Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

DevCore posted:

Is there a front rack that’s a similar design as the pass and stow rack?
I really don’t feel like dropping $280 for a handmade front rack.

https://www.passandstowracks.com/

The specialized pizza rack is one alternative. It's finicky to set up and not really amazing, but it's closer to $100 than $280. I did ragbrai with most of my camping gear on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DevCore posted:

Which one of their racks?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

DevCore posted:

That's about the going price for a tubular CrMo rack, even made in Taiwan isn't much cheaper. The Blackburn Bootlegger has a similar form factor for a third the price, it's just aluminium instead and less fancy.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Which one of their racks?

Oh right, I thought they only made the one - the five rail

And thanks or the recommendations. I didn't realize front racks price points started so high, I assumed they'd be around the same as rear racks which start at $35 and go up.

DevCore fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 14, 2020

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Sounds like the stem was improperly threaded or you cross threaded one of the early attempts and buggered it, but sounds like broken from the start. Any pics of the threaded hole? I assume by paste you mean the carbon assembly paste between bars and stem?

Thanks! This could be the case. Yes, carbon assembly paste. Canyon is shipping another stem to try. In the meanwhile, the bicycle is rideable.

I am pleasantly surprised by the shifting, very smooth - except for some gears, in which a clicking noise is evident, and sometimes the chain seems "in between" two gears, requiring another shift upwards or downwards to fix. I was in a rushed ride so didn't have time to take note of what gear/s it happens in. Could this be cross chaining or does the rear derailleur need adjustment? I don't know if I would be surprised, considering the bike was shipped to me in a box and handled god knows how en route.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

DevCore posted:

And thanks or the recommendations. I didn't realize front racks price points started so high, I assumed they'd be around the same as rear racks which start at $35 and go up.

Front racks are mostly expensive cause they are hype, but not so hype that there's quite the same amount of production as rear racks.

Depending on what you want to carry on the front a reasonably priced front rack + wald basket can get you most of the way there for reasonable cost instead of one of the expensive wide pizza racks.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Thom ZombieForm posted:

Thanks! This could be the case. Yes, carbon assembly paste. Canyon is shipping another stem to try. In the meanwhile, the bicycle is rideable.

I am pleasantly surprised by the shifting, very smooth - except for some gears, in which a clicking noise is evident, and sometimes the chain seems "in between" two gears, requiring another shift upwards or downwards to fix. I was in a rushed ride so didn't have time to take note of what gear/s it happens in. Could this be cross chaining or does the rear derailleur need adjustment? I don't know if I would be surprised, considering the bike was shipped to me in a box and handled god knows how en route.
No, there is a reason for that bolt. If the stem fails while you are riding you will probably crash.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

DevCore posted:

Minoura Gamoh and Basil Portland are, I think, the two cheapest available porter style racks where I am. The cheaper you go with racks the more frustrating they tend to be though: rattly fixings, cheese bolts and less adjustability. If you're OK with putting a bit of time into setting them up and maybe replacing a bolt or two they're fine.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Anybody have any recommendations on cheap and cheerful truing stands? I want to rebuild a bent to poo poo real wheel in the most inconvenient way possible (high flange hub, 27" rim, 4-cross lacing) and rather than pay the LBS I thought it would be a good excuse to work on a skill.

The cheapest option would be to just do it with the wheel on the bike and just use a pen or something to check the rim, but I'm expecting that to be frustrating and looking to make my life simpler. The Park Tools TS-8 is available here but at $180 CAD is probably a bit steep for what's basically a whim. Other options are crappy Chinese eBay things, but they look a bit poo poo and I don't want to wait 60 days to have it shipped over. Thoughts?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

dieselfruit posted:

Anybody have any recommendations on cheap and cheerful truing stands? I want to rebuild a bent to poo poo real wheel in the most inconvenient way possible (high flange hub, 27" rim, 4-cross lacing) and rather than pay the LBS I thought it would be a good excuse to work on a skill.

The cheapest option would be to just do it with the wheel on the bike and just use a pen or something to check the rim, but I'm expecting that to be frustrating and looking to make my life simpler. The Park Tools TS-8 is available here but at $180 CAD is probably a bit steep for what's basically a whim. Other options are crappy Chinese eBay things, but they look a bit poo poo and I don't want to wait 60 days to have it shipped over. Thoughts?
I don't think I could justify spending that much on a stand that isn't shop quality.

If you want to buy something, get a good dishing guage and just use whatever you can to hold the wheel. If you enjoy the experience, keep an eye out for a good used stand. You'll still need the dishing tool because stands go out of center all the time.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

dieselfruit posted:

I used to use a couple of cable ties for wheel straightening, Use a reasonably large size and put one on either seat stay if you cut them off and leave a pointed end you can twist them around to adjust the gap between the end of the cable tie and brake track. to check wheel dish just reverse the wheel in the frame.
This explains it better. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6t5g46

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Do I need an adapter to change from a FSA crank with a press fit BB (this is an older Cervelo frame so I think it's a BBright style)? I don't need to swap the BB for any particular reason but changing from the FSA crank it came with to a R7000 crank...Shimano documation doesn't mention anything for using their BBs but seems like wheels manufacturing makes an adapter...?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Levitate posted:

Do I need an adapter to change from a FSA crank with a press fit BB (this is an older Cervelo frame so I think it's a BBright style)? I don't need to swap the BB for any particular reason but changing from the FSA crank it came with to a R7000 crank...Shimano documation doesn't mention anything for using their BBs but seems like wheels manufacturing makes an adapter...?

Not sure how or if it’s changed but when i moved to a Shimano crank on a press fit frame i had to get a new BB.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Levitate posted:

BBright is just another version of BB30 that’s a little wider (but not as wide as BB386). A shimano crank will work with the appropriate spacers.

fake e:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008OH9FT8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_3gI2FbNYN1SHZ

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

yeah just found that, I guess the thing is the spindle size as BBRight is for 30mm spindles and Shimano stuff is 24

Since the BB doesn't creak and seems to spin fine I'd rather not replace it if I can avoid that and will just try the adapter...and have to figure out chainline and spacers :cry:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I don't care if I have to screw it in with a wrench, press it in with a bearing press, or hammer it in with my face, I just want us to go back to one loving BB standard.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

EvilJoven posted:

I don't care if I have to screw it in with a wrench, press it in with a bearing press, or hammer it in with my face, I just want us to go back to one loving BB standard.

Swiss it is!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Levitate posted:

yeah just found that, I guess the thing is the spindle size as BBRight is for 30mm spindles and Shimano stuff is 24

Since the BB doesn't creak and seems to spin fine I'd rather not replace it if I can avoid that and will just try the adapter...and have to figure out chainline and spacers :cry:

I’d for sure do spacers before dealing with pressfit malarkey if the BB itself is fine.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bbright/bbright-adapters/bbright-adapter-for-shimano-cranks.html

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

yeah thats what epilot linked

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

My mistake. I can't read.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

so hmm...I guess the best move is just to measure the existing clearance with the current crankset and when I install the adapater and new crankset, make sure the chainring and crank clearance is the same and if not, add spacers as needed
Or I guess go through the trouble of measuring the actual chainline and such

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
I just installed a new 11sp 105 chain and 11x34 cassette on an 11sp Ultegra long cage rear derailleur. I'm getting a strange knocking in the rear derailleur in the smallest three cogs mostly and am having a hell of a time figuring out what's going on. Shifting is otherwise smooth and the chain doesn't seem to be skipping. Any ideas?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

In which ring up front? Small ring will probably make noise in those gears.

Large ring, have you tried the barrel adjuster to change the cable tension? Quarter turn clockwise see if it gets better or worse, repeat as necessary or try the other direction.
Finally, derailleur hanger might be bent a bit which could cause issues

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kgibson posted:

11x34 cassette on an 11sp Ultegra long cage rear derailleur. I'm getting a strange knocking in the rear derailleur

Is it the MTB/10spd freehub width that needs a spacer for 11spd freehub bodies? If it's sliding loose on there, that would normally cause weird shifting behavior, but if only some of the smaller cogs are loosies, maybe what you're feeling is the whole cassette sliding left and right?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yes it would be. All the shimano 11s cassettes with a 34t or larger cog fit on 10s freehubs and need a spacer with 11s hubs.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Thanks all. Yes, I have the correct spacer installed.
I've done lots of cable tension adjusting, checked the B-screw, taken off the wheel and re-tightened the cassette lockring. I had a fleeting that that maybe I sized the chain incorrectly but it seems fine after doing a bit of research. As far as the noise, it seems worst in the big ring and the smallest three cogs but I'm not feeling any play in the cassette itself. Anything I'm missing? The only other thought I had was that I had pulled the pulleys off and thoroughly cleaned them; maybe I overdid it?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My 2x10 Deore XT bike has “HG-X chain only” on the chainring. I’d rather use a connex chain. What’s the downside of using a non HG-X chain?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Shimano gets super duper mad at you for not buying their chain.

Also maaaaaybe it won't shift quite as nice but you probably won't even notice.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
I hate the connecting pins on Shimano chains so whatever minimal performance loss by going to kmc (or similar) is worth the missing link.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
SRAM quicklinks work on Shimano 9-11 speed. KMC also sells quicklinks separately.

Also Shimano 11 and 12s chains now have quicklinks.

One thing though is when using Shimano SRAM or KMC for any speed above 8 you can't keep pulling them apart like connex links. The manual says you can remove and reinstall 9 speeds a few times but I find the second time it's super loose.

That being said the trick to master pins is to both remove normal pins and in install master pins (dont remove master pins, also dont break chains by pushing a normal pin out part way then back in) by pushing them through back to front.

Edited for clarity.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 17, 2020

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
I'm not sure I understand still, and this is a part of bike mechanics I'd like to get straight. So I should push out the normal pins and then use a spare master pin (or quicklink) to reconnect the link?

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Al2001 posted:

I'm not sure I understand still, and this is a part of bike mechanics I'd like to get straight. So I should push out the normal pins and then use a spare master pin (or quicklink) to reconnect the link?

yes!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yup. Pushing a pin out far enough to break the chain leaving one end in the outer plate and then pushing the same pin back in risks the chain coming apart under load. It was fine on old wide arse chains with a lot of material on the outer plate but not advisable in any modern bike chain. Anyone who says otherwise is risking their anatomy to save a few bucks on a master pin/quicklink.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
no wippermann connex no care :colbert:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

no wippermann connex no care :colbert:

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003

kgibson posted:

Thanks all. Yes, I have the correct spacer installed.
I've done lots of cable tension adjusting, checked the B-screw, taken off the wheel and re-tightened the cassette lockring. I had a fleeting that that maybe I sized the chain incorrectly but it seems fine after doing a bit of research. As far as the noise, it seems worst in the big ring and the smallest three cogs but I'm not feeling any play in the cassette itself. Anything I'm missing? The only other thought I had was that I had pulled the pulleys off and thoroughly cleaned them; maybe I overdid it?

Hey all, still no luck with this issue. I did end up swapping out pulleys and retrying b-screw and cable tension adjustments to no avail. I also tried adjusting the tension on the chain by moving the wheels around in the dropouts, but that didn't make much difference at all. I grabbed a quick vid of the noise I'm trying to address:

https://imgur.com/UwrgWLA

(Sorry for the shakiness and portrait orientation.)

The clicking in the third to smallest cog is the issue. The same noise is present to a lesser extent in the fourth largest. They seem worse in the small ring but are present in both.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

That's some pretty exhaustive troubleshooting. Maybe check the alignment of your derailleur hanger?

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Yeah, that seems to be the direction this is headed... (and it will give me an excuse to spend $ on a new tool)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Copy/paste from the main thread because I forgot there was a maintenance thread.

Started my rebuild on this yesterday.

Found an almost flawless pair of Ultegra RS-685; shifters for $75 so that decided the path of my build. I grabbed a matching long cage rear derailleur, 105 hydraulic brakes, Dura-Ace cabling, all the poo poo to convert to hydraulic, Cadence bar tape and some SKS fenders I’m probably gonna return and get PDWs.

Wanted a pair of Ultegra or GRX brakes, but there were none in Portland, I could only find rears. Same for the front derailleur. There was one shop in town that had a GRX front that would work, but they’re closed on Sunday’s apparently. So I’m gonna stick with the 105 that’s on there for now.

Chose the wrong weekend to do this since there’s not enough space in my garage to set up my stand. I had enough time to strip everything in the driveway yesterday before the big rains hit, and then had to relocate to my office and go with the old “seat and bars” work stand. Hope it dries up enough later so when I finally have it all together I can get the brakes bled etc.

Anything I need to watch out for setting up these brakes? I’ve never done anything with hydraulic brakes on a bike, so any advice would be appreciated. Getting those copper inserts into the end of each line proved too much with the rain (my bench vise is not easily accessed).

The rain never let up so I basically just hosed with different cabling configs, got high and cleaned things up. Each set of bearings on this bike are amazing. Give either of the wheels a slight bit of effort and that poo poo quietly spins forever.