Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MJBuddy posted:

What you'd want to see for "huge" success:

Maybe in the real world, there are a few intermediate points between 'flop' and "huge" success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I'm just annoyed that the only new half-life thing in a decade and a half is locked behind super expensive hardware. Frankly if I'm going to be shelling out a bunch of money it'll be to upgrade my main display, that gets a lot more use.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Turin Turambar posted:

Maybe in the real world, there are a few intermediate points between 'flop' and "huge" success.

And everyone here keeps throwing out these terms despite them being incredibly ill-defined, so trying to put some actual measurements to the statements.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

This year's Quake Xmas Jam is out. Merry shootin!

https://twitter.com/ComradeBeep/status/1340729218552848385?s=19

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Just realised that in a few days Doom and Quake will enter their fourth decade of still having amazingly cool custom content made on the reg.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Happy 40th anniversary Doom and Quake. :woop:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
4 decades is almost half a century.

In a few more years Doom will be almost a hundred years old.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Doom and quake were made in the last millennium, so really, like, they're a million years old

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Doom is up there with classic NES games with being regularly played by a lot of people. Good controls and movement is the key I think.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever tried a Doom port on NES?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

Doom is up there with classic NES games with being regularly played by a lot of people. Good controls and movement is the key I think.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever tried a Doom port on NES?

It was cheated by putting a Pi in a cartridge. There's no way to do it "normally" since the NES doesn't have anywhere the RAM or processing power required.

Here's how they (one guy) did it for SNES:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqP3ZzWiul0

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 20, 2020

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm gonna play some Quake

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

VR is more accessible than PC gaming, given that the most affordable (and arguably best) VR headset doesn't even require a PC. Its $299, you don't need much space (just enough to be able to wave your arms around in all directions while sitting/standing) and most of the bigger games have gotten native Quest ports, or will get them eventually.

PCVR will likely continue being fairly niche, but the standalone VR market is rapidly expanding. Facebook can't make enough of the things, they keep selling out.

A lot of the conceptions people have about VR in this thread are years old, things have changed a lot.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

VR is more accessible than PC gaming, given that the most affordable (and arguably best) VR headset doesn't even require a PC. Its $299, you don't need much space (just enough to be able to wave your arms around in all directions while sitting/standing) and most of the bigger games have gotten native Quest ports, or will get them eventually.

PCVR will likely continue being fairly niche, but the standalone VR market is rapidly expanding. Facebook can't make enough of the things, they keep selling out.

A lot of the conceptions people have about VR in this thread are years old, things have changed a lot.

To the point where if Sony does do a PSVR 2 it would have to be standalone to be competitive.

I only have a PSVR and I love it, even with its limitations and ancient technology.

A lot of my friends have a Quest now though. At $299 it’s cheaper than most cell phones. I’m excited to see where VR ends up in the next 5 years now that it’s standalone.

https://youtu.be/wpkKU7RJyLM

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 20, 2020

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Convex posted:

Just realised that in a few days Doom and Quake will enter their fourth decade of still having amazingly cool custom content made on the reg.

i've been chunking through ar luminae recently, one of the maps included in the cacowards, and the weapons and monsters in that are just another in a long line of custom mods that blow my mind in terms of how fun they are compared to literally like 75% of the modern shooters that have come out in however many recent years. i don't even mean that as a slight against the more modern shooters, more just that the overall gunfeel and variety of the creatures that you blow apart somehow are a cut above despite being free content for a game that is 30+ years old at this point.

it also says a lot about the original run of monsters and weapons in doom 2 that even just vague tweaks to them can result in fun as hell updated versions that hold their weight even in 2020.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

SCheeseman posted:

nothing killed my enthusiasm faster for Occulus faster than Facebook and I will crow about it till the fascists they have emboldened come and drag me from my house

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wamdoodle posted:

nothing killed my enthusiasm faster for Occulus faster than Facebook and I will crow about it till the fascists they have emboldened come and drag me from my house

The original Oculus guy is even worse than Zuck. I'm mad Facebook made him stupid rich rather than just Facebook owning it.

And I don't know if VR is more "accessible" since people in general are more used to stuff like mice and keyboards. Price sure but don't you need a PC for the lower end versions?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Some other goons have mentioned—and I haven’t been following it closely enough to say for certain—that you can’t simply create a new dummy FB account for your oculus either. Sounds like some accounts have been shut down for being made explicitly for that purpose, so I guess the assumption is that you need to have it tied to your actual FB account? Assuming you have one.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Solaris 2.0 posted:

A lot of my friends have a Quest now though. At $299 it’s cheaper than most cell phones. I’m excited to see where VR ends up in the next 5 years now that it’s standalone.

https://youtu.be/wpkKU7RJyLM

A tiny niche, just like now. I think what VR fundamentally is means it will never be more than a small market segment.

SCheeseman posted:

VR is more accessible than PC gaming

Not sure that's true, tons of people have a laptop and then decide to install a game like League of Legends on a device they already own. But even then, people actually being interested in PC gaming is another difference.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 21, 2020

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Groovelord Neato posted:

The original Oculus guy is even worse than Zuck. I'm mad Facebook made him stupid rich rather than just Facebook owning it.

And I don't know if VR is more "accessible" since people in general are more used to stuff like mice and keyboards. Price sure but don't you need a PC for the lower end versions?

Yeah Luckey was/is a piece of work too.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Some other goons have mentioned—and I haven’t been following it closely enough to say for certain—that you can’t simply create a new dummy FB account for your oculus either. Sounds like some accounts have been shut down for being made explicitly for that purpose, so I guess the assumption is that you need to have it tied to your actual FB account? Assuming you have one.

I've seen people say they do have a dummy account or an account with little to no activity without having it banned. It's probably scattershot. Some slip through and some don't.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fame Douglas posted:

A tiny niche, just like now. I think what VR fundamentally is means it will never be more than a small market segment.

If the problem is computing power related, Quest was and is a step forward because phone GPUs and CPUs are still getting more powerful quickly, where PCs have stagnated.

Apple could ship a monster VR headset for ipad prices if they wanted to.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think the fundamental issues are "amount of people willing to strap something to their head and be completely isolated from their surroundings" as well as "tons of people get nauseated from it". Then there's the fact only relatively simplistic types of gameplay seem to be possible in VR.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
VR is the home theater of gaming- yes, it's a better experience within the context of that experience itself, but it also requires a significant investment in time, space, and lifestyle. Video games are not worth that for a whole lot of people, for the same basic reason that while almost everyone likes watching movies, they don't necessarily like to do it by going to the Movie Room and locking the door behind them.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Twerk from Home posted:

If the problem is computing power related, Quest was and is a step forward because phone GPUs and CPUs are still getting more powerful quickly, where PCs have stagnated.

Hey now, just cause we're all still playing 40 year old games doesn't mean PC hardware isn't still moving forward at a decent rate.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
what am i not getting about this doom is 40 poo poo

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Honestly if you just want a VR headset and nothing more, PSVR is a steal. The headset is super comfy, it's sub-$300, and you can get it to work on Steam using iVRy. I was using that for a while before I was able to snag an Index for cheap. It also works well with GZDoom VR if you're looking to play your DOOM with just the headset and KB&M.

VR is super cool, but it's just so drat expensive.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

verbal enema posted:

"Four decades" can be twenty two years, it's just a weird turn of phrase

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

I think the fundamental issues are "amount of people willing to strap something to their head and be completely isolated from their surroundings" as well as "tons of people get nauseated from it". Then there's the fact only relatively simplistic types of gameplay seem to be possible in VR.

People can get nauseated from it, sure, and that is a limiting factor.

But clearly you have not played a VR game recently if you think only simplistic types of gameplay are possible.

In fact it’s hilarious how goons always have to take maximalists (and often wrong) positions.

Position 1) VR is still a niche market, but is still growing and cheaper, standalone headsets like Oculus provide a good path forward for the technology to mature.
Limiting factors like motion sickness and peripherals still need to be ironed out.

This is a reasonable position

Position 2) VR is a failure or is just a gimmick that no one wants.

This is a dumb take that belongs in 2015. It’s 2020 now and it’s clear VR is here to stay.

VR is still a niche at this point, but it is also quickly becoming as accessible as PC gaming and will only become more accessible over the next 5 years.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

verbal enema posted:

It's close to thirty years old and once you get there you're in your fourth decade.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dieting Hippo posted:

Honestly if you just want a VR headset and nothing more, PSVR is a steal. The headset is super comfy, it's sub-$300, and you can get it to work on Steam using iVRy. I was using that for a while before I was able to snag an Index for cheap. It also works well with GZDoom VR if you're looking to play your DOOM with just the headset and KB&M.

VR is super cool, but it's just so drat expensive.

Hence why whoever can get a good quality one that can be sold for sub 150 dollars will be able to rule the market

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Spiderdrake posted:

"Four decades" can be twenty two years, it's just a weird turn of phrase

s
whuh what

thats not how math works

Is it? Im so confused now

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Unfortunately Facebook are the dominant player in the market and are considerably ahead of everyone else. There's talk of Sony bringing out a Quest competitor, but it's a while off.

Game controls have always been a barrier for video game adoption. I've put the Quest on peoples heads who have never touched a game controller before and the learning curve is almost non-existent, there's no need to master camera controls and object interactions are usually based on real life as opposed to being abstracted to button presses and minigames, making things more intuitive. If anything I've found experienced gamers have more trouble getting used to VR, presumably because they're accustomed to those abstractions.

Quest 2 is $299 and functions completely standalone. It doesn't require a PC but can hook up to one with a generic USB 3.0 cable or over 5Ghz WiFi using software like Virtual Desktop.

Fame Douglas posted:

The form factor is still a barrier and needs a lot of improvement, but isolation isn't a significant problem even now and it'll become less so in the future. Enabling passthrough on the Quest is already as quick as double tapping the HMD and presumably they'll add some kind of boundary intrusion detection that automatically enables it when someone walks up to you in the future, possibly even this generation.

The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is a full fledged immersive sim with a branching story, physics based combat, crafting and is about 12 hours long. Not everything is Beat Saber.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 21, 2020

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

verbal enema posted:

s
whuh what

thats not how math works

Is it? Im so confused now

i can't believe doom is 89 years old now

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

verbal enema posted:

Took me a few minutes but I think it's a very weird way to say doom has existed in the
90s
00s
10s
20s

4 decades

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

site posted:

Took me a few minutes but I think it's a very weird way to say doom has existed in the
90s
00s
10s
20s

4 decades

goddamit

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It is funny I talk about VR price when my keyboard and mouse alone are probably close to 300 clams.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It is funny I talk about VR price when my keyboard and mouse alone are probably close to 300 clams.

Yeah, it’s that expensive in the context of pc gaming.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i get a new laptop on christmas and imma play so much loving doom

might ask my lil bro to put gzdoom on it so i can just start ripping and tearing in the sushi joint 🍣

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/skacky/status/1340807947547533313?s=20

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah but those are high end examples, while one cam spend ten to 20 bucks on those and get ones that basically the same in usability, that doesn't exist for VR yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Extremely cool.

Between this and NewDark it's really neat how much support the community has given to Thief in the last decade.