Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I wonder if he (or anyone similar) did the same as Maynard James Keenan and ditched LA to go live a semi doomsday prepper-ish life out somewhere quiet? A recent video I saw of his studio made it look fairly small without much space to even move around, but that could just be because of the sheer amount of equipment he has in racks lining every wall. He doesn't seem the LA type so I'm curious if perhaps he left for somewhere quieter? I think I read something a while back about some neighbor he had to call the cops on (I may be thinking of someone else, though) so maybe he got fed up? With all the wildfires I could see more rich people ditching their LA mansions for somewhere safer.

Maynard had a nice (albeit garish) home in LA that he sold to go live in the middle of nowhere in Arizona. Just a very small town with less than a hundred people, I think? Up on some hill near his vineyards. One of the Metallica guys left for Colorado. Curious if Trent's decided to move somewhere else as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SUNKOS posted:

I wonder if he (or anyone similar) did the same as Maynard James Keenan and ditched LA to go live a semi doomsday prepper-ish life out somewhere quiet? A recent video I saw of his studio made it look fairly small without much space to even move around, but that could just be because of the sheer amount of equipment he has in racks lining every wall. He doesn't seem the LA type so I'm curious if perhaps he left for somewhere quieter? I think I read something a while back about some neighbor he had to call the cops on (I may be thinking of someone else, though) so maybe he got fed up? With all the wildfires I could see more rich people ditching their LA mansions for somewhere safer.

Maynard had a nice (albeit garish) home in LA that he sold to go live in the middle of nowhere in Arizona. Just a very small town with less than a hundred people, I think? Up on some hill near his vineyards. One of the Metallica guys left for Colorado. Curious if Trent's decided to move somewhere else as well.

I mean kanye west moved to Montana, bought a bunch of land, and is now developing weird dome housing and whatever the gently caress else he does lol

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I'm not surprised but I do remember him paying firefighters to protect his house first when the wildfires were getting close to his neighborhood and wondering why there wasn't more of an outrage about it. I think over the next five years or so there's gonna be a lot of celebrities fleeing LA. Gonna be interesting to see how it works out for people like Kanye who rely on collaborators a lot. Hopefully none of them want to fly to Montana and he fades into irrelevancy once and for all.

Genuinely interested to see how the migration away from the west coast goes over time however. I know Texas is already complaining about Californians flocking in.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I mean kanye west moved to Montana, bought a bunch of land, and is now developing weird dome housing and whatever the gently caress else he does lol

Wyoming actually

At this point, The two of them are basically full time film composers with NIN as a side project. Maybe that'll change when Covid ends but I wouldn't blame them if this is what they want in the future.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Vince MechMahon posted:

Isn't "the studio" in his house? I swear I remember hearing a while back that was the case but I might be making that up.

NIN adjacent: I've been following the development of Gary Numan's new album Intruder, and his studio is a converted guest house on his property, so it's technically both home and out of the house. A lot of solo-ish musicians do that, especially if they have kids and don't want the noise traveling through the house at all hours. I'm pretty sure that's Devin Townsend's setup too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Separate structure on your property seems like the optimum between convenience and isolation unless you are the type who wants to roll out of bed and immediately start working. I guess then you just put a bed in the studio.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Midjack posted:

Separate structure on your property seems like the optimum between convenience and isolation unless you are the type who wants to roll out of bed and immediately start working. I guess then you just put a bed in the studio.

Sounds like a nightmare to me especially after 2 years of working from home. Definitely need an environment that isn't your home imo.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Midjack posted:

I wonder how many times Mariqueen has seen the red robe picture for real with Trent getting out of bed in the middle of the night to try some idea he just had?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just finished watching Soul, it's going to be really hard to beat that score for an Oscar

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Photex posted:

Just finished watching Soul, it's going to be really hard to beat that score for an Oscar

It was so good. I was blown away. Trent and Atticus are ridiculously treasures in the industry right now. I loved being able to sit with my kids and watch a Disney flick that the music was scored by my favorite Industrial artist

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
I wasn't worried about the Soul soundtrack being good or not, I was just curious what it would sound like, and holy gently caress, it still truly sounded like Trent and Atticus. It was rad, and the movie was great too.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Langolas posted:

It was so good. I was blown away. Trent and Atticus are ridiculously treasures in the industry right now. I loved being able to sit with my kids and watch a Disney flick that the music was scored by my favorite Industrial artist

Listen to Nine Inch Nails with your kids, you coward

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fan-shot secret Webster Hall show footage from 2017 is now online:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0T2PRs9wsk

quote:

00:00:00 Somewhat Damaged
00:03:42 1,000,000
00:07:45 March of the Pigs
00:12:03 Piggy
00:16:52 The Frail
00:18:47 The Wretched
00:24:37 Sanctified
00:29:50 Closer
00:34:24 Less Than
00:38:00 Survivalism
00:42:45 Burn
00:47:35 Gave Up
00:52:15 She's Gone Away
00:57:09 The Lovers
01:01:17 Reptile
01:07:59 The Loop Closes
01:09:51 The Great Destroyer
01:12:45 Burning Bright (Field on Fire)
01:19:32 Wish
01:23:10 Head Like a Hole

This really makes me miss going to shows :(

Also!

https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/1346551342332985344

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 5, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

Fan-shot secret Webster Hall show footage from 2017 is now online:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0T2PRs9wsk

This really makes me miss going to shows :(

Also!

https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/1346551342332985344

I wouldn't even know where to start with picking what to hope for... loving anything from Outside is a natural fit, of course.
My personal favorite "5:15 Angels Have Gone" would be an incredible for that group
Breaking Glass or Aladdin Sane

How do you pick

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Crystal Japan :v:

Edit: I should post this heavily degraded copy of the commercials it was for again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMGcv3mSdDE

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1346862992051367939

gently caress, I can't believe it's been 5 years.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlBDGXjfvD4

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Fashion was excellent

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Really cool to hear Trent using his higher register during Fantastic Voyage :swoon:

And it's always nice to see Mariqueen! I feel like it's been a long time since I've seen her perform.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm glad they didn't go with the obvious temptation to just do I Can't Give Everything Away/I'm Afraid Of Americans or whatever.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I loved that

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sorry Trent, I’m going to listen to you. :colbert:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Trent giving some major Strobe Light vibes in Fashion

beep beep

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I want to buy/download those covers somehow some way. :allears:

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I, Butthole posted:

Trent giving some major Strobe Light vibes in Fashion

beep beep

I don't think that horse it dead yet, give it few more.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

That cover of Fashion was great but drat Trent's hair grows fast :stare:

Would love a small EP of NIN covering a bunch of Scary Monsters tracks. I really like the album, especially the guitar work - which Trent seems to have emulated perfectly, and hearing a more modern production of those songs would be great, especially It's No Game (Part 1) & Because You're Young. If he could somehow track down Aaron North again to join in it would be perfect.

:discourse:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Speaking of Trent influences, Gary Numan's new track just dropped. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RxebQuFgJY

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

drat, not many singers find a new vocal register after they hit 50

Good on Trent for continuing to try things/improve. Goddamn.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Danny Elfman track featuring Robin Finck and Josh Freese
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sSLLRGC6tM

sticklefifer posted:

Speaking of Trent influences, Gary Numan's new track just dropped. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RxebQuFgJY
Hell yeah

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

That performance of Fashion keeps disappearing off YouTube, is there some official channel where the video's available that it won't be deleted from or was it intended as one of those "You had to be there and if you missed it then too bad" type of things? Seems weird to keep pulling the video when the whole thing was meant as a tribute to Bowie, I'd have thought they'd want as many people as possible to see it? Referring to whoever arranged the whole thing, not NIN since I'm sure Trent & Atticus wouldn't care about it being up on YouTube.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SUNKOS posted:

That performance of Fashion keeps disappearing off YouTube, is there some official channel where the video's available that it won't be deleted from or was it intended as one of those "You had to be there and if you missed it then too bad" type of things? Seems weird to keep pulling the video when the whole thing was meant as a tribute to Bowie, I'd have thought they'd want as many people as possible to see it? Referring to whoever arranged the whole thing, not NIN since I'm sure Trent & Atticus wouldn't care about it being up on YouTube.
The Bowie tribute was a paid live show type thing. Maybe eventually it'll be able to stay up on YouTube, but the live show just happened so that's probably why it got a copyright strike from the people who put on the show.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Ah, my mistake. That makes sense. For some reason I thought it was a free livestream that I just happened to miss.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i was hoping that gary numan video would be a peter gabriel cover

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 17, 2021

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Willeh posted:

My first NIN gig. I remember being absolutely blown away by The Great Destroyer, which honestly still is my highlight of that album.

Also a shoutout to the guy next to me when I saw them on the last tour who just stood there silently listening, except he just really wanted to shout 'SHEEE HAS THE BLOOD OF REPTIIIILE' I guess. You do you man :cool:

Late to the party, but this was my first NIN show as well! I wish I knew more songs at the time, because I unfortunately don't remember much other than being surprised that Closer, Head Like a Hole, and Hurt weren't played. Seen them an additional seven times since, what a privilege and a blessing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/linzzerr/status/1352611384111083527

lmao

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Here's the official video of the Fashion cover in case anyone missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klM9RlJfsVg

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm assuming everyone knows about it, but Song Exploder on Netflix has an episode on Hurt. It's pretty good.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Only a little related at this point but Manson was accused of abuse by several ex-girlfriends (and a former employee also chimed in) and dropped from his label.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I was gonna say "Again?!" but it seems that this time it's actually had consequences and him being dropped from his label is a good start. I was reading more into it and someone on Twitter dug deep and had saved videos that Manson publicly uploaded to his website as the intro that everyone saw back in the day and it was videos of him literally abusing Evan. I guess at the time everyone assumed it was fake & actors but Evan's tattoos make it clear that it's her if you pause at the right moment, as do the tattoos on Manson and the point where he turns the camera to aim at his own face briefly make it clear that he's doing what he's been accused of. It's horrific and he's just hitting her until she's a bloodied mess. I hope that video along with the other make it into court because that should be automatic jail time for him. The sad thing is what happens in the video is exactly what Evan described him having done to her and someone went back and found he made them publicly viewable for some time.

Apparently there's another video from some party floating around that he recorded that's always been secret because his manager (or someone similar) pleaded with him not to release it since he could face jail time, but I imagine that will be involved at some point because the others who saw it (only two other people) and persuaded him to never show anyone said they were disgusted by it. Then there's the stuff he's admitted to in interviews etc.

Feel sorry for the woman he got married to last year, I think? He's the kind of unhinged cruelty whereby I'd hope cops have gone to wherever he lives to check on her instantly as these accusations come out. As it stands I'm shocked it's just Evan and four others right now, but I imagine more might feel safe coming forward soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Only a little related at this point but Manson was accused of abuse by several ex-girlfriends (and a former employee also chimed in) and dropped from his label.

Good.

On a lighter note, watched the Twin Peaks episode featuring The Nine Inch Nails last night.