Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I made it quite far my first run in 17 hours without ever figuring out the tram, acid, or buying a lantern.

I put the game down for so long I'm coming back in fresh from the start and saving for a lantern currently.

Yes it was frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Finally went back and got the "beat the game at maxed out completion %" achievement and after four or five attempts at beating the final boss I'm fairly confident in saying that I won't bother beating Pantheon 5. Probably going to start a new game with some of my upcoming time off, I haven't played through it since all of the DLC was released.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I made it quite far my first run in 17 hours without ever figuring out the tram, acid, or buying a lantern.

I put the game down for so long I'm coming back in fresh from the start and saving for a lantern currently.

Yes it was frustrating.

Yeah the lamp is near-mandatory for beating the game and I think the game needs to do a slightly better job of pointing this out, or making it a little easier to obtain.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
How on Earth are people not seeing the lantern as a medium-term objective to buy? There's like rooms everywhere that need it, some just off of Forgotten Crossroads I think? It's like the one big money pressure presented to the player at game start.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I thought people grinding unnecessarily for the lantern was a bigger problem than people not getting it at all. A game like this is always going to find it difficult to indicate when things "should" be done while retaining the freedom for players to do all sorts of different things. It's a feature not a bug that a player sufficiently determined to go down and right can get to the downest rightest parts of the map while missing out on everything else.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

There is at least one pitch-dark room in Forgotten Crossroads, and either way even playing for the first time my logic went "if this is so friggin' expensive, I gotta have it ASAP". I guess that's metagaming, sort of? There's only so much worthwhile-seeming junk to buy before you can get to Salubra, anyway.

I've never went into the city through the front door, either, I'm still not sure how to do that :v:

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

You actually do need the lantern to open locked doors in the dark, and Distant Village is behind one.

You probably wouldn't know this because why would you go that far into Deepnest without a lantern in the first place.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

fractalairduct posted:

You actually do need the lantern to open locked doors in the dark, and Distant Village is behind one.

You probably wouldn't know this because why would you go that far into Deepnest without a lantern in the first place.

haha yeah why would anyone do such a stupid thing :shepface:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For many folks this is the first game they’ve played where the game actually punishes you for dying, I don’t think people are farming unnecessarily for the lantern I think they are just scared that they won’t ever be able to afford it because they keep dying.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Part of my determination to keep pushing forward was "they HAVE to give me a fast travel somewhere! I've got all these coins I need to use to buy that lantern!" :v:

Now I ha e the damned lantern and the first place I used it led me to this gigantic crystal mine that's taking me forever to explore

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
You’re doing great, keep exploring. Although I’ll just tell you ahead of time that what’s kind of amusing for those of us reading along is that after all that time looking for stag stations you’re now in the one major area without a stag station. But you might find some other ways around.

In the end, the game is almost comically open-ended and the only real good advice for any challenge in the game is:

don’t give up skeleton

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
skeleton?

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

OzFactor posted:

don’t give up skeleton

Yeah this. I'm trying to pick up HK again after a few weeks of playing Control, and now my muscle memory is hosed up. Gonna have to do some wandering around and fighting randos until I get my groove back.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

OzFactor posted:

don’t give up skeleton

Hollow Knight - don’t give up skeleton

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

OzFactor posted:

don’t give up exoskeleton

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

See you Space Cowboy

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I never thought of that; What is Zote made out of? He's can't a "Sibling", but looks exactly like them, and his remains imply that he's made of mask and cloak same as the Knight.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Serephina posted:

I never thought of that; What is Zote made out of? He's can't a "Sibling", but looks exactly like them, and his remains imply that he's made of mask and cloak same as the Knight.

the rest of him was just eaten

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cartoon Man posted:

See you Space Cowboy

Reporting this sick filth.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Cartoon Man posted:

See you Space Cowboy

Mods?!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i completed p5 and i say gently caress zote

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Serephina posted:

Yeah I think about that sometimes too - I guess the knight's mask/cloak combo is actually a normal way for bugs to dress? Hornet is essentially dressed the same way, and Nosk has clearly eaten a bunch of similar looking folks.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I think the devs said somewhere that zote is just a bug that looks a lot like you because he's supposed to be your uh nemesis i guess. don't remember the wording

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

b_d posted:

gently caress zote

Yep. The real warriors don't have to brag about their exploits. Cloth 4 Lyfe

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Serephina posted:

Why can't he be a sibling?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Why can't he be a sibling?

He talks

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

so does Hornet though, and she only differs from a Sibling only in that she has a will of her own

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

so does Hornet though, and she only differs from a Sibling only in that she has a will of her own

Uh, no she differs very heavily given that she is the child of Herrah.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Uh, no she differs very heavily given that she is the child of Herrah.

She's either adopted or it's the same process that produced the Vessels, just with Herrah standing in for the White Lady.

quote:

Though our strength is born of similar source, that part of you, that crucial emptiness, I do not share.

quote:

Ghost of Hallownest, you possess the strength to enact an end of your choosing. Would you supplant our birth-cursed sibling, or would you transcend it?

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 23, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
It was kinda dropped but still works and I love the concept for Hornet as the "Princess of Three Queens"; being born of the White Lady given and raised by Herrah and finally trained by Vespa the Bee Queen

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
It's unclear whether the Vessels' inability to speak is congenital or socially imparted, but I choose to believe the latter - Hornet, for example, can speak not because she's biologically capable, but rather, wasn't told all her life not to do so.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

She's either adopted or it's the same process that produced the Vessels, just with Herrah standing in for the White Lady.

Neither of those things indicate that Hornet was made in the same way as the vessels.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Neither of those things indicate that Hornet was made in the same way as the vessels.

i disagree

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There is no evidence that Hornet is void. There is copious evidence that she is NOT void.

Hornet was part of a bargain between her mother and Hallownest proper for a child. Having a child was the goal - she was not brought into the world to battle or seal the Radience herself, but to ensure Deepnest's cooperation with the dreamer seal plan. Why would her mother desire an empty husk for a child?

The entire point of the Siblings was to create a pure vessel, bereft of emotion or will, that could contain the Radience. This is the only reason void - an incredibly dangerous, powerful, unpredictable and even malicious - force was considered. The side effects are severe.

Hornet isn't void and if Silksong confirms otherwise, ban me. :toxx:

Also, Hornet is Herrah's biological child with the Pale King. The White Lady refers to a "dalliance" - Herrah and the King hosed.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 23, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Strength born of similar source = the Pale King, her father and the Knight's creator. She even says that she lacks that emptiness because she is not a void being.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

The entire point of the Siblings was to create a pure vessel, bereft of emotion or will, that could contain the Radience. This is the only reason void - an incredibly dangerous, powerful, unpredictable and even malicious - force was considered. The side effects are severe.

All but one of them (and maybe not even then depending on how you interpret the endings) failed to live up to that standard. The original Hollow Knight possessed a will despite being made from the Void and was accordingly corrupted.

There's plenty of evidence that suggests that Hornet and the player share a common origin. There is none that rules being made of Void out, and the original point that started all of this -- that speech means you can't possibly be a sibling -- requires that.

DoctorWhat posted:

Also, Hornet is Herrah's biological child with the Pale King. The White Lady refers to a "dalliance" - Herrah and the King hosed.

She also describes the PC Hollow Knight as her "spawn." For what you're saying here to mean anything, she'd have to be speaking metaphorically in one case and literally in the other.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 23, 2020

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

She also describes the PC Hollow Knight as her "spawn." For what you're saying here to mean anything, she'd have to be speaking metaphorically in one case and literally in the other.

How? The PC & the OG hollow knight are the spawn of her and the king, Hornet is the spawn of Herrah & the king. Neither is metaphorical and it doesn't necessarily mean that Hornet & the PC are made of the same stuff, given that they're only half-siblings.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

How? The PC & the OG hollow knight are the spawn of her and the king, Hornet is the spawn of Herrah & the king. Neither is metaphorical and it doesn't necessarily mean that Hornet & the PC are made of the same stuff, given that they're only half-siblings.

I'm saying that a "Hornet is a biological birth" doesn't make a distinction between them, in response to a post suggesting it does.

I think she's made of Void because the source of the Hollow Knight's strength is the Void and because of the consistent use of "sibling." As for "necessarily" -- well, no, all of this is inference either way. But the original argument doesn't hinge on Hornet necessarily being Void or not, it hinges on her necessarily not even possibly being Void, or not.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Is muteness a requirement for being a vessel (or former vessel), though?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Is Gordon Freeman made of void?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
where do you guys get all this lore anyway?