Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

surf rock posted:

OK, opening this thread and studiously avoiding reading anything other than direct replies to avoid spoilers if I keep going with the show...

I just started the show this morning after having seen it get a ton of positive press over the past few years. I'm only a couple episodes in, but it's not grabbing me yet.

I watched the first few seasons of Naruto during its original run and enjoyed that, and I watched One Punch Man earlier this year and loved that. I feel like this show is a splicing of those two things but with an even younger target demographic and kind of a janky art style.

So my question is: am I misreading the show? For most people who love it, do they love it because of the action or the comedy or the characters or something else? I dunno if it's underwhelming me because it's just not resonating, or because I expected it to be one thing and it's something else entirely.

I like it because it has good action and fun writing. I think the beginning of the show is by far the weakest part of it, but if you're several episodes in and not feeling it I don't think anything to come is really going to change your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you get far enough to meet the rest of Deku's class at superhero school they don't do much for you either you probably won't like MHA.

EDIT: If you don't watch much anime and haven't seen it already I'd recommend trying Mob Psycho 100 instead

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 20, 2020

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

surf rock posted:

OK, opening this thread and studiously avoiding reading anything other than direct replies to avoid spoilers if I keep going with the show...

I just started the show this morning after having seen it get a ton of positive press over the past few years. I'm only a couple episodes in, but it's not grabbing me yet.

I watched the first few seasons of Naruto during its original run and enjoyed that, and I watched One Punch Man earlier this year and loved that. I feel like this show is a splicing of those two things but with an even younger target demographic and kind of a janky art style.

So my question is: am I misreading the show? For most people who love it, do they love it because of the action or the comedy or the characters or something else? I dunno if it's underwhelming me because it's just not resonating, or because I expected it to be one thing and it's actually something else.

I maintain that season 1 is actually bad, because of how slowly paced it is. I was so frustrated about how the drat series is called Hero Academy, but it takes 5 (?) episodes for him to step foot in the drat Hero Academy!

Season 2 gets better, buy if I was watching it live, instead of binge watching later, I probably would have dropped it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

surf rock posted:

So my question is: am I misreading the show? For most people who love it, do they love it because of the action or the comedy or the characters or something else? I dunno if it's underwhelming me because it's just not resonating, or because I expected it to be one thing and it's actually something else.

It takes a little to come online but it from the end of season one it becomes a really fun shonen series (specifically, the actual antagonists get introduced and the show gets its first really outstanding action scene), if you have any interest in the genre at all I'd recommend you persevere at least until there. If it's still doing nothing for you then then yeah it's probably got going to click for you

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

surf rock posted:

Season 1 is insanely slow IMO.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've never seen a long-running shounen where the beginning was the best part. Never. I didn't even like One Piece until Alabasta. My favorites all took a good while to wind up and find their footing.

I echo sentiments to continue on until you meet the school chums and then hopefully you'll start to get into it more. Season 2 is a huge improvement in all ways - action, plot, characters...

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Honestly Izuku is one of the least interesting parts of the show to me so the first season really isn't that interesting. It puts a lot more work into the supporting cast and villains after that (who are generally pretty interesting), which makes it much more interesting and fun. I'd say stick with it and see if you are interested in any of the other characters.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I actually really like Izuku - my favorite shounen MC since Yusuke a billion years ago.(not counting Kagome or Lucy since some say they don't count) and in my Top 3 Favorite MHA Characters. He's intelligent, not afraid to cry, and his compulsive heroism is a plot point that is questioned and explored.

But we live in an era of huge cast shounen series. No single character can carry the whole story when the story is about dozens upon dozens of characters.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Guess I'll be the outlier and say that I think MHA has one of the strongest starts to any shounen I've seen. The first 2 episode do a fantastic job of getting you invested in Deku and ending on 'You can be a Hero' was a seriously emotionally powerful moment. When I think of other shounen I've watched I honestly can't think of an intro that impacted me as much.

There's an argument to the first season being too slow but on the other hand each episode justifies itself imo. Deku screaming on the beach, his first Smash, throwing the ball, Deku vs Bakugo? All really powerful scenes that I enjoy going back to even being up to date with the manga.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Nephthys posted:

Guess I'll be the outlier and say that I think MHA has one of the strongest starts to any shounen I've seen. The first 2 episode do a fantastic job of getting you invested in Deku and ending on 'You can be a Hero' was a seriously emotionally powerful moment. When I think of other shounen I've watched I honestly can't think of an intro that impacted me as much.

For me the show peaked with these first two episodes/first chapter of the manga. I found Midoriya to be a Very Good Boy and I thought that the premise of him being the only one without powers and having to compensate for it somehow was very promising. But then he gets One for All (I knew he gets it eventually but didn't think it's this early) which was kind of a letdown. The implementation of OfA is quite interesting, but still. And I didn't really like the direction the show takes with Bakugo, who literally tells Midoriya to kill himself in the very first episode but it's kinda never addressed?

I watched the rest of the series waiting for it to make me as emotional as in the beginning and it never happened.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
There was/is a persistent rumor that Deku was supposed to be quirkless for the whole series and relying on martial arts, gadget and his encyclopedic knowledge of everyone's quirks, but it was vetoed by an editor because "you can't have a battle shonen where the main hero has no special power" or something like that. Regardless of how truthful it is, I agree that it would be a lot stronger series if Deku remained quirkless.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Lt. Lizard posted:

There was/is a persistent rumor that Deku was supposed to be quirkless for the whole series and relying on martial arts, gadget and his encyclopedic knowledge of everyone's quirks, but it was vetoed by an editor because "you can't have a battle shonen where the main hero has no special power" or something like that. Regardless of how truthful it is, I agree that it would be a lot stronger series if Deku remained quirkless.
Before most manga start publishing in Jump they go through a pre-publishing phase where the mangaka lays out character designs, basic premises, plot skeleton, etc. Originally Midoriya was in fact supposed to be quirkless the entire time. He also looked a lot more emo. All Might was originally just supposed to be some rando hero who inspired Midoriya (Yamikuno was his pre-publishing name) but he decided to give him a much bigger part of the story. Also, Horikoshi's editors complained about All Might's design and said he should be more bishonen- but Horikoshi put his foot down about it.

Also, Bakugou was originally supposed to be a nice, upbeat guy who basically accidentally caused collateral damage every time he fought.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

macabresca posted:

For me the show peaked with these first two episodes/first chapter of the manga. I found Midoriya to be a Very Good Boy and I thought that the premise of him being the only one without powers and having to compensate for it somehow was very promising. But then he gets One for All (I knew he gets it eventually but didn't think it's this early) which was kind of a letdown. The implementation of OfA is quite interesting, but still. And I didn't really like the direction the show takes with Bakugo, who literally tells Midoriya to kill himself in the very first episode but it's kinda never addressed?

I watched the rest of the series waiting for it to make me as emotional as in the beginning and it never happened.

Deku getting powers justified itself to me in how it was implemented with him shattering his body when he uses it and having to consider the risk-reward of going over his limit. The whole concept in his fight with Todoroki of him using up his fingers and limbs like they were bullets was super creative and hardcore as gently caress. Also you only have to look at Momo to see that 'gadget hero' isn't really Horikoshi's strong suit. :rolleyes:

The Muscular fight did it for me. Man that was a strong fight.

Fabricated posted:

Also, Bakugou was originally supposed to be a nice, upbeat guy who basically accidentally caused collateral damage every time he fought.

And Mt Lady was going to be the main heroine (aged down obviously).

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Before most manga start publishing in Jump they go through a pre-publishing phase where the mangaka lays out character designs, basic premises, plot skeleton, etc. Originally Midoriya was in fact supposed to be quirkless the entire time. He also looked a lot more emo. All Might was originally just supposed to be some rando hero who inspired Midoriya (Yamikuno was his pre-publishing name) but he decided to give him a much bigger part of the story. Also, Horikoshi's editors complained about All Might's design and said he should be more bishonen- but Horikoshi put his foot down about it.

Yeah, if you kinda squint, you can still see traces of those premises in the series proper up until end of Sports Festival arc. Deku fights 99% of the time as if he didn't have a quirk, outside of brief, extremely limited, explosions of power that kinda fit some kind of limited use explosive gadget as well as AfO, the.... "friendship" between Deku and Bakugou that is a lot more twisted and complicated than was probably intended and would make far more sense if Bakugou was a super nice guy, etc.....

Honestly, I kinda want to see this alternate version of MHA.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nephthys posted:

Deku getting powers justified itself to me in how it was implemented with him shattering his body when he uses it and having to consider the risk-reward of going over his limit. The whole concept in his fight with Todoroki of him using up his fingers and limbs like they were bullets was super creative and hardcore as gently caress. Also you only have to look at Momo to see that 'gadget hero' isn't really Horikoshi's strong suit. :rolleyes:

The Muscular fight did it for me. Man that was a strong fight.

Believe it or not, there are people who don't like that fight. I know I was shocked to hear that a decent number of people really dislike it. It's one of the most awesome moments in the series and one of Deku's greatest moments, which is saying a lot given how much I love him.

Also we have a new fan here so spoilers if we want to get into details.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, if you kinda squint, you can still see traces of those premises in the series proper up until end of Sports Festival arc. Deku fights 99% of the time as if he didn't have a quirk, outside of brief, extremely limited, explosions of power that kinda fit some kind of limited use explosive gadget as well as AfO, the.... "friendship" between Deku and Bakugou that is a lot more twisted and complicated than was probably intended and would make far more sense if Bakugou was a super nice guy, etc.....

Honestly, I kinda want to see this alternate version of MHA.

I keep saying the movies should embrace some real superhero comic What If stuff

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nephthys posted:

'gadget hero' isn't really Horikoshi's strong suit. :rolleyes:

How dare you besmirch Hatsume Mei like this

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

surf rock posted:

OK, opening this thread and studiously avoiding reading anything other than direct replies to avoid spoilers if I keep going with the show... I just started the show this morning after having seen it get a ton of positive press over the past few years. I'm only a couple episodes in, but it's not grabbing me yet. I watched the first few seasons of Naruto during its original run and enjoyed that, and I watched One Punch Man earlier this year and loved that. I feel like this show is a splicing of those two things but with an even younger target demographic and kind of a janky art style. So my question is: am I misreading the show? For most people who love it, do they love it because of the action or the comedy or the characters or something else? I dunno if it's underwhelming me because it's just not resonating, or because I expected it to be one thing and it's actually something else.
The "school" is also jank as hell and the show is better when they're not in it.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

Waffleman_ posted:

I keep saying the movies should embrace some real superhero comic What If stuff

The movies are always shooting themselves in the foot with their efforts to be "technically canon".

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

macabresca posted:

I thought the first chapter of the manga was pretty good too! Conversely, I think that the first two episodes of the anime are terrible, decompressed poo poo. The "cliffhanger" between parts 1 and 2 is a whole bunch of whatever, and it feels like nothing happens in the first part.

Somebody else just said that the first few arcs of any popular shonen anime are almost never anyone's favorite, and I agree. But dear God, the pilot episode needs to have something going for it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think MHA has a decently strong start for a shounen but i also find it to be fairly weak compared to s2+. they definitely realized that they hit a strong note with deku being told he can be a hero and more or less replayed the same thing but in a slightly different context like 3 more times during s1 which i found a bit annoying after the second time. all that being said, while the show gets better as it goes on i don't think anyone who isn't into it by episode, like, 5 is going to have their mind changed, and even if they did i'd never recommend a show on the premise that you have to finish an entire season before finding out if you like the show or not. if you're 5 episodes in and sitting on the fence then yeah, it gets better, but if you don't like the show by that point it doesn't become a different show

bakugo is my favorite character but that does require allowing the show a little bit of a mulligan on his early portrayal. on top of his role in the first episode being extreme even for him, the story kind of frontloads you with bakugo's flaws and takes a while to really show off the more admirable or likeable parts of his personality (and even then he's more "admirable" than "likeable").

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lt. Lizard posted:

I honestly thought it was pretty refreshing when All Might leveled with him about how honestly at a certain point you kinda do need to have some kind of superpower to keep up. I know Batman doesn't but come on.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

christmas boots posted:

I honestly thought it was pretty refreshing when All Might leveled with him about how honestly at a certain point you kinda do need to have some kind of superpower to keep up. I know Batman doesn't but come on.

Batman's superpower is unlimited money and access to people who can develop and build military-grade poo poo for him.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Horikoshi doesn't have the choreography skills to make Quirkless fights interesting and the proposed ways for Izuku to fight villains who have actual powers all ultimately boil down to "super powers but not explicitly pointed out as such".

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Batman also (mostly) doesn't fight against people who have powers themselves. If every single criminal that Batman ever fought had superpowers and wildly different superpowers at that then yeah, he'd be at a huge disadvantage because he could never know if this mugger he's about to get the drop on is just a particularly strong dude or if he can turn his arms into bazookas or what.

Aizawa is the closest equivalent to Batman in MHA and it's telling that Aizawa still has to have a quirk himself in order to work. He can't just kick dudes in the face, he has to be able to turn off whatever special thing they can do first.

At any rate, yes early season 1 kinda sucks. It's sort of a commitment but if you can at least get through all of the first season (it's not that long) and watch the USJ arc, I think that's where the show really starts to get its engine revving. Everything up to that point is just set up and it definitely drags.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There are exactly three good action scenes in Season 1. "Deku and the big entrance exam robot", "Deku vs Bakugo", and "All Might vs the Nomu."

Edit: Spoilered for surf rock.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 21, 2020

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The weakest part of the first season for me was Bakugo because he's just such a blazing rear end in a top hat it sucks all the pleasure out of his rivalry with Deku. That pays off later on, but I still think the show has an issue with the ethics of power in this world, particularly how evil doesn't have to be malicious intent to harm. Bakugo isn't a good person and his insecurity doesn't excuse how much of a horrible bully he is.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

PMush Perfect posted:

There are exactly three good action scenes in Season 1. "Deku and the big entrance exam robot", "Deku vs Bakugo", and "All Might vs the Nomu."

Edit: Spoilered for surf rock.

Supervillain Iida is technically part of the second one, so you are correct.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I know Horikoshi isn't writing it, but everybody who wants to see a hero without powers kick the asses of everybody around him just needs to read MHA: Vigilantes.

Also seconding that MHA season 1 doesn't get a lot of action until maybe episode 7. It ramps up significantly after that though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

christmas boots posted:

Supervillain Iida is technically part of the second one, so you are correct.
:hmmyes:

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
A bunch of people kindly weighed in on my question last Sunday with their thoughts about why they enjoyed the show, so I decided to stick with it and to finish the first season at least. There are still some things that bother me about the show (mainly the action scenes being kind of bland and the amount of overlap between this and other similar shows I've seen; the first Aizawa episode felt like a bizarrely on-the-nose knockoff of Kakashi's introduction in Naruto, and that feeling never really went away), but there's more to like than dislike.

The folks who said to wait until the rest of the classmates were introduced were spot-on; they do make the show more enjoyable. In fact, here's my list of favorite students after season one, from best to worst:

1.) Tsuyu Asui - Sue's the breakout star.
2.) Tenya Ida - Good dude.
3.) Momo Yaoyorozu - Ida but with less screen time; still good.
4.) Ochaco Uraraka - Wasn't sold on her until she pressed her forehead into the glass hyping up the conversation she (accurately) imagined was happening between Deku and Kacchan.
5.) Fumikage Tokoyami - This guy's a crow; I like it.
6.) Toru Hagakure - I like catching scenes where there's just a floating pair of gloves in the background.
7.) Shoto Todoroki - Kacchan but better in terms of power and personality.
8.) Mina Ashido - I choose to believe that Majin Buu absorbed a female moth and this is what happened.
9.) Mashirao Ojiro - I like that he's just a karate guy with a tail.
10.) Kyoka Jiro - Fun that she's constantly playing with her long earlobes; that's what I would do if I had them.
11.) Kacchan - Little Vegeta! Mostly redeemed by his perfect-for-an-anime-rival voice.
12.) Denki Kaminari - His quirk turning him into an idiot after use is kind of a funny idea.
13.) Deku - He's fine. I hope he spends less time crying in season two; it gets pretty repetitive when you're watching episodes back-to-back.
14.) Eijiro Kirishima - Generic but seems like a nicer version of Kacchan.
15.) Koji Koda - I actually don't remember him; consider this guy the baseline where I like everyone above him and dislike everyone below him.
16.) Rikido Sato - I don't remember him either.
17.) Hanta Sero - Kid's face is creepy; I don't like looking at it.
18.) Yuga Aoyama - Kid's face is creepy; I don't like looking at it. I also don't think the gag is very funny.
19.) Mezo Shoji - Kid's everything is creepy; I don't like looking at it.
20.) Minoru Mineta - Deku but also a horny baby... hooray.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

surf rock posted:

A bunch of people kindly weighed in on my question last Sunday with their thoughts about why they enjoyed the show, so I decided to stick with it and to finish the first season at least. There are still some things that bother me about the show (mainly the action scenes being kind of bland and the amount of overlap between this and other similar shows I've seen; the first Aizawa episode felt like a bizarrely on-the-nose knockoff of Kakashi's introduction in Naruto, and that feeling never really went away), but there's more to like than dislike.

The folks who said to wait until the rest of the classmates were introduced were spot-on; they do make the show more enjoyable. In fact, here's my list of favorite students after season one, from best to worst:

1.) Tsuyu Asui - Sue's the breakout star.
2.) Tenya Ida - Good dude.
3.) Momo Yaoyorozu - Ida but with less screen time; still good.
4.) Ochaco Uraraka - Wasn't sold on her until she pressed her forehead into the glass hyping up the conversation she (accurately) imagined was happening between Deku and Kacchan.
5.) Fumikage Tokoyami - This guy's a crow; I like it.
6.) Toru Hagakure - I like catching scenes where there's just a floating pair of gloves in the background.
7.) Shoto Todoroki - Kacchan but better in terms of power and personality.
8.) Mina Ashido - I choose to believe that Majin Buu absorbed a female moth and this is what happened.
9.) Mashirao Ojiro - I like that he's just a karate guy with a tail.
10.) Kyoka Jiro - Fun that she's constantly playing with her long earlobes; that's what I would do if I had them.
11.) Kacchan - Little Vegeta! Mostly redeemed by his perfect-for-an-anime-rival voice.
12.) Denki Kaminari - His quirk turning him into an idiot after use is kind of a funny idea.
13.) Deku - He's fine. I hope he spends less time crying in season two; it gets pretty repetitive when you're watching episodes back-to-back.
14.) Eijiro Kirishima - Generic but seems like a nicer version of Kacchan.
15.) Koji Koda - I actually don't remember him; consider this guy the baseline where I like everyone above him and dislike everyone below him.
16.) Rikido Sato - I don't remember him either.
17.) Hanta Sero - Kid's face is creepy; I don't like looking at it.
18.) Yuga Aoyama - Kid's face is creepy; I don't like looking at it. I also don't think the gag is very funny.
19.) Mezo Shoji - Kid's everything is creepy; I don't like looking at it.
20.) Minoru Mineta - Deku but also a horny baby... hooray.

Wait until you meet the Big Three and the class B folks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

surf rock posted:

In fact, here's my list of favorite students after season one, from best to worst:

:hmmyes:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kirishima doesn't get his real Moment until season 4, which is a shame.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

PMush Perfect posted:

Kirishima doesn't get his real Moment until season 4, which is a shame.

If anything its a sign of them all growing as characters, its a slow process and they all have there moments eventually.

(Except Mina, who is just constantly rad)

I think a lot of the comparisons to bleach come from the great character designs and unique personalities of the large side cast, except unlike bleach it actually goes somewhere with it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

If anything its a sign of them all growing as characters, its a slow process and they all have there moments eventually.

(Except Mina, who is just constantly rad)

I think a lot of the comparisons to bleach come from the great character designs and unique personalities of the large side cast, except unlike bleach it actually goes somewhere with it.

I forget, did Asui ever get hers?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Larryb posted:

I forget, did Asui ever get hers?

Yes, unfortunately it was making a solemn declaration that she was a cop

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Deku's crying does settle down eventually but IIRC you still have a few firehose tears to go.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

You will also see more crying from other characters as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
The crying in MHA never felt out of place to me, and I marathoned it twice this year. Nothing wrong with a shonen protagonist who feels emotions beyond a ~burning passion to protect others~ :)