Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Jeez guys, leave a little bit of the country to burn later. :tif:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Problem is, everyone in the whole world knows Johnson is a pathological liar so they have to take the worst case scenario.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Problem is, everyone in the whole world knows Johnson is a pathological liar so they have to take the worst case scenario.

Cry wolf often enough and eventually someone decides that it's best to nuke it from orbit just to be sure.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The UK https://i.imgur.com/2Vt5Gwa.mp4

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

mr_jolly posted:

Love that there's "growing calls for parliament to be recalled." Will that mean all mps have to physically travel into a tier4 zone and queue around Westminster before returning because Jacob wants things done the old fashioned way?

LOL only parliament can save us now!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tired: Wuhan Flu
Wired: Dover Covid, London Lurgy, Croydon Clap

I was looking for an excuse to post that in here because I saw it and thought of Ms A so thank you for saving me the bother :v:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1340791535613452297

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

bump_fn posted:

amazing just amazing ahahhahahahaha
https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1340698166350516226

https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1340727266427490304

11am tomorrow, set your alarms

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bone Crimes posted:

Jeez guys, leave a little bit of the country to burn later. :tif:

gently caress me, you aren't kidding. At this rate neither the SNP nor the NIP will need independence referendums, they could just stick up some wire fencing on the border and call it a day.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I was looking for an excuse to post that in here because I saw it and thought of Ms A so thank you for saving me the bother :v:

The wife sent it so I assumed it was from some other dark corner of SA.

I'm impressed no matter how bad it gets we manage to smash through the floor into a new level of badness filled with even more potent turds. Like. It's just impressive. Terrible... But...how???

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I'm going to go and buy some additional booze

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Absolute lol.

My wife and I were planning to go to Malta for Christmas with my dad. My dad needed this trip because my mum died in January (not covid related) and he's been pretty much in pieces since, and definitely doesn't want to spend Christmas in the UK. We've spent most of today wondering if we could still go or not. I'm not actually certain if it's genuinely illegal to get a flight out or not (all the sources I've looked at have mixed messages) and we were planning to chance it. We already had to take covid tests and get a negative certificate due to Malta's rules so I figured it would be relatively safe for us to travel without risking others.

Well anyway the lab has been overwhelmed and they haven't even issued our certs yet, they're 24 hrs late and we might not get them at all :colbert: And since we've spent the day watching the EU locking us out one by one we figured we'd just be setting ourselves up for a bigger headache if we chance it. Either we get denied boarding, Malta puts a ban in, or worst of all worlds: Malta forces us to quarantine inside the hotel.

At least we're getting all our money back. (and, thankfully, my dad isn't nearly as upset about it as i thought it would be - which has made it easier to deal with)

Sorry to hear mate. Glad to hear your dad isn't taking it badly.
And best not to go, this time last year my sister in laws family went over to Australia for 2 months, then got trapped there, then had to spend a total of about 8 grand between them to live there and get back home.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Just tested postive for covid, probably because my bastard managers decided not to tell anyone in my work area at the royal mail warehouse that at least two people came down with it a week ago. This really is a hell country.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The new UK strain has been detected in Australia too, though it's in people already in hotel quarantine and isn't linked to the current outbreak in Sydney as that came from the US

Here's what the GuardianAus liveblog is saying

quote:

I’ve been speaking to some infectious disease experts and epidemiologists this morning about what the new Covid strain detected in the UK means for Australia, and whether Australians should be concerned about it spreading from hotel quarantine here.

The strain has been detected in extremely small numbers in Australia.

Victoria’s deputy chief health officer, Professor Allen Cheng, told me it isn’t clear whether this variant is truly more infectious, although obviously the UK authorities are in a better position to assess the evidence for this.

“It could be that this variant is spreading faster because of a ‘founder effect’ – for example, it could be simply the strain that was involved in a superspreading event or spreading in a part of the country where restrictions are less strict or less adhered to,” he said. “Higher viral loads could reflect detection earlier in the illness.”

He said that Australian health authorities in the meantime were “keeping a close eye on things”. Cheng said it’s also unclear at this stage as to whether the mutation, known as the N501Y mutation, will have any impact on vaccine efficacy. The vaccines all target the spike protein of the virus, and Cheng said the mutation does affect the binding site of the spike protein.

“But further studies are required to see if it affects how the immune system recognises the virus after immunisation,” he said. “One thing to look out for is if people who had previously been infected get reinfected with this strain. I haven’t seen any reports of this yet.”

An associate professor at the Kirby Institute at the University of New South Wales, Dr Stuart Turville, said Westmead and Prince of Wales hospitals in NSW had sequenced the northern beaches cluster, and that was one virus strain that was “nothing like the UK variant”.

“The northern beaches one has been observed in US and European samples, but the frequency is low,” Turville said. “Australia is somewhat unique in the pandemic. When the virus does breach our quarantine it is only one seeding event. This was seen in Melbourne. One virus gets out and then expands.”

Asked how concerned we should be about the vaccine efficacy in light of this variant, Turville said: “I think we need to be aware and test if these changes impact vaccine induced immune responses.

“Presently our teams do this by testing if the antibody response from Sars infection, say in the first wave, is as effective in blocking these newly emerging variants,” he said. “When vaccines are available in Australia we will do the same. We unfortunately do see differences even with small changes to the virus. That said, we don’t presently know how that would influence reinfection until we see it happen or infection in a vaccinated patient until it happens. The good news is many of the vaccine technologies can also change the viral flavour to vaccinate against.”

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

He's a great twitter follow

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i really have to keep reminding myself it could be worse i could still be in the states

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Thoughts and prayers for any supermarket workers in the thread. They are going to be an absolute war zone tomorrow.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

peanut- posted:

Thoughts and prayers for any supermarket workers in the thread. They are going to be an absolute war zone tomorrow.

Yeah, this.

Good luck, everybody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d4SulHVKUk

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

vodkat posted:

In a negative interest rate situation what is to stop people from moving their money into a currency with a positive interest rate?

already done

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm avoiding the middle of the day like, well, the plague, but I'm gonna be in morning and evening so we will see what it's like.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Since everything has suddenly decided to happen right now there's absolutely no way all the Royals are going to be alive tomorrow morning.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Of course the government that murders its own people thinks nothing of also stealing from them: negative interest rates Just Make Sense for the evil bastards in charge.

As soon as lockdown eases up, anyone who can should leave the sinking vessel Britannia. If I were wealthier I’d offer to pay for people’s plane tickets.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

Since everything has suddenly decided to happen right now there's absolutely no way all the Royals are going to be alive tomorrow morning.
If Johnson decided to follow up banning Christmas by executing the Royals and declaring war on the Pope I'd be having very conflicted views right now.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Turns out Diana was alive and in Benidorm all this time!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I think the confluence of;

• Williamson threatening to sue schools closing early
  • The mutant strain being known about since September
  • The idea that this particular mutation has worse effect on kids than previous strains
  • The last minute Christmas cancellation
  • Tesco rationing again

Might actually break through to the 60+ lobby who are ok with their kids being destitute because of Brexit, and steadily propping up that 40% CON polling, but who would like to see their grandkids live to a double digit age

But we live on bullshit island where hope dies eternal so I’m guessing they’ll be over 50pts and Boris will be a decisive champion by Wednesday.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OwlFancier posted:

If you really want antisocial gardening than pampas grass is a good one, it's a big horrible mess that also has serrated leaves that gently caress you up if you brush past them. Also highly invasive and gets these massive stalks that I assume spray seeds within several miles.

For some unfathomable reason my grandma had a huge pampas plant in the middle of our front garden for most of my childhood. It was a huge misplaced monster that would razor you up good, and we had to either let it grow like something from a horror movie or pay some poor underprepared gardener to come and deal with it.

Eventually my dad just said "gently caress it" and chopped the thing to shreds then uprooted the stump, so I guess he had some positive attributes as well.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Apologies for not being caught up on reading the thread but it feels like everything's a loving joke.

After my parents, quite reasonably legit not having a go, said that government Covid rules meant I couldn't see them for Xmas I got a bit sad and reached out to basically every vaguely leftist person I knew wanting something to do with myself on Xmas day. The result was having a Zoom call with a very professional demeanour person from the Salvation Army giving training and guidance for delivering Xmas boxes to people. So taking her guidance I call ahead to Morrisons, drive down and right there is a lad with a visor on to take payment for 20 disposable masks and and 20 disposable pairs of gloves. I ask on the building Whatsapp group if people mind the care boxes being left in the foyer, no one does it's all very Xmas spirit and while it wasn't dream Christmas plan I felt like there was some purpose I could do so everything wouldn't feel poo poo that day.

Then the gov suddenly announces tier 4 and it's all off, those Xmas plans aren't happening for anyone anymore, got a robot message from Salvation Army saying 'don't do the plan' so I'm here holding my dick with seven hefty boxes of mince pies and it honestly feels like this guidance is so loving haphazard and ill-planned that not breaking Covid rules must mean you're just a loving mug, there's no plan anyway.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The govt should buy up all the perishable food currently en route to the ports and distribute it around the country.
Surely the military could do something like this. Call up all the Territorials.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Vitamin P posted:

Apologies for not being caught up on reading the thread but it feels like everything's a loving joke.

After my parents, quite reasonably legit not having a go, said that government Covid rules meant I couldn't see them for Xmas I got a bit sad and reached out to basically every vaguely leftist person I knew wanting something to do with myself on Xmas day. The result was having a Zoom call with a very professional demeanour person from the Salvation Army giving training and guidance for delivering Xmas boxes to people. So taking her guidance I call ahead to Morrisons, drive down and right there is a lad with a visor on to take payment for 20 disposable masks and and 20 disposable pairs of gloves. I ask on the building Whatsapp group if people mind the care boxes being left in the foyer, no one does it's all very Xmas spirit and while it wasn't dream Christmas plan I felt like there was some purpose I could do so everything wouldn't feel poo poo that day.

Then the gov suddenly announces tier 4 and it's all off, those Xmas plans aren't happening for anyone anymore, got a robot message from Salvation Army saying 'don't do the plan' so I'm here holding my dick with seven hefty boxes of mince pies and it honestly feels like this guidance is so loving haphazard and ill-planned that not breaking Covid rules must mean you're just a loving mug, there's no plan anyway.

If you're not on the ukmt discord already come on over, it's a good community with a lot of mutual support

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

I think the confluence of;

• Williamson threatening to sue schools closing early
  • The mutant strain being known about since September
  • The idea that this particular mutation has worse effect on kids than previous strains
  • The last minute Christmas cancellation
  • Tesco rationing again

Might actually break through to the 60+ lobby who are ok with their kids being destitute because of Brexit, and steadily propping up that 40% CON polling, but who would like to see their grandkids live to a double digit age

But we live on bullshit island where hope dies eternal so I’m guessing they’ll be over 50pts and Boris will be a decisive champion by Wednesday.

Sorry mate but it's not going to happen.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Vitamin P posted:

Find homeless that are still about and supply their caloric requirements until next year in mince pies?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Vitamin P posted:

So were you supposed to be taking them over on Xmas Day?
Something might change by then so you could still take them. What's the eat by date on them?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/RealHero12089/status/1340701537098747905?s=19

I am posting wrestling here because a) it's barely wrestling, it's more physical performance nonsense and b) we all need a chuckle in these dark times.

King Kong, 2 Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones shark, and a DJ ghost vs 2 brothers, Ultraman, Staypuft Marshmallow Man and a Japanese wrestling legend who was also elected to office wearing his wrestling mask.

There's a cardboard city, they dismantle the ring during the match, Joker in a diaper is a camera man for some reason, a plastic dolphin, a 51 year old man wearing a wooden barrel over his head and jumping from the top barrel (and that's not even the dumbest thing he does)

It's completely stupid and brought me joy and it might bring you joy too. There's no necessary content. It's just dumb.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The only reason this might impact polling is because it's the home counties that got hosed

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Reading the BBC article on the new strain it ends on a fun note:

""But if we let it add more mutations, then you start worrying," said Prof Gupta.

"This virus is potentially on a pathway for vaccine escape, it has taken the first couple of steps towards that."

Vaccine escape happens when the virus changes so it dodges the full effect of the vaccine and continues to infect people.

This may be the most concerning element of what is happening with the virus.

This variant is just the latest to show the virus is continuing to adapt as it infects more and more of us.

A presentation by Prof David Robertson, from the University of Glasgow on Friday, concluded: "The virus will probably be able to generate vaccine escape mutants."

That would put us in a position similar to flu, where the vaccines need to be regularly updated. Fortunately the vaccines we have are very easy to tweak."

I like how it's like 'Terror' 'terror' 'terror!! TERROR!" then at the very end. Oh yeah it's easy to tweak the vaccines.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Refusing to hope because there's a good chance bad thing happens anyway is cowardice

Leave the lamentation till the bad things happen.

Who knows, Boris might murder suicide the lot of them at the Cobra meeting

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So were you supposed to be taking them over on Xmas Day?

Yeah it was Christmas care boxes. The process was you drive to the address, put on a fresh mask and fresh pair of gloves then ring the bell and leave the box on the doorstep, then you walk back to the pavement and sing a carol/talk to them from there when they answer the door.

The Salvation Army is bit sus, especially on lgbt stuff, but it seems like a nice thing to do for people and I was really looking forward to doing it tbh. Seems like in a sane country the government would have been honest about what would be possible for Christmas instead of explictly lying about Christmas relaxations, letting people and charities make plans and spend money accordingly.

Barry Foster posted:

If you're not on the ukmt discord already come on over, it's a good community with a lot of mutual support

Might well do that tbh stuff is feeling grim atm

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lol I was starting to think I was becoming a tinfoil conspiracist for entertaining the idea that they’d lied about the COVID mutation but it’s really seeming that way

https://twitter.com/BrunoBrussels/status/1340622671080468480

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Really sorry to hear about your situation, vitamin p. Just do what you feel is right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

lol I was starting to think I was becoming a tinfoil conspiracist for entertaining the idea that they’d lied about the COVID mutation but it’s really seeming that way

https://twitter.com/BrunoBrussels/status/1340622671080468480

I think they're *very* belatedly realising that the Christmas plans they had would have pushed the NHS over the brink and Hancock would have had to sign the "No treatment for these people" order. As bulletproof as they've been so far, the moment dead grannies started piling up would surely have broken through.