Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Max Wilco posted:

One of the interesting things about Soulsborne is that seems like there's one boss that's easy for one person and hard for another, but then there's a different boss where it's the opposite. Like, some people say Orphan of Kos from Bloodborne is one of the hardest bosses in the series, and I certainly died to him a lot, but he was relatively easy to figure out compared to Laurence, The First Vicar, which made me want to tear my hair out.

TBF, I think everyone feels that about Laurence.

I've probably died more to the Hemwick Witches than to Orphan, although I wouldn't call Orphan easy; I beat him on the first or second try each playthrough, but usually with few or no vials left and my hands shaking. The Witches just have random BS that they can suddenly string together to kill you from 100% health with no opportunity to react once the unblockable projectile flies in from offscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really hate the Witches of Hemwick

Like to the point that I will sometimes intentionally do the trick where you fight them with 0 insight so they don't summon monsters during the fight, and you get to just walk around beating up the witches. I've beaten them a bunch of times by this point but they're just so annoying that sometimes it's just not worth it to bother doing the "real" fight. (This is such a weird scenario, too, because you always gain 1 insight when you first encounter a boss, so to make this even happen you'd have to trigger the fight, leave, spend all your insight, and come back.)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

I've probably died more to the Hemwick Witches than to Orphan, although I wouldn't call Orphan easy; I beat him on the first or second try each playthrough, but usually with few or no vials left and my hands shaking. The Witches just have random BS that they can suddenly string together to kill you from 100% health with no opportunity to react once the unblockable projectile flies in from offscreen.

I know everyone has their weird peaks and troughs with From bosses but absolutely lmao at this

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think the bosses in this series I like the least are the ones who aren't all that hard, they're just annoying. Witch of Hemwick is one of those. I beat the Watchdog of the Old Lords in the Defiled chalice on the first try (I take no credit, it was all Threaded Cane) and I still just feel my blood pressure rising during the Witch of Hemwick fight.

In Dark Souls 3, I think I feel that way the most about the Crystal Sage and the Twin Princes (although Twin Princes are also pretty challenging on top of being annoying). Maybe I just hate enemies that teleport.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

multijoe posted:

I know everyone has their weird peaks and troughs with From bosses but absolutely lmao at this

Projectile to immobilize you -> eye-gouging grab attack that leaves you on the ground while the second witch runs up -> both start chain-spamming their pink-AoE stomp while you slooowly get back to your feet -> ded.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The witches aren’t too bad on NG but like a couple of other bosses in the game (Paarl is the other obvious one) going a couple NG+ cycles in gives them enough stat boosts that they become kind of a nightmare.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

in my spartan gamer utopia, any child that cannot beat the witches of hemwick by age 7 will be abandoned in the wilderness

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bloodborne's NG+ balance is weird specifically because of blood gems. I think it's probably the harshest jump from NG to NG+ in the series if you haven't done a bunch of Chalice Dungeons to get really good blood gems. With +10 weapons and blood gems strong enough to beat NG, even the beginning of NG+ feels like a chore because enemy HP kinda goes through the roof.

If you've done that blood gem grinding, then you can kinda just sail right through like it's NG but with higher numbers.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 21, 2020

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I didn't think that the demon prince was that hard. It took me several tries to get it down solo but the first phase was the easiest for me. Most of the time you have one of them firing on you from a distance which allows you to stomp on the other and once the first is dead the other is not that hard to beat. I had more issues with the final form but I didn't know that it depended on which one you killed last.

For me the hardest boss without a doubt was Midir, he's a bitch and it took me a lot of time to finally beat him.

Speaking of Bloodborne, I was wondering if there is an issue with my PS4 or something because after playing DS3 at 60FPS playing Bloodborne on the console feels really bad, the game feels laggy as hell and it looks like sometimes it would drop inputs or something. Having said that I just beat Gascoigne and I see how this game can be good, maybe I need to play more but to me for now DS3 plays way better.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Le0 posted:

Speaking of Bloodborne, I was wondering if there is an issue with my PS4 or something because after playing DS3 at 60FPS playing Bloodborne on the console feels really bad, the game feels laggy as hell and it looks like sometimes it would drop inputs or something. Having said that I just beat Gascoigne and I see how this game can be good, maybe I need to play more but to me for now DS3 plays way better.

Bloodborne notoriously has an issue with frame pacing. You'd assume a game running at 30 frames per second would distribute those frames evenly across each second, right? You'd see one frame every 1/30th of a second. But Bloodborne (and other games that have frame pacing issues) isn't quite so steady. You still get 30 frames in a second, but sometimes there's a stutter and you get multiple frames in quick succession, leading to a general feeling that the frame rate is more juddery than it should be.

If you're playing on a base PS4, it's probably dropping below 30 FPS sometimes, too.

It's one of those things that never used to bother me, but now that I've played a bunch of DS3 at 60 FPS (and the Demon's Souls remake), it takes a while of playing before I get used to the uneven 30 FPS of Bloodborne again.

Bloodborne is an incredibly good game but its frame rate and frame pacing issues are definitely noticeable.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I beat nearly every bloodborne boss on the first try going in blind, but the Hemwick Witches killed me, 4 or 5 times, and Martyr Logarius(sp) too many times to count. Some fights are just like that lol.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
If you have the DeS remake, can't you play BB on the PS5 and that would improve the framerate?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

If you have the DeS remake, can't you play BB on the PS5 and that would improve the framerate?

I can play Bloodborne on the PS5, yeah, but it doesn't improve the frame rate one bit. It runs the same as it does in the PS4 Pro's boost mode (or so I hear, I never got a PS4 Pro), which is to say the frame rate stays at 30 more reliably but the frame pacing isn't improved at all. Bloodborne hasn't gotten a patch to take advantage of the PS5 yet and I sorta doubt it will, as much as it would rule.

Incidentally, Dark Souls III has the same frame pacing issue on base PS4/XBone consoles, it's just that DS3 has a PC version where there's no frame pacing issue so a lot of players can escape it. With Bloodborne, you're stuck with it until a patch fixes it, unless you have a jailbroken PS4 Pro and use Lance McDonald's 60 FPS mod. That mod drops the resolution to 720p and lets Bloodborne run at 60 FPS with no frame pacing problems, so the PS5 could absolutely run it at 1080p (or higher) and 60 FPS if it was ever patched to do so.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 22, 2020

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Harrow posted:

I don't think Max Wilco is alone in finding DS3 easier than 1 or 2. For example, there's this SuperBunnyHop video from a few years ago where he implies he found DS3 easier (something like, if you found DS3 easier than the others, note that there are fewer places to fall to your death in each level, to paraphrase).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ9_RJ2EPo0

Thinking about it, DS3 is definitely more generous with bonfires and shortcuts. So maybe a way to put how I feel about it is like, DS3 is harder, but Demon's Souls and DS1 and 2 are more punishing? If that makes sense? I find the moment-to-moment gameplay in DS3 more challenging, but when I die, it feels easier to recover and feels like I lost less time.

This video definitely solidifies why I found DS3 easier than the previous ones. Having just gone back to DS1 after not playing it in years and doing a dodge build really showed me how much that game is built around shield use rather than pure dodging. I died a fairly significant amount of times to bosses that gave me no trouble before like Sif and levels like Sen's fortress were even more challenging.

Part of the difficultly was definitely just learning dodge timing on bosses but my first playtrough of DS3 only took a max of 3 attempts to down any boss for the first time (including nameless king) with a dodge build.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cnidaria posted:

Part of the difficultly was definitely just learning dodge timing on bosses but my first playtrough of DS3 only took a max of 3 attempts to down any boss for the first time (including nameless king) with a dodge build.

I guess that's true for me, too, though Nameless King and Soul of Cinder both took me a lot more than three tries. Most bosses didn't. It could be that there's just something about the pace of combat in DS3 that makes me feel like it's harder/more anxiety-inducing even if it isn't that much harder.

Nameless King took me enough tries my first time through that I drat near rage-quit the game, though on the playthrough I'm doing now I beat him on the second try and it felt extremely good :smuggo:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Le0 posted:

I didn't think that the demon prince was that hard. It took me several tries to get it down solo but the first phase was the easiest for me. Most of the time you have one of them firing on you from a distance which allows you to stomp on the other and once the first is dead the other is not that hard to beat. I had more issues with the final form but I didn't know that it depended on which one you killed last.

For me the hardest boss without a doubt was Midir, he's a bitch and it took me a lot of time to finally beat him.

I had the NPC summons for the Demon Prince fight, so my judgement of that fight (and quite a few others in DS3) is most likely skewed. I was watching a stream where they were talking about SL1 runs in DS3, and they found Demon Prince harder because you've got two bosses to avoid in the first phase (I think they were also doing the runs without dodging), and on SL1, they can one-shot you.

I'm not trying to downplay the difficulty of Midir (he's a tough boss, and you should be proud if you can beat him), but I think one of of the reasons why the fight is difficult is because he's got a ton of health, you can only really do decent damage by hitting his head, and depending on your weapon, you can sometimes whiff shots because of his head movements.

Le0 posted:

Having said that I just beat Gascoigne and I see how this game can be good, maybe I need to play more but to me for now DS3 plays way better.

It took me a while to get the hang of Bloodborne. Defeating Gascoigne is a huge hurdle, and I know it took me a lot of tries to do it. Similar to how the safest place to hit some DS1 bosses is right under them, the best place to dodge from BB enemies is right behind them or right where they just were. The frustrating thing about BB versus DS is that after you die so many times, you start running out of blood vials.

Harrow posted:

I can play Bloodborne on the PS5, yeah, but it doesn't improve the frame rate one bit. It runs the same as it does in the PS4 Pro's boost mode (or so I hear, I never got a PS4 Pro), which is to say the frame rate stays at 30 more reliably but the frame pacing isn't improved at all. Bloodborne hasn't gotten a patch to take advantage of the PS5 yet and I sorta doubt it will, as much as it would rule.

Incidentally, Dark Souls III has the same frame pacing issue on base PS4/XBone consoles, it's just that DS3 has a PC version where there's no frame pacing issue so a lot of players can escape it. With Bloodborne, you're stuck with it until a patch fixes it, unless you have a jailbroken PS4 Pro and use Lance McDonald's 60 FPS mod. That mod drops the resolution to 720p and lets Bloodborne run at 60 FPS with no frame pacing problems, so the PS5 could absolutely run it at 1080p (or higher) and 60 FPS if it was ever patched to do so.

I have to think From/Sony would release an updated version of Bloodborne for PS5 at some point. Even they charged for it (heaven forbid), I'm sure people would buy it en masse, day on, just to play it again at 4K 60FPS. The only reason I could think it wouldn't happen is because they tossed the source code or assets for the game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Demon Prince has stupid high defenses and that’s my main complaint with him. If you have a weapon that does like 500+ physical AR you can do the fight normally, anything else and you have to chip away at him forever.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

skasion posted:

Demon Prince has stupid high defenses and that’s my main complaint with him. If you have a weapon that does like 500+ physical AR you can do the fight normally, anything else and you have to chip away at him forever.

Black Knight weapons deal a 20% damage bonus against demon enemies/bosses, but then I don't know how that factors with the high defense.

High defense is part of why Laurence was such a bastard in Bloodborne. FromSoft really needs to stop doing giant fire bosses who soak up damage.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

DLC bosses having high defenses has been a stock thing in all the Souls games and I wish they’d quit it. It’s so demoralizing to see your numbers go down like that! If you want the fight to be longer just give the boss more health!

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I'm running through DS3 again after my first playthrough last year, then spending time beating BB and DS:R. First time through I played a quality build and I think ending up focusing on strength. In DS:R, I used the Zweihander in pancake mode through most the game, with some dabbling in pyro, but not a lot.

This go through, I'm focusing on int/faith and using pyro in my left hand and dark hand in my right. At level 65, just rescued Karla and got some dark flames that are pretty great. I feel the build is really coming together in a strong way for PvE.

In my efforts to do new things in this playthrough, I'm trying to level up in mound makers covenant and spent some time invading today. I must have invaded dozens of times and maybe won 10% of my invasions. It's going to take forever to get to 30 vertebrae for the covenant reward.

Any suggestions for good pyromancer invasion techniques?

I'm also noticing a weird pattern after pontiff where I'll invade and there will be like three guys running around together and they gang up on me and it's totally one sided. I don't think they're running through the game together, often enemies are unactivated as if the guys are just hanging out and waiting for invasions. What do?

E:I broke sequence and got the sunlight straight sword cuz I heard it pairs nice with faith, but really enjoy the stun lock of the dark hand. I just have to get real close, which can be hard with any player with a sword, nevermind a spear or GS.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Any suggestions for good pyromancer invasion techniques?

Get to smouldering lake as soon as possible and kill the boss, get chaos bed vestiges, and don't level past SL 40 or so. Respec so you have as much as possible in int and faith, and around 19 attunement. Dump everything else. Seriously, put it all into your magic stats, you need them as high as they can possibly go. Kill gundyr and get the prisoners chain so you can at least have some HP. Also wear the witches ring and great swamp ring at all times. The last ring is your flex slot. Throw on the fire clutch ring if you're feeling spicy but that will make you even more of a glass cannon.

In your offhand, hold the saint-tree bellvine so you get the casting speed buff (yes, it affects the pyromancies you cast with your other hand). Otherwise wear a sage ring, but that's not as good. You might also want to carry an actual weapon to swap to sometimes.

Make sure not to upgrade anything past +5, +6 at the absolute most, and keep your level low. Now invade people and remember that your one-shot nuke works best when people are distracted.

You can do this at higher levels too but it's more effective when people have low HP and absorption values.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

EvilMike posted:

Get to smouldering lake as soon as possible and kill the boss, get chaos bed vestiges, and don't level past SL 40 or so. Respec so you have as much as possible in int and faith, and around 19 attunement. Dump everything else. Seriously, put it all into your magic stats, you need them as high as they can possibly go. Kill gundyr and get the prisoners chain so you can at least have some HP. Also wear the witches ring and great swamp ring at all times. The last ring is your flex slot. Throw on the fire clutch ring if you're feeling spicy but that will make you even more of a glass cannon.

In your offhand, hold the saint-tree bellvine so you get the casting speed buff (yes, it affects the pyromancies you cast with your other hand). Otherwise wear a sage ring, but that's not as good. You might also want to carry an actual weapon to swap to sometimes.

Make sure not to upgrade anything past +5, +6 at the absolute most, and keep your level low. Now invade people and remember that your one-shot nuke works best when people are distracted.

You can do this at higher levels too but it's more effective when people have low HP and absorption values.

Whoa this sounds like a great idea for starting a new character. Although, defeating champion gundyr at SL40 sounds...intimidating. The few wins I've had have been at SL65 using a similar strategy, waiting until I invaded someone already distracted in a fight and spamming CBV to win.

Maybe I'll try to modify your advice for where I'm at now--get the prisoner's ring, respec for pvp, and try invading where folks will be otherwise distracted.

Do you have any weapon recommendations that pair with pyro builds? I've heard witches locks? Is it worth dipping into the dlc for parting flame?

Thanks for the write up!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Something I've tried in Pyro PvP was unlocked Chaos Fireballs on the ground. You try to predict where they are rolling, and already plant a fireball there. If they don't get directly hit, at least the lava should get them.

You gotta learn how the camera position influences the throwing arc, of course.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Witches Locks are handy in PvP for shutting down parry spam, and a Chaos Dagger is excellent for performing your own counters. As for weapons just Dark/Chaos infuse anything you're comfortable with and meet the requirements for. Crow Quills are strong if you care to rush Ariandel for them.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Do you have any weapon recommendations that pair with pyro builds? I've heard witches locks? Is it worth dipping into the dlc for parting flame?

Thanks for the write up!

My favourite pyromancer weapon is the demon scar since you can cast spells with its r2. But killing the demon princes at a low level is going to be hard, unlike some bosses you can't just melt them with CBV.

Onyx blade is a fun one although it will require you to spend points in dex and str so I don't recommend it for a low level glass cannon. You can get it really early in the game, if you know the route, especially if you cast hidden body. The NPC fight can be a bit hard at that stage but you can push him off a cliff if nothing else works. It's the longest greatsword in the game and has a cool weapon art, and scales well with your pyro stats.

Other than those two, you could just pick your favourite weapon and slap a dark infusion on it.

As for the parting flame is pretty niche but it's good if you like casting black flame. But imo the demon scar has better combos with that spell.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Hi, I have way too many builds and have recommendations for invading as a pyromancer at (relatively) low level, and not relying on Chaos Bed Vestiges.

CBVs are certainly powerful af, but personally as a pyro invader I don't like them because 1) takes up 2 spell slots, 2) the FP cost is on the high end so in an invasion that gets drawn out (as many often do), you can easily end up with no blue Estus left if you rely on spamming it, 3) if people are used to PvP at all most people know how to time roll CBVs so long as they are paying attention to you, so you are going to either need to time your casts really well or rely on the distraction/chaos of drawing in PVE mobs. And I guess 4) CBV is pretty overused, and I have a grudge against them from how often I die to some overleveled password phantom that can spam them endlessly

SL40 CBV certainly sounds fun, but as an invader glass cannons only get you so far. Absolutely props to you if you can make it work, but otherwise I'd say that for nearly all invader builds, you want as much VIG you can squeeze in + the Prisoner's Chain (Champion Gundyr is actually not as hard as you might think, at any level, since he can be parried on most of his attacks. It just takes some dedication to throw yourself at him to repeatedly to learn the timings, but once you get it down the real challenges are low level Dancer and the unpredictable Oceiros on the way)

• You can use Pyromancer's Parting Flame without meeting the STR requirement - you just have to deal with getting the 'do-not-meet-the-requirements' message when equipping and being careful not to hit the WA, which doesn't work without the STR and puts you into an unescapable gesture (although this gesture is fun as hell to use if you win, you rarely see it). If this is too annoying then just use the regular Pyro Flame. But Parting Flame can be more damaging overall for some pyros because it creates a secondary hitbox of fire that can hit your opponent, especially for close range stuff like:
  • Black Flame - Let them get up close, wreck them. Cast twice real fast and if they were trying to spam attack instead of roll away you can wreck them twice, against low-HP/VIG opponents this can easily 2-shot. A single R1 from most weapons and then a cast of Black Flame combos so long as you have max cast speed (I recommend Sage Ring+2). Black Flame also will almost immediately guard break most shields, so turtles are no problem.
  • Black Serpent - great for doing damage, applying pressure, roll catching, spamming annoyingly and then casting other pyros, or baiting rolls and making people panic. Switching lock on when fighting multiple people is great with this too, can make a cast that can already move pretty unpredictably really get people when they aren't expecting it
  • Last slot is optional to what you prefer, but I really like Flame Fan - it casts kinda slow comparatively, but people never expect this one so if you space/time it right you can really get people. It causes instability damage on the hit, and turn and burns with this are hilarious when you catch a few people in it at once

Other options are:
  • Fire Surge - a classic alternative option, useful for annoying pressure, chip damage, or getting really low health roll-spammers/popped Tears.
  • Floating Chaos - if you have time/space to cast this, especially repeatedly, people will hate you. Easy to dodge though
  • Black Fire Orb - slower to cast, slow projectile, easy to dodge. Not that great in those respects, but can do good damage and if people aren't looking it can do work. Despite the drawbacks, it can be a CBV alternative that only takes 1 slot and takes less FP
  • Toxic Mist - there is a theme of annoyance with pyromancies. This is nice to have if your opponents are turtling in a small area or around a corner. If they don't know to have blooming moss at this level too, then welp, watch them panic
  • Bursting Fireball - not great unless you can somehow hit your opponent with most of it. Fun to spam though, or if people are close together
  • Sacred Flame/Boulder Heave/Profaned Flame/Seething Chaos - go for it if you like them, but these are mostly situational, or for the meme if you can land them. It is very funny in chaotic situations when people have never seen Seething before and don't know how it works

• Weapon-wise, as a pyro you can infuse Chaos or Dark. Dark is probably smarter versus most people's resistances, but I like to do Chaos to keep with the theme
  • Since you put a limited amount of points into STR/DEX, weapon options can be limited. This doesn't mean your Pyro caster can't also be a sword and board as needed or use good weapons for PvP - in fact it's ideal to be able to play as both a melee fighter and pyro caster simultaneously
  • In addition to the Falchion, the above build can also use the Mace, Warpick, Long Sword, Broadsword, Battle Axe, Saint Bident, Hand Axe, and Rotten Ghru Spear effectively, and the Bastard Sword, Claymore, and Glaive if you 2-hand them. Of all of these I'd say the Mace is the strongest thing you can use in PvP when 2-handed, then the Falchion and Long Sword the next best 1-handed options.
  • Note: you could also make this build work for ~SL60 +6 by taking the DEX down to 10 and using just the Long Sword or the Mace, and taking INT/FTH to 25 each. I don't recommend any lower than this for a pyro caster though

If you want to use the Demon's Scar, I recommend going up to at least SL80+8 since you do need to hit 16 DEX to use it. Doing an offhand Saint Tree-Bellvine with the Demon's Scar is a popular option for cast speed, and gives you the ring slot back, but I still prefer the Sage Ring and the option to have something else in the offhand. Here's my SL90 Pyro build that uses the Demon's Scar - people really fall for the fire WA on the small Dragonhead Shield frequently, especially when cast twice. Also, casting CBV with this right after hitting someone with Black Serpent is a fun pseudo-combo - if they are panic rolling away from the Black Serpent, you can often hit them with the CBV. Part of the drawback of the Demon's Scar as a melee weapon though is that it is pure Fire damage - compared to other Chaos-infused curved swords, its damage output is lacking. You should certainly use it often as a fast melee sword, but unlike the previous build you can't as easily turn to relying on melee to do most of your damage output if needed.

I won't lie though, as a pyro casting invader 2v1s are fine, but 3v1s I find far harder to manage than other builds at these levels. You have to balance any melee skills you have with being able to swap to the right cast for the right moment. Same as a battle mage really, which is also a difficult invader. Its a fun challenge though. I recommend keeping your most valuable cast in your first slot so you can switch back to it quickly as needed by holding up on the D-pad (same way you can get to your Estus flask faster by holding down). For me that is usually Black Flame.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I'm also noticing a weird pattern after pontiff where I'll invade and there will be like three guys running around together and they gang up on me and it's totally one sided. I don't think they're running through the game together, often enemies are unactivated as if the guys are just hanging out and waiting for invasions. What do?

E:I broke sequence and got the sunlight straight sword cuz I heard it pairs nice with faith, but really enjoy the stun lock of the dark hand. I just have to get real close, which can be hard with any player with a sword, nevermind a spear or GS.

That's not exactly a weird pattern so much as a normal invasion experience in DS3. After pontiff is also the biggest PvP hotspot in the game, in normal-ish progression most people are like SL55-65 and about +6 there. There are definitely gank groups that get to that level just hang out there to do PvP fights. These are tough, as they are people that clearly play some PvP, the Host has embered HP, they all probably have SL/weapon level advantages on you, and they have the numbers. Try to wait for a co-invader, the rules are a bit different for matchmaking there so you should at least get an Aldrich invader. Then just good luck, try to use it as an experience learning how to fight against groups and not friendly-firing your co-invader.

If the group that gangs up on you is also comprised of other red/purple/Aldrich invaders, then you might have started attacking a fight club trying to set up 1v1s, in which case it is entirely possible to have everyone turn against you.

I don't recommend the Sunlight SS in PvP - at this level as a Pyro you will probably get much better AR results from a Dark or Chaos infused Long Sword, even comparing that split damage versus the Sunlight with the weapon art buff applied (which is nerfed a bit in PvP, iirc). Honestly you are out of the lower ranges where Dark Hand spam is optimal/deadly, but it certainly can still work against players that haven't encountered it before. Try a +6 Dark infused Long Sword instead, just watch out for people with offhand parry tools/shields equipped - a 3rd R1 from a Straight Sword on a decent connection is easily parried.

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 11, 2021

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So NG+ has been going pretty smoothly. I still beat some bosses with phantoms (Deacons, Pontiff, Champion Gundyr), but did some solo this time (Ocierios, Dancer). I'm doing the Dark ending this time around, so I was able to talk to Yuria, and get the last tome to get all the miracles. I also got all the expressions, though in joining Rosaria's Fingers to do so, I realized that I missed out on Creighton's gear yet again.

I've going to install the Honest Merchant mod to get the covenant items needed to get the rings and spells, partially because I don't want to grind skeletons in the Catacombs, Ghru in Farron Swamp, and preachers in Irithyll for hours for 30 drops of each. Plus, I'm not that good at PVP.

First though, I want to get all the rings NG++ rings, and seeing how easy it's been in NG+, I don't think that NG+2 will be...

Wait...

quote:

Covetous Gold Serpent Ring +2 Version (NG++): Archdragon Peak, in a large area that appears on defeating the Nameless King, on the right side of the arena from the gateway that the bonfire is under, the ring rests at the top of the second stairway. You can also find the Dragonslayer Set and a Titanite Slab in this area.

You have to beat the Nameless King on NG+2.

Oh...

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So what's the meta these days for super Tryhard builds?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

HaB posted:

So what's the meta these days for super Tryhard builds?

PS5+Demon's Souls

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

2020 is finally over! Don’t give up skeleton!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

axolotl farmer posted:

2020 is finally over! Don’t give up skeleton!

I was hoping I could get 100% completion before the year was out, but it looks like that's not going to happen. I'm pretty close, though. 8 more NG+2 rings, and then I'll download Honest Merchant to unlock the covenant items. After that, all I have left to do is beat the Lord of Cinder one last time and get the last ending.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I beat Nameless King on NG+2 solo and got the Gold Serpent Ring +2, so the getting the rest of the NG+2 rings should (hopefully) be smooth sailing.

I died about eight times to Nameless King trying to do, and a few of those deaths were to the King of the Storm. I know it's been said before, but the worse part about the first phase of that battle is how bad the camera is on focusing on the boss, even if you don't lock-on. It makes it hard to see what attack is being executed, and when to dodge.

Initially, my strategy was to try and replicate what the summon did in my first attempt (where they basically cheesed the boss with dark magic). I tried using Affinity with the Murky Staff, but I couldn't get anything to land, and the one or two spells that did land did little damage. In retrospect, I think I should have used dark pyromancies instead, since Nameless King is weak to fire and dark damage. Hell, I actually was lined up to use dark pyromancies, but I thought the dark sorcereries would be better, since you could boost them with the Murky Staff.

I started out with the Refined Claymore +10, with the intent to use Dark Resin to buff it, but you really don't have that a great window to buff a weapon during the fight (verus using Estus, which I think is faster). I ended up the Hollowslayer Greatsword, as it has a higher damage output, and which is what I've been primarily using since the end of NG. What frustrates me is that you can't buff boss weapons. Maybe if you use something that's infused with Dark/Fire, or a special weapon that has it innately, you'd get better results. However, it seems like it would also suffer from split damage. What I ended up doing was putting on the Hunter's Ring to boost my DEX up to 45, which gave me a damage boost.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The thing to remember is that split damage isn't necessarily a bad thing. It will obviously backfire vs a resistant foe, but a vulnerable foe will take significantly more damage. Try a Dark weapon vs Dancer, she will melt.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Hey is there a good way to quickly make(cheat) items into the pc game that wont get me flagged or banned? 2 of my friends who are souls virgins picked it up during the steam sale cause I've been singing the praises of the series forever and I don't have the time to grind up a character to catch up to them, also I want to be able to give them humanities(or whatever it is in 3 been a couple of years since I played) since they are getting their asses kicked by reds.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Paracelsus posted:

Laurence took me like 3-4 tries. The second form got me, but once I knew it was there it wasn't hard to figure out how to hit him. Maybe it's a matter of which way you feel inclined to drift or dodge around a boss by default?

Harrow posted:

Bloodborne is an incredibly good game but its frame rate and frame pacing issues are definitely noticeable.

I think you can tell that From had a lot of trouble developing Bloodborne for the PS4, and yeah it has some horrible optimization issues because of that. It was even worse at release, when loading times could be 30 seconds to a minute or more. I always suspected that Bloodborne being the only game that doesn't permit refreshing a level by sitting at the bonfire/lamp/etc. is related to this, too. There's also that famous door the Cleric Beast guards that was meant to be a shortcut up to the Cathedral Ward, which was disabled for some reason, and one of the suggested reasons for that was related to loading issues between the two zones.

Max Wilco posted:

I died about eight times to Nameless King trying to do, and a few of those deaths were to the King of the Storm. I know it's been said before, but the worse part about the first phase of that battle is how bad the camera is on focusing on the boss, even if you don't lock-on. It makes it hard to see what attack is being executed, and when to dodge.

What throws me in that fight is it feels way harder to gauge your distance in that arena. It's worst in the first phase, but it's something I can't remember having trouble with in any other fight besides maybe the similar void you fight the Four Kings in. It goes to show you how important the terrain itself can be to Soulsborne fights, I guess.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

What throws me in that fight is it feels way harder to gauge your distance in that arena. It's worst in the first phase, but it's something I can't remember having trouble with in any other fight besides maybe the similar void you fight the Four Kings in. It goes to show you how important the terrain itself can be to Soulsborne fights, I guess.

Four Kings is another frustrating fight, though in addition with the lack of depth perception, the Four Kings is (from what I've read) a fight that becomes incredibly difficult in NG+, and effectively becomes a DPS race.

Macksy posted:

Hey is there a good way to quickly make(cheat) items into the pc game that wont get me flagged or banned? 2 of my friends who are souls virgins picked it up during the steam sale cause I've been singing the praises of the series forever and I don't have the time to grind up a character to catch up to them, also I want to be able to give them humanities(or whatever it is in 3 been a couple of years since I played) since they are getting their asses kicked by reds.
Honest Merchant is a mod that was recommended when I was asking about earning covenant items to get items locked behind them. I installed it tonight, and while I couldn't get the covenant items directly, I was able to purchase the last couple of spells and rings I needed for the achievements. Based on what I read, there's nothing in the mod that flags you as cheating, though if you're worried, you can always install it, grab what you need and uninstall the mod just to be safe.

-

Speaking of achievements, I'm finally done.

I upgraded the Onyx Blade, which was helpful against Dancer. With Oceiros, I upgraded the Dragonslayer's Axe (which, despite having innate Lightning damage, can also be buffed) and took him out pretty quickly. The fight against Champion Gundyr though was frustrating this time around. I tried fighting him solo, but during his second half, he just pursues you relentlessly, and you have barely enough time to heal. Lothric & Lorian I went online and got co-op help for. Once that was all taken care of, I did a bit of grinding in Anor Londo, and popped a bunch of souls items to get enough to remove the Dark Sign (something like 1,410,000).

I installed the Honest Merchant mod, and got the last couple of spells and rings I need. You can say that I cheated, but I'd have to invade & defeat around 50 people (10 for Rosaria, 10 for Aldrich, and 30 for Mound Makers), or grind skeletons, deacons, and Darkwraiths until they dropped enough. I'm not good enough at PVP, and it doesn't help that matchmaking is slow. I could have grinded (which might be the only option if/when the servers go offline), but the drop rates for covenant items are so low that you have to kill the same group of mobs like 100 times just to get 1 or 2 drops. There's challenge, and there's driving yourself insane with tedium.

I went to fight the Soul of Cinder, and I had a much harder time with him than I did the last two times. I lost track of how many times I died. Thankfully, he's weak to Dark, so I was able to use the Onyx Blade again, and with the Black Iron Armor and Shield, I was able to take him down. The worst attack in that fight is that big combo he does in the second phase, since if you get hit during it, you can't escape from it (though it does have that big windup). I think part of my difficulty in NG+2 was that I was starting to get impatient, or maybe the stress was starting to get to me.

Regardless, after 107 hours, I got all the achievements for Dark Souls 3! Ironically, that makes it the third Soulsborne game I've 100% (the others being Demon's Souls Classic and Bloodborne). All that leaves is Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2 (and I guess Sekiro, though I don't own that yet). DS1 is what I planned to do next, but first, I'm going to take a break from Souls for a while i, so I don't drive myself insane (a Soul-batical, if you will). Dark Souls 2 I'm not real interested in getting 100% completion, but that could always change.

Thanks to everyone in the thread for their help and for reading my long, rambling posts.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 2, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Haven't played in nearly 2 weeks with christmas and all. Cant decide on what to play with all the games I've bought on the recent sale. Decide its time to go beat Midir again once and for all to clue up this run. Calmly get him down to about 30% health with 7 or 8 flasks left. Make the mistake of getting too far and he starts whipping his darksaber flame around, I'm maybe 5% below full health, it doesn't look anywhere close to me but hits me and of course its a one shot, I didn't even raise my shield. Holy jesus

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It was an unexpected move to make the series' final superboss Godzilla, but I respect it

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

codo27 posted:

Haven't played in nearly 2 weeks with christmas and all. Cant decide on what to play with all the games I've bought on the recent sale. Decide its time to go beat Midir again once and for all to clue up this run. Calmly get him down to about 30% health with 7 or 8 flasks left. Make the mistake of getting too far and he starts whipping his darksaber flame around, I'm maybe 5% below full health, it doesn't look anywhere close to me but hits me and of course its a one shot, I didn't even raise my shield. Holy jesus

That laser is almost always a one-hit kill, I believe.

As you said, if you get too far from him, he does that laser attack, so you just have to stick close to him. If he does do it, there's a pocket to the left of where the beam starts that's safe to be in, and will let you get close to his head once he finishes the attack.

A video guide on fighting Midir I found very helpful, and highlights where to be during the laser attack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLsUbOfrz0w

Something worth noting is that Midir is classified as a Abyssal enemy, so if you have the Wolf Knight Sword or Farron Sword, you get a 20% damage bonus against him. He's also weak to Lightning/Thrust damage, so you could use the Dragonslayer Spear or Dragonslayer Swordspear, since those both have innate Lightning damage (of course, getting either of those requires beating the Nameless King).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got the DSGA maxed out but it's too slow. I've been using the black Knight sword but I wanted to try and eke out more damage with a 5 swing per bar weapon. Tried a couple different ones but settled on the BK glaive for its extra range and vertical swing which I thought would help but the range doesn't seem right. gently caress it anyway I got beer to drink