Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night posted:

So I guess somehow the Simpsons is the least harmful thing at least one of the cast is involved in.
Nancy Cartwright recruits for Scientology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

Lisa always sucked lets be honest

she was the true villain of Bart vs. Thanksgiving

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Garrand posted:

Yeah, this was Zibby's response at the time

Looks like there's still a bunch of legal stuff going on in the background.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-simpsons-yeardley-smith-aka-lisa-simpson-accused-of-screwing-her-bff-out-of-small-town-dicks-podcast
And Zibby posted a tweet earlier this month that she still can't talk about it.

Apparently Zibby and Yeardley became close friends over a decade ago by bonding over rough personal times and Yeardley wants to throw all that away because she doesn't want to share creator credit of a successful podcast. Yeardley is such an rear end in a top hat, jesus christ.

She loving sucks, imagine having that much success and still needing to eat your friend's comparative morsel of a lunch.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Lisa always sucked lets be honest

It's pretty bad when I can agree with your character's politics but still hate them for being a condescending preacher.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://youtu.be/hi_fxwLBSFo

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

After Homer and Marge relationship problems the second biggest used plot has to be Lisa doesn’t get top marks in a subject or activity and mopes about it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
B-b-b-b-ut?! I'm better than everyone else!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Ehh. Like just about everything else, Lisa was great until after season 8.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I havent watched an entire episode of The Simpsons since like 2000 or so, watched the first episode of the new season to see how bad it is and there was a scene where Mr. Burns suited up into a mech and it was spoofing the Starcraft 2 release trailer.

What the gently caress.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 23, 2020

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMX11UEhWpA

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Elderbean posted:

I havent watched an entire episode of The Simpsons since like 2000 or so, watched the first episode of the new season to see how bad it is and there was a scene where Mr. Burns suited up into a mech and it was spoofing the Starcraft 4 release trailer.

What the gently caress.

I didn't even know there was a Starcraft 3.

Also, why didn't we get a World of Starcraft?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Iron Crowned posted:

I didn't even know there was a Starcraft 3.

Also, why didn't we get a World of Starcraft?

Blizzard would be the most aware that there's limited room in the market for MMOs, and unless you manage to carve out a rock solid niche then they're ruinously expensive and difficult to make and run.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Iron Crowned posted:

Also, why didn't we get Starcraft: Ghost?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Lmao, whoops, I meant 2.

Starcraft Ghost was scrapped and remade a few times, I think. I think it just became something with no apparent focus that was taking up time and money so blizzard tossed it.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 23, 2020

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Garrand posted:

Yeah, this was Zibby's response at the time

Looks like there's still a bunch of legal stuff going on in the background.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-simpsons-yeardley-smith-aka-lisa-simpson-accused-of-screwing-her-bff-out-of-small-town-dicks-podcast
And Zibby posted a tweet earlier this month that she still can't talk about it.

Apparently Zibby and Yeardley became close friends over a decade ago by bonding over rough personal times and Yeardley wants to throw all that away because she doesn't want to share creator credit of a successful podcast. Yeardley is such an rear end in a top hat, jesus christ.

so she's basically a female kevin sorbo situation?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Kevin Sorbo at least has the excuse of a literal brain injury.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SilvergunSuperman posted:

She loving sucks, imagine having that much success and still needing to eat your friend's comparative morsel of a lunch.

Yeardley Smith hated the monorail episode, if you need another data point about her having bad ideas.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeardley Smith hated the monorail episode, if you need another data point about her having bad ideas.

She claims all the actors hated it. :psyduck:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Imagined posted:

She claims all the actors hated it. :psyduck:

Wtf, why? How? If that's true, they did an even fantastic-er job than I'd previously thought.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

Wtf, why? How? If that's true, they did an even fantastic-er job than I'd previously thought.

Well, it's easy to believe Shearer hated it. He hates everything. Actors often have no idea what makes the show they're in work. Patrick Stewart apparently always hated intellectual, classy Picard and would rather have been a beer & pretzels action hero. Mark Wahlberg thinks 'Boogie Nights' was a poor choice. Harrison Ford didn't like 'Blade Runner'.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Tbf, the monorail episode is a fairly significant departure from what had come before it. The basic concept is grounded in reality but it has a high proportion of wacky jokes and some unbelievably quick pacing. In some ways it barely resembles the show of the previous three seasons.

The trick is that it actually found the sweet spot of silliness that was well put together and funny. It also kept the characteristic of being surprisingly clever, even if that was resigned mostly to old references.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Was nemoy disappearing the first really unrealistic thing in the show

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Muk Dumpster posted:

Does this count

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKWnMN85hUg

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Muk Dumpster posted:

I mean, the same episode opens with a random Flintstones pastiche where Homer slides down a pipe and flies into his car through the (raised) window, and then the first act sees Mr Burns dumping radioactive waste inside trees and this giving a squirrel laser vision... That said, I have to think that there were occasional bizarre gags and silly references even before then (like the Indy bit linked), just not quite at the same frequency as the monorail episode.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I mean, the same episode opens with a random Flintstones pastiche where Homer slides down a pipe and flies into his car through the (raised) window, and then the first act sees Mr Burns dumping radioactive waste inside trees and this giving a squirrel laser vision... That said, I have to think that there were occasional bizarre gags and silly references even before then (like the Indy bit linked), just not quite at the same frequency as the monorail episode.

Mr. Plow ends with God melting all the snow.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The trick is that it actually found the sweet spot of silliness that was well put together and funny. It also kept the characteristic of being surprisingly clever, even if that was resigned mostly to old references.

Imagine the season 1 writers or the current writers' take on the "I shouldn't have stopped for that haircut" gag

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Despite it being a cop show the first few seasons aren't quite so blatant cop love, and I suspect there were disagreements about the tone of the show and Zibby's politics as well. Zibby is fairly openly pro-BLM.

The whole thing is weird as hell because as far as I know the podcast just isn't that big, the podcast explosion is here and they didn't get picked up by Spotify or anything.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 28, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

No.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Season 2 has Blinky the Three Eyed Fish

sweet geek swag posted:

Mr. Plow ends with God melting all the snow.

He does this every year!!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

In non-wacky season one the family electrocutes each other so badly it causes blackouts across the town, and Homer get captured and misidentified as Bigfoot because he's covered in mud.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Muk Dumpster posted:

Homer falls down the gorge pretty early on in season 2.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Most of those apart from the laser eye squirrel could technically happen but nemoy teleporting though

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Why not though? Homer falls down the entire stairs and is uninjured, Maggie is somehow able to instantly reload and shoot a single-shot sticky dart gun, Bart does a slide on concrete like it's nothing, Homer is able to burst his face and belly through a garage door, be unhurt (again), and then somehow get outside instantly

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Transporters could be real

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I feel the gorge bit was the first time they decided they could be a cartoon. It's pretty much a looney tunes bit and still really funny.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Even then they were careful to contrast themselves from Looney Tunes by having Homer get carried off in a stretcher to the hospital.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

In non-wacky season one the family electrocutes each other so badly it causes blackouts across the town, and Homer get captured and misidentified as Bigfoot because he's covered in mud.

Fair point. As wacky as Conan O'Brien was, he was no match for Captain Wacky.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I do like that bit where the family manages to get the doctor to give them a refund on the treatment that's supposed to make them less dysfunctional, and that's when they're all happy and go out for frosty chocolate milkshakes.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Why not though? Homer falls down the entire stairs and is uninjured, Maggie is somehow able to instantly reload and shoot a single-shot sticky dart gun, Bart does a slide on concrete like it's nothing, Homer is able to burst his face and belly through a garage door, be unhurt (again), and then somehow get outside instantly

Maggie's marksmanship was clearly established here.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Imagined posted:

Well, it's easy to believe Shearer hated it. He hates everything. Actors often have no idea what makes the show they're in work. Patrick Stewart apparently always hated intellectual, classy Picard and would rather have been a beer & pretzels action hero. Mark Wahlberg thinks 'Boogie Nights' was a poor choice. Harrison Ford didn't like 'Blade Runner'.

Harrison ford only likes movies about crashing airplanes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wonder if anyone young enough to be raised on later Simpsons seasons will have any understanding of how genuinely awesome the new TV Homer said they were going to get sounded

"A little cart so we can wheel it into the dining room on holidays", god drat, what a luxury it was to be able to watch Christmas specials while we ate