Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That looks very professional! Have you sketched out your bench/machines/storage etc. on the interior at all? Making little scale cutouts of the footprints with in/outfeed requirements built in helped me alot when I was trying to figure out my shop layout.

I don't know how clean you need the server room to stay, but you might make the door to it open into the office instead of the shop to give a little more distance between it and the dust? Also gives more wall space in the shop for storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mm, perhaps

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
So, how many servers of what sort are you going to have JB?

I have thought a lot, and for home use I can’t see requiring anything that needs its own room - and would just squeeze it in the network cupboard you have in the house.

Any reason you want it in your garden building?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wooger posted:

So, how many servers of what sort are you going to have JB?

I have thought a lot, and for home use I can’t see requiring anything that needs its own room - and would just squeeze it in the network cupboard you have in the house.

Don't really want to go into it, but it's for my business as well.

wooger posted:

Any reason you want it in your garden building?

Got the space.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Jaded Burnout posted:

1:40 floorplan.

I notice that I've not put on the pipes and conduits on the right hand side, I'll have to add those.

I might swap the positions of the bog and server room around if you can work it around your aircon unit plans.

You're likely going to be sitting in the office trying to concentrate and work at times. If you can put 2 walls and a 1.5m air gap between you and the servers rather than just 1 wall it is better.

Yes the walls may be insulated but having worked in many new build IT offices that are next door to the server room you can often still feel or hear the servers when sitting in the office (depending on how much/what kit you are putting in there). I don't know how much that annoys you but it annoys me!

Also if you end up using a seperate wall unit for the server aircon get them to mount it on the external wall to avoid vibrations. you may think that this is common sense because this way it will pull air from the back of the server cabinet but I have found that aircon fitters just seem to love putting wall units on the longest walls in small rooms despite what you say to them or put in the specifications!

With my new build IT project manager hat on I would also point out that to do this properly you should ensure that your air con wall units don't end up above your server cab (to avoid water condensation/leakage onto equipment), and also that having a toilet next to a server room would trigger the use of watertight flooring/skirting and addition of a floor drain in the bathroom to avoid any flooding issues to our server equipment in case of a water leak :)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tomarse posted:

I might swap the positions of the bog and server room around if you can work it around your aircon unit plans.

You're likely going to be sitting in the office trying to concentrate and work at times. If you can put 2 walls and a 1.5m air gap between you and the servers rather than just 1 wall it is better.

Yes the walls may be insulated but having worked in many new build IT offices that are next door to the server room you can often still feel or hear the servers when sitting in the office (depending on how much/what kit you are putting in there). I don't know how much that annoys you but it annoys me!

Also if you end up using a seperate wall unit for the server aircon get them to mount it on the external wall to avoid vibrations. you may think that this is common sense because this way it will pull air from the back of the server cabinet but I have found that aircon fitters just seem to love putting wall units on the longest walls in small rooms despite what you say to them or put in the specifications!

With my new build IT project manager hat on I would also point out that to do this properly you should ensure that your air con wall units don't end up above your server cab (to avoid water condensation/leakage onto equipment), and also that having a toilet next to a server room would trigger the use of watertight flooring/skirting and addition of a floor drain in the bathroom to avoid any flooding issues to our server equipment in case of a water leak :)

Good advice, thanks. While I'll have more kit than can comfortably share a comms cab, I'll have enough spare room in a (admittedly overspec'd) server room that I can sacrifice a fair few U of space at the bottom of the racks as a flooding insurance policy.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Is there a possibility that you don't even need the toilet? Once you have the workshop up and running you will always want more space, and if you are only a minute from the house then do you need duplicate functionality?

How are you cladding the interior walls, plasterboard? You might want to consider where you might want to hangthings and put cross braces in the studs. Or put a brace at about 140 cm off the floor all the way round - knowing that you have a heavy attachment possibility at all positions will come in useful.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Cool plans! I'm not sure what you have in mind for your shop layout but it might make sense to put the wood stove in a corner or something so it's not interrupting your longest wall.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

CancerCakes posted:

Is there a possibility that you don't even need the toilet? Once you have the workshop up and running you will always want more space, and if you are only a minute from the house then do you need duplicate functionality?

I don't want to have to trek across the garden. Heck, I'm putting two in the house.

CancerCakes posted:

How are you cladding the interior walls, plasterboard? You might want to consider where you might want to hangthings and put cross braces in the studs. Or put a brace at about 140 cm off the floor all the way round - knowing that you have a heavy attachment possibility at all positions will come in useful.

Not sure yet, but probably not normal plastering/plasterboard, because a fine finish isn't as important as flexibility. So probably some sort of panel, maybe concrete fibre, maybe ply, not sure yet.

dreesemonkey posted:

Cool plans! I'm not sure what you have in mind for your shop layout but it might make sense to put the wood stove in a corner or something so it's not interrupting your longest wall.

It might, though it's only interrupting one of the two longest walls. Part of the consideration is that the flue location in the roof is important structurally, but that's something to discuss with others later. If I have it away from the peak of the roof, I'll need to angle the flue up along the inside of the roof, because I can't have a big flue sticking out of the building.

My suspicion is that that wall will be interrupted anyway, and anything really long can go on the north wall. But 8m is a LOT of wall.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 8, 2020

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Are through-the-wall chimney installations common in the UK? It would probably be my first choice as it's less holes in your roof and you could probably hide it from view from your house ok enough.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

dreesemonkey posted:

Are through-the-wall chimney installations common in the UK? It would probably be my first choice as it's less holes in your roof and you could probably hide it from view from your house ok enough.

It's an option but iirc from my skim of the installation instructions they recommend against it, partly because you want the flue as vertical as possible, and partly because you want to keep the flue inside the skin of the building for as long as possible (and/or you have to insulate the poo poo out of it).

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Have you seen the double sided wood burners you can get? If you could have one side in the office and one side in the workshop that would be sweet.

Keep up the good work, this thread is an inspiration (and a reminder that I should update mine...)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Jaded Burnout posted:

Good advice, thanks. While I'll have more kit than can comfortably share a comms cab, I'll have enough spare room in a (admittedly overspec'd) server room that I can sacrifice a fair few U of space at the bottom of the racks as a flooding insurance policy.

If you are putting racks (plural) in there then your room is going to be very tight for space. Add your chosen cabinet(s) onto your floor plan remembering that you need clearance at the front and rear (and clearance at the front needs to be not only the 50cm for the door but the total depth of any rackmount equipment). My spec is 1m clearance at the front of a 1m deep rack and 50cm-1m at the back

Additionally if you have 2 cabs in there facing the door, you are only going end up with 40-50cm (vendor/exact internal room width dependant) between them to squeeze through from front to back.

Even if you are only filling up one cabinet you are also going to want a dedicated 16A supply in there (like the 16A commando you got for your woodworking stuff) especially if you want to put it all on a UPS for power protection.

Give me a shout if you need assistance doing power/heat/server spec! :)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tomarse posted:

If you are putting racks (plural) in there then your room is going to be very tight for space. Add your chosen cabinet(s) onto your floor plan remembering that you need clearance at the front and rear (and clearance at the front needs to be not only the 50cm for the door but the total depth of any rackmount equipment). My spec is 1m clearance at the front of a 1m deep rack and 50cm-1m at the back

Additionally if you have 2 cabs in there facing the door, you are only going end up with 40-50cm (vendor/exact internal room width dependant) between them to squeeze through from front to back.

Even if you are only filling up one cabinet you are also going to want a dedicated 16A supply in there (like the 16A commando you got for your woodworking stuff) especially if you want to put it all on a UPS for power protection.

Give me a shout if you need assistance doing power/heat/server spec! :)

Thanks! It'll probably be one actual rack, floor to ceiling, front-loaded, room round the back for access, room round the side to get past, and then some other whatevers to hold whatever rando computer bits.

Right now (as can be seen from these discussions, I hope) I'm not too worried about wiring etc, since the current focus is on ensuring it can stay upright, and only a two decisions (where toilet, where comms cab) need to be made before the concrete is poured. And even then I might just go through the wall and avoid having to bake that in to the floor.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

remove toilet, pee in yard

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

nah, european over here

european in the garden instead of a toilet

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

either way, you're a'peein'

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Thank you for that laugh today. I needed it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

After some work on my santee's main gift (most of which will have to be redone) I completed the last of the plans necessary for pre-application planning advice from the local council, and sent it all off.

Here's tonight's work.

Oh, and I bought an A3 scanner. It's a shame that imgur's resizing is so blurry.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Quote has come in to fully clear the land and install new fencing all the way around. £8k or so, most of which is for the fencing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Initial discussions with the structural engineer, he passed me along to his colleague for quotes on planning & regs assistance (which I'd explicitly not asked for), and the dude immediately gives me bad advice. This is why I have trust issues. This is why I wind up reading all the drat regs myself, because if I'm going to have to do it anyway I may as well not spend a grand for someone else's off-base opinion.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Have you thought about getting an engineering degree and just signing off on everything yourself?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

schmug posted:

Have you thought about getting an engineering degree and just signing off on everything yourself?

(un)fortunately it needs independent signoff. Maybe grover has some new tricks these days.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My neighbour had a skip for something or other and invited me to dump anything I had around once he was done with it, so I finally got rid of a bunch of annoying trash that I had left over and was going to be a pain to take to the tip. Didn't want to dump a car battery in there so I'll still need to take that myself.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
How far are you from the ocean? It’s the UK so it can’t be that far.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Quite close, but the tip is closer.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Jaded Burnout posted:

My neighbour had a skip for something or other and invited me to dump anything I had around once he was done with it, so I finally got rid of a bunch of annoying trash that I had left over and was going to be a pain to take to the tip. Didn't want to dump a car battery in there so I'll still need to take that myself.

scrap car batteries are worth actual money for their lead content (between £5 and £20 depending on size) so if you were to either leave it out on the kerb or flag down your local rag and bone man as he passes then you will be rid of it very quickly!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tomarse posted:

scrap car batteries are worth actual money for their lead content (between £5 and £20 depending on size) so if you were to either leave it out on the kerb or flag down your local rag and bone man as he passes then you will be rid of it very quickly!

I did wonder if that was the case. I may well do that.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

schmug posted:

You joke but I know someone that did this.

I mean, he didn't get the degree specifically so he could sign off the calcs on his extension, but if you're a chartered structural engineer you absolutely can do it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Slowly working my way through the Approved Documents. They start at A and end at I think R, I'm up to M. They're each a couple hundred pages.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

You are now more informed than any builder in the UK

Were you tempted by SIPs for the construction? If I was doing a project from scratchI would definitely consider it

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I looked at SIPs for my cabin project and if I lived nearer the supplier or had a van id have done it but shipping added too much. Would have been drat quick to put up though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I think they might be a bit too situational.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm beginning to have second thoughts about the building. Wondering if I should just redo the garden and pocket the, what, 50k it'd likely cost to build and outfit it.

It means I'd have to sell my machines, most of the tools. I'd have nowhere to use them properly. Just keep the big-ticket small-volume boxes.

I've got ~£50k and ~$20k in the banks, which is about £40k total after company taxes, and then a timing crapshoot as to how much makes it out after personal taxes. It's still very doable, especially with 4 months to go, but I'm wondering if a big box at the end of the garden is really what I need.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

We just had a similar conundrum on another project, and we went all the way back to basics. What do we actually want to spend our time doing, and how is this change going to bring us closer to that?

If you will actually be in there doing stuff and that is what you want to spend your time doing then great. But can you do what you want to do without it. If you can already do the things you want to do, why not start doing that now rather than spending money, effort on time doing something that will enable you to do things you don't actually want to do?

Or you could explore a minimum cost design and see if it is used.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Yea we can't tell you what you ultimately want.

You could consider building something smaller, kind of an all-purpose space that could be used as a small workshop OR and office, but not necessarily both (thinking long-term if you were considering resale). I imagine you could have room for a dedicated office in your house when you're closer to done so that could eliminate the need for that (potentially).

Or just aim to build the big one. I'm going to assume you like doing this tinkery carpentry type stuff to an extent, but if you're doing it just for the sole purpose of getting your house done instead of a hobby, maybe you don't need a long-term workshop.

I like the big plan, assuming you have the money to build it.

Do you have an alley behind your property that you could use for access to a garage for parking, for instance? I'm guessing no.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

CancerCakes posted:

We just had a similar conundrum on another project, and we went all the way back to basics. What do we actually want to spend our time doing, and how is this change going to bring us closer to that?

If you will actually be in there doing stuff and that is what you want to spend your time doing then great. But can you do what you want to do without it. If you can already do the things you want to do, why not start doing that now rather than spending money, effort on time doing something that will enable you to do things you don't actually want to do?

So, the thing is that I like capability and capacity. I like to be able to do things the way I like them and learn/use skills to do it, and ideally not be constrained in what I can get done. I've got plenty of capability when it comes to digital stuff, and probably enough capacity there.

I'll put it another way. Right now, in terms of computer poo poo and noisy/dirty craft poo poo, I'm doing the equivalent of working on an SUV in a one-car garage. It's doable, it's working alright, but I'm right at capacity and I'd prefer to use the space for something else. So my choices are a) build something purpose-made to give me all the capacity I could ever need, or b) sell everything (or abandon some ideas) that won't fit in to what I have and stop doing it. Or maybe c) rent an industrial unit for, what, £9k/year.

CancerCakes posted:

Or you could explore a minimum cost design and see if it is used.

So, there are some cost cuts I could do. If I shrank the size of the building back down I could save £500/1000 on planning permission, and shrinking it a little further would make it entirely exempt from building control, which would save another, what, 3k maybe. But I'd be a little unsure about doing something like this without that professional backing.

The shrunk size would also reduce material costs but only somewhat proportionally. Labour won't be much reduced, maybe 10%? Stuff like internal structure, power, utilities, all that would still be the same. But I can't keep a table saw and workbench in my combination kitchen/diner.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

dreesemonkey posted:

Yea we can't tell you what you ultimately want.

Sure.

dreesemonkey posted:

I imagine you could have room for a dedicated office in your house when you're closer to done so that could eliminate the need for that (potentially).

I actually already have office space 80% done that I use at the moment, the garden one would just be nicer.

dreesemonkey posted:

Or just aim to build the big one. I'm going to assume you like doing this tinkery carpentry type stuff to an extent, but if you're doing it just for the sole purpose of getting your house done instead of a hobby, maybe you don't need a long-term workshop.

Yeah I like the work and the products of that work, it's not just to finish off the house, I agree that would be a giant waste of money.

dreesemonkey posted:

I like the big plan, assuming you have the money to build it.

I have the money and don't have anything else urgent to spend it on, just considering whether I'll regret it later.

dreesemonkey posted:

Do you have an alley behind your property that you could use for access to a garage for parking, for instance? I'm guessing no.

That would be awesome but no, it's disused(?) orchard property.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Or maybe c) rent an industrial unit for, what, £9k/year.
If you like doing the work yourself and want to continue with your plan to build your own furnishings etc. having your workspace be 30 feet out your back door is pretty hard to beat. It's so easy to go piddle with something for 20 minutes every evening (and suddenly you've worked on it for 2hrs/week!), but having to drive to another site creates some negative inertia. If you like capability and capacity like you say, having a nice shop in the backyard seems like the solution. I'm pretty amazed at what you manage to do in your kitchen, and can only imagine you'd get done with a dedicated space with storage etc. that you don't have to rearrange and reshuffle every time you want to change from doing X to doing Y. Getting all that stuff out of your kitchen (whether you sell it, move to rented space, or build an outbuilding) will be a big improvement in any case.

That being said, if you threw all that money at hiring people to finish the interior of your house-maybe that improves your quality of life even more? I'm not sure how much of an option that is given pandemic/your prior negative experiences with contractors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That being said, if you threw all that money at hiring people to finish the interior of your house-maybe that improves your quality of life even more? I'm not sure how much of an option that is given pandemic/your prior negative experiences with contractors.

The main house is mostly a timing and sequencing thing. I trust contractors fine so long as they're executing a sensible plan and I'm not relying on them for final finishing (except for a few things like tiling).

I do need to make a decision before April, because the foundations, slab, and trenched services have to go in at the same time that the landscapers level the ground, and ideally the bulk of construction should happen before they finish the garden, because otherwise we're tracking heavy materials across the new paths/lawn.

I would say if I'm going to do it I should probably at least have the structure up and weathertight by autumn 2021, even if the interior and outfitting is postponed.

Maybe that's the right sequence. Then bring the house up to spec (minus furniture), then fit out the office/workshop. Workshop shell can be used for large storage (like 4.4m long skirting board pieces) and maybe wired up for machines.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 22, 2020