Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

fool of sound posted:

There are a lot more that two, really. Every region had it's own variation, each of which mutated and influenced one another over centuries. It's one of the most fascinating and frustrating things about researching mythology; when a faith doesn't have a strong state-enforced orthodoxy, you get an incestuous melting pot of deities and legends.

I assume this is why nobody seems to care about Roman mythology except in the context of how it's an accessible example of a state led mythology

Dumb loving nerds, canon is for people who don't have any imagination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I assume this is why nobody seems to care about Roman mythology except in the context of how it's an accessible example of a state led mythology

Oh Rome produced plenty of interesting religious phenomena where it interacted with the myths of conquered peoples.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

For my 100th run I went and unlocked Excalibur. Athena on the attack, Demeter on the special, Hermes for attack speed and both hammers increased the size of the special. Absolute murder machine. The feel of those wide swaths of cuts reflecting every thing lobbed my way and slowed in my aura was amazing.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Got to roleplay as :flashfact: today. Zag Fists with the Plume, Zeus attack and special, and Hermes gave me an epic boon that added bonus movement speed to my attack, so every time I got faster, I also got stronger.

And then he gave me an epic 40% movement speed buff. :getin::sanix:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think the thing that confuses contemporary learners the most about mythology is that while there are some renowned, highly-referenced texts, there's nothing close to an actual "Bible." It's all instead a collection of hymns, poems, plays, and random notes that random writers might have bothered to write down that managed to survive. It's not that stories contradict each other exactly, it's more like each story has its own context.

Ovid was a very important source and actually the only source we have for a lot of stuff that seems to be taken as "canon" nowadays; you just have to be mindful of the context of his writings. It's absolutely possible that Ovid was dutifully recounting the existing mythology and lore that was around at his time, because he mentions a whole lot of other stuff that did definitely exist in earlier works at the height of ancient Greece. Alternatively...he also very well could have just made certain parts up wholesale and we literally have no way to know for sure. :sweatdrop:

A very good, very reliable online reference page for quick mythology look-up would be Theoi.com. It's very organized and use primary sources for everything so you don't end up with too many Christianized or modernized biases. (Although it's still good to be skeptical about some of its inferences, especially if they aren't directly sourced. There are still a couple of things it mentions where I'm like...are we sure about this? Like are we actually sure?)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

For whatever reason Ovid was on the English lit intro course at my uni so that is literally my only exposure to this stuff before this game apart from Kevin sorbos hercules and Xena

E: forgot the queen

Seems like you had a head start to me, there are lots of characters in this game I can picture letting out a nice guttural DIS A POINT EEEDDD

https://youtu.be/_O1hM-k3aUY

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I like secret fist aspect btw. To any goons struggling with it I think it's worth noting you can use dash strike to activate dash-upper which is your bread and butter. I didn't even notice the attack speed until i remembered someone saying they didn't like it and going back to see why. Its a weird rhythm compared to the other aspects and I don't know that it's strictly better than the other ones but it is super loving fast at clearing rooms if you build it right, I don't think I dropped a single plume hit on my run

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lmao I just found secret Skelly Companion tech I'd never even considered till now. The Skelly summon has a health bar and you can damage and get your casts stuck in him, which SEEMS like a nuisance until you consider that this means Skelly triggers on-hit and DOT Boons. It seems like he shares all the same properties as normal enemies which is rad. I just beat the stupid giant exploding vase in Styx by summoning Skelly and hitting him with my Zeus Boons, which ping ponged proccing back and forth between Skelly and the boss till it died. You can probably also use him as a marking magnet for an Artemis crit build, or plop him down in the middle of a room with the Boon that spreads Hangover to nearby enemies.

edit: Attacking him builds your Call meter if you've got Boons that make it go up faster. Didn't get a chance to check but I assume you also can regain health from him using certain Boons or Aspects which restore HP on attack. Theoretically Skelly could save your life because he's got a billion HP you can sap!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 21, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm at 32/33 clears now and I didn't get the epilogue. I thought it was the magic 3-0 that did it, or do I need to do something else to trigger it?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

TraderStav posted:

I'm at 32/33 clears now and I didn't get the epilogue. I thought it was the magic 3-0 that did it, or do I need to do something else to trigger it?

Max out as many affection meters as possible, especially with the Olympian gods.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Spergatory posted:

Max out as many affection meters as possible, especially with the Olympian gods.

I pretty much have, only a few have accepted ambrosia. Maybe I need to Google what will unlock them.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TraderStav posted:

I pretty much have, only a few have accepted ambrosia. Maybe I need to Google what will unlock them.

Almost all of them are 'keep playing'. It took me until somewhere in the 50s to get the epilogue.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The one's that arent keep playing seem to be "keep playing until we give you the prophecy then go do that and talk to the god again"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

How long until we start spitballing DLC ideas? It’a such a rich game but I want more everything!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

well why not posted:

How long until we start spitballing DLC ideas? It’a such a rich game but I want more everything!

I want to romance Lernie

e: looking back at my other posts on this topic I am worried I am whatever the skeleton version of a furry is

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

When will people learn that Hades is not about romancing snakes, it's about being gay with your step brother.

GlyphGryph posted:

The one's that arent keep playing seem to be "keep playing until we give you the prophecy then go do that and talk to the god again"

Except for loving Poseidon. I was mad when I finally looked it up and found out that equipping his keepsake for chamber 1 was what was hindering my getting his favor.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I like secret fist aspect btw. To any goons struggling with it I think it's worth noting you can use dash strike to activate dash-upper which is your bread and butter. I didn't even notice the attack speed until i remembered someone saying they didn't like it and going back to see why.

Speaking of which, I tried it again after reading people speakingly fondly of it here and have unlocked my inner manimal. My opinion of the secret fist has taken an instant 180º once I started ignoring maim outside of bosses and just mashing dodge and attack together which completely negates all downsides (outside of taking a lot of damage because I run out of dashes using them offensively).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BioThermo posted:

When will people learn that Hades is not about romancing snakes, it's about being gay with your step brother.

I was concerned gifting him Ambrosia for this very reason, I had already maxed out Meg just by happenstance and Thanatos feels more like the Vergil to Zag's Dante to me. Well when I finally maxed him out the game pulled a sneaky on me and had Megaera set Zag up with Than for fun and I was just like

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I want to romance Lernie

e: looking back at my other posts on this topic I am worried I am whatever the skeleton version of a furry is

.... yeah.

I bet they’ll manage to make Theseus likeable or something equally difficult.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

well why not posted:

I already did.

Other ideas: Play as Than and/or Meg with their own unique move sets based off of the ones in their fights

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Forward facing Thanatos is scary looking how do I go back to making him hate me

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

BioThermo posted:

When will people learn that Hades is not about romancing snakes

Yeah, this is Greek mythology, not Egyptian mythology!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

I already did.

Other ideas: Play as Than and/or Meg with their own unique move sets based off of the ones in their fights

That’s the tricky bit. We already have like a dozen move sets. How can you make another character feel new?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

CJacobs posted:

Forward facing Thanatos is scary looking how do I go back to making him hate me

he ages like 30 years when he looks at you dead-on. bring back the twink, where did this weird middle aged man come from?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

CJacobs posted:

Lmao I just found secret Skelly Companion tech I'd never even considered till now. The Skelly summon has a health bar and you can damage and get your casts stuck in him, which SEEMS like a nuisance until you consider that this means Skelly triggers on-hit and DOT Boons. It seems like he shares all the same properties as normal enemies which is rad. I just beat the stupid giant exploding vase in Styx by summoning Skelly and hitting him with my Zeus Boons, which ping ponged proccing back and forth between Skelly and the boss till it died. You can probably also use him as a marking magnet for an Artemis crit build, or plop him down in the middle of a room with the Boon that spreads Hangover to nearby enemies.

edit: Attacking him builds your Call meter if you've got Boons that make it go up faster. Didn't get a chance to check but I assume you also can regain health from him using certain Boons or Aspects which restore HP on attack. Theoretically Skelly could save your life because he's got a billion HP you can sap!

Counterpoint, skelly sucks because he has low health and gets killed too fast. I find meg more effective as I rarely deal 2500 damage in the time skelly is alive.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Sometimes all you need to escape is the dash button. Just put that ol Excalibur in your back pocket and run around a lot.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

well why not posted:

That’s the tricky bit. We already have like a dozen move sets. How can you make another character feel new?

Than seems like a character that'd move slowly but has long range dashes with long cool down. Slow but with high single hit damage ability. Meg would be the opposite, really quick and light but reliant on comboing to rack up damage. Maybe they don't get access to Boons but they get access to a smaller set of upgrade lists.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

well why not posted:

Fortnite character model tie in

gently caress it

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I can't believe this game gives you the option to take back all of the gifts you gave Dusa after she rejects your romantic advances. She's the one who offers to give it all back, but I hope the game punishes players who do or at least mercilessly mocks them for being such an rear end in a top hat by accepting.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beartaco posted:

I can't believe this game gives you the option to take back all of the gifts you gave Dusa after she rejects your romantic advances. She's the one who offers to give it all back, but I hope the game punishes players who do or at least mercilessly mocks them for being such an rear end in a top hat by accepting.
She said she didn't mind though!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I took those back and I'm not sorry. :colbert: I needs them to trade them for Titan blood!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I didn’t cause it didn’t feel right but I wouldn’t begrudge anyone who did, cause I’m pretty sure Zagreus dumps more Ambrosia into her than half the cast combined. As he should.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I took it back because *gestures at hidden sword aspect* It Ain’t Gonna Upgrade Itself

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Was there any material impact to not accepting them?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I took them back and put them all into Fidi so I can see her more often

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BrianWilly posted:

I think the thing that confuses contemporary learners the most about mythology is that while there are some renowned, highly-referenced texts, there's nothing close to an actual "Bible." It's all instead a collection of hymns, poems, plays, and random notes that random writers might have bothered to write down that managed to survive. It's not that stories contradict each other exactly, it's more like each story has its own context.

Ovid was a very important source and actually the only source we have for a lot of stuff that seems to be taken as "canon" nowadays; you just have to be mindful of the context of his writings. It's absolutely possible that Ovid was dutifully recounting the existing mythology and lore that was around at his time, because he mentions a whole lot of other stuff that did definitely exist in earlier works at the height of ancient Greece. Alternatively...he also very well could have just made certain parts up wholesale and we literally have no way to know for sure. :sweatdrop:

A very good, very reliable online reference page for quick mythology look-up would be Theoi.com. It's very organized and use primary sources for everything so you don't end up with too many Christianized or modernized biases. (Although it's still good to be skeptical about some of its inferences, especially if they aren't directly sourced. There are still a couple of things it mentions where I'm like...are we sure about this? Like are we actually sure?)
I know people sideeye comparing superhero comics to mythology; but I always like comparing Greek Mythology in the context of what if we had only certain runs of comics that survived through time. There are so many epics lost to time.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Re: Ambrosia reuptake

It doesn’t really change anything if you take them back. The game actually does a good job of letting you know that certain decisions that look big on the surface won’t have a negative impact. I think in this case it literally says that she won’t mind.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Re: Ambrosia reuptake

It doesn’t really change anything if you take them back. The game actually does a good job of letting you know that certain decisions that look big on the surface won’t have a negative impact. I think in this case it literally says that she won’t mind.

Yeah, she tells you she doesn't mind, Zag asks twice that she doesn't mind, and the game text tells you that she literally won't mind.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Tetrabor posted:

Yeah, she tells you she doesn't mind, Zag asks twice that she doesn't mind, and the game text tells you that she literally won't mind.

I still googled it, and found that she doesn't mind, but I let her keep it anyway because she's the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I want to romance Lernie

A skelly. :skeltal: