Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

So weeds can only appear for the first time on empty sticks? Boy this system sounds like a lot, that thing with plants being able to grow TOO well is garbage. This sounds like I basically spend sessions mostly babysitting dirt to kill weeds, something I always just turn off on Agricraft so I can live my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Patware posted:

So weeds can only appear for the first time on empty sticks? Boy this system sounds like a lot, that thing with plants being able to grow TOO well is garbage. This sounds like I basically spend sessions mostly babysitting dirt to kill weeds, something I always just turn off on Agricraft so I can live my life

Weeds can only appear on empty sticks, yeah. When crossbreeding you have to babysit it or use weed-x, but if your crop sticks are full you'll never get weeds.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Weeds take a while to spread and kill crops, so it's more like "remember to check on them every half hour or so" rather than careful babysitting. It is absolutely a full manual process that requires a ton of attention. None of the crops are strictly necessary, they're just used by crazies who want FULL AUTOMATION on all resources ever. There are alternate crop sources for a lot of materials through Thaumic Bases which are much easier to get going (I highly recommend at least a few Redlons).

It is super nice to do a couple rows of gold oreberries and get a good patch of stickreed, but I wouldn't feel obligated to engage with the crops more than that. It can be a fun rewarding project but it might be easier on a server so someone can be the crops guy.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

One last question probably just to compare it to Agricraft mechanics: Do stats only rise when I breed plants? Will they spread to adjacent double-crops that aren't set up for cross breeding without increasing their stats?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I did it :toot:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Wooo! The MV tier really opens up here and there are a ton of paths you can follow. You can work on MV-tier machines like the electrolyzer and extruder that have MV-only recipes. You can pursue better power generation like the great king of gasses, Benzene. Thaumcraft opens up here, at least with the first tier of wand (make primal shrooms and redlons!). You can start production on plastic (polyethylene), make Super Tanks (hold 1k each!), and make a bunch more multiblocks. Also if you thought circuits sucked, they only get worse from here.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Wooo! The MV tier really opens up here and there are a ton of paths you can follow. You can work on MV-tier machines like the electrolyzer and extruder that have MV-only recipes. You can pursue better power generation like the great king of gasses, Benzene. Thaumcraft opens up here, at least with the first tier of wand (make primal shrooms and redlons!). You can start production on plastic (polyethylene), make Super Tanks (hold 1k each!), and make a bunch more multiblocks. Also if you thought circuits sucked, they only get worse from here.

Yeah, I'm ready for the choice paralysis factor to go from 40% to 80%. First thing will probably be benzene. I have been juicing all the charcoal out of my creosote -> steam power stack in preparation for it. Also, I think the extruder finally becomes useful in MV, which will make all the rods better since I don't have to melt all the steel dust in my ticon smeltery.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

on the one hand i just made my first railcraft iron tank and was boggling about how much iron was being used to make the smallest version

on the other i finally realized veins spawn in a grid, i thought it was semi-random, and now i'm working on finding a copper source i don't have to haul my rear end over two rivers for

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Patware posted:

on the one hand i just made my first railcraft iron tank and was boggling about how much iron was being used to make the smallest version

on the other i finally realized veins spawn in a grid, i thought it was semi-random, and now i'm working on finding a copper source i don't have to haul my rear end over two rivers for

There is no shame in cheating in a super high tech ore scanner.

Also, I too made a minimum sized iron tank with hand tools to store steam. 100% worth it. Trickle charge it, then run machines for a while, then go do something else while it fills.

Also, I spent a shitload of gear coins on LV circuit parts.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
You get a shitload of basic coins from mob-killing quests so you really should just spend them on whatever you feel like.
Circuit parts are definitely the best use since copper is such a pain in the rear end.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Also, I too made a minimum sized iron tank with hand tools to store steam. 100% worth it. Trickle charge it, then run machines for a while, then go do something else while it fills.

i used it for my creosote since my (currently 3) ovens were about to fill. i'm gonna go get another assfuck of iron to make one for steam

speaking of, i picked up a Copter Pack from a round robin lootgame (and a bunch of other wild poo poo) and can't figure out how to use it other than filling it up. isn't this thing supposed to have a shitload of functions?

EDIT: Is there a way to cheat experience onto a Tinker Tool because I absolutely just accidentally stuck my pickaxe on a wall while just beginning a mine and it clipped through something when I went to grab it back off and now it's GOD knows where EDIT EDIT: It was /leveluptool

Patware fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 20, 2020

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Also, I spent a shitload of gear coins on LV circuit parts.

This is a very good idea, especially for vacuum tubes which loving suck to make.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Blightfall so far: I've pillaged almost the entire floating city, I'm refraining from killing everyone on there because I want to capture them in safari nets for cloning later.

I found out that capured and released custom NPCs despawn if you leave them alone. I tried to make a zoo. Didn't work.

I Also found out that the way I'm supposed to do tech power is to use a laser with all yellow lenses for yellorite to power a reactor and go from there.

Also progress is slow.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't need that much yellorite the two games I played. Maybe I was lucky to find enough the run when I used a reactor, and I made it as efficient as possible by having the rods auto-controlled by energy storage levels.

If you don't know how that works, if you make a pair of Redstone Ports and connect them by some sort of redstone (MFR redstone cables are a popular choice), you can have one set to 'Rod Insertion Depth' and one set to 'Power level' and then the rods will be inserted the higher the internal storage is, such that when you have enough power in there you'll be using minimum possible yellorite.

The other run I just used Botania with a Mana Fluxfield setup. If you can get stable mana generation that's also a pretty good passive RF option.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i just spent ages building four centrifuges rather than four thermal centrifuges for my ore processing in gregtech :q:

i mean my understanding is that i can use them for rubber wood processing for fuel so it's not a waste, but it is enough to make me share this image of bad machines being punished by rain

e: lol at the "gating" of twilight forest

it's not significant, it's just a little slap in the balls for no real reason

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 20, 2020

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if anyone would be interested in a 1.16 sandbox pack/server. Currently looking at 126 mods based on what I've initially thrown together that I feel like playing with. Mostly because I decided I want to actually try out Create with the 0.3 release, and I figured I may as well check out what other mods have been doing post-1.12 too.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Dammit y’all stop making me want to play gtnh.

It’d be really fun with a small group.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i just spent ages building four centrifuges rather than four thermal centrifuges for my ore processing in gregtech :q:

i mean my understanding is that i can use them for rubber wood processing for fuel so it's not a waste, but it is enough to make me share this image of bad machines being punished by rain

well, centrifuging rubber wood is only slightly power positive, so it's really not much of a power generator. It's mostly good because if you keep it fed, you'll soon have unlimited wood dust, carbon, sticky resin, and plant balls, as well as an on-demand decent stock of methane for whatever chemical process you'd use that for.

and honestly i don't know what you'd use four of them for. i'd probably cheat myself back the materials if I did that.

what's your ore processing and power generation setup that you could afford to be running four thermal centrifuges in parallel? that's 8A of LV power to eke out an additional 1/9th of product out of your ores. for the extra power cost, you're probably better off going macerator->hammer->simple washer-> build a second ebf and get 1.5x ingots for your dusts. at least, that's what I did last world starting around late mv. before the second ebf i'm using 4x bricked blast furnaces.

Happy Hedonist posted:

Dammit y'all stop making me want to play gtnh.

It'd be really fun with a small group.
why do you think i post about it incessantly :twisted:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Happy Hedonist posted:

Hooplah posted:

what's your ore processing and power generation setup that you could afford to be running four thermal centrifuges in parallel?

grotesquely inadequate, it turns out

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Happy Hedonist posted:

here's a flowchart for automating your first electronic circuits (do not automate like this, there are exponentially more efficient recipes later on)

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Holy smokes! I’m working my way through Omnifactory and am having fun, but my brain keeps nagging me to try gtnh.

Why are there retrieval tasks? I didn’t see anything like that when I tried it last year. That flowchart doesn’t scare me off. I love that poo poo, I just didn’t enjoy finding ore.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

they redid the questbook to make things way more user friendly since you last played. the retrieval tasks just mean it checks that you have the total in your inventory. they don't have to be at the same time or in the same order, so if you skip a step you can go back and check it off later. there's a few crafting tasks at the very start but once you get machines and autocrafters there's too many ways to make a thing to check for the craft.

i played a few hours of omnifactory back before i started my second gtnh world, but i felt like i was blowing through tiers of machines before i even really had a chance to use them, and my brain kept nagging me too until i stopped and went back to gtnh. i'm getting a lot more enjoyment out of crafting my first mv machines when they actually represent a conscious choice and time investment. not to mention the decision making that goes into how to power and organize your shiny new mv machines.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Hooplah posted:

they redid the questbook to make things way more user friendly since you last played. the retrieval tasks just mean it checks that you have the total in your inventory. they don't have to be at the same time or in the same order, so if you skip a step you can go back and check it off later. there's a few crafting tasks at the very start but once you get machines and autocrafters there's too many ways to make a thing to check for the craft.

i played a few hours of omnifactory back before i started my second gtnh world, but i felt like i was blowing through tiers of machines before i even really had a chance to use them, and my brain kept nagging me too until i stopped and went back to gtnh. i'm getting a lot more enjoyment out of crafting my first mv machines when they actually represent a conscious choice and time investment. not to mention the decision making that goes into how to power and organize your shiny new mv machines.

What's the best prospecting tool or scanner or whatever if I was to cheat one in from the start? I'm going to suck it up and do some prospecting at the start so finding ores isn't so terrible, maybe even switch to creative to do it. I don't mind going out and mining, but it seemed like I was searching for days last time I tried. That and some of the mobs are really stupid difficult to kill, so I'll turn those off in the config if I can.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

e: lol at the "gating" of twilight forest

it's not significant, it's just a little slap in the balls for no real reason

UH.
Did you edit the gregtech config? Rain on electric machines is a really bad thing if you didn't. They can explode. Don't even let rain land adjacent to them.

Also I assume the TF gating is so you can't go there the instant you get a diamond. It requires an assembler, so it's gated behind LV.

Hooplah posted:

here's a flowchart for automating your first electronic circuits (do not automate like this, there are exponentially more efficient recipes later on)

I don't think machine assembly like that (at least at that point in progression) is meant to be easier-- it's to save resources. In this case, you save copper and steel.

Yeah I'm not sure what's going on with that quest. Thankfully it's optional, but I guess you could just get a good enough tcon hammer and spend half an hour ripping apart meteors.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 20, 2020

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm looking to get back into Minecraft with my cousin. I've played modpacks before with friends, but it was very overwhelming and not fun at all. We played one where you could make machines and rockets and it was a huge slog trying to wrap your head around all the different mechanics, and needing to take 30 different steps to make one item was eh. I ended up quitting and left my friends to it as I wasn't enjoying it. Do you lot have mods you'd recommend for people not wanting to deal with an absolute bombardment of new mechanics to wrap your head around? A reshader or whatever they're called too to make the game look pretty.

I was considering Feed The Beast but I'll be honest and say I've got no idea what it adds or what it does, just that it looks pretty.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Why is it some of the best mods have the worst names? Finally tinkered with the Woot mod today for its entity-less mob farming and gotta say it's actually quite fantastic with its chunky multiblocks. Definitely not the most efficient, material wise, but at least it doesn't murder the computer

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I am rock certain the only reason you don't see Woot much is because it's just called... Woot

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Happy Hedonist posted:

What's the best prospecting tool or scanner or whatever if I was to cheat one in from the start? I'm going to suck it up and do some prospecting at the start so finding ores isn't so terrible, maybe even switch to creative to do it. I don't mind going out and mining, but it seemed like I was searching for days last time I tried. That and some of the mobs are really stupid difficult to kill, so I'll turn those off in the config if I can.

I liked this one.

Right clicking in the open air gives you this:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

McFrugal posted:

UH.
Did you edit the gregtech config? Rain on electric machines is a really bad thing if you didn't. They can explode. Don't even let rain land adjacent to them.

no it's cool, they like it in the fresh air. if you've just built your first MV or HV machines, place them in the open, it's cool!

(i have edited the configs, yes. i also suggest removing the pitch-dark-night mod and, as above, cheating in a neutronium ore scanner)

e:

re: the gating twilight forest behind having access to most the intermediate LV parts, i guess that makes sense. but you've got no reason to want to go there, really, unless the game really doesn't want you to have a lot of silver for solar boilers early on

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I liked this one.

Right clicking in the open air gives you this:

Huh, what's the blue bar north of that apatite vein? It shouldn't be a separate vein since it's not following the grid...

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Huh, what's the blue bar north of that apatite vein? It shouldn't be a separate vein since it's not following the grid...

Looks like a lapis vein. Weird that it's not following the pattern.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Here’s another stupid gtnh question before I start. Is it possible to use a regular biomes o plenty map or is the pack designed around this realistic generator thing? I am not a fan. The biomes are enormous and exploration ain’t my bag. I almost wish there was a skyblock variant.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Happy Hedonist posted:

Here’s another stupid gtnh question before I start. Is it possible to use a regular biomes o plenty map or is the pack designed around this realistic generator thing? I am not a fan. The biomes are enormous and exploration ain’t my bag. I almost wish there was a skyblock variant.

I'm on what I think is a regular-rear end Biomes O Plenty map and it's been fine. The only thing biomes matter for are a few resources (like oilsands), humidity, and Pam's gardens. BoP plays properly with all of these that I've seen.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I'm on what I think is a regular-rear end Biomes O Plenty map and it's been fine. The only thing biomes matter for are a few resources (like oilsands), humidity, and Pam's gardens. BoP plays properly with all of these that I've seen.

Hell yea, I’ll give it a shot then. That was another big turn off last time I tried this.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Happy Hedonist posted:

The biomes aren't that big when I play it, maybe you got a weird seed.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

The biomes aren't that big when I play it, maybe you got a weird seed.

Possibly. Like, for reference, here's my map.

If you want to play on this map, the seed is -1 . You spawn in that cherry tree grove to the southeast of my current location.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Pretty sure they are larger. I traveled in creative for about 10 mins and saw a canyon, a hot plain, a canyon, and a scrubland. Lol. Obviously that’s a lovely seed to start with but I ain’t in to the whole realistic biome thing. It looks real pretty though!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Qubee posted:

I'm looking to get back into Minecraft with my cousin. I've played modpacks before with friends, but it was very overwhelming and not fun at all. We played one where you could make machines and rockets and it was a huge slog trying to wrap your head around all the different mechanics, and needing to take 30 different steps to make one item was eh. I ended up quitting and left my friends to it as I wasn't enjoying it. Do you lot have mods you'd recommend for people not wanting to deal with an absolute bombardment of new mechanics to wrap your head around? A reshader or whatever they're called too to make the game look pretty.

I was considering Feed The Beast but I'll be honest and say I've got no idea what it adds or what it does, just that it looks pretty.

Feed The Beast is a modpack dev team that have made many FTB packs.

But, uh, I'm not sure. There's some pretty lightly-modded options in the Private Game Servers forum.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Black Pants posted:

Feed The Beast is a modpack dev team that have made many FTB packs.

But, uh, I'm not sure. There's some pretty lightly-modded options in the Private Game Servers forum.

Where do I go to see available mods and their descriptions / what they add? Is there a website everyone recommends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Qubee posted:

Where do I go to see available mods and their descriptions / what they add? Is there a website everyone recommends.

There was the twitch launcher that did that, but twitch launcher for minecraft mods are now dead they turned those features off and sold it to overwolf or something.