Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Lookit Wesley

Is that MU Barclay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
from my perspective, the non-mirror universe is evil

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That looks like the roster of a lovely Chinese star trek themed mortal combat knockoff. Probably a mobile game

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jihad Joe posted:

Is that MU Barclay?

Yep.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Azhais posted:

That looks like the roster of a lovely Chinese star trek themed mortal combat knockoff. Probably a mobile game

All I’m hearing now is the Mortal Kombat character select narrator going “PICARD.”

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Jihad Joe posted:

Is that MU Barclay?

I kinda wish MU Barclay was inexplicably half-spider like in "Genesis"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Protagorean posted:

here's the underpinning logic of the mirror universe: we gotta crap out about two dozen episodes for the network and don't have infinite money to do so. for an episode or two why don't we have the cast act coked up and show more skin, then just say there's a whole universe of evil twins

This is nonsense because all the consumes and set redressing costs way more than a standard bottle episode

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

The Bloop posted:

This is nonsense because all the consumes and set redressing costs way more than a standard bottle episode

the studio doesn't pay for the coke it's BYOD

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

apatheticman posted:

Congrats this thread put more thought into the backstory of the mirror universe than most of the writers rooms.

Mirror universe always falls apart for me when its like oh yes, completely different circumstances still brought the cast together on a slightly worse lit ship.

It's a lot worse than that - if your parents decided to wait an extra 5 minutes before banging it out a different sperm would have fertilized the egg and you would have been a completely different person. In a universe where things are vastly different, no one who exists now would exist.

It's why "a mirror copy of our universe is created when an incursion occurs" is the only way anything makes sense.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Isn’t pretty much every mirror episode a bottle
Episode too? 💸💸

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

It's why "a mirror copy of our universe is created when an incursion occurs" is the only way anything makes sense.

This has always been my rationalization. The Mirror Universe only exists when you interact with it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

Lookit Wesley

I do like that in the evil Mirror Universe they still apparently respect Data to not have pulled him apart to make copies, Geordi was able to make a successful career despite being blind, and Picard hasn't thrown emo-Wesley out of an airlock.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The sword thing was a production mistake, I don't blame post for it. Whoever the vfx supervisor was dropped the ball. You can't just mime that poo poo and hope it works out, nothing was connecting georgiou's arm to burnham's body and they were both moving around too much. Honestly the whole idea for the shot should have been reworked before it ever ended up in production.

e: the most obvious choice would be to use a half-sword prop so SMG could push against it and make realistic tension.

e2: or a loving stick with a pillow on it, for god's sake people put some effort in

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 22, 2020

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

e2: or a loving stick with a pillow on it, for god's sake people put some effort in

Some what now?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jihad Joe posted:

Is that MU Barclay?
Yeah. He's the head of security after he backstabbed Tasha Yar in the FCBD issue of the TNG Mirror Universe comics. Later on in a crossover plotline with the main universe, he decides to steal Prime Barclay's life.

I think the 'Worf is a slave on the Enterprise' is taken from the Dark Mirror novel, which predated the DS9 revisit. The TNG comics came after, hence their reimagined Terran Empire as basically vestigal.

Senor Tron posted:

I do like that in the evil Mirror Universe they still apparently respect Data to not have pulled him apart to make copies, Geordi was able to make a successful career despite being blind, and Picard hasn't thrown emo-Wesley out of an airlock.
That's the thing about Mirror Picard, is that he apparently has enough vision to actually foster some level of personal loyalty among his crew because he at least shows some level of respect for them as individuals, which is what makes him so dangerous. He actually shows some capacity for long-term thinking. Yar got murked by Barclay, but that's because Picard thought she was too short-sighted for the Empire's own good.

Even when Mirror Barclay gets dragged back to the Mirror Universe for his desertion, when he reveals he's gathered some useful information while he was there, Picard is willing to spare him (hell, even invites him to Ten Forward for celebratory drinks) when it turns out to be legitimate. I imagine a lot of mirror captains would be 'thanks for the information, now someone throw this guy out an airlock'.

Edit: also, Data would probably pull apart anyone trying to pull him apart.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah. He's the head of security after he backstabbed Tasha Yar in the FCBD issue of the TNG Mirror Universe comics. Later on in a crossover plotline with the main universe, he decides to steal Prime Barclay's life.

Wha—? WHY?! What kind of galaxy brain dill weed looks at Prime Universe Reginald Barclay’s life and goes “hmm, yes, THAT, that’s the life I will steal and impersonate. This person with his wasteland of a social life and veritable Noah’s Ark’s worth easily recognizable and hard to replicate quirks and tics, this is the person who I will fully and seamlessly subsume.”

I’m disappointed in Mirror Reg. He can do so much better...

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The sword thing was a production mistake, I don't blame post for it. Whoever the vfx supervisor was dropped the ball. You can't just mime that poo poo and hope it works out, nothing was connecting georgiou's arm to burnham's body and they were both moving around too much. Honestly the whole idea for the shot should have been reworked before it ever ended up in production.

e: the most obvious choice would be to use a half-sword prop so SMG could push against it and make realistic tension.

Are we at the point where they couldn't go back and redo stuff cause of covid? Like is this the best they could do given the circumstances?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

nine-gear crow posted:

Wha—? WHY?! What kind of galaxy brain dill weed looks at Prime Universe Reginald Barclay’s life and goes “hmm, yes, THAT, that’s the life I will steal and impersonate. This person with his wasteland of a social life and veritable Noah’s Ark’s worth easily recognizable and hard to replicate quirks and tics, this is the person who I will fully and seamlessly subsume.”

I mean, it's not like there's a lot of prime-universe doppelgängers he had to work with.

Also, everyone on the Enterprise-D were all like 'hey, Barclay's finally coming out of his shell and asserting himself! Good for him!'

And I imagine that not having to look over your shoulder every five seconds for someone looking to knife you is probably worth it.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

nine-gear crow posted:

“My life is very exciting but I wish I was a boring nobody” is a pretty good mirror of Barclay to be honest.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/david-cronenberg-star-trek-discovery-1234850680/

Great interview with Cronenberg. He'll be back in more S3 episodes and again for S4, which implies that S4 will stay in the future I guess?

tbh I'd be cool if they got the Burn problem out of the way and S4 was just straight-up "ok let's visit all the former Federation planets and get them to rejoin!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’d be down for S4: Diplomacy Corps

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/david-cronenberg-star-trek-discovery-1234850680/

Great interview with Cronenberg. He'll be back in more S3 episodes and again for S4, which implies that S4 will stay in the future I guess?

tbh I'd be cool if they got the Burn problem out of the way and S4 was just straight-up "ok let's visit all the former Federation planets and get them to rejoin!"

Third season in a row where the best thing anyone can say is "I hope they clear the central plot point of this season out of the way so that next season they can explore the promise of this great premise they've got".

Next season will just be another loving dumb story about how Michael has to save all of creation while crying and listening to everyone tell her how great she is.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The_Doctor posted:

I don't know if this is Stockholm Syndrome at this point or what but I mean :same:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The_Doctor posted:

Honestly this is what I wanted S3 to be

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I’ve been a pessimist on them keeping this cool setting, but this gives me hope that they’ll stay where they are. Rebuilding the federation and loving up pirates and planetary dictators would be great.

Humorously the loving up pirates and dictators part is something Georgiou would have been a decent fit for.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It is 100% Stockholm Syndrome for this mediocre show, but damned if they don't find just the right bread crumbs to keep me hoping.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

HD DAD posted:

In the mirror universe, goons are all-powerful Illuminati puppeteering nations.

No, the mirror universe is different from ours.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It is 100% Stockholm Syndrome for this mediocre show, but damned if they don't find just the right bread crumbs to keep me hoping.

I hate the fact I'm still watching this garbage because it's got the Star Trek label on it, but here I am.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Idk I’m enjoying Disco more consistently than I ever did Voyager.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Disco isn't great, but IMO it's been on a relatively consistent upswing. This season jettisoned Georgiou and if they can solve the Burn, there's a perfectly awesome 4th season in place. If the writers were smart (lol) they would realize that "convincing the rest of the galaxy that dilithium is safe again and the Federation is good again" is a pretty great season plot.

I think it's pretty high-stakes; that term doesn't necessarily have to mean "[bad guy] will wipe out all life in the galaxy." I mean, "hey everyone, warp works again, but now there's no galaxy-spanning organization keeping the peace" has a ton of potential.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would just like to see more of what is happening in the galaxy. We got some of that at the beginning of the season, but that has taken a backseat to the whole Burn mystery box and the conflicts with the Emerald Chain which I could really give two shits about.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Also “the burn started in a ‘dilithium nursery’ “ is just begging for them to not only to solve the burn, but to come out the other side with a dilithium printing machine that can be used to restart the federation.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Also “the burn started in a ‘dilithium nursery’ “ is just begging for them to not only to solve the burn, but to come out the other side with a dilithium printing machine that can be used to restart the federation.

Every time I wonder how they will solve the dilithium shortage once the cause of the Burn is identified, I have to remind myself that the Macguffin they used to travel to the future in the first place was literally a prototype dilithium recrystallizer

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want the burn to turn out to be a big practical joke on the Disco crew. Like they get to the center of the nebula and it’s just Vance and Book sitting there going “lol nerds”.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I want to crowdfund / petition CBS to hire someone to punch Alex Kurtzman or whoever any time one of them suggests another loving mystery box for S4.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

HD DAD posted:

I want the burn to turn out to be a big practical joke on the Disco crew. Like they get to the center of the nebula and it’s just Vance and Book sitting there going “lol nerds”.

The burn is actually one of Carl's tests and when they solve it he'll send them to the real future.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You actually thought there was a time machine?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If it turns out that all dilithium is a linked network of living organisms

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

The burn started on Risa. Admiral HyperRiker is patient zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I bet the Kelpians figured out how to fix their ship with all the baby dilithium they found. Then, they started the Emerald Chain.

The prey have become the hunters.