Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Zathril posted:

Off topic, but are there any other good room escape games on steam? I used to enjoy the flash ones but have only ever seen the room games recommended.
Zero Escape games on Steam are kind of giant escape the room titles but they're way heavier on the story aspect than actual puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Bhodi's (current acct name: "Johnny Widepeak") steam account seems compromised. Just got asked to vote for his team for some tourney.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

This "vote for my team" crap is like Steam's covid, apparently

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Heh, I got one of those messages from an old steam friend a month back or so.

Never knew it was a scam, I just didn't click the link because I'm lazy.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

People are just that credulous about helping people on their friends list. Such a clever scam.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Zathril posted:

Off topic, but are there any other good room escape games on steam? I used to enjoy the flash ones but have only ever seen the room games recommended.

Cube Escape!!!!

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Return of the Obra Dinn

Obra Dinn is one of the best puzzle games I've ever played.

What makes Obra Dinn just so good is the way you feel like a real detective as you slowly piece things together. There's (usually) no prescribed "this is how you solve this" way to get to an answer, just hints of information that you may or may not pick up on. Everyone playing will have a different How and When for each fate they come to a conclusion on, and you know that when you have a real "aha!" moment it's personal to you (well, except for the easy ones where it's like: "Hello Jim", "Hello Henry. Oh no why are you stabbing me?" *Scene of one man stabbing another*).

If I have one complaint it's that there's one key bit of information that's easy to overlook (at least it was for me) and it's basically the only way to identify a huge number of crewmembers.

That's a pretty minor thing in the grand scheme of it though. I love it and wish I could remove it from my brain so I could do it all over again.

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne

I've been playing Monster Hunter since 3 Ultimate. It's QoL was bad. It didn't explain anything well. It didn't respect my time. I dropped it like 3 times but kept coming back to. Then sometime around the 50 hour mark it suddenly clicked and I've been in love with the series ever since.

Monster Hunter World massively improved on the previous games in terms of visuals and QoL (at least, if you've played the series before. For new players it's still Pretty drat Bad). I loved the base game, despite having a few issues with it. Then Iceborne came along and fixed most of them.

The monster roster was massively expanded (if a little reliant on the return of old faithfuls), the challenge that I felt could sometimes be lacking was increased, wall-banging monsters with the clutch-claw feels amazing and, most importantly, navigating the town is no longer a massive ball-ache.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Squadrons single player was fine (and it's probably good in VR if you have a good headset/rig), if Project Wingman hadn't come out this year I would probably rate it as the best arcadey flight game this year... but lol that it got blown out of the sky by the Project

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Rage McDougal posted:

Return of the Obra Dinn

Obra Dinn is one of the best puzzle games I've ever played.

What makes Obra Dinn just so good is the way you feel like a real detective as you slowly piece things together. There's (usually) no prescribed "this is how you solve this" way to get to an answer, just hints of information that you may or may not pick up on. Everyone playing will have a different How and When for each fate they come to a conclusion on, and you know that when you have a real "aha!" moment it's personal to you (well, except for the easy ones where it's like: "Hello Jim", "Hello Henry. Oh no why are you stabbing me?" *Scene of one man stabbing another*).

If I have one complaint it's that there's one key bit of information that's easy to overlook (at least it was for me) and it's basically the only way to identify a huge number of crewmembers.

That's a pretty minor thing in the grand scheme of it though. I love it and wish I could remove it from my brain so I could do it all over again.

It's been on my wishlist for ages; you've sold me on it, cheers.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Serephina posted:

It's been on my wishlist for ages; you've sold me on it, cheers.

You wont regret it

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Is there a secret to enjoying the more abstract rouguelikes/lites? I "enjoy" Unreal World, but my patience with it is stretched quite a bit by the interface and presentation. The core idea and systems are great, though. Caves of Qud appeals to me for the same reasons, but I'm really turned off by having to remember keyboard commands for every little thing when a mouse based UI would be so much simpler. I also really do not like the ascii or tile art styles, which don't really have a reason to exist in 2020. Is there something like Rimworld, in the sense that it takes inspiration from Dwarf Fortress and simplifies but improves the presentation, out there?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

BrianRx posted:

Is there a secret to enjoying the more abstract rouguelikes/lites? I "enjoy" Unreal World, but my patience with it is stretched quite a bit by the interface and presentation. The core idea and systems are great, though. Caves of Qud appeals to me for the same reasons, but I'm really turned off by having to remember keyboard commands for every little thing when a mouse based UI would be so much simpler. I also really do not like the ascii or tile art styles, which don't really have a reason to exist in 2020. Is there something like Rimworld, in the sense that it takes inspiration from Dwarf Fortress and simplifies but improves the presentation, out there?

It's not a colony game like Dwarf Fortress but Cogmind is one of the more accessible "old-school" roguelikes that I'd recommend.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/722730/Cogmind/ ASCII/Tile based but I find they make really good use of that artstyle.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 20, 2020

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

turn based roguelike with modern qol and no ascii/tiles

jupiter hell?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Clockwerk posted:

That's a steal. I went into Outer Wilds not knowing what to expect, and boy did it deliver

I never played a game where the progression from carefully using the controls, trying to be precise and coordinated turns to just sprinting nonstop and slamming the gas as hard as you can happens within the first 30 minutes.

It's a loving outstanding game and is easily worth full price much less a sale price.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Awesome! posted:

jupiter hell?

tome4 isn't modern but it has plenty of qol

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

For graphical rogue-likes with more modern UIs (that still play similarly to rogue), there's:
Dungeons of Dredmor
Tales of Maj'Eyal
Tangledeep
Dungeonmans (has a progression system that you can turn off if you prefer)
Sword of the Stars: The Pit

I think these all of these have UIs that contain all of the controls so you don't have to rely on memorized shortcuts. They also have simpler systems than the hardcore roguelikes (maybe not true for ToME? I haven't tried it).

If you like rhythm games, you should definitely try Crypt of the NecroDancer. It's rogue-style combate with a steady beat for actions and unique AI/movements for each enemy that turn them into pattern minigames. E: Also on sale for super-duper cheap.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 20, 2020

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ToME is a weird one because you end up with a really complicated skill tree and a ton of active/modal skills on a skill bar. Its an easy transition for some-one who has played a lot of diablo-likes or mmos.

Dredmor is the one I’d feel safest recommending to just anybody getting into the genre. Clean design, lots of depth once you get into it. But I haven’t tried Qud, maybe that’s better?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I have a lot of fun with Caverns of Xaskazien-ii. You don't need to watch the tutorial video to figure out everything. It's rare for a rouge-like to have every tile's effect and monster capability stated on the description.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Pierson posted:

Are there any other games like Glass Masquerade? Basically; very aesthetically pretty but fairly simple puzzle games? My mom loved them and wants some more puzzle games for Christmas but Steam wants to recommend a bunch of FPS games with puzzle elements, or complex 3D puzzle environments, and stuff like that. She really just wants something more complex than jigsaws and prettier, but not more complex than Solitaire.

It's not quite as chill as Glass Masquerade, but she might enjoy Atlantis: Pearls of the Deep and the follow-up League of Mermaids. They're physics-based ball-dropping match-3 puzzles. The music is Zen, the physics decent enough, and the mission goals are tiered so that it's pretty easy to clear missions but some of the goals can be a bit more challenging.

They pretty regularly go on sale for a buck each.

E: Also maybe hidden object games? I'm definitely not the person to give recommendations, though.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Fascinating that the writers of the Battlefront 2 story drew inspiration from Wimp Lo

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Rage McDougal posted:

Return of the Obra Dinn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX5RJ4OgvPM

:allears:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

BrianRx posted:

If you're almost gelling with URW and Qud I'd almost recommend Cataclysm: DDA (freeware!), but it has possibly the most keybindings of any of those games to try and keep memorized, not to mention 2 or 3 different submenus for crafting depending on whether the thing you're building is a "construction" or not. It sounds more like you're looking for the "emergent storytelling" brand of colony sim games. Oxygen Not Included has become one of my favourites next to DF, with the caveat that it's just as difficult to figure out how to "work with" the environment. Not because the interface is garbage (it's pretty decent), but because you have to learn the bizarre minutiae of all the systems, and (through trial and error) how this or that will bite you in the rear end if not accounted for, and then figure out a way to engineer around that. There's also maybe Prison Architect?

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 21, 2020

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So if I was going to spend $5 for either Ghost Recon Wildlands or Breakpoint, which would be best? I know Breakpoint was broke at release but I thought I read they 'fixed' it.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Pylons posted:

It's not a colony game like Dwarf Fortress but Cogmind is one of the more accessible "old-school" roguelikes that I'd recommend.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/722730/Cogmind/ ASCII/Tile based but I find they make really good use of that artstyle.

Thanks, the premise sounds incredible, but I don't think I can deal with the art right now. I"m following it for when/in case I get more used to the genre. I don't need 3d graphics, just easy to parse with animations, like the mentioned rimworld or prison architect.

Awesome! posted:

jupiter hell?

Yes! This looks awesome! Going to check it out.

Stickman posted:

Sword of the Stars: The Pit

If you like rhythm games, you should definitely try Crypt of the NecroDancer. It's rogue-style combate with a steady beat for actions and unique AI/movements for each enemy that turn them into pattern minigames. E: Also on sale for super-duper cheap.

Wishlisted Sword of the Stars for when I have access to a PC again. Currently on an old macbook, but it looks like what I had in mind. I haven't tried Necrodancer (or rhythm games in general) but I do also play music so it seems like it should be a good fit. I'll check it out.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

If you're almost gelling with URW and Qud I'd almost recommend Cataclysm: DDA (freeware!), but it has possibly the most keybindings of any of those games to try and keep memorized, not to mention 2 or 3 different submenus for crafting depending on whether the thing you're building is a "construction" or not. It sounds more like you're looking for the "emergent storytelling" brand of colony sim games. Oxygen Not Included has become one of my favourites next to DF, with the caveat that it's just as difficult to figure out how to "work with" the environment. Not because the interface is garbage (it's pretty decent), but because you have to learn the bizarre minutiae of all the systems, and (through trial and error) how this or that will bite you in the rear end if not accounted for, and then figure out a way to engineer around that. There's also maybe Prison Architect?

Cataclysm is really appealing, but as you mentioned, poor QoL. It's actually one of the reasons I asked this question. The genre allows for some really creative games and ideas, but the combination of learning curve and limited time for games kind of "prices me out" of a lot of them it seems. Colony building isn't so important, more setting and interactibility of the world, so I think I lean toward RPGs.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I think I've got some options for an entry point.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So if I was going to spend $5 for either Ghost Recon Wildlands or Breakpoint, which would be best? I know Breakpoint was broke at release but I thought I read they 'fixed' it.

Breakpoint has the dumb AI buddies from Wildlands now, basically the same general game loop, doesn't need a disclaimer at the beginning apologizing to an actual country because it's set on libertarian fantasy island, and lets you kill the Punisher

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Karma Tornado posted:

Breakpoint has the dumb AI buddies from Wildlands now, basically the same general game loop, doesn't need a disclaimer at the beginning apologizing to an actual country because it's set on libertarian fantasy island, and lets you kill the Punisher

To add to this, Breakpoint is in a pretty good place now, especially for a solo player. The AI squad is useful (because they stack with the sync shot drone). The map is smaller but still huge, and "libertarian fantasy island" is a pretty accurate description. One of the latest big patches added a toggle for friendly rebels as well as the overhead drones that call enemies to your location if they spot you. Ghost Mode or whatever it's called lets you disable the gear score and the difficulty options are really good and customizable, even in multiplayer. I played with a couple buddies who had the gear score and all the map highlights and everything turned on, while I have most of that turned off or at minimal settings. Nobody had to be annoyed that things were too easy/difficult for them; it's a pretty good setup.

That said, Breakpoint is definitely a lot buggier than I remember Wildlands being. Sometimes I just can't use my items (grenades, sync shot) or fire my weapon. It works one minute, and then it doesn't. Loading the last checkpoint will usually fix it (until it happens again), and there's very little mention of it on the official bug report forum (and when it is, it's from at least a year ago, and I'm pretty sure the answer was "load the last checkpoint"). Other times, I'm able to play the game for hours without any problems.

I'd recommend Breakpoint over Wildlands. When/if you finish it and are aching for more Modern-Day Ubisoft Collect-A-Thon-ing (and way more usage of the term "shitballs"), then go ahead and pick up Wildlands later. I know some people think it's some sort of heresy to play games in anything but sequential order, but you're honestly not missing much by jumping directly to Breakpoint. I don't think anyone is playing the modern Ghost Recon games for the story (and there's barely a connection between the games anyway). It's all about the tacticool Barbie dress-ups and clearing out bases without being spotted. :)

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 21, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Finished Raging Loop, and god it's nice to finish a visual novel that isn't 999+ hours long (Umineko...)

Loved the plot of this one! A dude heads into the mountains on a bike ride and winds up stuck in a Werewolf/Mafia game in a rural Japanese village, and then he winds up in a groundhog day time loop, and it's a fascinating way to explore that type of game, where the stakes are actually "real" and you have to figure out who the werewolf is before he eats you. Good stuff.

I think I'm in the minority but I even loved the ending and how it all wrapped together, and I LOVED that they added a "NG+" type mode to the game where it revealed the secret thoughts and scenes of each route, to explain what was going on. I wish more mind-bending VNs would do this, even if it's a little redundant!

Overall the whole thing took me twenty hours and I loved a lot of it. Great stuff, great horror, great mystery. :toot:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Can't believe they didn't call it Raging Loup

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hub Cat posted:

:shittypop:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Awesome! posted:

jupiter hell?

One Way Heroics was already perfect and doesn't need any additional QOL

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Hub Cat posted:

:thejoke:

They make a lot of plays on the phrase, and it's even worse/better in Japanese.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

jupiter hell?

Jupiter Hell is really good and feels very modern, but is definitely on a grid

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Kentucky Route 0: A game by theater kids, for theater kids.

It ran around in my head constantly while playing it, and there are a few, few good bits I enjoyed but overall the game I experienced was meandering and confused.

I only stuck with it because for 7 years every time it comes up or was on sale multiple people would rush in to praise it and say even if its unfinished what was there was absolutely worth the money. I literally did not get it, and I can see that so many things are linked or connected in some minor way, but then the way the ending wraps up...what's the loving point? What that supposed to be the meaning? That's the problem with this either it's overthinking to the max or the game just wasn't that good to justify all these connections I'm trying to make.

Maybe I missed ~50% of the content from a single playthrough. I only got 1/2 of the achievements and KR0 did kind of give the "new game+" vibe like Oxenfree but I can't be bothered to even google and check if that's a thing.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

BrianRx posted:

There’s a free rogue like called Powder that tries to distill the genre into something a little more intuitive and better looking. I haven’t played it for years but it was one of my favorites

http://www.zincland.com/powder/index.php?pagename=about

Looks like there’s an iOS version now too, I might give it a go

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

pentyne posted:

Kentucky Route 0: A game by theater kids, for theater kids.

It ran around in my head constantly while playing it, and there are a few, few good bits I enjoyed but overall the game I experienced was meandering and confused.

I only stuck with it because for 7 years every time it comes up or was on sale multiple people would rush in to praise it and say even if its unfinished what was there was absolutely worth the money. I literally did not get it, and I can see that so many things are linked or connected in some minor way, but then the way the ending wraps up...what's the loving point? What that supposed to be the meaning? That's the problem with this either it's overthinking to the max or the game just wasn't that good to justify all these connections I'm trying to make.

Maybe I missed ~50% of the content from a single playthrough. I only got 1/2 of the achievements and KR0 did kind of give the "new game+" vibe like Oxenfree but I can't be bothered to even google and check if that's a thing.

there isnt really any single thing to 'get' about kentucky route zero, its a magical realism road trip riffing on a few central themes like debt and community. it's carried on the sheer strength of its moment-to-moment writing that's only real equal in video games is like, disco elysium and pathologic? and through the game's five acts it continually mixes things up in different interesting ways, especially exemplified by the interludes

as far as replaying goes it definitely isnt an oxenfree situation, the dialogue trees can branch significantly but it's in a "you get a different interesting anecdote" way instead of a "things actually change" way. there are mutually exclusive scenes (like everything in act four) and one particular missable chunk of content that unlocks the final interlude, but it's nothing that'd sell you on the game if you weren't already feeling it

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 21, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Honesty if KR0 had just been a series of those interludes it would gone up to a 8-9/10 easily. Forcing it packaged as individual acts and having to make it have the wander and look gamplay was a distraction from the surreal atmosphere.

The best parts of the game were the "on rails" stuff by a lot. The more I had to click around and search the less interesting the game got.

The Hard Times distillery for example, it's explained in a subtle yet perfect way by a couple of lines in an interlude, then all the wandering and clicking on objects of interest while actually there kind of cheapens the whole experience.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Fruits of the sea posted:

ToME is a weird one because you end up with a really complicated skill tree and a ton of active/modal skills on a skill bar. Its an easy transition for some-one who has played a lot of diablo-likes or mmos.

Dredmor is the one I’d feel safest recommending to just anybody getting into the genre. Clean design, lots of depth once you get into it. But I haven’t tried Qud, maybe that’s better?

Qud is still waiting on a big UI overhaul that will make it more accessible. Currently it still has a bunch of old-school roguelike design in that aspect, although not as bad as like NetHack or whatever.

Dredmor is definitely the easiest to play of all traditional roguelikes. It also helps that it is more traditional the Qud or even Tangledeep. There's no town, no other locations to worry about, just the one big dungeon. It's a real shame the developers tried to make that crazy city builder thing and went out of business.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

AngelesXO posted:

You wont regret it

I regret playing Obra Dinn because now I can't play it for the first time again. :(

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Fat Samurai posted:

I regret playing Obra Dinn because now I can't play it for the first time again. :(
:(:hf::(

Obra Dinn is one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
to quote a YouTube comment from the Obra Dinn soundtrack that someone linked earlier:

"hype for 5 years from now when I've forgotten everyone's fates"