Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Theophany posted:

Bottom line is that the best food comes from Europe (excluding France) and Asia.

Wow, going out on a limb there saying that half the world has the best food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

i hear brexit came early this year

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

your friend wicka posted:

That's right, our food is so good that people routinely eat themselves to death

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

did any other Brits win anything

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

FAUXTON posted:

we won back control of are borders

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Captain Tom Moore won a special award for zimmer framing round his garden for the NHS.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

FAUXTON posted:

a British team won the EPL

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

GramCracker posted:

I'm going to my British friend's place for dinner tonight. We are having a Shepherds Pie. Thanks for reading.

I bet its a cottage pie made with mince beef rather than minced lamb which would befit a Shepard's pie

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

learnincurve posted:

Captain Tom Moore won a special award for zimmer framing round his garden for the NHS.

Not to be pedantic, but its Major Tom

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Captain Tom is the source of the new covid strain

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Skarsnik posted:

oh yeah lol watching that is gonna own

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Not to be pedantic, but its Major Tom

It's Captain Sir Major Tom actually

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Theophany posted:

Bottom line is that the best food comes from Europe (excluding France) and Asia.

Checo would like a word with you.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Theophany posted:

English cuisine should just be happy with the fact that a fry up with haggis, black pudding and mushy peas owns. Like, it's OK. Its not terrible.

Canada has poutine as its culinary contribution to the world.

The US contribution is diabetes and a TV show called 'My 600lb Life' which is notably not syndicated in a single other country on this planet yet they feel a need to educate everybody on food. :thunk:

I’ve seen ‘My 600lb Life’ on TV in Sweden :colbert:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

learnincurve posted:

Portuguese food is dire if you hate fish, as to a lesser extent is Spain’s.

But morcilla exists

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
england developed covid 10. all the wdc and wcc from that fraudulent country should be revoked imo?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Dirk Pitt posted:

I’ve seen ‘My 600lb Life’ on TV in Sweden :colbert:

We watch hella Dr. Now here in Taiwan, too.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

your friend wicka posted:

That's right, our food is so good that people routinely eat themselves to death

i mean don't more americans die from diarrhea than any other 1st world nation, i guess thats an achivement

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

track day bro! posted:

i mean don't more americans die from diarrhea than any other 1st world nation, i guess thats an achivement

Seems misleading to compare America to first world countries

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

track day bro! posted:

There's absolutely no way this is true

E: oh wait you just mean of all the first worlds, yeah maybe

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Pietro Fittipaldi has updated his Twitter bio to now include Haas F1 Driver.

Could it really have happened? Is meat spin dead?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Custard Undies posted:

old man meatspin is gonna be suing half the FIA at this point

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rest In Piss
Dickeater Meatspin
He never scored
(consensually that is)

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rectal Placenta posted:

Wow, going out on a limb there saying that half the world has the best food

It's the off-season, my takes aren't as sizzling as usual, sorry.

Wait - surströmming is delicious. There ya go.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I paid the $3/month for the F1TV archives access and am working through the 1981 season now and it's interesting. Different cars are appreciably different looking and there's slightly more overtaking than now.

Circuit design seems to be actively hostile to driver, marshal, and spectator safety.

Coverage is pretty meh because the commentators are always scrambling to adjust to the video feed, which changes away from interesting things to irrelevant shots of Nelson Piquet lapping the field. No lap numbers and very infrequent timing graphics. The footage itself is surprisingly good for being 40 year old video.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

France just stopped all travel from UK lol - one nation can never control its borders, that's what borders are for. If you control it the border it isnt a border.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

CancerCakes posted:

France just stopped all travel from UK lol - one nation can never control its borders, that's what borders are for. If you control it the border it isnt a border.

Restricting the freedom of movement was one of the reasons for brexit. They didn't expect it to be used against them.

I don't think I ever want to go back to the UK.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Zeta Acosta posted:

england developed covid 10. all the wdc and wcc from that fraudulent country should be revoked imo?

We honed and refined covid into a sleeker more effective delivery system.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Custard Undies posted:

Haas is truly the gift that keeps on giving. I mean this doesn't top being sponsored by a drink that didn't exist but it's still entertaining.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Jfc the start of the 81 Belgium GP. :stonk:

Edit: these cars slide around a whole lot more, wow

bgreman fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 21, 2020

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Word on the street is that the new strain of COVID comes from Stevenage and is the most #blessed strain, it has 7x WDC and GOAT DNA in it. That's enough to change me into an anti-vaxxer.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

alpine getting government backup by keeping fluis off the grid at every race except silverstone

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

CancerCakes posted:

Yes that was the joke well done

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

bgreman posted:

I paid the $3/month for the F1TV archives access and am working through the 1981 season now and it's interesting. Different cars are appreciably different looking and there's slightly more overtaking than now.

Circuit design seems to be actively hostile to driver, marshal, and spectator safety.

Coverage is pretty meh because the commentators are always scrambling to adjust to the video feed, which changes away from interesting things to irrelevant shots of Nelson Piquet lapping the field. No lap numbers and very infrequent timing graphics. The footage itself is surprisingly good for being 40 year old video.

I had no idea this existed but drat I'm in.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Azza Bamboo posted:

I had no idea this existed but drat I'm in.

The older races basically all have a one hour "In Review" condensed race package. Some also have a misleadingly named "extended highlight" package, which is 20-40 mins. A few of the classic races have the full event available (81 Britain and 81 Vegas for example), which becomes more common as we approach the present. I think all seasons from 2008 on have all races fully available. The "In Review" packages get a lot shorter in later seasons (Australia 2005 is only like 15 mins).

I can't believe how often the marshals just leave retired cars at the trackside, and how there's no safety car, so marshals being passed at speed on the track happens all the time.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm watching USA West RN but I'm aware that, later in this season, a mechanic tries to restart a car on the track and ends up getting sandwiched between it and a car that rear ends it.

At no point before or after the collision do the marshals stop that race. The drivers do it themselves. I only know that because there was a documentary about safety a while back that mentioned how there was a driver walkout in the 81 season over mechanics who got injured/killed.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Yeah that's the Belgium start I referenced. Technically the marshalls did stop the race (despite not having authority to do so) but not until the pack had already passed the mechanic lying in the start straight once. The marshalls basically just flooded the track, waving at the drivers as they came around at the end of the first lap. The drivers waved back but as you said, they stopped at the end of the second lap. The race "clerk" did nothing to stop the race.

The mechanic/driver walkout (which was in response to a mechanic getting run over the day before) happened immediately before the start while cars were on the grid, and minorly contributed to it by delaying and confusing the formation lap. Piquet and some others missed their start boxes and so had to go around again, prompting some drivers on the grid to turn off their engines to prevent overheating. Patrese was one of them and his car refused to start back up, so his mechanic jumped over the wall with the starter to get him going. The race controller started the race anyway and Patrese's own teammate rear-ended him, with the mechanic getting caught in between. He survived, but the mechanic who was run over the day before died the day after the race.

I'd read about the incident before I watched and I expected the footage to be censored but NOPE, so viewer discretion is advised.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 21, 2020

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Quote != edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Watching old races makes me appreciate how much the camerawork and telemetry has come on since 1981. The commentator is carrying this.