Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

After Than'jit, I really thought the last boss of Eden was going to be some twisted version of Minfilia. Would have made a lot of sense thematically for the setting, having The Warrior of Darkness finish up taking down a twisted version of The Oracle of Light; what with these bosses being broken mirror reflections of already existing entities, and Than'jit being a manifestation of Ryne's own fears and doubts. All in all, I'd say these last four bosses didn't feel nearly as inspired to me as the previous set, save for Than'jit.

Also, couldn't help but let out a disappointing groan when it was revealed that yet again "Ascians did it"

We knew ascians did it from...before the start of the raid series! This whole deal was about the flood of light and what you could do to reverse it. We knew from like 3.4 when the WoDs talked about how killing the Ascians started it all.

Also you already fought an evil twisted version of the Oracle of light in E8 down to the whole Summoning a mini Momma Crystal to start up another flood of light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
No, it's not surprising at all. And that's my problem. Gaia is an Ascian. Her fairy-demon-voice in her head was an Ascian who also just so happens to be Eden itself and... ugh. At this point I'm almost as fed up with seeing them as I am the Empire.

And E8 felt like it was a hint of a bigger fight to come. And THAT fight still feels like the larger emotional/thematical core for me than the actual finale to me. Which is, again, kind of my problem with it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I too am tired of the main antagonists being in antagonistic roles

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

mitron is at least somewhat interesting because he's given up on the rejoining and just wants to assimilate his ex and be left alone

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Such impudence...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You weren't really going to escape the Ascians in a quest line about the first Sin Eater because... they were responsible for the flood and thus had to be involved. In retrospect it also makes 100% perfect sense.

Eden is clearly a Sin Eater of incredible strength who has the ability to create primals. "It was born from an Ascian" follows perfectly from that knowing what we do of the Ascians post-ShB. They could have introduced a new villain but it would have been mildly pointless when the entire point of the Eden questline is that it's dealing with the consequences from the Ascian's plot.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The Eden reveal is basically perfect because nobody saw it coming even though it was completely logical given what we know.

Sin eaters used to be people; Eden was the first sin eater to appear during the Flood of Light; the Flood of Light started when Ardbert killed Mitron and Loghrif; therefore Eden used to be either Mitron or Loghrif. It even explains why Eden is so big.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I get the fatigue of being sick of Ascians tbh, since we've had a year and a half of them centerstage in the MSQ story. Even if logically Eden being an Ascian is probably the only way to write it and maintain consistency in the setting, it still is taking one of the ongoing storylines that, up until 5.4, was free of Ascians, and making it about them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

The Eden reveal is basically perfect because nobody saw it coming even though it was completely logical given what we know.

Sin eaters used to be people; Eden was the first sin eater to appear during the Flood of Light; the Flood of Light started when Ardbert killed Mitron and Loghrif; therefore Eden used to be either Mitron or Loghrif. It even explains why Eden is so big.

Yeah I was genuinely impressed with the reveal precisely because it made so much sense despite seemingly nobody managing to call it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I don't understand being disappointed with the reveal being again Ascian related because A) We knew that going in and B) The entire expac, especially the stuff on and about the history of the Floor and the first, has always 100% been billed as The Big Reveal and Final Hurrah of the Ascians. The first was screwed up by their gently caress up, which was directly tied to and cause by what made Eden in the first place, which ties into Ardbert's fight and Cyella and all that. The whole point of Shadowbringers is to talk about the ascians and their true plans and histories and where they hosed up and how they were wrong and the problems beyond their understanding they caused. It's like getting into 3.X and complaining about it all being about Ishgard's politics and the dragonsong war still.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Mitron's already better than most of the Ascians just because he has a clear motivation, dies fast, and the writers know he's a fuckwad you'll hate so he's got a lot of clarity in his presence.

Lahabrea and Elidibus could only wish to be that efficient.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 20, 2020

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I really can't help it if people choose to interpret "I'm bored of this/didn't like it as much as X" as "I don't get it/understand why this happened"

I've said it before that I'm not looking forward to the next expansion seeing as the central focus will be Zenos, the Empire and banana-rama Lahabrea knock-off. I know why they're doing it. I'm most likely still going to play it. I just can't really be arsed to *care* about Zenos, the Empire, or bargain bin Ascians anymore.

All in all I've felt a bit underwhelmed with this patch's content. But I'm also not expecting every plot point or story to be genius and make me cry or feel a feeling. They can't all be gold, and that's okay.

Sherry Bahm fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 21, 2020

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Re: Acsians being/not being/sort of being tempered: Either Zodiark just wants to die now, or Fandaniel has figured out how to slip the leash.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It's possible that Fandaniel, being a sundered soul, isn't tempered like the unsundered are.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Unless tempering persists through death, which it likely doesn't, only the 3 unsundered would have been tempered. Everyone else has been reborn in new bodies, with brand new memories, and just had some collection of their Ancient's memories pass on to them after the fact.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 21, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, and judging from what he said in 5.3, it seems like at least this Damndaniel was more into the whole Ascian thing for the power.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If sundered were tempered then Gaia would be too

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Frankly I really liked the Eden reveal because it was a continuation of the motif here of Ascians becoming more personal in their motivations rather than being just Big Evil Folks

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

The blasphemer, uncontrite, must be punished mightily.

Itzena posted:

Re: Acsians being/not being/sort of being tempered: Either Zodiark just wants to die now, or Fandaniel has figured out how to slip the leash.

A thought that occurred to me doing NG+ is that “tempered by Zodiark” might manifest as “required to obey the orders of Elidibus.” Certainty Elidibus took it for granted that his correction would have forced a change on Emet-Selch.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Dedekind posted:

A thought that occurred to me doing NG+ is that “tempered by Zodiark” might manifest as “required to obey the orders of Elidibus.” Certainty Elidibus took it for granted that his correction would have forced a change on Emet-Selch.

Elidibus took a lot of stuff for granted.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

that's the wrong thread

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Maybe if they take you for a trip to the moon, and you stay there long enough, you get tempered all over again? Even a trapped piece of Zodiark's gotta be pretty drat impressive!

And hey, given that Elidibus was essentially a part of Zodiark out on walkabout, all that chilling on the moon might've been a sort of recharge?

At any rate, we got some moon in our futures.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Lol what if there's a part in 6.0 MSQ where you go to the moon and meet Zodiark face to face and it turns out that the echo only protects you from being tempered by normie primals and zodiark gets your rear end for a good stretch of the story

Just a stretch of the MSQ where we get to be kain/golbez for a while

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Chillgamesh posted:

Lol what if there's a part in 6.0 MSQ where you go to the moon and meet Zodiark face to face and it turns out that the echo only protects you from being tempered by normie primals and zodiark gets your rear end for a good stretch of the story

Just a stretch of the MSQ where we get to be kain/golbez for a while

My assumption for 6.0 is that the first five zones will all be Garlemald, with the 5th zone being the capital city. Zenos and/or Fandaniel will be the trial boss at level 89 (like Innocence), then the final zone will be the Moon.

The 24-man trial will be the Lunatic Pandora.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Chillgamesh posted:

This is brought up earlier by Zenos. The Echo likely doesn't grant immunity to tempering, but lets you contest their will with your own.

The PC being tempered would still be dumb as hell.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It's firmly established that we tower above the gods. You by your gift, I by my might.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

WrightOfWay posted:

It's possible that Fandaniel, being a sundered soul, isn't tempered like the unsundered are.
I mean, I suppose it could go either way. If you're an immortal sorcerer of eld and you've just grabbed a random shard of your old pal and "restored" their memory, do you trust them to join you of their own free will, or do you schedule them for an induction course on the moon? The former means your faith in your cause is solid, and you assume that simply "waking them up" means of course they'd see it your way. The latter, that Zodiark's will must be enforced.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

My assumption for 6.0 is that the first five zones will all be Garlemald, with the 5th zone being the capital city. Zenos and/or Fandaniel will be the trial boss at level 89 (like Innocence), then the final zone will be the Moon.

The 24-man trial will be the Lunatic Pandora.

I would love if the endgame hub is just the moon. How the hell did you get up here, Rowena

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Waffleman_ posted:

I would love if the endgame hub is just the moon. How the hell did you get up here, Rowena

Lol. Just as the end-game hub for Shadowbringers isn’t in the Tempest, I’d assume the same if we go to the moon.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Turns out the endgame hub is the Hummingway Cave.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

They sent up a ship out of Azys Lla, or as it is more commonly known, the House of Splendors Aerospace Division

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Waffleman_ posted:

Someone told her there was a dropped nickel and she created the entire spaceflight program to grab it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah I was gonna say that as soon as Rowena catches wind that there is money to be made on the moon, then nothing will stop her from getting there.

This is because Rowena is a primal who manifested from the collective belief of Uldahns in the free market.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Please let us use either the Azys Lla flagship or Nyunkrepf's Hope as a spaceship.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

bewilderment posted:

Please let us use either the Azys Lla flagship or Nyunkrepf's Hope as a spaceship.

It's gonna be the Lunar Whale, wherever it might be.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vermain posted:

It's gonna be the Lunar Whale, wherever it might be.

Another expansion ends in us getting help from Bismarck.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Another expansion ends in us getting help from Bismarck.

:pusheen:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Ragnarok...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ4aa-q2GRg

(I would find the Big Whale acceptable as well)

Edit: what happened to the void ark, i literally remember none of the cutscenes in that series lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Ragnarok...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ4aa-q2GRg

(I would find the Big Whale acceptable as well)

Edit: what happened to the void ark, i literally remember none of the cutscenes in that series lol

The Void Ark got looted, but is still flying fine. It's flying so fine, in fact, that you can see it in the Sea of Clouds.