Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Been going back and forth between the Kia Telluride, Hyundai Palisade, and Mazda CX-9. I think we've nixed the CX-9 because the third row is uncomfortable and lacks the LATCH system we would want for our three kids. I think we've settled on the Palisade because of availability, but am I being nitpicky for not wanting AWD and preferring FWD? Yes, I know the Telluride and Palisade driver identically otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DTaeKim posted:

Been going back and forth between the Kia Telluride, Hyundai Palisade, and Mazda CX-9. I think we've nixed the CX-9 because the third row is uncomfortable and lacks the LATCH system we would want for our three kids. I think we've settled on the Palisade because of availability, but am I being nitpicky for not wanting AWD and preferring FWD? Yes, I know the Telluride and Palisade driver identically otherwise.

No minivan?

DTaeKim posted:

As an addendum, if you plan on having more than two children and/or intend to carry passengers in addition to your kids, just get the minivan. Any third row in a SUV is going to be painful to get in and out.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Our primary driver is a 2018 Honda Odyssey. While I would love to have my Mazda3 again, we sold it to my brother in law. I intended to get a Mazda CX-5, but my wife and MIL wanted a car that could serve as a back-up to the minivan if needed.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DTaeKim posted:

You’re buying the car. It’s not nitpicking when you’re spending the money. Buy what you want.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 21, 2020

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DTaeKim posted:

Our primary driver is a 2018 Honda Odyssey. While I would love to have my Mazda3 again, we sold it to my brother in law. I intended to get a Mazda CX-5, but my wife and MIL wanted a car that could serve as a back-up to the minivan if needed.

Seriously, how often are you going to need a backup for the minivan? It's going to be a long time before the Odyssey requires any service. The times when you need to fit both you and your wife and your three kids in a car while the Odyssey is unavailable you will be able to count on one hand, and nearly all of those situations can be dealt with with some planning.

It's kind of silly to buy a mostly useless car for the 1 day every five years you need something that will hold five people comfortably. A car that can seat 4 well and squeeze in 5 in a pinch is going to be good enough nearly all the time.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Seriously, how often are you going to need a backup for the minivan? It's going to be a long time before the Odyssey requires any service. The times when you need to fit both you and your wife and your three kids in a car while the Odyssey is unavailable you will be able to count on one hand, and nearly all of those situations can be dealt with with some planning.

It's kind of silly to buy a mostly useless car for the 1 day every five years you need something that will hold five people comfortably. A car that can seat 4 well and squeeze in 5 in a pinch is going to be good enough nearly all the time.

You've got an excellent point. We've been looking for third row SUVs because of my MIL who is probably stuck in the mindset that cars need regular trips to the garage for a week at a time and that you need a new car at 100K miles.

Thanks for the reality check. We have two 4-year olds and a toddler so we would need a second car that can fit 5. It will serve as my daily driver and the back-up car on a pinch. Guess we're can look at the Mazda CX-5 again, but what other cars have comfy second rows that can potentially fit two booster seats and a car seat in the second row? I see the Hyundai Santa Fe is one possibility.

DTaeKim fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 21, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Deteriorata posted:

Seriously, how often are you going to need a backup for the minivan? It's going to be a long time before the Odyssey requires any service. The times when you need to fit both you and your wife and your three kids in a car while the Odyssey is unavailable you will be able to count on one hand, and nearly all of those situations can be dealt with with some planning a rental.
FTFY

Buy what you want, and makes sense. Upsizing and spending more plus losing fuel mileage for a "what if" is a bad idea. Hell, towing your spare car behind the main car at all times would be even better!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Subaru Outback is an evergreen choice in that segment.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm not sure if the VW Atlas has many things to recommend it but one thing it is is really, really loving wide, and apparently designed for carrying child seats and child seat related equipment in the 2nd row. They even make a coupe version that just has 2 rows too.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Is the Volkswagen worth adding to the shortlist? I've read enough posts warning against German cars.

I've got the Mazda CX-5, Subaru Outback, and Hyundai Santa Fe. Any others?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I'm always amazed by the amount of people that buy a vehicle for the once or twice a year max thing they might need it for instead of just buying something way more sensible and getting a rental when they need it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

fknlo posted:

getting a rental when they need it.
"Wait so I have to *drive* to the car place to get the car? Where do I leave *my car*?!"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arent some of those VWs chyslers in disguise.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

DTaeKim posted:

Is the Volkswagen worth adding to the shortlist? I've read enough posts warning against German cars.

I think people are generally referring to the luxury brands (Audi, Mercedes and BMW) when referring to “German” cars.

VW has become much more mainstream over the past 10 years, and repairs/parts shouldn’t be all that much more expensive then equivalent services on American/Japanese/Korean vehicles.

With that being said, generally VW’s vehicles have average or below-average reliability scores, and honestly most of their cars don’t really seem to have any real advantages over Japanese/Korean competitors.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

fknlo posted:

I'm always amazed by the amount of people that buy a vehicle for the once or twice a year max thing they might need it for instead of just buying something way more sensible and getting a rental when they need it.

I had actually just wanted a large SUV that could fit five passengers since my compact car wasn't capable of that anymore. My MIL insisted on a third row SUV "just-in-case." We then started looking into those before this thread talked sense back into me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DTaeKim posted:

I had actually just wanted a large SUV that could fit five passengers since my compact car wasn't capable of that anymore. My MIL insisted on a third row SUV "just-in-case." We then started looking into those before this thread talked sense back into me.

What does your mother in law have to do with your car buying decisions?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure "insisting" means "voiced a strong opinion" here and not that the OP's car buying needs explicit approval from the MIL or anything considering the OP has moved on from that advice.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DTaeKim posted:

Sorry, I wasn’t trying to directly target you here as this is just a super common thing in the US.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

euphronius posted:

Arent some of those VWs chyslers in disguise.

The Routan was but that's been dead for years.

Bouillon Rube posted:

I think people are generally referring to the luxury brands (Audi, Mercedes and BMW) when referring to “German” cars.

VW has become much more mainstream over the past 10 years, and repairs/parts shouldn’t be all that much more expensive then equivalent services on American/Japanese/Korean vehicles.

With that being said, generally VW’s vehicles have average or below-average reliability scores, and honestly most of their cars don’t really seem to have any real advantages over Japanese/Korean competitors.

I'd argue that generally a VW is a more engaging drive than especially most of the Koreans. There are of course exceptions up and down the lineup. Up to you whether you care. Traditionally, they've also covered some product segments that other brands have not (compact wagon, performance hatch, etc).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

DTaeKim posted:

Don't rule out sedans, full to midsize sedans can fit three kids in the back with their seats easily.

Honda Accord and Toyota Camry is what I'd be looking into. Really good horsepower (300) with the V6 Camry and Turbo Accord (250), would be a hell of a lot more fun to drive than an under powered SUV. The CX5 is slow as hell I drove one and was completely underwhelmed, nice interior tho.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

fknlo posted:

Home Depot vans/trucks really are the greatest.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Don't rule out sedans, full to midsize sedans can fit three kids in the back with their seats easily.

Honda Accord and Toyota Camry is what I'd be looking into. Really good horsepower (300) with the V6 Camry and Turbo Accord (250), would be a hell of a lot more fun to drive than an under powered SUV. The CX5 is slow as hell I drove one and was completely underwhelmed, nice interior tho.

Motronic, powderific nailed it on the head. Everytime we talked about the new car she expressed her opinion that we should look into a third row SUV. Eventually I gave in so she would shut up about it.

I didn't realize a mid- to full-size sedan can also fit the bill. I see I have a lot more to consider. I think we're still leaning SUV but I appreciate the range of opinions. I did read a couple of reviews that the Santa Fe and CX-5 felt underpowered unless you sprung for the turbo engine.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DTaeKim posted:

Motronic, powderific nailed it on the head. Everytime we talked about the new car she expressed her opinion that we should look into a third row SUV. Eventually I gave in so she would shut up about it.

I didn't realize a mid- to full-size sedan can also fit the bill. I see I have a lot more to consider. I think we're still leaning SUV but I appreciate the range of opinions. I did read a couple of reviews that the Santa Fe and CX-5 felt underpowered unless you sprung for the turbo engine.

Every time someone buys an SUV, a butterfly has its wings ripped off. Just keep that in mind.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DTaeKim posted:

That seems like a reward for bad behavior, and an invitation to continue making it a regular thing.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People can give misguided advice without it being some kind of toxic controlling behavior. I feel like you're reading a lot into this?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

powderific posted:

People can give misguided advice without it being some kind of toxic controlling behavior. I feel like you're reading a lot into this?

I'm not reading INTO it, I'm reading what was written.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

She should have had no input on my future car and I was wrong to let her steer our decision-making process. This isn't the thread for discussing her behavior though, I'm just looking for cars that can fit two booster seats and a car seat in the second row in a pinch.

I see the Honda Accord can do that surprisingly. While looking into the Accord, I'm reading about the Kia K5. Anyone drive one?

DTaeKim fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 22, 2020

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Whatever you end up deciding to test drive, make sure you bring along the boosters and car seat to actually check fit. Technically fitting isn't the same as living with it.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Yeah; you can technically get some brands of well regarded full size forward facing car seats in a prius but actually doing it would probably involve two hours with a shoehorn and endless loving around with the latch system.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

King of False Promises posted:

Whatever you end up deciding to test drive, make sure you bring along the boosters and car seat to actually check fit. Technically fitting isn't the same as living with it.

Seriously this. And having a CX5 with twins, I wouldn’t subject anyone to sitting in the middle. The RAV4 and CRV would both be better for space. I don’t have any issues with power but I’m also not worried about winding an engine out in daily driving conditions.

Also, if you haven’t already, consider different size seats for the kids. We have the big gently caress off ones in the CX5 and slimmer ones in our Mazda3. New car seats are cheap compared to making a new vehicle fit what you already have.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If I found a car I really liked I'd try like hell to find decent kid seats that would fit in it rather than trying to find a car that fits the drat seats I already had.

Especially boosters they start at like $15 and most boosters are pretty drat small to begin with. Then before you know it the toddler will be in a booster and the kids that are in the boosters won't need those anymore either. Really, any mid size sedan or SUV should be fine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

on the other hand if you're buying a modern CUV they're not very differentiated so why spend the extra money to replace your seats (which you are significantly underestimating)

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

on the other hand if you're buying a modern CUV they're not very differentiated so why spend the extra money to replace your seats (which you are significantly underestimating)

Huh? You’d replace your car seats if the ones you have are too large to fit in the configuration you want.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
The kid car seats, not the car car seats

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Huh? You’d replace your car seats if the ones you have are too large to fit in the configuration you want.

sure but if you already have the kid car seats, i don't think it's worth it to replace the kid car seats to say get a Mazda CX-5 over a CR-V or whatever

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Following up from my coworkers experience with Vroom, their vehicle was delivered yesterday and the driver nope'd out while they were in the vehicle checking it over.

Their evening ended with a trip to pep boys/autozone because it had been delivered with a battery that was just about flat.

Stay awayyyyyyyyy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Following up from my coworkers experience with Vroom, their vehicle was delivered yesterday and the driver nope'd out while they were in the vehicle checking it over.

Their evening ended with a trip to pep boys/autozone because it had been delivered with a battery that was just about flat.

Stay awayyyyyyyyy.

What do you mean here? The vehicle was unloaded for inspection and....presumably acceptance that hasn't been signed....and the driver left? Without proof of delivery/acceptance?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
As they tell it:

"Hey we're outside!"

:burger:" ah oh uh... poo poo... hey brb zoomwork"

"CONGRATS! Plz sign here for keys"

:burger: "yeah, sure, uh, hey let me check the trunk out and storage..."

:zoomed:

:burger: "hey do you have the... extra.... key.... "

*hours later*

:burger: "well I should wash and set the settings to this thing..."

*click clik*

:burger: "hm. I don't think the dome lights should flicker.... and I definitely think they infoscreen shouldn't turn off and on like tha--"

:burger: *in workchat* 'Hey do I need to return a dead battery to Autozone to get a new one? :("

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 22, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Is it literally impossible for you to write a couple of coherent sentences that explain what you are talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Motronic posted:

Is it literally impossible for you to write a couple of coherent sentences that explain what you are talking about?

What you're looking for is:

"FilthyImp's coworker bought a car on Vroom. The delivery driver convinced the buyer to sign the acceptance paperwork before they had looked over the car, and then the delivery driver left. The car turned out to have an electrical issue, which FilthyImp and their coworker assume is a dead battery instead of a phantom drain. FilthyImp does not like Vroom."

FilthyImp, your coworker needs to get that car inspected by a real mechanic right loving now, and if there are any issues, take advantage of Vroom's 7 day/250 mile return policy. You and they don't actually know that the problem is a dead battery, and electrical issues are hell to troubleshoot.