Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Waltzing Along posted:

Also, Japan knows how to do Halloween.

Ok, that's much better than the burger troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Have a question if someone might be able to help me.
I'm looking to spend some time in Japan next year, but I obviously want to avoid infecting anyone. Since I live in New Zealand outside of Auckland or any major city the chances of me bringing infection are practically nil. Thing is, I'd like to go around April, which is before the vaccine arrives in NZ. Japan also doesn't have an isolation policy with NZ travelers, so in theory, I could go there around that time without issue.

Question is, which I haven't been able to find an answer to, is whether Japan has enough doses to treat visitors anyway. I don't want to take the place of anyone who actually lives there and needs it, so if it forces anyone off the system that's a no-go. I'm also a bit too close to this since I've been going mad from a few different unrelated and uninfectious health conditions this year, so I could use some outside opinions on whether my line of thinking is just me being a selfish dick.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

They're not going to vaccinate you on arrival. Even if they did, you would probably still need to quarantine after.

Many doses won't even be delivered until next summer.

Tourist visas aren't available for anyone right now, but Australia and New Zealand residents aren't explicitly banned, so you can try applying anyway.

https://www.nz.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/visa_certificate_top.html

https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html

peanut fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 20, 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

in addition to Peanut's answer

Bushmaori posted:

Have a question if someone might be able to help me.
I'm looking to spend some time in Japan next year, but I obviously want to avoid infecting anyone. Since I live in New Zealand outside of Auckland or any major city the chances of me bringing infection are practically nil. Thing is, I'd like to go around April, which is before the vaccine arrives in NZ. Japan also doesn't have an isolation policy with NZ travelers, so in theory, I could go there around that time without issue.

Question is, which I haven't been able to find an answer to, is whether Japan has enough doses to treat visitors anyway. I don't want to take the place of anyone who actually lives there and needs it, so if it forces anyone off the system that's a no-go. I'm also a bit too close to this since I've been going mad from a few different unrelated and uninfectious health conditions this year, so I could use some outside opinions on whether my line of thinking is just me being a selfish dick.

Japan hasn't approved any vaccines for use yet (Pfizer applied just yesterday), they've confirmed the government will provide vaccines for residents, and the only thing I've heard about vaccinations starting is February for healthcare workers, possibly March for administration from municipal governments for residents.

So that's exactly zero about vaccinating tourists. I wouldn't bet on that happening.

As well, there has been discussion about a travel corridor for Australia, but nothing yet for NZ to my knowledge. In any case, travel has only been slightly opened for business, not for tourism, even in countries which have opened travel corridors as of now (including some SE Asian countries which have things under control as well). So you wouldn't be able to travel up in any case.

You won't be able to spend time in Japan next April. Japan will be here in the future.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The idea of ANY country vaccinating tourists is far-fetched. They have enough problems vaccinating their own population.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I have a hard time imagining any government being open to vaccinating tourists. Vaccinating you is your home country's problem, not the country you want to spend your vacation at.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Archer666 posted:

I have a hard time imagining any government being open to vaccinating tourists. Vaccinating you is your home country's problem, not the country you want to spend your vacation at.

For some reason Japan seems to attract tourists with a phenomenal degree of self regard. There was some guy earlier in the thread that seemed to think Japan's economy was gonna collapse because he had to delay his plans to visit.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Familymart stock lives and dies by my spending.

It’s an awful responsibility but I will carry this burden.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
お世話になっております。

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Thank much guys, apparently my internet search game is weak af. I have my answer, so now I'm hoping July.

e: or poo poo, November would work, as long as I don't lose my mind by then

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Bushmaori posted:

Thank much guys, apparently my internet search game is weak af. I have my answer, so now I'm hoping July.

e: or poo poo, November would work, as long as I don't lose my mind by then

July is olympics time, right? Prepare for prices soaring and limited lodging available. Oh, and high temps and humidity.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

July is olympics time, right? Prepare for prices soaring and limited lodging available. Oh, and high temps and humidity.

I'll be staying well away from Tokyo, and if I can handle Thailand I think I can probably manage Japan.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bushmaori posted:

I'll be staying well away from Tokyo, and if I can handle Thailand I think I can probably manage Japan.

You'd think that, but having done both, Japan summer was worse. I'd say Japanese summer is the worst I've experienced, with Las Vegas summer and Thailand/Malaysia second and third.

An underappreciated part is in places like Vegas or Bangkok, they get how air conditioning works so you can find relief. Japan, like Korea, seems to go out of its way to suffer through heat and cold rather than doing anything to mitigate it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Grand Fromage posted:

You'd think that, but having done both, Japan summer was worse. I'd say Japanese summer is the worst I've experienced, with Las Vegas summer and Thailand/Malaysia second and third.

An underappreciated part is in places like Vegas or Bangkok, they get how air conditioning works so you can find relief. Japan, like Korea, seems to go out of its way to suffer through heat and cold rather than doing anything to mitigate it.

Yeah. Winter is bad, too. It's 40 degrees out, you go into some restaurant all bundled up and it's 80 in the restaurant. Japan just doesn't get AC and heating.

Also, heat and humidity is worse in a concrete jungle than in a place that has foliage everywhere.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

i went from a month in bangkok to tokyo, i thought they were both really bad but tokyo's summer has a deep, penetrating quality. in thailand i felt uncomfortable but if i was sitting outside with a cold drink it was nice, not so much in tokyo

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
@stringent which is worse in summer: NC or Tokyo/Japan

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Tokyo is worse because of all the concrete, Japan in general is about on par.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bushmaori posted:

Flights are going to be insane though.

plus yeah summertime melts gaijin, just don't.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Eh, inclined to disagree that Japan summer is worse particularly than SEA. Much of a muchness in the bigger cities, and Japan has more and better air-con. Tonnes of places to duck into, vending machines everywhere you turn too. You can go a lot of tropical-climate destinations that are less accommodating.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Kyoto is in a basin so it's summers are extra fun and by fun I mean feeling like you're in an oven.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah 盆地 no fun in the summertime.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Hi thread! I'm writing a story set in Japan on Christmas Eve, and I'd like to know what it's like there on that day, in major cities. From what I've researched, it's a romantic day for couples, so much that single people apparently try not to be seen alone on that day (is this true lol).

Just a couple of questions:
1. Are the streets full of couples on that day?
2. Would it be hard to find a restaurant that isn't crowded?
3. If a work colleague invites you to dinner on Christmas Eve (to celebrate a work thing), would it feel weird? (like, you'd ask yourself why on Christmas Eve in particular)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

1. Some but many people have normal work hours.
2. It depends on the restaurant. Ramen and 100 yen sushi you can always get a seat if you wait.
3. Are both characters Japanese? Gaijins? Single, possible dating material?
First, I'd assume it was a date (murder date?) If we are both gaijins then we are just planning to enjoy comfort food together.

peanut fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 21, 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

3. If a work colleague invites you to dinner on Christmas Eve (to celebrate a work thing), would it feel weird? (like, you'd ask yourself why on Christmas Eve in particular)

most any kind of 'individual invitations' from work colleagues would be read as a date in Japanese culture, if people from work decide to go out it's usually as a group. This would go extra for a man asking a woman (as I would presume, from a very cis-het point of view) inside the same company.

but this time of year (as it comes to the end of the year and the last working days for companies) are also when Bounenkai happen and that could be something you use/involve instead?

peanut posted:

3. Are both characters Japanese? Gaijins? Single, possible dating material?
First, I'd assume it was a date (murder date?) If we are both gaijins then we are just planning to enjoy comfort food together.

I would imagine many gaijin who taught English in the countryside have a "students thought I was dating another school's English ALT because they were the only other foreigner in a ten km radius," I know I do.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Schneider Heim posted:

1. Are the streets full of couples on that day?

In the popular neighborhoods and high streets, in the evening, yeah.

Schneider Heim posted:

2. Would it be hard to find a restaurant that isn't crowded?

In the above-mentioned neighborhoods, yeah. Though, last year, on a whim a friend and I went to a pretty decent Spanish restaurant near the Christmas market by Toranomon Hills on Christmas Eve night no prob.

Schneider Heim posted:

C'mon, you already know the answer you want this to be. Go write it.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 21, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's slutty, very very slutty. Sempai will gag kohai with an unwrapped conbini onigiri and sodomize him with a KFC drumstick. Kohai keeps the tongari corn on his fingertips the whole night. They take different trains to work in the morning.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

peanut posted:

It's slutty, very very slutty. Sempai will gag kohai with an unwrapped conbini onigiri and sodomize him with a KFC drumstick. Kohai keeps the tongari corn on his fingertips the whole night. They take different trains to work in the morning.

I would read this.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks for the helpful responses!

To clarify:
1. They're both single Japanese girls
2. Girl A has a crush on Girl B, who agrees to it because Girl A's agency is paying for it (also being oblivious about the kind of stuff, but also because it would be their very first meeting in person. It's kinda complicated!). And the restaurant is the mega-fancy kind.

Also, about trains--I know that the trains don't run 24/7 in Japan, and for special days like Christmas there isn't exception either?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

peanut posted:

Schneider Heim posted:

Thanks for the helpful responses!

To clarify:
1. They're both single Japanese girls
2. Girl A has a crush on Girl B, who agrees to it because Girl A's agency is paying for it (also being oblivious about the kind of stuff, but also because it would be their very first meeting in person. It's kinda complicated!). And the restaurant is the mega-fancy kind.

Also, about trains--I know that the trains don't run 24/7 in Japan, and for special days like Christmas there isn't exception either?

Peanut right as usual

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Two Japanese girls hanging out often looks so much like a date I think sometimes neither of them are even sure.

Christmas is a Valentine's Day level "holiday" in Japan. No one is changing any train schedules.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

Christmas isn't a special day in Japan. New Year's Eve is the big "trains running all night" night, but not this year (because duh).

generally last train is about 12:30 am - 1 am.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Just two girls having a romantic christmas dinner at KFC while a santa Sanders watches on in the background.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Capsule hotels also have wide matress/2-person pods… and manga cafes have tatami rooms and showers… if they miss last train…

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I hear the real lesbian kfc christmas action is happening in Korea these days, Japan is all played out, just focus on Korea.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

peanut posted:

Capsule hotels also have wide matress/2-person pods… and manga cafes have tatami rooms and showers… if they miss last train…

You seen how much savings many urban young Japanese women have? They gotta live it up, get the nice place.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Also, Christmas is the day for taking down Christmas decorations. Work that into your story as some symbolic poo poo.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

peanut posted:

This not how I expected the Uzai Senpai series to end.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Daily cases at an all-time high. Glad to see their "a failed tourism industry for a penny, an unchecked and spreading pandemic for a penny, but see thou hurt not the blessed Olympics" strategy is having such thrilling payoffs

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the olympics can get hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's starting to look like Tokyo is going to take a bath when it comes to the olympics. Sucks because of any country they are one of the ones that would have done it best. Other than the crappy weather.