Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Platystemon posted:

I found this anecdote while looking looking for the other.

If she expected "the help" to defrost the car before she got in, why would she be walking into an AutoZone herself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Stultus Maximus posted:

If she expected "the help" to defrost the car before she got in, why would she be walking into an AutoZone herself?

She couldn't see out the window to make it home and throw a stapler at the help.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stultus Maximus posted:

She’s not firing on all cylinders.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

She's not actually money.

I'm freshly off a consulting gig where I did executive security for family wealth companies and some OLD US money. They're still around, they're low key as gently caress and the sure as poo poo ain't buying normal consumer goods. Its a completely different world and they spend the equivalent of corporation's entire compliance budgets on staying out of sight and quiet.

I'm not even talking silicon valley stealth billionaires, this is a whole different level of poo poo. Think of the Bass family who have been billionaires for nearly 50 years and their names never, ever come up.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
They are the people whose parties trump would try to crash, and it was not appreciated.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Donnie's pulling the whole MARTIAL LAW IS FAKE NEWS FAKE MEDIA because he saw John Bolton talk about its idiocy on CNN, so it looks like that leak-out served its purpose to get Donnie to pop that trial balloon.

Also, word is out that Toomey dropped/modified his dumb Federal Reserve emergency loan requirement, so lots of noises that a COVID deal and omnibus will be out later today (Sunday).

That all could've gone worse!

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

facialimpediment posted:

Donnie's pulling the whole MARTIAL LAW IS FAKE NEWS FAKE MEDIA because he saw John Bolton talk about its idiocy on CNN, so it looks like that leak-out served its purpose to get Donnie to pop that trial balloon.

Also, word is out that Toomey dropped/modified his dumb Federal Reserve emergency loan requirement, so lots of noises that a COVID deal and omnibus will be out later today (Sunday).

That all could've gone worse!

Flynn literally said it on video that was aired on Fox loving News

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Flynn literally said it on video that was aired on Fox loving News

I'll do you one better, Lin Wood is still on twitter yelling for 7-state martial law to seize voting machines and the MyPillow guy is quote-tweeting him, roughly around the same time as Donnie posted the MARTIAL LAW FAKE NEWS walkback.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Senate hit a deal but it's a loving lovely one.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/republican-democrats-reach-compromise-over-covid-19-stimulus-package-n1251837

quote:

“Now that Democrats have agreed to a version of Sen. Toomey’s important language, we can begin closing out the rest of the package to deliver much-needed relief to families, workers, and businesses,” a spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., told NBC News.

And further down

quote:

“This agreement rescinds more than $429 billion in unused CARES Act funds; definitively ends the CARES Act lending facilities by Dec. 31, 2020; stops these facilities from being restarted and forbids them from being duplicated without congressional approval," Kelly added. "This agreement will preserve Fed independence and prevent Democrats from hijacking these programs for political and social policy purposes."

Democrats, on the other hand, said the new language was a concession to Toomey and his GOP allies.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Old money lives in an entirely different world than us. We may as well not even be in the same country. Like it’s hard to put into words how vastly different their experiences and outlook on things are.

The lifetime earnings of a working class person are spent on frivolous purchases, like a days entertainment. They can’t even understand a world where they don’t have the power and resources they wield.

I wasn’t a leftist until I started working for the incredibly wealthy. Sure, I was on a leftward trend, but watching a person who was rationing insulin have to do low paying physical labor for someone who could give them a lifetime supply and not even notice the effect, stuck with me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Richard Bong posted:

Sure, I was on a leftward trend, but watching a person who was rationing insulin have to do low paying physical labor for someone who could give them a lifetime supply and not even notice the effect, stuck with me.

No, see, when they're 'generous' with a servant, they do something that THEY believe is generous, like gift them a watch they never really liked. A watch that might be worth five digits and technically needs to be declared to the tax man, especially if they plan on selling it.

Also, don't forget this "said the quiet part out loud" episode from 2010: https://www.politico.com/story/2010/01/sc-lt-gov-poor-like-stray-animals-031959

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What the hell is seizing the voting machines even supposed to accomplish? The electors have made their votes, so what does it matter? Why are these people so obsessed with a loving loser who doesn't give a poo poo about them?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Leavemywife posted:

Why are these people so obsessed with a loving loser who doesn't give a poo poo about them?

Trump makes assholes feel better about themselves. The lovely opinionated uncle at Thanksgiving who waits the entire year to spew his "now I'm not a racist, BUT" bile. Karens. Small business owners who revile their employees because they have to pay them what the government requires them to. He's what they aspire to be - a piece of poo poo that always seems to fall upward despite all the "haters," and even though everyone hopes/wishes he'd just shut the gently caress up, he never does, and everyone HAS to listen to him, whether they like it or not.

And at the farthest fringe of the spectrum of Trump supporters are the sort who see in him their path to relevance. The sort who'd happily be tower guards in "relocation" camps, or ICE deputies. His fascist leanings offer them a societal stepping stool the same way Hitler did to guys like Eichmann and Himmler.

As for the yes-men (and women) catering to Trump's Twitter delusions...why wouldn't they? They can't *all* get jobs with FNC, Newsmax, and OANN when this is all over. Might as well place a few bucks on the *chance* he might stage a coup!

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 20, 2020

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Leavemywife posted:

What the hell is seizing the voting machines even supposed to accomplish? The electors have made their votes, so what does it matter? Why are these people so obsessed with a loving loser who doesn't give a poo poo about them?

It's a (dumb, underpants gnomey) play to flip Congressional Senators on January 6th, when Congress meets to officially count up the electors' votes. If a Representative and Senator both object to a state's elector slate (like for fraud), both chambers meet and have to vote to toss or keep the state's slate of electors. At worst, if the House/Senate split, the Governor's slate of electors (ie the state electors) count.

It's idiotic because an objection won't pass the house and McConnell and co have stated they'll kill it. BUT BUT, if Donnie gets to examine the voting machines, he can prove the voter fraud which means he wins!!!!!

They basically want to seize the machines to then immediately make a WE LOOKED, THERE'S FRAUD, DONNIE BEST PRESIDENT WINS statement to throw at Republican senators. They did a variant of this already when Trumpers got access to a Michigan county's machines, slung some bullshit that the counts were wrong, then a county paper recount found no problems. The Trumpers lied.

https://twitter.com/JocelynBenson/status/1339684332718440448

It's all dumb and bad, but Donnie is only listening to dumb and bad people at this point. There's a reason why everyone else has conceded at this point.

GB3Pwood
Sep 13, 2004
Insult Swordfighter

stealie72 posted:

"Stay frosty, space guardian"

This is actually a grave insult in the Space Force community.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

It's all dumb and bad, but Donnie is only listening to dumb and bad people at this point. There's a reason why everyone else has conceded at this point.

And yet, he's still the head of the Executive Branch of the US Government. My butt isn't unclenching until his punk rear end has been punted clear of The Mall.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

GB3Pwood posted:

“How dare you! Guardian First Class Gomez froze to death on Titan securing much needed liquid hydrocarbons for the DuPont corporation! Show some respect!”

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

Because he is trying to enact a coup and doing anything and everything he can to make the election seem illegitimate?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

GB3Pwood posted:

:thurman:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

The funny thing is that a way more appropriate name for Space Force would have been 'operator' (since they're largely sitting at a terminal operating satellites in orbit), but then the SOF community would have gotten all butthurt.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nerds...also how long till someone makes a penis shaped variant?

https://twitter.com/spaceforcedod/status/1340702277103984641?s=21

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Platystemon posted:

She’s not firing on all cylinders.

:golfclap:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Nerds...also how long till someone makes a penis shaped variant?

https://twitter.com/spaceforcedod/status/1340702277103984641?s=21

I'm sure it was done before they even thought to sell the candles.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
A plastic candle seems like a questionable choice, but I'll admit I'm not big into candle culture.

Open flames in space also seem questionable.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Godholio posted:

A plastic candle seems like a questionable choice, but I'll admit I'm not big into candle culture.

I didn't snap on "print your own" lol

And they don't sell swag for other branches that would be questionable to take on deployment?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

https://youtu.be/exq0CIA_xCg

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1340730721057517569?s=20

Fresh off the old money v new money talk, what administration officials say you should do v what they do. And, yes, this isn't just the federal administration doing this

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nick Soapdish posted:

Fresh off the old money v new money talk, what administration officials say you should do v what they do. And, yes, this isn't just the federal administration doing this

lmao good luck trying to weasel a job in the next administration you dumb fucker.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Nick Soapdish posted:

From the article:

quote:

Members of Birx’s family from two different households were in attendance, the Associated Press reported on Sunday: her husband, daughter, son-in-law, and two grandchildren. Birx told the AP that she did not travel for the purpose of celebrating the holiday, but was there for the “winterization of the property before a potential sale.” She also argued that everyone there was in her “immediate household,” while acknowledging that they lived in different homes.

This gets back to a basic failure of communication throughout the pandemic where there needs to be very basic info conveyed to the public but in the same breath it gets so watered down and catered to the lowest common denominator. Treating adults like children and saying "You must stay home!" Instead of an honest explanation of how spreading a pandemic works and how you need to create a bubble and not link to other isolated bubbles. It's fine if you have a small group of people you see regularly (I wish I had a bubble, haven't seen friends of any type in months). Instead we have this gotcha bullshit where her bubble is her kids and grandkids and the optics of going to your vacation home are just bad even if it's safe.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/HaidarAkarar/status/1340757179259904003?s=20

Nice to see the Green Zone festive this time of year

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Midjack posted:

lmao good luck trying to weasel a job in the next administration you dumb fucker.

The mayor of Denver had a similar excuse. It’s not a good look no matter what her “bubble” is. So many people latch on to this behavior to explain why they think everyone in government is lying to them.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 20, 2020

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

a doctor in charge of this knows drat well what a household means

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This is also the same logic people use when justifying their own special holiday trip. Theirs is different because they’re being careful, unlike everyone else.

And here I am like a loving idiot shutting out my entire family and social life when apparently I don’t need to.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

She's in good company - there have been a ton of high level health officials globally that have done the same

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/houseinsession/status/1340760617251168260?s=21

Oh man it would be hilarious to be a fly on the wall for that.

Also along with airlines they closed down the Chunnel and apparently for cargo and not just passengers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Hey Britain wanted to go oo-rah-rah we don't need you EU and then act like a sad sack when consequences happen.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Man SIGs must be so happy that there's finally a corp/group nerdier than they are

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Hey Britain wanted to go oo-rah-rah we don't need you EU and then act like a sad sack when consequences happen.
That said the EU and open borders didn’t exactly have a great year themselves with lots of countries cutting off other EU members pretty quickly.

Goes without saying, but I’ll say it, closing borders wasn’t inappropriate or wrong, but just counter to the whole open borders and such.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

My doomscrolling on Twitter has suggested that some sort of agreement has been made between House and Senate Leadership regarding the second stimulus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

SquirrelyPSU posted:

My doomscrolling on Twitter has suggested that some sort of agreement has been made between House and Senate Leadership regarding the second stimulus.

I need an excuse to post this, so here is my analysis of the procedure that has led to this (likely pretty good!) deal:

https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1340800937905037312