Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ABridgen/status/1340955140459802626

These people are so utterly disgusted with having to face the consequences of their own actions. Just whiny bitches. Sorry the other countries took you at your word when you said there is a new super version of Covid when you were just trying to make up an excuse for why you utterly hosed the Covid response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hodges has said he actually bought a replica pistol to scare raiders off with.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Even an armed populace doesn't rise up against its oppressors.

To wit, the single most-armed populace in the world has the highest COVID death toll and a fascist president who spent four years golfing and somehow didn't get assassinated.

No matter how many small arms the poopulation has, when the government has tanks and planes and you have a pistol, you still lose.
The US seems to have more of an armed petit bourgeoisie and a police force that kills the working class for having a wallet shaped like a pastry shaped like a gun. They're only 'most armed' because they have a uniquely high number of semi-rich fucks who own basements full of boutique AR-15s for reasons they can't even put into words.

also lol
https://twitter.com/HealthUntoDeath/status/1340593362898997250

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Necrothatcher posted:

Well now I know who I'm raiding first

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just got given the Barack Obama book as my work Secret Santa.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guavanaut posted:

The US seems to have more of an armed petit bourgeoisie and a police force that kills the working class for having a wallet shaped like a pastry shaped like a gun. They're only 'most armed' because they have a uniquely high number of semi-rich fucks who own basements full of boutique AR-15s for reasons they can't even put into words.

also lol
https://twitter.com/HealthUntoDeath/status/1340593362898997250

Even discounting the insane hoarders, I'm pretty sure more of the US is armed than anywhere else in the west except Switzerland?

Either way, it doesn't discount the core point that unless you get at least some element of the military on side with a potential armed uprising, your armed uprising will lose.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

owned lmao

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Necrothatcher posted:

The key part of buying a replica pistol to scare raiders off with is making sure that they don't know that it's a replica, by e.g. not announcing that up front, so loving :lol::lol:

thespaceinvader posted:

Even discounting the insane hoarders, I'm pretty sure more of the US is armed than anywhere else in the west except Switzerland?

Either way, it doesn't discount the core point that unless you get at least some element of the military on side with a potential armed uprising, your armed uprising will lose.
I think Tories are terrified of it at a level beyond 'armed uprising', in a way that might make a casual observer think they cared about human life were it not for the critical evidence of the past decade.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guavanaut posted:

The key part of buying a replica pistol to scare raiders off with is making sure that they don't know that it's a replica, by e.g. not announcing that up front, so loving :lol::lol:

So when the food runs out we all know to descend on the unprotected Chez Hodges.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

I got Ready Player Two

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Just found out that the estate agent selling one of the other flats in our building is doing viewings - are they allowed to do this? Multiple groups of people (including with kids), plus the actual agent, coming through the communal areas into a not very big flat. They are wearing masks, but don't seem to be cleaning or anything between groups. Called the agent out on it and he just told me the government allows it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Necrothatcher posted:

extra toilet roll was a thoughtful gift in these times imo

:radcat:

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

Convex posted:

I got Ready Player Two

And I just learnt ready player two is a thing 😊

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

spiderbot posted:

Just found out that the estate agent selling one of the other flats in our building is doing viewings - are they allowed to do this? Multiple groups of people (including with kids), plus the actual agent, coming through the communal areas into a not very big flat. They are wearing masks, but don't seem to be cleaning or anything between groups. Called the agent out on it and he just told me the government allows it.

I’m not sure but I’d be inclined to say it is allowed. However, if you’re the type of person who feels comfortable, you’d probably get away with just saying ‘well I don’t’ and standing in their way.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

spiderbot posted:

quote:

The housing market in England will remain open in all 3 tiers. This means that people looking to move home will be able to both continue with planned moves and view new properties to move into in future. Estate and lettings agents, removers, valuers and people in sales and lettings offices and show homes will be able to continue working.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/government-advice-on-home-moving-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak

Granted that was last updated at the end of Nov, but unless you're in Tier 4 it looks like it's allowed.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

LMBO:

France’s ban on UK transport came as surprise, says Grant Shapps

I mean yes, clearly, but it's funny they went out and said it publicly.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1340978298835316741

Cheers, Keith

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

blunt posted:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/government-advice-on-home-moving-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak

Granted that was last updated at the end of Nov, but unless you're in Tier 4 it looks like it's allowed.

Yeah this is in north london, which is one of the worst increasing areas I think...

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
feel like it's a bit too late to do any significant stockpiling now. the fuckery has already begun, if not completely. surely anyone buying in bulk is just contributing to food shortages at this point

stev posted:

So when the food runs out we all know to descend on the unprotected Chez Hodges.

what if he starts yelling out his takes on political issues from the roof. our brains would not be able to take it. there would be no survivors in earshot

e: UKMT: “This is now a real emergency” says Keir Starmer on Coronavirus

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

LMBO:

France’s ban on UK transport came as surprise, says Grant Shapps

I mean yes, clearly, but it's funny they went out and said it publicly.
Glad that the Kent Resilience Forum are finally on this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Just drove to Sainsbury's and at least I was able to fill the car with petrol for whatever comes because I couldn't find a parking space and gently caress trying that during a pandemic

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/ben_patio/status/1340969236911550464?s=19

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

blunt posted:

Even in Tier 4 there's no restrictions on the housing market.

From the Tier 4 guidance page:

"You can still move home. People outside your household or support bubble should not help with moving house unless absolutely necessary.

Estate and letting agents and removals firms can continue to work. If you are looking to move, you can go to property viewings."

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

this has made me unreasonably angry

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/ABridgen/status/1340955140459802626

These people are so utterly disgusted with having to face the consequences of their own actions. Just whiny bitches. Sorry the other countries took you at your word when you said there is a new super version of Covid when you were just trying to make up an excuse for why you utterly hosed the Covid response.

was this dude whining when we banned travel from denmark to the uk?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

spiderbot posted:

Yeah this is in north london, which is one of the worst increasing areas I think...

Tested Friday, result came back positive last night (so wouldn't have been getting that flight anyway even if we didn't cancel it)

I have been covided.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
love to see people getting angry for getting what they wanted

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lmao that post was not in fact about u getting covid, hotlegs kirby

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

bump_fn posted:

lmao that post was not in fact about u getting covid, hotlegs kirby

Joke's on you I wanted covid and I'm angry about it :colbert:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Boris was a fantastic journalist in the way that British Journalism expects itself to be conducted. Massively racist, willing to argue the sky is tartan for an article, just makes poo poo up and was always pissed before noon. He's the prime example of British Journalism and the fact that our entire media threw themselves behind him probably has something to do with them all wanting to see themselves become PM one day.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Borrovan posted:

idk how the hell you lot are talking about Brexit stockpiling right now of all times, it's only 2 days since Christmas was cancelled, I've only got the turkey, ham and cheeses so far & my fridge & freezer are already full

I've been saying all month how much happier I'd have been if they'd just cancelled Christmas from the get-go, but jfc I already had a bunch of poo poo to do this week

We actually thought we were pretty late to it. I half expected there to be mad crowds in the supermarket yesterday but there wasn't.

I'm wondering if most people are still in a state of denial for how Brexit might impact things.

I also took care of Christmas and new year dinner back at the beginning of the month, but we also just picked up a chest freezer for the garage.

We're trying for a family so figure it's a worthwhile investment anyway given our freezer is full with a month of food for just 2 people.

I also do my monthly shop on the last weekend of the month, but I forgot that this year the weekends were the actual Christmas and New year. Essentially, a while bunch of stuff has come together to just push us into getting our poo poo together now.

I'm starting to realise that even if it wasn't for Brexit, having a sort of pantry/supply type thing in your house seems to be a generally useful idea (if you're lucky enough to have space).

We've been eating everything until there's nothing left and then going to the shops to refill. It's kinda complacent because we got used to the shops just having whatever we liked to eat or use.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

bump_fn posted:

love to see people getting angry for getting what they wanted

What I wanted was everyone else to go into lockdown so I could enjoy the world in safety.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The first pictorial representation of the familiar memento mori theme that was popularized in 16th-century Venice, now made more concrete and vivid by the inscription, is Guercino's version, painted between 1618 and 1622 (in the Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Antica, Rome), in which the inscription gains force from the prominent presence of a skull in the foreground, beneath which the words are carved

Owlkill posted:

Even in Tier 4 there's no restrictions on the housing market.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

josh04 posted:

Nothing unreasonable about that anger imo

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

josh04 posted:

Me too. It’s all just a loving jolly for them.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Tested Friday, result came back positive last night (so wouldn't have been getting that flight anyway even if we didn't cancel it)

I have been covided.

JeremoudCovidnejad

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Sorry nip but I feel the kill all journalists party is just more important

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Really not looking forward to tomorrow’s Christmas food shop tbh

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Maybe journalists are the enemy of the people :trumppop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
This is the only music I feel that's appropriate for these times

My housemate voted for Brexit. I hope there are no food shortages and such, but I will be interested to see how he reacts to everything crumbling around us in real time. Time will tell.