Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I doubt you'd be even able to stick 400 miles worth of batteries in an ICE car without filling up the trunk with batteries, since there's nowhere else to put them.

There's a good series you can follow to see an example of how it can be one and what would be the result: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRnFzklXi4o

IMO unless you want a project, just get a used factory EV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Got my Model 3 last week, my wife says I’m like a 16 year old that just got a license and is willing to drive anywhere just to be able to drive.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

borkencode posted:

Got my Model 3 last week, my wife says I’m like a 16 year old that just got a license and is willing to drive anywhere just to be able to drive.

Love that color for the Model 3, so much that I bought the same one! I assume you got the refresh with the power liftgate, heatpump and new interior. Any delivery issues or are you pretty happy with it? Very cool regardless, congrats!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah that's a great color

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Got it, thanks.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

borkencode posted:

Welcome to the team blue! I really like my blue 2020 P3D- and will also accept any excuse to take it for a drive. And as long as the road conditions are safe hardly a week goes by where I don't stomp that go pedal at least once.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Yup, it's a 2021 with the updated console, heatpump, liftgate.

No issues with the car when delivered, although I have noticed it complaining about the door pillar cameras being blinded a fair amount from the sun, don't know if that's typical.

The delivery itself wasn't quite a smooth as I'd have liked. It's all contact free, which is nice in theory, but also means there's nobody right there if you hit a glitch. I had to sign out and back in to the tesla app on my phone to get the car to show up so we could get in to sign the paperwork. Then after signing the paperwork we dropped it off in their drop box and had to wait for them to make sure everything was ok. So we waited a while and didn't hear anything, so I called and I guess someone had dropped it off on the delivery advisors desk without saying anything. It only took a moment for him to check, and we were done, but still it added 20-30 minutes maybe to the process.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

My first reaction to that was "god drat that grille looks so much worse than Model 3". Initially the M3 needed getting used to, but I got used to it and started liking it. Probably helps that I've always liked the aggressive top-forward look, old Peugeots, Mitsubishi Galants, BMWs, have always been my favourite. If a grille is unwanted then a bonnet that curves down makes sense, but I find that design lackluster unless we are dealing with a proper low wedge.

A while back I realized I had forgotten what the Model S looked like from the front, after seeing so much more M3s. So I kept an eye on them and was horrified when I spotted one of those black featureless ovals. If you want a grille it needs features and depth, graphical pattern isn't enough. And if you make a grille-like that has been completely blocked off I will have it by default, just like those fake Audi exhaust tips from terrible car stuff thread.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The Mustang EV grill looks exactly like the original Model S grill.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Shamino posted:

Will you permaban yourself forever if the cybertruck gets built?

Charles posted:

I think they were saying that it won't match the concept vehicle, not that it won't be built at all.

MomJeans420 posted:

what was previously shown is not going to get made

Charles has it right - A cybertruck may get built, THE cybertruck will not

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

MomJeans420 posted:

True. The real question is how far off the concept will be from production. And I'm betting it's far closer than you think.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

MomJeans420 posted:

Keep moving them goalposts.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Shamino posted:

He's got them on wheels at this point.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's rare for production vehicles to be close to their concept, EV or not. Still, I bet Elon will demand it is. If they can figure out how to get it to meet pedestrian safety, I think they can. I don't know anything about production lines or molds or that kind of stuff though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Charles posted:

It's rare for production vehicles to be close to their concept, EV or not. Still, I bet Elon will demand it is. If they can figure out how to get it to meet pedestrian safety, I think they can. I don't know anything about production lines or molds or that kind of stuff though.

As it's been pointed out to me when I've questioned how the hell any of the latest ridiculous trucks the USA have on sale, there is no / minimum pedestrian safety standard for this class of vehicle. Which does my head in and thats just sooooo unfair given popups and wedges died because of pedestrian safety laws for cars in Europe / Japan.

And if that's actually the case, I'm fairly sure it'll reach production in mostly that concept form - Tesla have a history of concept becoming reality and there are Cybertruck prototypes running about right now in basically unchanged form. Based on Tesla history as well tho, don't expect the first one to be delivered before 2023.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Are there cybertruck prototypes? I don’t think I’ve seen anything since Elon’s smashing demo.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

borkencode posted:

Are there cybertruck prototypes? I don’t think I’ve seen anything since Elon’s smashing demo.

Two, probably more. Musk drives one about.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

As it's been pointed out to me when I've questioned how the hell any of the latest ridiculous trucks the USA have on sale, there is no / minimum pedestrian safety standard for this class of vehicle. Which does my head in and thats just sooooo unfair given popups and wedges died because of pedestrian safety laws for cars in Europe / Japan.

And if that's actually the case, I'm fairly sure it'll reach production in mostly that concept form - Tesla have a history of concept becoming reality and there are Cybertruck prototypes running about right now in basically unchanged form. Based on Tesla history as well tho, don't expect the first one to be delivered before 2023.

While that's true about the U.S. I really think they want to sell these globally, as they do with the rest of their cars. I do hope we get some crazy looking thing (and as someone who walks frequently, doesn't slice people in half).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Charles posted:

While that's true about the U.S. I really think they want to sell these globally, as they do with the rest of their cars. I do hope we get some crazy looking thing (and as someone who walks frequently, doesn't slice people in half).

Its supposably going to be offered in Australia so the only way they could pass regulations would be as a commercial vehicle.

Itll be no worse than any Hilux with bullbar that is ADR compliant. Or even without the bullbar, a new Hilux would hit someome my size chest high and they would be going under it. Modern dual cabs are just stupidly large

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Shamino posted:

I was trying to gently show you what you missed in my statement as it's obvious you aren't going to be setting the high score in reading comprehension any time soon, but when someone quotes their exact previous language it's not really moving the goalposts, is it? But as general life advice people don't usually write extraneous words in quick forum posts, so you can assume they're there for a reason. If you're into toxx clauses, can I assume you're down for one regarding one million robotaxis on the road by the end of 2020? Cross country summon for Teslas? Level 5 FSD?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I would rather not use buttons please. No more snark for this evening thanks ya'll

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

I have a modest riddle that has to do with my home charger and I am wondering if anyone else in this thread has encountered something similar.

We went for a Model S LR+ a few months ago (beginning of October). Prior to that, I had a Juicebox charger installed at my house. It's on a 40A circuit and I configured the charger to limit to 32A. The car is also configured for a max draw of 32A and a charge limit of 80%. For the first month or so, everything was hunky dory - I used the converter the car came with to convert the J1772 connector to the Tesla proprietary one and everything worked great.

Recently, though, the car's gotten a bit weird once it reaches the charge limit. At some point after charging completes and I get the notification on my phone that charging is over, the car begins incessantly polling the charger, for lack of a better term. The car doesn't send me a charging started/stopped notification, but the Juicebox does. The part that worries me is that the polling is accompanied by a clunking sound from the area of the charge connector on the car. If I watch it while it's happening, the charge light on the Juicebox lights up, I hear a clunk sound from the car, and then a few seconds later the charge light turns off and it clunks again. This happens a couple times a minute. My initial suspicion was that it was related to the temperature drop, but I will have to wait for it to warm up again to corroborate that theory. I haven't tried the car at any other chargers, or tried charging a different car with my home charger.

When this happens, I just unplug the car, but I am a little concerned that this could cause damage over time to either the car or the charger. I haven't contacted Tesla yet because resolving the issue is easy enough (just unplug it as soon as I get the charging complete notification) and I'm hoping to delay a service appointment to a time when the pandemic is no longer raging, because there are a few other unrelated issues that I want Tesla to fix with the car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I wonder if it's a battery heater?

BTW can you program the Juicebox itself to stop charging at a % limit?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Does the Juicebox do any control? It sounds a bit like two controllers fighting.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
After way too many phones call and emails, Tesla has finally recognized that they didn't give me a credit/money/etc. for the SRECs and that they are mine. My long nightmare of dealing with their customer service is finally over (I think).

I also got my referral check today, so hopefully a random goon from this thread also got their $250.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Itll be no worse than any Hilux with bullbar that is ADR compliant. Or even without the bullbar, a new Hilux would hit someome my size chest high and they would be going under it. Modern dual cabs are just stupidly large

And yet they're tiny next to the American equivalents.

The local ex-Holden dealer has a Silverado 2500 parked next to an 'HSV' Colorado and the size difference is stark

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrLogan posted:

After way too many phones call and emails, Tesla has finally recognized that they didn't give me a credit/money/etc. for the SRECs and that they are mine. My long nightmare of dealing with their customer service is finally over (I think).

I also got my referral check today, so hopefully a random goon from this thread also got their $250.

!

Gotta go check the mail.

Grats on winning. Tesla customer service (for the automotive side, anyway,) has never struck me as malicious so much as occasionally glaringly incompetent. Not even from an individual rep standpoint so much as a process standpoint.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

chutwig posted:

Recently, though, the car's gotten a bit weird once it reaches the charge limit. At some point after charging completes and I get the notification on my phone that charging is over, the car begins incessantly polling the charger, for lack of a better term. The car doesn't send me a charging started/stopped notification, but the Juicebox does. The part that worries me is that the polling is accompanied by a clunking sound from the area of the charge connector on the car. If I watch it while it's happening, the charge light on the Juicebox lights up, I hear a clunk sound from the car, and then a few seconds later the charge light turns off and it clunks again. This happens a couple times a minute. My initial suspicion was that it was related to the temperature drop, but I will have to wait for it to warm up again to corroborate that theory. I haven't tried the car at any other chargers, or tried charging a different car with my home charger.

I would get them to check out the charging relay ASAP

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
After waiting for almost a year I finally get the call that my Seat Mii electric is ready for delivery aaaaaand I'm in quarantine cause my son got the covid...
Couldn't register it anyway cause everything is closed till at least 10.01.
Just perfect timing....

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

MrYenko posted:

!

Gotta go check the mail.

Grats on winning. Tesla customer service (for the automotive side, anyway,) has never struck me as malicious so much as occasionally glaringly incompetent. Not even from an individual rep standpoint so much as a process standpoint.

I'd describe their customer service as maliciously incompetent. Glad I don't have to deal with it anymore.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Bolt EUV profile spotted without camo. Kinda reminds me of a RAV4.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/12/2022-bolt-euv-caught-undisguised-for-the-first-time/

Charles posted:

Fwiw, they have said it's a US vehicle first, and may be redesigned for international export if there's demand globally, but that isn't expected.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Huh, I'm weirdly ok (looks wise) with going ahead on a '20 Bolt. Yeah the new one will probably have better software and stuff. But I'll take my dorky hatch over generic CUV any day

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Westy543 posted:

Fwiw, they have said it's a US vehicle first, and may be redesigned for international export if there's demand globally, but that isn't expected.

Ah, I hadn't heard that. Hmm

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Westy543 posted:

Bolt EUV profile spotted without camo. Kinda reminds me of a RAV4.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/12/2022-bolt-euv-caught-undisguised-for-the-first-time/

That looks much better than I expected. Waiting for the full reveal where it has a bunch of mandatory lightning bolt decals and the brake lights look like electrical plugs or some dumbass poo poo like that.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Charles posted:

Ah, I hadn't heard that. Hmm
The global market just doesn't buy fullsize pickup trucks in numbers anywhere near the US.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So the Tesla Christmas update just dropped, and for vehicles equipped with a pedestrian warning speaker you can now replace your horn sounds with various amusing audio clips including emissions testing mode sounds, or play holiday/polynesian elevator music out of the PWS, or play the "coconut" sound like monty python.

Oh yeah, some new games and the newer larger animated parked vehicle status visualization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMazxDSjdfQ

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
The new visuals look good. I ran out of the house like it was on fire to try the farting horn - 10/10, can't wait to take this to Walmart.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
One of the new horn options is the DJ airhorn sound (https://www.myinstants.com/instant/mlg-air-horn/), so just had to send a clip of it to my wife's boss who is strangely obsessed with it (he'll play it when they get a new account, etc). He was already pretty interested in the car before, so sent along our referral link too.

You can also add custom sounds via usb, so I'm waiting to see what people come up with.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Ola posted:

The only good remaining case for DIY conversion is to keep a poorly engined classic running, where you don't need fast charging or other modern EV conveniences.

I’d be all over a well done Volvo XC70 or Saab 9-5 conversion. It’d be cheaper than the £70k the VW Id Space Vizzion is rumoured to cost too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Indiana_Krom posted:

So the Tesla Christmas update just dropped, and for vehicles equipped with a pedestrian warning speaker you can now replace your horn sounds with various amusing audio clips including emissions testing mode sounds, or play holiday/polynesian elevator music out of the PWS, or play the "coconut" sound like monty python.

Oh yeah, some new games and the newer larger animated parked vehicle status visualization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMazxDSjdfQ

I don't care for the UI sizing now but apparently they're going to make the UI theme customizable in the near future. You'll be able to have the whole screen be the map UI, half/half, etc. I like the other changes like putting the wiper toggle over to the left more and the one touch button for the cameras.

If this thing had Carplay I would just be all set, I hope Apple eventually shits or gets off pot with their EV efforts. Right now apparently Tesla refuses to adopt either tech because they don't want to give Apple/Google all of their fleet driving info or whatever.