Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

Buddy, I have no idea what, if any, mechanics the second boss of Syrcus Tower has beyond "don't stand in these Tron-looking AoEs" and I don't intend to learn them anytime soon. :colbert:

The only two real mechanics beyond what you see nowadays were three add spawns that had to be killed next to some towers to the side, which would activate jump pads to let the alliances escape an arena-wide AoE, and Glasya spawning two bouncing sawblade AoEs that looked like pizzas. You can still sometimes see the latter in WoD with the Glasya lookalikes in the Atomos room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I wish Fates gave XP better than PotD so that there was a reason to do them.

They have actual lore and cool stuff in them but for some reason despite the fact that it would really liven up levelling and older expac areas to have people levelling alts in them instead you just jump into the Deep Dungeons and that's it.

Just balance it out so that PotD gives a little less XP in exchange for being able to sit in the same place while you queue.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Yo-kai event encouraged a lot of FATE completion

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Yo-kai event encouraged a lot of FATE completion

Also the second step of resistance weapons, at least in HW areas.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The adjustments made over time seem to point toward SE really making sure that signals are clear about DPS. Nearly all the mechanical failures in Eden Savage this tier are damage down punishments instead of vulnerability up. This prevents uptime strategies that intentionally fail mechanics through mitigation.

On top of that the Energy Drain changes means that it's barely a DPS gain when weaved with Ruin II and a loss if you clip Broil with it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
As promised, my FC's fish:

Charlie Tsunami

Bob Rivers

Booberry Schnapps

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"We will now be shutting down the servers for all worlds."

I am saying nothing but "shitshitshitshit" as I frantically click through the last two nodes of my leve and rush back to the Mean to turn it in to get my miner to level 80 right under the wire

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/Spainst8ofmind/status/1341096496268259328

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

bewilderment posted:

I wish Fates gave XP better than PotD so that there was a reason to do them.

They have actual lore and cool stuff in them but for some reason despite the fact that it would really liven up levelling and older expac areas to have people levelling alts in them instead you just jump into the Deep Dungeons and that's it.

Just balance it out so that PotD gives a little less XP in exchange for being able to sit in the same place while you queue.

Back in 2.0, FATEs were effectively the ONLY way to reliably level alts -- and mains, given the XP drought between 47 and 49. There were pretty much always FATE trains running in Northern Thanalan. It was the introduction of roulettes that killed that long before PotD did.

Waffleman_ posted:

I am saying nothing but "shitshitshitshit" as I frantically click through the last two nodes of my leve and rush back to the Mean to turn it in to get my miner to level 80 right under the wire

I was in the cutscene for arriving in Idyllshire on my alt. I fully expected the servers to go down RIGHT before the end of the cutscene, making me rewatch the whole thing...

derra
Dec 29, 2012
My wife just finished 3.3’s trial and subsequent cutscene under the wire.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I was afk in front of a retainer bell

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
I was so busy with holiday baking that I'd forgotten I didn't do my weekly Eden runs!

Got everything but E11 finished, and we only just barely managed to not clear E11, so that's. Something. I guess.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Copycat Zero posted:

Back in 2.0, FATEs were effectively the ONLY way to reliably level alts -- and mains, given the XP drought between 47 and 49. There were pretty much always FATE trains running in Northern Thanalan. It was the introduction of roulettes that killed that long before PotD did.

Sometimes I have nothing social happening on a Saturday and I've done all my roulettes but still wanna level something without doing PotD!

Alternatively I could be DPS and I don't want to wait fifteen minutes in between my queues. I could be doing Fates then instead of gathering.

Also while I'm giving out a lukewarm take every ten hours or so; I want to replace crafting/gathering with just turn-ins to NPCs and refocus dev time on the combat. I don't think player-driven economies are interesting relative to the time they take both to implement and participate in.
(obviously this is a wishlist for future MMOs, not "hurr if I complain here then the devs will notice me")

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh no now I realize I have to start gearing up and actually think about gathering :negative:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if you do fates in shadowbringers areas you can at least work on your shared fated ranks and get

an achievement

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've found some of the gem vendor items useful too. Like sea swallow skin.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Vitamean posted:

if you do fates in shadowbringers areas you can at least work on your shared fated ranks and get

an achievement
I love my mini amaro minion this was worth all the drat time it took to get max rank in all of the zones. Butterfly Effect also very good

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vitamean posted:

an achievement

dancer chocobo is worth it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I've found some of the gem vendor items useful too. Like sea swallow skin.

Having a bunch of bicolor gemstones was a godsend for ALC Ishgardian Restoration, since they're the most efficient way to get stacks of hoptrap leaves.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Once again I have failed to finish catbook...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh no now I realize I have to start gearing up and actually think about gathering :negative:

Get Facet gear if you can afford it. Use your weekly Custom Deliveries and collectible turnins to get White Scrip, and buy the Landsaint's gear with it. You'll be able to gather HQ from every node currently in the game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I can afford it, but I was saving up to be comfortable enough to pick up a calfskin jacket, so it'll hurt. I guess I can make it back easily.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm making my own facet gear, and I heard that pentamelding is a thing people do, but it doesn't seem possible to meld five materia on some pieces you would expect. All the stats are maxed out after 3 melds on my facet gathering coat and pants, for example. Did they change something, or did I do something wrong?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

if I'm looking at upgrading my trial account, do I just need this Shadowbringers purchase or do I need to buy the starter edition first?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

You will want the complete edition:

https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/599720/final-fantasy-xiv-online-complete-edition

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

A Moose posted:

I'm making my own facet gear, and I heard that pentamelding is a thing people do, but it doesn't seem possible to meld five materia on some pieces you would expect. All the stats are maxed out after 3 melds on my facet gathering coat and pants, for example. Did they change something, or did I do something wrong?

I can't imagine they did, which means you're probably reading it wrong. The big slots (coat and pants) should have enough room that even if you could penta meld VIII materia you wont hit the cap for craftsmanship. You can look up materia melding limits and chances info on http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/WVR which is set to weaver right now, but you can change to other classes if you care.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

A Moose posted:

Even using the absolute best materia it shouldn't be possible to max out a Facet Gathering Coat via pentamelding. Based on what I'm seeing on Ariyala, a HQ Facet Gathering Coat has room for 72 Gathering, 36 Perception, and 1 GP from materia melds. To get +72 Gathering, you'd need 3x Guerdon VIIIs and 1x Gurdeon VII, leaving only 1 slot. Are you sure you're reading the stats right?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Chakan posted:

I can't imagine they did, which means you're probably reading it wrong. The big slots (coat and pants) should have enough room that even if you could penta meld VIII materia you wont hit the cap for craftsmanship. You can look up materia melding limits and chances info on http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/WVR which is set to weaver right now, but you can change to other classes if you care.

Either they hosed with the values at some point, or gathering just works differently than crafting, because this is what I get in the sim and in game.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
It's possible to cap the pants and boots in four melds, because SE isn't consistent about stat budgets on crafting and gathering gear. You might be thinking it's 3 because the number turns red when you won't get the full benefit, like if there's only 1 gp to go and you're trying to use an 8 gp materia, but you can still do it for the partial benefit.

That being said, pentamelding is something people do to maximize stats, but it's not necessary for everyday use. Especially facet gear, which has already been replaced by aesthete gear. I've gathered all the materials for the latest crafts without spending the money to pentameld everything.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ah, I'm glad I asked. I had assumed that Shadowbringers package included everything before. thanks, pal

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Yeah, as an added note--I wouldn't bother pentamelding Facet Gear at this point, not if you're just planning to use it as a stepping stone to Landsaint/Aesthete gear.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

Yeah, as an added note--I wouldn't bother pentamelding Facet Gear at this point, not if you're just planning to use it as a stepping stone to Landsaint/Aesthete gear.

Good to know. at this point, I don't have full facet, but I had a ton of materia in my inventory, so I figured I'd just max out the non-tool facet pieces I have to make it easier to make the rest of the facet gear, and then the Aesthete's gear

I also just realized that it's actually cheaper to just buy Sublime Solutions instead of grinding white scrip. Turns out the ingredients for Rarefied Anything are worth way more than the 5k the solutions are going for

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

A Moose posted:

Either they hosed with the values at some point, or gathering just works differently than crafting, because this is what I get in the sim and in game.

Crafting and gathering gear budget is different than combat gear. Legs and feet have the lowest stat budget I believe, while head and chest have the biggest. Pull up the chest and/or head to see if you'd be able to pentameld those without capping.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

A Moose posted:

Good to know. at this point, I don't have full facet, but I had a ton of materia in my inventory, so I figured I'd just max out the non-tool facet pieces I have to make it easier to make the rest of the facet gear, and then the Aesthete's gear

I also just realized that it's actually cheaper to just buy Sublime Solutions instead of grinding white scrip. Turns out the ingredients for Rarefied Anything are worth way more than the 5k the solutions are going for

Any drops from 80 dungeons can desynth to Sublime, it’s how I get all of mine.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I realise this will vary from server to server, but would you get a better turnaround by cashing those in for GC tokens to flip for cash?

Assuming you don't get other good things from the desynth, which I haven't really seen in my limited desynth experience... :(

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
You can't pentameld facet gear!
You will regret this!

If you have the resources for that it is way way way cheaper to buy the mats for aesthete's, get someone on PF to craft it for you, and resign yourself to mashing pentamelds into every piece of gear. Every materia you slot into facet gear is one that you potentially won't be able to use for your final set.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

if youre gonna spend resources to penta facet instead of already having it, youre better off:
buying aesthete gear outright
or
getting the mats and having a crafting friend jumpstart you

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Had a sudden epiphany in the middle of the day and logged in only to learn you can't put spaces in your chocobo's name, which is a huge disappointment, because now I have nowhere to put the name "Minfilia Wark".

e: going with "Warkmech" for now but it just doesn't roll off the tongue.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 22, 2020

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

spoilery image for the level 50 dark knight quest

facing off with my nemesis: me but clothed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Valentin posted:

Had a sudden epiphany in the middle of the day and logged in only to learn you can't put spaces in your chocobo's name, which is a huge disappointment, because now I have nowhere to put the name "Minfilia Wark".

e: going with "Warkmech" for now but it just doesn't roll off the tongue.

Mine is Kwehzacoatl and my S/O's is Panzerkwehwagon.