Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Man that guy is so loving dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Probably preferable to having to continue going to work after a fuckup like that :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

aphid_licker posted:

Probably preferable to having to continue going to work after a fuckup like that :v:

Yeah I figured they are likely on a FSB list somewhere after the first Bellingcat report...

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Navalny you card! You totally fell for my prank call-answer!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

I've had to sit quiet about this for a week, what they pulled off was incredible, Navalny not only maintaining his composure but also badgering him into confessing was quite a feat. We're planning to turn all the Russian spy stuff into a podcast and then work on making it a TV documentary.

Holy poo poo, dude.

Do you ever even like, take a minute and think 'what is my life now?'

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i nearly did a spit take of my morning coffee when i read how they got the info, but now i'm kind of depressed that such an openly incompetent organization has been visibly harming so many people, but that nothing is likely to stop them

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

I've had to sit quiet about this for a week, what they pulled off was incredible, Navalny not only maintaining his composure but also badgering him into confessing was quite a feat. We're planning to turn all the Russian spy stuff into a podcast and then work on making it a TV documentary.

:master:

Brown Moses posted:

Apparently if you pretend you're working for someone senior enough in Russia even an FSB officer will just spill their guts.

Here's the full audio with English transcript

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwvA49ZXnf8

Here's Navalny's video showing them filming it and trying not to freak out or laugh loud enough for the guy to hear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibqiet6Bg38

:stare: That is seriously impressive.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 21, 2020

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Pretty wild that vlad Putin probably knows who BM is and probably doesn't care for him very much at all.

Forums keep on truckin' !

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Holy craaaaaaap. What a world. This is about as smoking gun as it gets, but what comes next? Obviously a troll farm operation about "crisis actor" on the phone, but like internationally.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
https://mobile.twitter.com/Vorobievaya/status/1341069695227736065

Christo Grozev on the radio program with Evgeniya Albats:
- The first one Navalny called replied "no, you're not an assistant, I know very well who you are"
- So on the first try he got someone who recognized his voice?
- Yes

:eyepop:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Somaen posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Vorobievaya/status/1341069695227736065

Christo Grozev on the radio program with Evgeniya Albats:
- The first one Navalny called replied "no, you're not an assistant, I know very well who you are"
- So on the first try he got someone who recognized his voice?
- Yes

:eyepop:

Navalny has a pretty distinctive voice. Kudryavtsev didn't recognise him only because it was early in the morning, and you could tell he was a bit discombobulated. Should have used some voice-altering software like real prankers, imo.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Paladinus posted:

Navalny has a pretty distinctive voice. Kudryavtsev didn't recognise him only because it was early in the morning, and you could tell he was a bit discombobulated. Should have used some voice-altering software like real prankers, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5isz9nNJEU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
call and response code words, people. Come on.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 22, 2020

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Here's an interesting development because it usually works the other way round.

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1341300505364971522

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, I'm amazed by the whole situation and what it takes to prank call your killers who also before that almost killed your wife. I can't think of a better way to hurt a regime obsessed with information control and narrative forming than to make it a laughing stock with bulletproof OSINT info

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Somaen posted:

Yeah, I'm amazed by the whole situation and what it takes to prank call your killers who also before that almost killed your wife. I can't think of a better way to hurt a regime obsessed with information control and narrative forming than to make it a laughing stock with bulletproof OSINT info

No one in russian government is hurt, they can always cash out and bail to spain, maldives, whatever. They stopped caring about outside political image long ago.
Only thing that can hurt anyone there is death.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Erulisse posted:

No one in russian government is hurt, they can always cash out and bail to spain, maldives, whatever. They stopped caring about outside political image long ago.
Only thing that can hurt anyone there is death.

The internal image should be hurt, putin has spent the last decade building his legitimacy on an image of the big serious man who has no time for bloggers and has a strong army and secret service that makes everyone proud even if there is a lack in improvement in the material conditions for the average citizen. Now it's public that he is a scheming evil grandpa trying to take out his enemies, not just "traitors to the motherland" living in the west but people he publicly derided as nameless bloggers inside too, which legitimises everything Navalny does as a threat to his power

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/SvobodaRadio/status/1341349029943386112

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Nenonen posted:

e: also I'm not sure if Navalny is any better a man than Putin
Oh, they're both hard-right nationalists, but while Putin is more of a "the ~West~ is evil" dictator type, Navalny is a "migrants are bad, they infect us with Islam" kind.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Somaen posted:

The internal image should be hurt, putin has spent the last decade building his legitimacy on an image of the big serious man who has no time for bloggers and has a strong army and secret service that makes everyone proud even if there is a lack in improvement in the material conditions for the average citizen. Now it's public that he is a scheming evil grandpa trying to take out his enemies, not just "traitors to the motherland" living in the west but people he publicly derided as nameless bloggers inside too, which legitimises everything Navalny does as a threat to his power

It is not. Many believe putin or benefit from all the corruption (government and related workers, business people). Others believe that navalny is kremlin-paid jester, others are even disliking putin but thinking that he's the only one capable of governing russia atm.
For those who watch tv and are fed with state info "navalny is lying and has been lying". The amount of paid talking heads - bloggers, radio, "non-state" channels like RT (lmao) telling "the truth" about "navalny lying" is astonishing. The propaganda is working tirelessly and is being poo poo out 24/7. It's like parroting, minds are overwhelmed with information and all that is left is subconscious "the patient is lying and has mania". The part of it is the fact that putler not even once named navalny by name or surname. "Patient", "berlin patient", "character" or "citizen" are his go-to names for Aleksey and it shows.

The conscious minority knows about putin and is fighting, left the country or just enjoys the show knowing that nothing can be done at this moment. People are scared.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Oh, they're both hard-right nationalists, but while Putin is more of a "the ~West~ is evil" dictator type, Navalny is a "migrants are bad, they infect us with Islam" kind.

That's beside the point. Putin is a cold KGB colonel who is willing to murder his opponents. Until now I thought that maybe Navalny will not mercilessly condemn his enemies to death while humiliating them, alas! :ohdear:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm1222

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Meanwhile, Russian parliament has urgently passed a law that imposes a 5 year imprisonment for the most dangerous crime of all: making a rape accusation that does not result in a conviction.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Meanwhile, Russian parliament has urgently passed a law that imposes a 5 year imprisonment for the most dangerous crime of all: making a rape accusation that does not result in a conviction.

Also the law that makes children of police and national guard preferred in admission to universities. They are making everything for already gestapo style national guard to give their lives for the state.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Erulisse posted:

It is not. Many believe putin or benefit from all the corruption (government and related workers, business people). Others believe that navalny is kremlin-paid jester, others are even disliking putin but thinking that he's the only one capable of governing russia atm.
For those who watch tv and are fed with state info "navalny is lying and has been lying". The amount of paid talking heads - bloggers, radio, "non-state" channels like RT (lmao) telling "the truth" about "navalny lying" is astonishing. The propaganda is working tirelessly and is being poo poo out 24/7. It's like parroting, minds are overwhelmed with information and all that is left is subconscious "the patient is lying and has mania". The part of it is the fact that putler not even once named navalny by name or surname. "Patient", "berlin patient", "character" or "citizen" are his go-to names for Aleksey and it shows.

The conscious minority knows about putin and is fighting, left the country or just enjoys the show knowing that nothing can be done at this moment. People are scared.

All true, but there is a limit to what propaganda can do when the average person's life has gotten worse over the last 5-6 years. Luka controls even more of the country's media and people turned out to be low key sick and tired of him and are now protesting relentlessly. Let's see.

Anecdotally regarding the propaganda, even my stalin loving grandma, the "target audience" of the state channels started watching more russian language Euronews because the state channels have too much deranged shrieking and negativity

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Asked some Russian friends about these latest affairs with Navalny, "we talked about it ... It all seems pretty fishy still to me".

:negative:

Anyways, good job BM!

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

MiddleOne posted:

Asked some Russian friends about these latest affairs with Navalny, "we talked about it ... It all seems pretty fishy still to me".

:negative:

Anyways, good job BM!

Half of Russians believe that Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny was either not poisoned, as he and Western governments contend, or that his poisoning was stage-managed by Western intelligence services, a poll showed on Thursday. -- Reuters

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's always funny to hear from people who think the CIA is an invincible uberforce when in reality even at it's Cold War height the agency couldn't manage to make an exploding cigar.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's always funny to hear from people who think the CIA is an invincible uberforce when in reality even at it's Cold War height the agency couldn't manage to make an exploding cigar.

This blows my mind. The same people who say that CCCP was invincible and revere KGB somehow accept that CIA destroyed it despite KGB and GRU opposing them. If CIA was so powerful why is there any dissention, why isnt every government in the world a vassal to the USA?

In Belarusian news EU sanctioned Dana Holdings aannounced that they withdraw from Belarus. This is a very confusing message because technically EU only sanctioned Dana Astra, not Dubai waterfronts, nevertheless dubai stuff withdraws, Dana Astra Remains.

Maybe they really do have business in Dubai and want to distance themselves from Astra, so they have better deniability.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Sekenr posted:

If CIA was so powerful why is there any dissention, why isnt every government in the world a vassal to the USA?
So the entire Latin America, Japan, a bunch of African countries, and several European ones are not enough vassals?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The CIA is really, really powerful when it comes to using the brute force of the empire to hamfistedly hold nations under its thumb - but it really, really sucks at anything that involves subtlety or its supposed primary job of intelligence. Those aren't contradictory statements.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

The CIA is really, really powerful when it comes to using the brute force of the empire to hamfistedly hold nations under its thumb - but it really, really sucks at anything that involves subtlety or its supposed primary job of intelligence. Those aren't contradictory statements.
That's what they want you to think!

They actually subtly direct all international actors through mind controlling devices embedded into their fillings, which is why we think it's not working.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pyromancer posted:

So the entire Latin America, Japan, a bunch of African countries, and several European ones are not enough vassals?

careful, last time i said something along these lines in d&d i got called a racist lmao

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hey, balkangoons, you okay?

(We had second major earthquake in the middle of the loving pandemic. Seven dead so far, Petrinja, croatian city of some 20,000 people almost completely destroyed. gently caress this year sooooo hard)

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I'm not in Croatia so I'm fine. Friends in Zagreb are shaken but OK. I don't know anyone in Glina or Petrinja.

Those are very poor parts of Croatia. Damaged a lot in war and suffering from unemployment and depopulation since. It's probably the worst place the earthquake could pick.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

quote:

Russia's death toll from Covid-19 could be three times higher than previously thought, according to one of the country's leading politicians.

New data released by Russian statistics agency Rosstat Monday showed that the number of deaths from all causes between January and November had risen by 229,700 compared to the same period last year.

After the figures were released, Deputy Prime Minister Tatiana Golikova was quoted by Russia’s Interfax agency as saying that more than 81 percent of this increase in mortality over this period is due to Covid-19 and consequences of the disease.

That means that the virus-associated death toll is at least 186,000, or about three times more than previously reported. It would also give Russia the third-highest Covid-19 death toll in the world.

The country’s official death toll, reported on a cumulative daily basis by the government’s coronavirus crisis center, stands at 55,827 as of Tuesday.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Russia numbers have obviously been bullshit, probably more been political decision than just lack of resources like India.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Rincewinds posted:

Russia numbers have obviously been bullshit, probably more been political decision than just lack of resources like India.

It's always political. Lack of fucks to give about population but all the fucks to give about earnings and lol 'power'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

Gervasius posted:

Hey, balkangoons, you okay?

(We had second major earthquake in the middle of the loving pandemic. Seven dead so far, Petrinja, croatian city of some 20,000 people almost completely destroyed. gently caress this year sooooo hard)

Late posting, but I'm good. Tbh it kinda felt funny when it happened (around 2pm-ish?)?. Nothing is damaged at home luckily.

The nuclear powerplant got closed for a day or so and it should be in good state.

Anyway, hopefully 2021 will have less of this. People have suffered enough :/