Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Icon Of Sin posted:

The sea truck is growing on me. I'm running 2 though, one for exploration (bed-storage-aquarium-dock/PRAWN, with depth module and afterburner), and another for base-building and storage (3x storage + fabricator). I've got 2 actual cabs, mostly so I can skip swapping one cab back and forth. They get too unwieldy after 4 cars, at least without the horsepower boost (which I've yet to find :v: ).

Anyone got a good place for base building? I'm camped out near the Delta lab docks for now, I was hunting for PRAWN suit parts in the wrecks and that area is loving loaded so I just settled there after my first mini-base near the escape pod :)

I prefer just heading to the far end of the twisty bridges from the pod.
I forget exactly, lets call it SE from the dock.
At the end you'll find an area to plant your thermal gens which i just stretch back with 1-2 power transmitters.
And there are planters to scan slightly NE of there.
Its a good area with lots of minerals just behind, and I always have a recipe up so the little bastards can bring me whatever I cant find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Zesty posted:

Base price of below zero being increased from 20 bucks to 30 bucks on January 5th.

Can be had for $10 us right now on Epic.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If 10 bucks saved is worth EGS being creeps with your data.

Steam sales happen often enough.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Have they changed the base move speed in any of the recent updates? The idea of replacing the Seamoth and Cyclops with a single modular vehicle is interesting, but piloting a Sea Truck with no modules and having to keep using the boost upgrade every few seconds to get roughly the same speed as the Seamoth felt like a bad design choice having played the first game. It would be better to either increase the base move speed to equal the Seamoth inherently, or replace the activated boost upgrade with an upgrade that brings the base move speed to Seamoth levels. When I played a few updates ago it still felt sluggish and there didn't seem to be any good reason for it.

I don't think so, but it doesn't bother me. Haven't timed it, but it feels like there's maybe only ~90s of travel time on the open sea where where you're going full steam ahead (and spam the boost). As soon as I get the sleep/storage modules I never go out in just the cab, so being a bit slower feels "fair".

I actually never got the prawn in my first partial playthrough, nice having it back (and using the dock module to bring it along on adventures).

Icon Of Sin posted:

The sea truck is growing on me. I'm running 2 though, one for exploration (bed-storage-aquarium-dock/PRAWN, with depth module and afterburner), and another for base-building and storage (3x storage + fabricator). I've got 2 actual cabs, mostly so I can skip swapping one cab back and forth. They get too unwieldy after 4 cars, at least without the horsepower boost (which I've yet to find :v: ).

Anyone got a good place for base building? I'm camped out near the Delta lab docks for now, I was hunting for PRAWN suit parts in the wrecks and that area is loving loaded so I just settled there after my first mini-base near the escape pod :)

It hadn't really occurred to me to build two separate trains - I figured I'd just juggle the modules, but that's a great idea. I like the idea of maybe just having a storage module hanging out with all the titanium and other resources I need to throw up a base.

I am being very unimaginative and have my main base pretty much right next to the lifepod - I should probably move it somewhere else though. I have been very lead poor this run - I'm generally not even bothering to pick up gold, rubies, diamonds, and kyanite when my storage starts filling up on the truck, but lead is precious. You can sometimes find the lead deposits in the shallows where the lifepod is, but they're rather few and far between.

Meant to ask now that I've found it: is there much of a point to the nuclear reactor? Never really bothered with it in the first game, because I find the bioreactor does pretty well and is easy to keep stocked if you're near the creepyvines (or if you're even lazier, have a planter with a lantern fruit tree next to it).

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The point of the nuclear reactor is that it's all you need to power a large seabase, all on its own, without it ever suffering any power outages, even while running multiple water filtration plants, recharging a low-power prawn suit, multiple power cells from your cyclops, and multiple batteries, and running a scanner room, all at the same time, at the end of a lengthy expedition, when you get back to base.

Each rod provides a total of 20,000 units of power before being depleted, 2500 at a time, with its power recharging at multiple units per second, rather than the much slower charge rate of a bioreactor, which can't stack for the charge rate purposes, so even if you run multiple bioreactors that might theoretically have plenty of power stored in them, the primary one will run out and the recharge rate won't be able to keep up fast enough, leading to blackouts. All that for just one titanium, one lead, one glass, and 3 uraninininininite crystals.

They're incredibly efficient, but if you run tiny seabases and barely use any vehicles, or don't mind waiting a long time before expeditions, bioreactors are good too. One additional advantage is that nuclear reactors require far less micromanaging, since, if you build even just 2 rods, it can run for hours and hours without needing any attention, rather than the more frequent refilling on bioreactors (even if, as has been pointed out, you can just grab some lantern tree fruit to stuff in there without much trouble).

There's a place for them, and that place is largely 'I'm focused on other stuff, I don't need the hassle' for large independent seabases far away from thermal power or the sun.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

The point of the nuclear reactor is that it's all you need to power a large seabase, all on its own, without it ever suffering any power outages, even while running multiple water filtration plants, recharging a low-power prawn suit, multiple power cells from your cyclops, and multiple batteries, and running a scanner room, all at the same time, at the end of a lengthy expedition, when you get back to base.

Each rod provides a total of 20,000 units of power before being depleted, 2500 at a time, with its power recharging at multiple units per second, rather than the much slower charge rate of a bioreactor, which can't stack for the charge rate purposes, so even if you run multiple bioreactors that might theoretically have plenty of power stored in them, the primary one will run out and the recharge rate won't be able to keep up fast enough, leading to blackouts. All that for just one titanium, one lead, one glass, and 3 uraninininininite crystals.

They're incredibly efficient, but if you run tiny seabases and barely use any vehicles, or don't mind waiting a long time before expeditions, bioreactors are good too. One additional advantage is that nuclear reactors require far less micromanaging, since, if you build even just 2 rods, it can run for hours and hours without needing any attention, rather than the more frequent refilling on bioreactors (even if, as has been pointed out, you can just grab some lantern tree fruit to stuff in there without much trouble).

There's a place for them, and that place is largely 'I'm focused on other stuff, I don't need the hassle' for large independent seabases far away from thermal power or the sun.

They also make INCREDIBLE backup power for a base that has another primary power source that occasionally gets strained by extraordinary circumstances as mentioned above.
Since if you run the power source order mod (the one mod I would say was actually essential as a fix), the nuclear reactor is in last place of priority, so your base can draw on solar power, thermal power, and bioreactor power first, with nuclear power only being tapped into when you run out of the the others due to the power load. Which the bioreactor also serves as a good backup for other power sources the same way, though it isn't, again, as fast, or able to draw on as much.

Seriously, the power sources order mod is so good, and I can't do without it, ever since I had my bases' power order completely re-ordered when I loaded a saved game, no matter how carefully I built various power sources in order to solve that issue.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Crashed three times on the new PS4 patch so far. No "lost your poo poo" saves yet though.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

As a goon in the Steam thread mentioned, seems they are raising the price of Subnautica to $30 to match BZ because

quote:

Also, regarding the price increase for Subnautica, we are continuing to actively work on it. Patches are still coming - we've been working on a lot in conjunction with all of the Switch work, to improve and optimize the performance. We want to keep the quality of both games on par with each other, which is reflected in matching the prices. Once Below Zero is ready to launch/launched, we will also likely give an overarching update of what our plans for continued support on both games will be moving forward.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/848450/eventcomments/3001051217281856867?snr=1_2108_4__1601&ctp=3#c4149469212591714773

Sure its only going up $5, but its a game that was released 2 years ago, not including the years of EA before that.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That’s a weird thing to do. I guess they expect people to see others play Below Zero and then pick up the original.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's a shameless (and stupid) money grab, yea. I don't recall any of those vaunted BZ development hours getting back into fixing the buggy game I played post-release.

Someone in another thread mentioned that they where a UWE fan since the NS1 days but feel that UWE has the business acumen of a manatee, and I feel they're right; any other business would drop the price/do a free weekend of the older product to drum up interest for their new release. It's worked on me, I bought Witcher2 and a few other titles on sale like this and came back once I now enjoyed the IP.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I mean, they were very open since BZ was first released in its early access state that they were selling it at a discount compared to what the final retail price would be once it got out of early access.

They've been saying it since they first started selling it that it was, at that time, at a discount due to the early access state/as a thank you to their playerbase for helping them figure out bugs and whatnot for the full release, and that the price of the game once it was finished would be higher.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Just to be clear, this is about them raising the price of the original game, right? Them raising the price of BZ is totally natural and as it should be.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Ah, I'd missed the post saying it was the original being raised.

Okay, that's hosed, what the hell, guys?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Funny enough, I started having brownouts with my bio reactor right after reading this post :tinfoil: Built the nuke and it's thrumming along in the corner of my big room, and I'm sitting on a big reserve of power.

Built my first remote base about 3/4 of the way through the crystal caves, which makes a good waystation to catch my breath and make repairs in the safety of the moonpool if I'm being harassed by leviathans going to/from red crystals.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Yeah, one thing the subnautica basebuilding really lacks is a dedicated battery plant room that just adds a ton of power reserves to the base. Apparently it was in the works at one point but is/was cut content.

https://subnautica.fandom.com/wiki/Cut_Content#Accumulator

Personally, I'd like to see a 'cyclops remote power transfer' that works like the regular one but transfers power to/from your cyclops.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 19, 2020

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Oh I can’t wait to see the bugs on switch. They can barely get it working on the more powerful consoles.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I never understood why the power generation was like that in subnautica. It's not like the most intuitive, near-IRL way of how power plants work would have been hard to code. The behavior's just bizarre.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

TheParadigm posted:

Personally, I'd like to see a 'cyclops remote power transfer' that works like the regular one but transfers power to/from your cyclops.

Should be an external pole that docks to it like a zeppelin landing.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
There's a mod that does both these things, allowing you to build a cyclops docking port on your habitats.

It'll auto-guide you to dock when you get close enough (or you can turn on manual on it) and it'll recharge the batteries from the base's power supply (at any rate you like, from 1 to 100, if you still want to have a reason to build a power cell charger).

I just started a game with it for the first time a couple weeks ago, it's pretty good.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I think I'd like playing with mods on PC, but it'd choke my laptop to a halt so PS4 it is.

On a similar note, anyone try playing it on a PS5? I wonder if the brute force helps the pop-in

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

EimiYoshikawa posted:

There's a mod that does both these things, allowing you to build a cyclops docking port on your habitats.

It'll auto-guide you to dock when you get close enough (or you can turn on manual on it) and it'll recharge the batteries from the base's power supply (at any rate you like, from 1 to 100, if you still want to have a reason to build a power cell charger).

I just started a game with it for the first time a couple weeks ago, it's pretty good.

That's neat! And something lacking last I played - got a link?!

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

TheParadigm posted:

That's neat! And something lacking last I played - got a link?!

Here you go:

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/554

Here's that power order mod I mentioned, btw, since I'm here.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/547/

And finally, if there was one mod I would recommend on the sheer amount of immersion and RP fun it adds, it would have to be this one:

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/142

I only use 4 slots worth of upgrades anyway, because that it's the point...the real point of it, for me, is being able access your vehicle's storage and upgrades from inside of it. Namely, you can switch your prawn arms without having to get out of your prawn suit. Which was always a massive clunky inelegancy, and I handwave away as nanotech teleporting the arms out of storage (since you can also access your storage, you move them from the vehicle storage to your storage then 'plug them in' from inside the suit).

Being able to take care of all your resource-gathering or exploring needs without getting out of your prawn suit between leaving your seabase/your cyclops and returning to it again, switching between a regular claw arm and a drill arm, while grappling around with your other...it's hard to put into words how much more fun that is than needing to get out of your suit and back inside it 5 times per trip.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ryley for Smash

In the Prawn suit, Final Smash throws opponents into the Dead Zone.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Ok, curious if this is a bug or a gameplay mechanic I didn't pick up on:

Parked my Sea Truck over near where all the jellyfish were to go explore above ground. I finally noticed that the jellies were causing some kind of passive damage to my seatruck (I think I'd written it off before as "crashed into a wall"). There doesn't seem to be a particularly obvious audio or visual cue, which is annoying.

It's been my experience that creatures don't attack your vehicle if you leave it unattended, so I thought it'd be fine if I detached the cab and used that to navigate the tighter passages (so I could skip some of the land traversal).

When I came back sometime later, my first module (storage) was gone. Did the jellyfish kill it while I was away, or did it just glitch out?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Those jellyfish will wreck the seatruck just from being around, yeah. If you knife the ones near it to death that’ll solve it.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Bussamove posted:

Those jellyfish will wreck the seatruck just from being around, yeah. If you knife the ones near it to death that’ll solve it.

I prefer to pick them up with the propulsion cannon and yeet them out of the ocean onto ice.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I would do that with the crabs in the first one after they bit me, YEET straight into reaper territory.

Why yes I died a few times to those little fuckers nipping me at the Aurora, why do you ask?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Warrior Princess posted:

I prefer to pick them up with the propulsion cannon and yeet them out of the ocean onto ice.

This is one of the few things I haven't gathered all the fragments for - if it works on snow stalkers I reckon it'd be fairly OP for the land portions.

After a couple of lead mining excursions near my base (realised with the mineral locater how the game seems to love generating them in shadowy areas where they're even less visible) I headed out for the Lilypads, which seem to be pretty good for fragments. Did find the last Aquarium module I needed but no prop cannon.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Got this back when it was free at the EGS, and I'm having an issue where the game inverts my controller's triggers. I googled a bit and it seems to be a known issue but I'm not finding any solutions. Someone mentioned launching the game through Steam and fiddling with the controller settings, but nothing.

I can remap the controllers in-game, but it fucks with the on-screen prompts and it's kind of annoying (and I'm gonna be couching this, so no M+K for me).

Any ideas?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I spent all my mats to upgrade my first boat to go deeper and the loving crabsquid things destroyed it in 2 seconds.

10/10.

I played this game some months back for about 15 minutes then slept on it for however long. I dove (heh) back into it in the last week or two now and I can't stop playing it. Love the exploration and the fact that there's no map so I just get lost looking for dumb poo poo.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 22, 2020

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Edmond Dantes posted:

Got this back when it was free at the EGS, and I'm having an issue where the game inverts my controller's triggers. I googled a bit and it seems to be a known issue but I'm not finding any solutions. Someone mentioned launching the game through Steam and fiddling with the controller settings, but nothing.

I can remap the controllers in-game, but it fucks with the on-screen prompts and it's kind of annoying (and I'm gonna be couching this, so no M+K for me).

Any ideas?

Yeah, I ran into this as well. It would prompt me to pull right trigger to drop something, for example, but I needed to pull the left trigger to actually drop it.

I ended up using the controller-config menu via Steam Overlay to bind the output of pulling the right trigger to be "left trigger" and vice versa. :shrug:

Now at least I can pull right trigger when it prompts for right trigger, even if the game really thinks I'm pulling left trigger. :cripes:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 22, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Was kinda fun watching a person new to Subnautica do an LP and see all the cool stuff.

Also kind of disheartening to watch their frustration in having to reload constantly because their Prawn kept getting stuck in the alien base.
And also losing both a Prawn suit and a Seamoth on the geometry.
Can't believe they are raising their price on it even though that game breaking poo poo still persists.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Suburban Dad posted:

I spent all my mats to upgrade my first boat to go deeper and the loving crabsquid things destroyed it in 2 seconds.

10/10.

I played this game some months back for about 15 minutes then slept on it for however long. I dove (heh) back into it in the last week or two now and I can't stop playing it. Love the exploration and the fact that there's no map so I just get lost looking for dumb poo poo.

You need the eletroshock ability upgrade for the seamoth for it to survive any encounter with any hostile creatures. Otherwise they'll just grab it and that's the end of it. As for that rear end in a top hat you can murder the it with a stasis gun and a knife.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

OgNar posted:

Was kinda fun watching a person new to Subnautica do an LP and see all the cool stuff.

Also kind of disheartening to watch their frustration in having to reload constantly because their Prawn kept getting stuck in the alien base.
And also losing both a Prawn suit and a Seamoth on the geometry.
Can't believe they are raising their price on it even though that game breaking poo poo still persists.

Yeah, it is rather irksome. Having to use the grappling arm to haul your Prawn around the endgame area because you're up to its waist in the floor is a rather poor note to end on.

SugarAddict posted:

You need the eletroshock ability upgrade for the seamoth for it to survive any encounter with any hostile creatures. Otherwise they'll just grab it and that's the end of it. As for that rear end in a top hat you can murder the it with a stasis gun and a knife.

Yeah, it is a very useful thing to have. In BZ you can generally outrun most of your problems if you've got that + the boost module.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It's a shame, especially since it seems like the last zone is a lot less frustrating once you ditch the cyclops, and just use the prawn to travel around in.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

10/10.

Light makes those things angry, turn it off and they'll leave you alone

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SugarAddict posted:

Heads up about this, don't bother shocking a reaper BEFORE they bite you (at least in the base game). They often just power through it to follow their "It is time to bite them" routine, just like a slug flying directly into a prawn drill in a spray of blood following it's directive to latch onto your cockpit glass.

Wait to zap them as SOON as they bite you, and you will take next to no damage instead of awkwardly being chewed on while waiting for shock to cooldown. Like night and day.

Also, unless they patched this since I last played. The repulsion gun also works on reapers. Only a tiny bit, and you get pushed back too. But if you didn't have the stasis gun it can be what makes the difference in shooing them away from your seamoth parked in a cave they want to eat. "No, bad reaper. Back inside the mountain geometry from whence you came."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 24, 2020

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Tamba posted:

Light makes those things angry, turn it off and they'll leave you alone

They'll leave you alone *to a point*. If you get up in their grill they'll still investigate, but they won't chase you down like they will if they see something bright.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Of all the weird poo poo in the first game, the crabsquids just felt the most wrong to me. Maybe they’re the most alien, in my head? Between their weird look, their creepy noise, and their ability to turn off the lights, I would just rather not go near their habitat ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

So far I've been playing without really doing anything combat related and running away when attacked basically. I built the stasis gun but have never fired it, and didn't do the upgrade to the propulsion one yet. Is there much point in trying to kill poo poo or is the goal really only to defend yourself enough to get away?

Inventory is too small so I'm freeing up space so I can hoard more poo poo during runs more so than avoiding it.