Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

If a birb attacked me and then stupidly remained close enough for my slow arm to grab I'd probably crush it's throat.
I have some issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am a big fan of the feral chicken population that lives on the Hawaiian islands.

Coming from the Midwest where we mostly deal with squirrels or pigeons in the city, feral chickens were awesome.

They were not at all aggressive either. They just poked around the periphery and picked up scraps. It’s also hilarious to see a chicken sprinting along a white sand beach in Honolulu for some reason. Probably because all the chickens I see in Wisconsin are fenced off

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

By popular demand posted:

Geese are terrific in a sandwich or with some sauerkraut.
Cocks are revolting.

You've never had mine, baby

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
No one thinks that geese are unstoppable murder machines.

What they are is extremely territorial and common in many urban environments.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

OwlFancier posted:

A bird shat on my head in keswick once and I have never forgiven them, I swear vendetta against all of birdkind to this day. All shall perish and be consumed.

Name checks out

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

OwlFancier posted:

It happened about five years ago so you be the loving judge.

You go and gently caress up those birds, then. Avenge me!

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

OwlFancier posted:

A bird shat on my head in keswick once and I have never forgiven them, I swear vendetta against all of birdkind to this day. All shall perish and be consumed.

Username does not check out.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Owls eat plenty of other birds so they can be left to the end.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Teleologically speaking, owls are not birds, they are cats.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Birds are generally pretty clear about what is pissing them off and the problem is usually dumb humans not paying attention to them when they are telling them to gently caress all the way off. I have lived with a parrot for 20+ years and life got a lot less bitey when we all learned to read her " I'ma bite you if you don't stop being a bitch" signs

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pookah posted:

Birds are generally pretty clear about what is pissing them off and the problem is usually dumb humans not paying attention to them when they are telling them to gently caress all the way off. I have lived with a parrot for 20+ years and life got a lot less bitey when we all learned to read her " I'ma bite you if you don't stop being a bitch" signs

Yeah the time I fought the goose was when I tried to no sell it's defensive dance with the head down etc.

I thought "appear to pose no threat" meant ignoring it and continued to walk on a path that did indeed veer away from it.

It got louder and hissier and I just thought if I didn't give it the reaction it wanted it would back down.

Nope.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I was assaulted by a crow who divebombed me when my head was turned, only some time later I figured out it was triggered by me staring at it with sunglasses on. Birds see "large eyes" as a challenge.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

By popular demand posted:

Geese are terrific in a sandwich or with some sauerkraut.
Cocks are revolting.

Minds are empty, heads are hollow
you might find out the truth is hard to swallow

can't believe I missed this reference. Gonna have to turn in my rivethead card.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm4TcPsDtRE

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh gently caress yeah I loved The Saboteur!

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

E:

-Zydeco- has a new favorite as of 05:29 on Dec 16, 2020

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Oh hell yes! :love:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I would like to know more, please.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Samovar posted:

I would like to know more, please.

https://timeline.com/milwaukee-long-hot-summer-252057567975

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Bored of feeding the ducks down at the park? Time to take it up a level!

https://i.imgur.com/B1OGpTL.mp4

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

:stonk:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hand feeding a wild snake......

:psypop:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hand feeding a wild snake......

:psypop:

The fact that he taped up his pants in advance suggests this isn't the first time something like this has happened to him.

Can anyone ID the snake species?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The way that snake goes crazy fast and hard at the fish really makes me cringe when I think of what would happen when it gets to the top of your pant legs

:stonk:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Dienes posted:

The fact that he taped up his pants in advance suggests this isn't the first time something like this has happened to him.

Can anyone ID the snake species?

Mississippi Green Water Snake, and he's right about them being non-venomous.

E: Whoops, it's the Florida varietal, not Mississippi-- darker and without yellow belly banding.

Pissed Ape Sexist has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Dec 21, 2020

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

elderly hank hill feeds a wild snake is badass and blessed

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hackers film 1995 posted:

elderly hank hill feeds a wild snake is badass and blessed

It is definitely both of those things and it is also terrifying

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
https://i.imgur.com/gkqr8ah.mp4

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Well, that's clever.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
It is clever, but it\s probably not the first time he's had to do that!

Also, that poor first driver will be picking sand out of his teeth for a year!

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Teach posted:

It is clever, but it\s probably not the first time he's had to do that!

Also, that poor first driver will be picking sand out of his teeth for a year!

And his eyes, too, probably.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

And his eyes, too, probably.

I went quad biking on dunes like that a few years ago, and my bath was full of sand for days.

poo poo, right - bad rear end pics?

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Teach posted:

poo poo, right - bad rear end pics?

The fact that's pre-digital era camera work is even more impressive.

Getting the correct exposure on an eclipse with the concorde still visible is amazing... unless it's an old school double exposure type deal, which, come to think of it, the underside of the plane wouldnt be lit up like that at ALL in the middle of a full eclipse so yeah, i'm thinking double exposure. But still cool.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

dpack_1 posted:

The fact that's pre-digital era camera work is even more impressive.

Getting the correct exposure on an eclipse with the concorde still visible is amazing... unless it's an old school double exposure type deal, which, come to think of it, the underside of the plane wouldnt be lit up like that at ALL in the middle of a full eclipse so yeah, i'm thinking double exposure. But still cool.

At the altitude the Concorde cruised the atmosphere scatters light back on to the aircraft, so it's not unreasonable to have that lighting. The picture was taken from Boeing's NC-135 and if they were going to edit the picture, I'd expect they'd edit out the reflection and distortion from the window it was taken through.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm going to assume that's from when the concorde chased the eclipse for like 15 min or something and the plane had been modified with science equipment to capture a bunch of data.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s come up in the space thread.

It’s a composite.

quote:

I commissioned and co-designed the painting by Don Connolly of Concorde 001 at the 1973 eclipse.

The photo shown is real -- and it is also a fake!

The original picture is indeed by Arthur Gibson and appears on the front cover of "Concorde: New Shape in the Sky" by Kenneth Owen, Jane's, 1982. The original has the small "sun glint", and it is the real Sun.

It must have been tricky to take a picture at that moment, but Gibson took hundreds of Concorde photos, so he got lucky!

The picture does not have the large "eclipsed Sun/Moon". That was added!

Also, as pointed out above, the plane is almost certainly not Concorde 001 but is the British prototype.

The plane image also appears to have been doctored to erase some distinct markings the British prototype has on its fuselage.

Another clue: the eclipsed Sun was overhead, so to get a picture of Concorde, with the Sun also in the picture you must have a "bottom view" of Concorde!

We allowed in our painting a very small tilt, to make Concorde look better. So our painting is not 100% accurate! :-)

In the Gibson fake photo, the huge tilt of Concorde means that the overhead eclipsed Sun cannot be behind Concorde.

Again, Concorde was flying level during the eclipse, with the Sun overhead, but the camera that took the picture is obviously not looking overhead, unless the picture was taken of a Concorde banking.

The doctored Gibson picture is fake!

Bob Morris

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Jan 1, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Safe to take a photo but not to save me some goddamn time in 2004 when i wanted to save some time very much

i wish they would retire all planes

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I'm happy that me posting that Concord picture has prompted all this discussion - thanks for posting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Stolen from the blessed picture thread

Look at her face and tell me she is not a badarse.