Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azza Bamboo posted:

Watching old races makes me appreciate how much the camerawork and telemetry has come on since 1981. The commentator is carrying this.

Imagine if it was Crofty commentating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

jazzyhattrick posted:

"Piquet is going for an unique tyre strategy that could give him an edge in this race."

"A really bad launch for Piquet, but this could work out in his favour. He's behind the other cars now, and he can take advantage of the dryer track with his slicks."

"It's Jones and Reutemann and they're wheel-to-wheel. Patresi wheel-to-wheel with Jones. Jones wheel to wheel with the spray coming off his wheels."

"I had a skirt once. Bernie never asked me to take it off."

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

jazzyhattrick posted:

*car runs over a mechanic*
Crofty: AND THEY'RE WHEEL TO HEEL!!

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

CancerCakes posted:

France just stopped all travel from UK lol - one nation can never control its borders, that's what borders are for. If you control it the border it isnt a border.

So you’re saying the borders that the UK already had control of before, it now doesn’t have control of and never did? Wow this Brexit thing sounds like something worth voting for

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

ROFLBOT posted:

So you’re saying the borders that the UK already had control of before, it now doesn’t have control of and never did? Wow this Brexit thing sounds like something worth voting for

all the british posters itt voted for brexit and want to kiss big nige farage on the lips

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

track day bro! posted:

all the british posters itt voted for brexit and want to kiss big nige farage on the lips

I voted against, because David Cameron is that rarest of things, a bad English lad who doesn't mean well at all, and I thought he'd gently caress the whole thing up.

But just LMAO if you don't think the EU are a bunch of corrupt and fraudulent unaccountable neolibs.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Khablam posted:

*car runs over a mechanic*
Crofty: AND THEY'RE WHEEL TO HEEL!!

:golfclap:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

jazzyhattrick posted:

But just LMAO if you don't think the EU are a bunch of corrupt and fraudulent unaccountable neolibs.

Lmao yeah no. The EU owns.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the corona quid posted:

The EU is what would happen if the FIA were given the power to make laws OP.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

jazzyhattrick posted:

The EU is what would happen if the FIA were given the power to make laws OP.

Call me crazy but I love tightly regulated product safety standards, actual free trade that isn’t a mechanism for wage suppression, and people actually doing something about the cancer that is big tech. That’s just me though 🤷🏼‍♂️

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The world is now putting the UK under enforced quarantine. Expect the 2021 season to open with two Ferraris , two Alphas and two Alfas.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

The world is now putting the UK under enforced quarantine. Expect the 2021 season to open with two Ferraris , two Alphas and two Alfas.

sounds good 2 me 3 genuine italian teams and 0 fraudulent british ones

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

the corona quid posted:

Call me crazy but I love tightly regulated product safety standards, actual free trade that isn’t a mechanism for wage suppression, and people actually doing something about the cancer that is big tech. That’s just me though 🤷🏼‍♂️

also imagine giving up your right to live and work in 27 different countries with no paperwork involved because you hate bulgarians lmfao

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

the corona quid posted:

The EU is a cancer upon the great shores of Great Britain and their reign of tyranny and opression over the good, hardworking lads and lasses of this great nation cannot be ended soon enough.

Luckily a new dawn will break on 1st January 2021 and the oppressed masses of the EU will see what true freedom and greatness looks like. The sun will once more shine brightly over the Great British Empire and we will conquer the world, freed from the shackles of straight bananas, Teutonic legislatory overreach and our 100% British Pork sausages being mislabeled as 'emulsified high fat offal tubes' in the European export market. :britain:

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Is brexit finally loving happening?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

bgreman posted:

I paid the $3/month for the F1TV archives access and am working through the 1981 season now and it's interesting. Different cars are appreciably different looking and there's slightly more overtaking than now.

Circuit design seems to be actively hostile to driver, marshal, and spectator safety.

Coverage is pretty meh because the commentators are always scrambling to adjust to the video feed, which changes away from interesting things to irrelevant shots of Nelson Piquet lapping the field. No lap numbers and very infrequent timing graphics. The footage itself is surprisingly good for being 40 year old video.

It's a great season. Everything from 1980-1991 is excellent. But yes, early 80s safety standards sucked rear end, the most idiotic is the aborted first start of the Belgian GP that year.

Passing was also easier, which gives me a little bit of hope for new GE cars. Isn't in nice that they can follow?

Frond fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 21, 2020

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

bgreman posted:

Jfc the start of the 81 Belgium GP. :stonk:

Edit: these cars slide around a whole lot more, wow

I see they left that in. Stohr had a bit of a breakdown after that and left racing.

It's funny when you see them bouncing. They had to be thrown into corners more or less - very physical to drive, which benefitted guys like Keke Rosberg, Gillles, and Arnoux. You can also watch Renault gently caress up repeatedly in real time. I'm of the opinion the RE20/RE30 could have been championship winners if Renault would pull it's head out of it's rear end and stop making repeated dumb mistakes.

Frond fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 21, 2020

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
4 different tire manufacturers too.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

bgreman posted:

The older races basically all have a one hour "In Review" condensed race package. Some also have a misleadingly named "extended highlight" package, which is 20-40 mins. A few of the classic races have the full event available (81 Britain and 81 Vegas for example), which becomes more common as we approach the present. I think all seasons from 2008 on have all races fully available. The "In Review" packages get a lot shorter in later seasons (Australia 2005 is only like 15 mins).

I can't believe how often the marshals just leave retired cars at the trackside, and how there's no safety car, so marshals being passed at speed on the track happens all the time.

Service vehicles too. Cars being ditched was because it was safer to leave them off line/off track honestly - you don't wanted to be murked by a car going 300km/h+ while retrieving a stricken one.

Interesting. I've downloaded all seasons from 1980-1994 so I've got all the races, but they are variously in English, German, Portugese, Spanish, French, Italian or Japanese.

Frond fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 21, 2020

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If they have full races from the 80s in English that’s a huge selling point for me

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the corona quid posted:

If they have full races from the 80s in English that’s a huge selling point for me

Yeah it's cliché but Murray/Hunt is great. Although sometimes it's pretty apparent he had it in for Italians - Patrese mostly but others as well.

Oddly enough though the best quality races I have are the Fuji TV ones. Nearly flawless

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The South American broadcasts look like they are filmed in a fishbowl lol.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Merc can just ship the #Blessed car to the race and we can put a non Brit in it after spraying it down with desinfactant (for the gravy stains).

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Frond posted:

yeah one of the 80s monaco's I downloaded was all in japanese but easily the best quality I had seen for anything before 99 from the brit or aussie broadcasts

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Lou Takki posted:

Is brexit finally loving happening?
Yes and it's everything I hoped it would be

https://www.vice.com/en/article/dy8x77/this-corner-of-england-is-ground-zero-for-brexit-chaos-and-it-literally-reeks-of-piss

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
brexit is the queens gift to me

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

the corona quid posted:

Tbh I’ve never thought that I should sit down and watch a replay of an old race

Instead I’ll rewatch Star Trek episodes

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

To each their own 🤷🏼‍♂️

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

As an american it makes me oddly happy to laugh at someone else's government misery instead of our own.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol I wonder what fluis is waiting for in contract renewal

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Frond posted:

#3cerracismo

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

FAUXTON posted:

lol I wonder what fluis is waiting for in contract renewal

An equity stake in the team, or Daimler.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Theophany posted:

The EU is a cancer upon the great shores of Great Britain and their reign of tyranny and opression over the good, hardworking lads and lasses of this great nation cannot be ended soon enough.

Eh, I got a good chuckle at the EU recently telling Hamilton that he couldn't stop the watchmaker with the same name from selling watches since they already had said name 93 years before he was born.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh my brother lives on Guernsey too Theo

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Eh, I got a good chuckle at the EU recently telling Hamilton that he couldn't stop the watchmaker with the same name from selling watches since they already had said name 93 years before he was born.

That is one of the dumbest lawsuits I have ever seen, surely there's more back story to it

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

The Big Jesus posted:

That is one of the dumbest lawsuits I have ever seen, surely there's more back story to it

probably not he probably was going to license his name to a watch brand idk I'm not reading an article

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I mentioned this in the watch thread and I don't remember what the answer was but isn't it true that Hamilton is a sub brand of a massive Swiss conglomerate of watch brands who only bought the rights to the name "Hamilton" after the actual Hamilton company went tits up in the 70s and they are Hamilton in the same way Royal Enfield is Royal Enfield so saying they've been "making watches for 93 years" is rather shameful capitalist propaganda which regards money as truth. But legally they did have the name before Lewis was born.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

the paradigm shift posted:

probably not he probably was going to license his name to a watch brand idk I'm not reading an article

Hm that makes sense. I bet there's not a Shamilton brand out there though

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Lewis probably knew nothing about it, he has managers to handle his rights. They just tried to register his name for a lot of goods, to see what sticks

3 years is not long in cases like this

Oppositions at euipo are straight forward and pretty cheap

This is such a nothing burger that I will just finish my post with

Faaaaaarrttttt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Buying some heritage and prestige for your company is nothing new.

SAIC bought Rover and MG for the heritage of selling piles of trash with warmed over K engines slotted in. At least they’re being faithful to British Leyland’s origins.