Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/M9OPaNh.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Something else that has gotten worse? Frozen dinners.

20 years ago there were some actually good frozen dinners, like the original Marie Callenders ones. Since then the wheels of monopoly have ground most of the market into like 3 companies, and the quality has deteriorated in favor of squeezing ever more profit out of it.

Even 10 years ago I felt pretty comfortable getting a "salisbury steak" frozen dinner as they were at least predictable. In the last couple years I had enough incidents of crunching on bone in my "salisbury steak" to give it up entirely.

There are now less than a half-dozen frozen dinners I consider okay, and like half of those are smaller companies that are still independent.

Have they really though? They've gotten cheaper, but I bet if you spent the same inflation adjusted amount of money on a frozen meal today vs 20 years ago, you would come out with better results.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

What annoys me is that it's impossible to find a frozen meal that's ever been near a vegetable that's also more than 300 calories. I don't know who these people are who eat 240 calories for lunch but I need more food than that. Anything that's like 500-600 calories is EXT-REAM MAN HUNGER CREAMY BACON FRIED CHICKEN MAC M CHEEZ.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

TJs and costco are the only good ones now yeah

The TJ frozen food is usually solid. TJ Indian stuff is my go-to, I always have a few in the freezer for lazy days. It's not really expensive either.

OwlFancier posted:

A couple years ago I used to like going to a sit down fish and chip place by the sea, was quite expensive for the actual fish and chips but they would do you a bowl of battered calamari the size of your head for surprisingly cheap.

But then they stopped and I was gutted.

I'm saying I can have little a lack of portion control, as a treat.

Anyone who says they don't enjoy occasionally going for a pile of food the size of a small child is a liar.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Considering how you didn't really read the post and just jumped in wanting to make a dumb americans joke, I think you already know the answer you wanted.

Although if you're at a place with a salad bar and prepackaged salads, you'll almost always do better just buying the premade salad instead because it's cheaper.

You have to sprinkle salt on a salad to get the veggies salty and sweaty like you're posts

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Have they really though? They've gotten cheaper, but I bet if you spent the same inflation adjusted amount of money on a frozen meal today vs 20 years ago, you would come out with better results.

I'm talking 1:1 comparisons of the same frozen dinners. After ConAgra acquired Marie Callenders the dinners actually changed. Like their fettucine and chicken alfredo used to come with the pasta, broccoli, and chicken and sauce in separate pouches, and even included a pepper packet. It actually came out like restaurant quality food.

And Swanson Hungry Man "salisbury steak" used to be okay, but now is lower quality to the point of finding chunks of bone in it.

The quality has assuredly gone down in the major brands.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
I honestly like that lovely frozen meals are usually 300ish calories, they're great for a lazy night where I don't feel hateful towards myself for overeating, and if it's a dinner or a lunch where I'm extra hangry I usually can just add 100ish calories or so to make it filling (usually with extra cheese, nothing ever has enough cheese, or extra protein)
I'm trying to lose weight after this year of moving in with my weightlifter boyfriend who orders out all the time and doesn't cook anything unless it involves allll the cream or butter, and general covid weight gain.

The only good frozen or prepared meals I've found here in Aus are youfoodz tho, which range from 6-10 each, but they're amazing and taste and look like real food

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CaptainSarcastic posted:

As an American, I'd have to agree that portion sizes got out of control years ago and are only now starting to show any signs of reversion to normalcy.

The size of fountain drinks is one metric - if I order a "medium" I don't expect to get 32 loving ounces of soda.

Seriously, a while back, I determined that the large combo I was getting on my biweekly trip to Wendy's was just way too much, and switched to small.

The thing is it's that way by design for reasons. It's only $1.00 to upgrade to a large, because americans can't resist a good deal, especially when it comes to food

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Seriously, a while back, I determined that the large combo I was getting on my biweekly trip to Wendy's was just way too much, and switched to small.

The thing is it's that way by design for reasons. It's only $1.00 to upgrade to a large, because americans can't resist a good deal, especially when it comes to food

It's the same mental problem we get at buffets

the more I eat, the cheaper it is!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

I will defend the honor of being drunk and/or hungover at a Chinese buffet

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Bloop posted:

I'd better not leave any in the steam trays, that's wasting food!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Listen, if I don't eat every single Chicken On a Stick then how are the ones I leave behind going to feel? Have some god damned compassion.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I still wonder what happened to Ranaconda :(

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

I still wonder what happened to Ranaconda :(

Same. I've PMd him as I'm sure have many others

Worst part is that I know he lives really close to me and I'd like to do a wellness check but obviously I don't actually know who he is

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Goon detectives go!

What do we know about him?

He is obsessed with weird and likely inedible food,

Oh

Oh no

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Same. I've PMd him as I'm sure have many others

Worst part is that I know he lives really close to me and I'd like to do a wellness check but obviously I don't actually know who he is

:smith:

just really hope the roni didn't get him. Ugh.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I know, nothing like losing your thread mascot to take the wind out of the sails :smith:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I assume he finally wrassled one gator too many, that is what you do in Florida right?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I assume he finally wrassled one gator too many, that is what you do in Florida right?

all that AND MORE!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

more falafel please posted:

What annoys me is that it's impossible to find a frozen meal that's ever been near a vegetable that's also more than 300 calories. I don't know who these people are who eat 240 calories for lunch but I need more food than that. Anything that's like 500-600 calories is EXT-REAM MAN HUNGER CREAMY BACON FRIED CHICKEN MAC M CHEEZ.

I just eat two frozen meals for lunch. The Birdseye Beef Broccoli bowl with cauliflower rice isn’t bad except on sodium (I need extra sodium myself so that feels like a bonus).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

salad means 'salted thing'

bacon is a salad

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
May I recommend the depressed business travelers hotel dinner:
1 health bowl style TV dinner
1 bag popcorn
1 candy bar

Still somehow healthier than a fast food combo meal.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like this belongs in this thread. I guess the grossness is mainly at 18:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rBO8neWw04

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You know what's AFP but extremely good? Battered and fried Florida gator tail dunked in way too much blue cheese. I don't know what local floridians eat but if anyone sees a trace of Randaconda I bet that'd be a good lure.

Iron Crowned posted:

I will defend the honor of being drunk and/or hungover at a Chinese buffet

You need to hit up a Mandarin someday. What a fuckin buffet. It's god's own chinese buffet (that also has sushi and soft serve and all the things you may desire). Like, it's not exactly good but it's soooo good.

Probably the best birthday I ever had was renting a kayak alone, kayaking along Lake Ontario to a trailhead, hiking for around 8 hours, kayaking back, and then stumbling into Mandarin with my friends and demolishing the buffet.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 20:24 on Dec 20, 2020

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I do side work at a China Star buffet and they send me home with like five bags of food every night I work. I just get all the leftovers but I'll be goddamned if that isn't like 80% of why I do the job. Three pounds of nothing but spring rolls and that weird jalapeno shrimp? Oh and half a gallon of pudding? Well don't mind if I do. I scrub the bar better when I'm full of MSG anyway.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

More like people can't resist feeling like they got a good deal.

The burger is by far the most expensive part of the meal. Throwing in a couple of cents worth of fries and soda and charging an extra $1 is a huge money maker for restaurants, which is why staff are usually encouraged to upsell as much as possible.

Vinaigrette talk: I make my own as well. They're what finally made salad palatable to me after growing up in a family where salad just went dry and undressed. I started making my own after our condiment cupboard ended up filled with about a dozen different varieties.

I like mine with less oil/more vinegar than my partner who likes more oil and sweeter ingredients, so we each have a jar of pre-mixed base ingredients in different ratios.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

salad means 'salted thing'

so does sausage. therefore,

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I love blowing my boyfriend’s mind when I make a salad dressing. It’s not hard but drat it is an ego boost.

Anyway,

Not cropping out the account because 70sdinnerparty is a great follow, should that be your kind of thing

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, as long as you minimize meat and maximize carbs you can get any variety of pile of glarp you can imagine with little trouble.

It's when you try to have Actual Ingredients in that pile of glarp that you run into problems because lol the fda is a joke nowdays.
"nowadays" :airquote:
https://www.npr.org/2017/05/26/5302...ed%20them%20in.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So how much does that bottle cost, for those of us who aren't connoisseurs?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Manuel Calavera posted:

So how much does that bottle cost, for those of us who aren't connoisseurs?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

When I was younger I worked in a resort area as a bartender and I'd get Young Adults With Money asking for chivas and coke or kettle one and soda but nothing like that. Would've liked to have been born into 3600 dollar scotch and diet coke money.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you could also just take the bottle out, pour a full glass of soda w no liquor, take the photo, and drink your coke, its not like this one is made in good faith

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Soda is a good way to get rid of bad liquor like Chivas or Ketel.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This is part of a series.

https://twitter.com/neoliberal_dad/status/1340435792397787137

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
My favorite drink is Glenmorangie 10 year in diet root beer with oranges because I am an absolute swine. That Macallan and diet Coke probably tastes like diet happiness. I'd kill an ox with my bare hands to try it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Diet anything and liquor is a pro move if you wanna get drunk quicker

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Glenmorangie is a noob tier whisky anyway so eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵