit, more than 50% of their gross goes back into paying operating costs. You also would have no choice but to maintain a crew to keep the parks and resorts cleaned and maintained because they would crumble to the point of needing full refurbishment or replacement otherwise. poo poo surprisingly gets a lot more complicated the more you know beyond Twitter hot takes about capitalism!

You can do this without tourists and the non-essential staff in the park :ssh:

Disneyland proves that

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

CelticPredator posted:

So how bad would it be to go to Hollywood studios say Monday the 28th? I’ve had Covid and fully recovered so I’m ok, at least for a little bit.
Is it going to be a poo poo show or will it be fine to roam around Star Wars land and maybe get on Rise?

I’m debating it.

the week between Xmas and New Years is the worst

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

I’m debating it.

I’ve been many times. It’s fine and probably safer than your normal errands. Everyone is forced to be masked and not take them off unless moving away from people to eat or drink while stationary. There’s been no Disney outbreaks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

To clarify, my mother and I spent months going out to theme parks, bars, restaurants, and other businesses that had firm rules for masks and distancing and enforced them. Neither us nor the staff we knew ever caught covid from being present there. We caught it because one coworker who refused to wear a mask anywhere and congregated at parties was briefly near us when we were both unmasked for a few minutes. Being around people with masks in public and stepping away from them to eat or drink has a pretty minimal chance of infecting you or anyone else, while being unmasked around family and friends is much worse.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Operating costs go down quickly when you're not operating. This entire situation is happening because of one reason and one reason only: the utter failure of our federal and state governments to do anything about Covid. It's not that complicated. Disney would survive just fine if they were forced to shutdown and the government took serious action for 2-4 weeks.

chitoryu12 posted:

There’s been no Disney outbreaks.

This is utterly impossible to know and disingenuous to claim. Florida is far beyond the point of contact tracing being possible, doubly so at places where thousands are gathering. Yes, it may be safer than a grocery store outside, but it is not 100% safe and there are still a lot of inside places where you're more crowded than a grocery store. It's a simple numbers game at a certain point, and even 35% capacity Disney is far beyond that.

There have absolutely been plenty of reports of people going to Disney and getting home with Covid. It doesn't matter if they were on a plane, in a car, or just locals in the parks, they got it because they went to Disney. That might not be enough to hold Disney liable if that were even a thing, but it's enough to blame the person for choosing to travel to Disney during a pandemic.

chitoryu12 posted:

one coworker who refused to wear a mask anywhere and congregated at parties was briefly near us when we were both unmasked for a few minutes.

being unmasked around family and friends is much worse.

Both of these things happen constantly at Disney restaurants. Even outside seating I've seen at Springs has groups too close together all unmasked.

You can give Disney credit for taking precautions seriously without going overboard about the safety of a trip to Disney

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 21, 2020

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

There’s been no Disney outbreaks.

There is no possible way to know this.

Contact tracing in the US is a complete joke, and DeSantis is arresting people for reporting about covid in Florida.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

chitoryu12 posted:

I’ve been many times. It’s fine and probably safer than your normal errands.

people are knowingly going to Disney while infected. there's just no way spending a week with thousands and thousands of people is safer than getting curbside groceries

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

quote:

The first week back, two sources familiar with the situation told The Daily Beast, one worker went home sick. He had come back to work, only to find—after getting tested on his own time—that he had caught the virus from a relative. Two sources told The Daily Beast that Disney did not confirm the positive case until the following Monday, letting a week lapse before his co-workers knew they may have been exposed.

plus you know, months of this kinda thing

I know of 2 cases at AK where the rest of their coworkers were not informed, tested, etc. They only know because the cast members told them out of fear of exposing them all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

alg posted:

people are knowingly going to Disney while infected. there's just no way spending a week with thousands and thousands of people is safer than getting curbside groceries

Or even if you went to the store you’re spending an hour max, vs disney where you’re spending all day there. Most people don’t have those pass holder things so they have to be there all day to justify the cost.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Those people are being paid to do their job regardless, right? It isn't like DLR is getting reclaimed by nature. But not opening to the public obviously prevents those people from coming in, and just as importantly, all the knock on effects from induced travel.

I dunno what my point is, really. I was responding to the idea that Disney had to reopen to keep paying its people, which is technically false but pragmatically true; paying employees to not work for an indeterminate period would probably provoke a shareholder revolt. I just get sad and angry when circumstances remind me that this thing I have emotions for doesn't actually have emotions itself. Its just another big dumb animal acting on the one instinct.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

To chime in with one point from the other coast: There are dozens of hotels and restaurants around Disneyland that are probably on the brink of croaking because of the parks being closed. Not really taking a side other than to say: COVID bad.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
As much as I like seeing activity in this thread, can we call a cease fire on the covid talk because we clearly have two different fronts here that will never see eye to eye on it.

This thread gets super tense everytime this topic comes up and I don't think anything gets resolved aside from people getting irritated.

poo poo sucks enough right now without people with common interests tearing each other's throats out.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Flower and Garden dates are out - let’s just dream and talk about violet lemonades and pretty topiaries because those are nice.

March 3 - July 5

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Enjoyed Vero Beach so much that I booked a week in a 1 bedroom for the end of July. It’s the perfect Disney vacation without the insanity of Disney.

Now to destroy all that relaxation I banked by plowing through Universal for 2 days.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea, Vero Beach is great, my Dad retired there and it’s a nice spot to get away from New York for a week.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Imagine if Galaxy’s edge had half the AAs that NintendoLand seems to have.

But also omg NintendoLand seems to have a ton of small enclosed spaces. Sooooo yikes until we are all vaccinated

The thing with the Toads running the restaurant is what they need to do with Pizzarizzo

BlueBayou fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 21, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nintendoland looks really cute but yeah, very small. I hope the Florida one can have more space and more stuff in general.

That said, what's the status of Universal Epic given COVID? Obviously setback a year+ right?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

BlueBayou posted:

Imagine if Galaxy’s edge had half the AAs that NintendoLand seems to have.

The thing with the Toads running the restaurant is what they need to do with Pizzarizzo

In fairness, I don't think Star Wars is as kinetic with random poo poo as the Mushroom Kingdom. The wandering characters are more in line with how I expect a Star Wars world to come alive, but they obviously continue to fall down with the wandering droid thing.

But god yes. Disney's continued slight lack of direction about what to do with The Muppets is one of the funniest and saddest things.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1341081081982947329

Seriously, who is this for? Just put the Muppet Show on Disney+ ffs.

EDIT: Wikipedia says Epic Universe (ugh that name) went from 2023 to 2024 to ???? due to the pandemic.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Nintendoland looks really cute but yeah, very small. I hope the Florida one can have more space and more stuff in general.

That said, what's the status of Universal Epic given COVID? Obviously setback a year+ right?

Epic has been delayed indefinitely. Sadly Universal creative laid off all team members associated with the project.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oof worse than expected but not surprising.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

Wait, their profit margin is this absurdly high even in the parks division? That's an excellent margin if what you're saying is true. This was supposed to be a smartass "own"?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Wait, their profit margin is this absurdly high even in the parks division? That's an excellent margin if what you're saying is true. This was supposed to be a smartass "own"?

I don't think it's possible to perfectly isolate parks but ~15% in a good year is reasonable.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 22, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/courtneysuchart/status/1341169356617740288

:monocle:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Can't wait for a blogger to somehow try and steal one.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

The company has filed construction permits for the Cinderella Castle.

Bring back the castle cake you cowards

...Wait is it castle cake or cake castle

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mario taking over Magic Kingdom since Epic is canned. Princess Peach is our ruler now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

So it’s impossible to get Hagrids. I’ve tried every opening time except 7am because we got here around 830.

Hoping tomorrow I can snag one at 7am for the early park access.